Paddys daY '09

2»

Comments

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    start off at 8am down at a weekend parade and tailgate the hell out of it. then back home for a big family and friends party...good stuff.
    :D sounds fun.
    it is. we do our best to represent. a million laughs.
    I love to turn you on
  • start off at 8am down at a weekend parade and tailgate the hell out of it. then back home for a big family and friends party...good stuff.
    :D sounds fun.
    it is. we do our best to represent. a million laughs.
    Same here :D the best weekend of the year... ok, Christmas comes a close second :D but yep, EVERYBODY goes out, you get to meet people from ALL over the world celebrating their Irishness... you eat, drink and be merry... sure, you get the same drunken eejits you get with every holiday (at least they don't tend to have fireworks :shock: ) but you avoid them just like every holiday :mrgreen: . Food's not part of the holiday... you eat only to line your stomach and then just go out to have a FANTASTIC time :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    well i am sure st paddy's day is just as huge in chicago as it is in NY....and it's just not my thing. there is nothing 'special' about it that i find worth celebrating. as i said, i don't like the beer, nor whiskey, or any of the food.....so just not my thing. whereas cinco de mayo, don't much care about the actual 'holiday' either....but the food and drink are spectacular, LOVE it....people don't get sooo ridiculously drunk or obnoxious...and sure, most of the mex places play it up, have specials etc....so it makes it worth going out for. i am SURE loads of places do the same for st paddy's but since none of it appeals to me...getting a corned beef and cabbage on special, yea...not for me. nor beer specials, green beeer, etc, etc. but those who DO enjoy - always hope they have a blast! we all have our fave holidays for different reasons. if it weren't so *big* in NY, or if i didn't have a lot of family of irish descent, i'd not even ever give it a second thought.

That's what I was talking about... we called it amateur night because a lot of people that don't ever party or drink go out and get sloppy, obnoxiously, annoyingly drunk. Makes it a pain to celebrate :) I'm sure it's better in Ireland or other places where people know how to hold their liquor!
  • well i am sure st paddy's day is just as huge in chicago as it is in NY....and it's just not my thing. there is nothing 'special' about it that i find worth celebrating. as i said, i don't like the beer, nor whiskey, or any of the food.....so just not my thing. whereas cinco de mayo, don't much care about the actual 'holiday' either....but the food and drink are spectacular, LOVE it....people don't get sooo ridiculously drunk or obnoxious...and sure, most of the mex places play it up, have specials etc....so it makes it worth going out for. i am SURE loads of places do the same for st paddy's but since none of it appeals to me...getting a corned beef and cabbage on special, yea...not for me. nor beer specials, green beeer, etc, etc. but those who DO enjoy - always hope they have a blast! we all have our fave holidays for different reasons. if it weren't so *big* in NY, or if i didn't have a lot of family of irish descent, i'd not even ever give it a second thought.

That's what I was talking about... we called it amateur night because a lot of people that don't ever party or drink go out and get sloppy, obnoxiously, annoyingly drunk. Makes it a pain to celebrate :) I'm sure it's better in Ireland or other places where people know how to hold their liquor!

well holding down the liquor well or not...i know some real 'pros' at drinking who still manage to make obnoxious drunks :P...and/or just really, really loud, etc....and that's not my thing. it's all good to go out and party, have a blast, etc......but when the entire place is like that....yea. i know many love it, i don't. also why NYE doesn't do much for me either, not big public parties anyway. sure i enjoy wlecoming in the new year, but again, i don't need to do so surrounded by utter drunks. as for paddy's day, there's nothing at all for me to want to celebrate, personally, so i don't. that's why i say - the drink, the food, even the music...none of it appeals to me, forget the actual saint being 'celebrated' so i wait for other holidays that appeal to me. but sure, hearing stories and/or seeing pics from some who truly do enjoy the day...always a good laugh! :) we all have our celebrations!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    im doing a bar crawl of the parade route this year or maybe try to see dropkick murphy's in boston
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I will probably wear green and have some cornbeef and cabbage :D
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • well holding down the liquor well or not...i know some real 'pros' at drinking who still manage to make obnoxious drunks :P...and/or just really, really loud, etc....and that's not my thing. it's all good to go out and party, have a blast, etc......but when the entire place is like that....yea. i know many love it, i don't. also why NYE doesn't do much for me either, not big public parties anyway. sure i enjoy wlecoming in the new year, but again, i don't need to do so surrounded by utter drunks. as for paddy's day, there's nothing at all for me to want to celebrate, personally, so i don't. that's why i say - the drink, the food, even the music...none of it appeals to me, forget the actual saint being 'celebrated' so i wait for other holidays that appeal to me. but sure, hearing stories and/or seeing pics from some who truly do enjoy the day...always a good laugh! :) we all have our celebrations!
    yeh yeh yeh we get it... woop de doo for you :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • We're aiming to join the celebrations at yours Helen if it's still ok?
    We only got online and onto facebook last night :oops: :(
    Of course... that's what the invitation's there for :D . I was gonna send you a message one of these days to see what the hell's going on :mrgreen: but that's excellent... Friday and Saturday night, both welcome but we'll sort the details closer to the time. About a week before I'll prob just send a message to everyone asking when they're coming. A few have already booked their trains though so that's cool... and we'll be good for putting people up cos Jody and Chris have kindly offered to help out :D

