Options

"Oceans" EDITED on Unplugged DVD

2»

Comments

• Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    CJMST3K wrote:
    Songburst wrote:
    Haha. It's the musical equivalent of removing a tattoo.

Kinda! It's like an altered tattoo. It's like you know that millions of people are familiar with your tattoo, and love it's craftsmanship... and you say "hey, give me money and I'll give you a copy of my tattoo!" and we gladly pay you and all get the copy, but it's not the same tattoo, and it's missing something over here, and it's missing a big part over there. Well, for some of us, we thought we were getting a copy of the real thing.

Ya -- I was a little disappointed with the Unplugged DVD, but what are you gonna do?

When they get into Kiss territory and re-record songs in the studio for live albums, then I might fly off the handle a bit -- then again, I have a few dozen unedited PJ DVDs to tide me over should that day ever come.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    bruce wrote:
    I am the only one who is surprised that the Ten Club now promotes the stick man figure, when just a few years ago they made a dig at it for being too cliche.

That is more important than the Springsteen silly-rant!

The last couple months, I've been thinking "surely I'm not the only person who remembers just 5 years ago or so, when they had the Ten Club contest 'design the Ten Club flag' and they said entries could not feature the stickman logo??" Remember that? I can't believe there's so much stickman stuff. I used to have a vinyl sticker of the stickman on my car back in the day...I took off the Pearl Jam part, and just had the stickman. But that was even about 10 years ago!

I can't say I'm happy with the Oceans edit. I haven't watched my DVD yet (just came last night), but I think that is uncool. Any live performance, or recorded music, is a snapshot in time. To go back and take stuff out just doesn't seem right. People's lives change in that time, but not the performance, which happened once. It'd be like if the BO'B mixes on the new stuff took out all the "fuck"s because the band and more of its listeners now have kids. Guess what, most of us are not with the same partner today that we may have been in 1992! It doesn't mean it wasn't a part of our lives.

Still, the band can do whatever it wants. :)
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    I thought that was a typical Bruce performance, I'm not a huge fan of his, but he didn't "pop" himself out or anything. Thats how his shows are. He runs around, is full of energy and dramatics. Not sure where your coming from at all with that one.

I agree with you. I havent been to a bruce show yet, but from what my music industry professor (also an employee of the E-Street Band) said that brice does all sorts of cheesy things during his shows and is very energetic.
    2006: Albany
    2008: MSG I, MSG II, Newark(EV)
    2009: Albany 1-2(EV), Philly 3
    2010: Boston, MSG I
    2013: Buffalo, Brooklyn II, Hartford
    2016: MSG 1, MSG II, Fenway 1
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,890
    Any live performance, or recorded music, is a snapshot in time. To go back and take stuff out just doesn't seem right.

well said. worst part is that i think the band used to feel this way.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    It is BULLSHIT to hear that the Unplugged show has been edited. I have not gotten my SDE yet but I cannot believe RITFW is not being shown!

So how about the end of Black when Eddie is screaming, "We belong together!" Should that be edited out?Because he was probably talking about somebody (ex-girlfriend) who is not a part of his life now.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    FY51755 wrote:

So how about the end of Black when Eddie is screaming, "We belong together!"

They took that out and overdubbed it with a series of grunts. Now it's "Grunt Grunt-grunt Doh-grunt-err."

Just kidding. I haven't even watched it yet, I've just read about the editing on here.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Too bad they edited Oceans and did not put Rockin in the Free World on the DVD. I have not gotten mine...it is set to be delivered tomorrow but lucky for me I have the unedited version of MTV Unplugged so I can watch this in its original form.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,118
    Eddie Vedder is the new George Lucas.

For VS they will rerealese it with Boom on organ for 75% of the songs. And they will CG in Matts face over Daves.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    We really got screwed by not having the full, unedited Unplugged performance released on DVD. There is no excuse for it if you ask me.

One of the few Nirvana releases that was actually done very well was the release of the Unplugged performance on DVD. You have both the broadcast and complete, unaired versions. That's exactly how it should have been considering how widely bootlegged/circulated it was.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    you guys are argueing about a tiny edit that lasts a half a second!?!?! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

who the hell cares?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,118
    Well it seems people do care. So, show some respect to them.

It's like changing a films AR from its OAR 2.35 to 1.78 for a DVD realese. It's just wrong.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    First let me say the edit doesn't bother me at all, but there's something else missing from "Oceans" on the DVD. At the end where Eddie says "It's a love song about my surf board" or something along those lines, they cut right there to the next song. But in the original airing Eddie says this;

" It's a love song about my surf board", (crowd claps, laughs etc..), then Eddie continues "Actually it's about a girl named Beth".
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    STT757 wrote:
    First let me say the edit doesn't bother me at all, but there's something else missing from "Oceans" on the DVD. At the end where Eddie says "It's a love song about my surf board" or something along those lines, they cut right there to the next song. But in the original airing Eddie says this;

" It's a love song about my surf board", (crowd claps, laughs etc..), then Eddie continues "Actually it's about a girl named Beth".
    Doesn't he say that before SOLAT?
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,773
    If the seperation was nasty, could there be some sort of legal issue involved?

Heh, I actually have a VCD marked "Pearl Jam Unplugged." I may have to put it in some day and see if it's the real thing, now that I know about this edit.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    PappasPappas Posts: 809
    cant wait to see the new version of the dvd

pearl jam unplugged is awesome, but nirvana and alice in chains unplugged were better

there was no need to do songs like evenflow and jeremy unplugged, but they were obviously pressured into doing hits. Pearl Jams unplugged could have been so much better if they threw in footsteps and wash instead

Even Flow Psycho Member #039

******Message Pit Australian Tour Members********
    rumour starter President & Member #1

www.myspace.com/pappas99