Options

Pearl jam & Metallica

2»

Comments

• Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    the shortest metallica song played live is also 7 minutes. their shows are usually from 2 hours to 2 hours 15 minutes. i think for any band that's pretty good. sure we have it good here with 2 hours 30 minutes shows but other bands like kings of leon only play 1 hour 30 minutes.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    QT31085 wrote:
    They also rarely play Load Re-Load stuff which is a good thing.

hey. "bleeding me" and "waste my hate" are two of their best songs. and this is coming from a long time fan.
    Bleeding me, King Nothing amazing songs.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I've seen both bands multiple times and , while PJ is my favorite band, I've nothing but good things to say about the amazing Metallica shows I've seen. Best Metallica show was the free parking lot show in Philly about 12 years ago or so .
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    So my friend saw metallica the other week and he was bragging about them....he was saying how much of a kickass setlist they played. So today I was checking the setlists for metallica (laughable) OMG 18 frickin songs a night and almost the same damn setlist everynight.....maybe a song change here or two. Not what I expected from them. Not here to start a battle.....but you guys don't know how good we have it.

Scott
    So there you have it, Scott. Several pages of evidence that while PJ fans appreciate what we have (2-3 hr shows, 25 songs per night), you could do far worse than Metallica for a live experience. Maybe next time you should go with your buddy and see what all the fuss is about.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    QT31085 wrote:
    So my friend saw metallica the other week and he was bragging about them....he was saying how much of a kickass setlist they played. So today I was checking the setlists for metallica (laughable) OMG 18 frickin songs a night and almost the same damn setlist everynight.....maybe a song change here or two. Not what I expected from them. Not here to start a battle.....but you guys don't know how good we have it.

Scott

would you rather see vitalogy era pearl jam (my personal choice for their best live era) or do you see justice era metallica (89 to 90)?

i think i'd have to go with metallica.

Your way off the mark there... Pearl Jam by a land slide any era...
    I totally agree, although it seems in this thread we are the minority. ;) I saw them live in 1994, I was/had been a big fan, and it was absolutely one of the worst concerts I've ever been to. They were just so whiny the entire show. It actually ruined them for me - can't stand them anymore. I tried to watch them at the Bridge in 2007 and had to leave.....:( That and their attitudes/stances don't help at all. To each his own, but I don't think much of them as you can tell. You couldn't pay me enough to go to see them. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    DocChicago wrote:

Scott
    So there you have it, Scott. Several pages of evidence that while PJ fans appreciate what we have (2-3 hr shows, 25 songs per night), you could do far worse than Metallica for a live experience. Maybe next time you should go with your buddy and see what all the fuss is about.

I agree but i wont pay for the ticket :evil:

Scott
    10/01/96 9/08/98 9/10/98 9/11/98 8/23/00 8/24/00
    8/25/00 8/27/00 8/29/00 8/30/00 9/01/00 9/02/00
    4/28/03 4/29/03 4/30/03 5/02/03 7/05/03 7/06/03
    7/08/03 7/09/03 7/14/03 <---front row shook hands with ed.
    10/3/05 5/13/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 6/01/06 6/3/06
    6/24/06 6/19/08 6/20/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09
    10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/15/10 5/18/10 5/20/10
    5/21/10 9/7/11
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    My second favorite band to see live(can you guess the first? ;)), but I totally get your point about the setlists.

p.s. I got beer thrown on me at the last Metallica concert I went to. It was ok though, Kirk threw it. :P
  • Options

Scott

eh.... I've seen 'tallica a few times and yeah, I guess you're right. Apart from one show where they played Master of Puppets from beginning to end (including Orion) and a few favourites with friends (Die, Die My Darling with Pepper Keenan from CoC) which was incredible... their sets have been pretty much the same... not that that's a bad thing.

Some PJ fans don't know how good they got it sometimes. I've only seen them at Reading '06 and Wembley '07 but damn, I danced my ass off at both shows and the setlists were so different PLUS they were 27 (Wembley) and 26 (Reading) songs long! Incredible :mrgreen:

And to think... a friend said that the two sets I saw "weren't that good" :roll:

I agree. There are far worse live experiences out there than Metallica though...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    first saw Metallica live in 86 and there are not many bands that kick it live like them. They are absolute masters. Ok, the setlist doesn't vary much from night to night, but you cant compain about 18 songs. each song is about two weeks long! Regularly you will get a three hour set from them if you catch them live. Pearl Jam are the greatest live band I have ever seen, hands down, but Metallica even after 25 years still take some beating
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist
  • Options
    CobCob Posts: 857
    Cob wrote:
    I saw Metallica in November and they were freaking AWESOME, they do play some of the same songs every night, but they also change the set list like PJ does. Last summer I saw PJ both shows at MSG, Hartford and both Boston shows and I heard SEVERAL (Alive, Betterman) songs almost every night. So I'm always amazed at people that think Pearl Jam play a completely different show every night, they don't.

I saw Grateful Dead about 170 times and I can tell you one thing, you could go 5 or 6 shows before you would hear a repeat, same with Phish, so give me a break about Pearl Jam playing a "different" set every night. I love all kinds of music and very much enjoy going to concerts, I'm a HUGE PJ fan, but just like the Dead, I DO NOT COMPARE every band or concert I see or hear about to the Daed or Pearl Jam, it's like comparing apples and cannon balls.

I saw Metallica as well a few weeks ago and they put on an entertaining show, and everyone was into it. 2008 may not be the best example, but PJ generally changes 10-15 songs from night to night at least. You still hear alot of the big songs. Metallica may be able to change some of the songs up, but I doubt they change that many. When I saw Tool, they put on an awesome show, but would change the set by maybe two songs. A lot of bands are like that.

And you can't complare PJ to the dead or phish, neither of those bands acheived the commercial success that PJ did. They play a differnt type of music.

I don't think you can compare Metallica to PJ either and I could care less about what kind of commercial success PJ has had compared to Grateful Dead and Phish, the point I am trying to make is I get tired of people trying to make it seem like PJ plays a completely different show every night, they don't. I was using the example of Phish and the Grateful Dead as bands that DO play a completely different show every night and RARELY play the same songs 2 nights in a row. And 2008 was no different than any other year as far as I can tell with Pearl Jam, there's nothing wrong with it, I just think some fans get a little carried away with the whole, they play a different set every night thing.
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Options
    So today I was checking the setlists for metallica (laughable) OMG 18 frickin songs a night and almost the same damn setlist everynight.....maybe a song change here or two.

Scott

Not changing up the setlist is lame but 18 songs isn't bad. You have to remember that the average Metallica song....especially live....is much longer than the average PJ song