yeah we secured our usual sofa spot last night :mrgreen:
    We'll only be coming for one night though i'm afraid. We have two new rescue cats and we don't want to leave them for more than one night on their own :oops:

We were planning on coming on the Saturday afternoon and staying the night, is that when everyone's gonna be there? :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I started planning mine a few weeks ago... since I'm now in England and me and the bf are moving house next weekend... we (I) decided the best time to have the housewarming is on Paddys weekend :mrgreen: so there are some of our friends from here and plenty of jammers from over England and maybe Wales coming :D for the weekend. It's gonna be a housewarming/Paddys day party and there'll be RUGBY wooooooooooooooooo :D I'm looking forward to it as much as moving :mrgreen: as there are some people who I haven't seen in a long long time coming, surfy and hinny, yip that's you two :mrgreen:

This is where I'll be ... trains booked :)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    well i am sure st paddy's day is just as huge in chicago as it is in NY....and it's just not my thing. there is nothing 'special' about it that i find worth celebrating. as i said, i don't like the beer, nor whiskey, or any of the food.....so just not my thing. whereas cinco de mayo, don't much care about the actual 'holiday' either....but the food and drink are spectacular, LOVE it....people don't get sooo ridiculously drunk or obnoxious...and sure, most of the mex places play it up, have specials etc....so it makes it worth going out for. i am SURE loads of places do the same for st paddy's but since none of it appeals to me...getting a corned beef and cabbage on special, yea...not for me. nor beer specials, green beeer, etc, etc. but those who DO enjoy - always hope they have a blast! we all have our fave holidays for different reasons. if it weren't so *big* in NY, or if i didn't have a lot of family of irish descent, i'd not even ever give it a second thought.

it does ruin it for pro's like me :lol: , thats why i've stayed away from the city alot. yes i'll admit im the typical america irish decent person that can handle there own. but i take great pride in being irish. i've always wanted to live over in ireland and learn everything i can bout the great the country
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Helen.... just went into facebook :oops:

I would love to come but unfortunately, it won't be possible. I know you guys will all have a great time!
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    We're aiming to join the celebrations at yours Helen if it's still ok?
    We only got online and onto facebook last night :oops: :(
    Of course... that's what the invitation's there for :D . I was gonna send you a message one of these days to see what the hell's going on :mrgreen: but that's excellent... Friday and Saturday night, both welcome but we'll sort the details closer to the time. About a week before I'll prob just send a message to everyone asking when they're coming. A few have already booked their trains though so that's cool... and we'll be good for putting people up cos Jody and Chris have kindly offered to help out :D

yeah we secured our usual sofa spot last night :mrgreen:
    We'll only be coming for one night though i'm afraid. We have two new rescue cats and we don't want to leave them for more than one night on their own :oops:

We were planning on coming on the Saturday afternoon and staying the night, is that when everyone's gonna be there? :)
    I'll just be following Sandra and Pippa around since I have not a clue about where Kidderminster is relative to London. For all I know, Kidderminster sounds like the residence of some clergy member who likes to joke.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • JK8495JK8495 Posts: 101
    a bunch of sloppy drunks running around ...SUPER :roll:
  • Hinn wrote:
    I'll just be following Sandra and Pippa around since I have not a clue about where Kidderminster is relative to London. For all I know, Kidderminster sounds like the residence of some clergy member who likes to joke.

Kidderminster is about 130 miles North West of London... Near Birmingham, I suppose :)

I'll find out where Pip and Sandra are gonna be and when, then and we'll plan our sole night of drinking around you lot :mrgreen: I shouldv'e known to talk to the brains of the operation first really... :lol:;)

Sooooooooo looking forward to seeing you Hinn :mrgreen:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Chime wrote:
    I started planning mine a few weeks ago... since I'm now in England and me and the bf are moving house next weekend... we (I) decided the best time to have the housewarming is on Paddys weekend :mrgreen: so there are some of our friends from here and plenty of jammers from over England and maybe Wales coming :D for the weekend. It's gonna be a housewarming/Paddys day party and there'll be RUGBY wooooooooooooooooo :D I'm looking forward to it as much as moving :mrgreen: as there are some people who I haven't seen in a long long time coming, surfy and hinny, yip that's you two :mrgreen:

OK... lets make sure we get the right bloody day this time! :P :lol:

When will you guys be in Kiddy? Friday? Saturday? or both? :mrgreen:

If it's Friday I'll see if I can book a half day off at work 8-)

Unfortunately we can only make one night as we can't leave the new kitty cats too long with strangers :)

• yeah we secured our usual sofa spot last night :mrgreen:

whenever you wanna come is fine :) just don't be ringing up bothering me trying to find the house during the rugby :D that's what Jody's there for :):lol:

Redrock, that's ok, I sent you the invite but I knew it would be difficult for you obviously. We'll catch up soon enough :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Chime wrote:

OK... lets make sure we get the right bloody day this time! :P :lol:

When will you guys be in Kiddy? Friday? Saturday? or both? :mrgreen:

If it's Friday I'll see if I can book a half day off at work 8-)

Unfortunately we can only make one night as we can't leave the new kitty cats too long with strangers :)
    I'm pretty sure most are coming for the two nights... why don't you just get the train over Friday night and Dave can find his own way on the Saturday? :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I'm pretty sure most are coming for the two nights... why don't you just get the train over Friday night and Dave can find his own way on the Saturday? :D

He just read that suggestion... I don't think it went down very well :? :lol:

We'll probably just stay on the Saturday night but as I said, it depends on what everyone else is doing. We'll sort it out... we have plenty of time :)

I am soooooooooo looking forward to this :mrgreen:

• I'm pretty sure most are coming for the two nights... why don't you just get the train over Friday night and Dave can find his own way on the Saturday? :D

He just read that suggestion... I don't think it went down very well :? :lol:

We'll probably just stay on the Saturday night but as I said, it depends on what everyone else is doing. We'll sort it out... we have plenty of time :)

I am soooooooooo looking forward to this :mrgreen:
    well everyone's staying the Saturday night and most are staying the Friday night too... so it's up to you :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • I'm taking a trip to Ireland! Seriously, the tickets are dirt cheap right now so my buddy and I booked a flight last week. If all goes according to plan, I'll be dancing in a pub somewhere on the west coast sipping REAL Guinness. I will miss the corned beef and cabbage though--that's a strictly Irish-American thing. :)
  • dcasey wrote:
    I'm taking a trip to Ireland! Seriously, the tickets are dirt cheap right now so my buddy and I booked a flight last week. If all goes according to plan, I'll be dancing in a pub somewhere on the west coast sipping REAL Guinness. I will miss the corned beef and cabbage though--that's a strictly Irish-American thing. :)
    :mrgreen: excellent! Ya been before or want any advice on places (pubs) to go to or things to do? West coast is a GREAT choice... everyone goes to Dublin... but ya gotta go to the West :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    dcasey wrote:
    I'm taking a trip to Ireland! Seriously, the tickets are dirt cheap right now so my buddy and I booked a flight last week. If all goes according to plan, I'll be dancing in a pub somewhere on the west coast sipping REAL Guinness. I will miss the corned beef and cabbage though--that's a strictly Irish-American thing. :)
    :mrgreen: excellent! Ya been before or want any advice on places (pubs) to go to or things to do? West coast is a GREAT choice... everyone goes to Dublin... but ya gotta go to the West :D

speaking from a tourist point of view (was there 6 years ago today...) galway is the shit. the quay is a great spot. i'm sure helen and the lot will get you some great pubs to hit! (effing jealous!)
    I love to turn you on
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Just duck into one where they're all speaking Irish inside and no English, with some mucking around on a fiddle.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!

• speaking from a tourist point of view (was there 6 years ago today...) galway is the shit. the quay is a great spot. i'm sure helen and the lot will get you some great pubs to hit! (effing jealous!)
    Galway is one of the best cities in the world IMO... the Quays is great... and the kings head also... I brought newagehippie and buru to both of those pubs when we were in Galway. Hinn, lol those pubs are great... you feel like a part of the furniture after about ten minutes but you usually have to go out of the city to the prettier spots to find them.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    pjscreamer wrote:
    Alright suckas were almost 1 month away from Da kids fav holiday what are all U suckas got in mind.......Da kids going to Chicago and seeing da parade and trying a Shamrock shake for da first time then go home to Da parade in Da city and getting hammered and watching Da BOONDOCK SANTS!

dats alot of da's

how was the trip
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/