Options

Will the economy affect YOUR pj purchases this year?

Comments

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    agreed....my days of traveling to see shows is over and done....

in 2003-2004-2006....i traveled all the fuck over...and it was fun...and i had a great time....

but the chances of me doing something like that are 1%......the new album would have to be the second coming of VS. or the second coming of Yield in order for me to even think about traveling for shows....

Same here... even if the album was epic, I don't see the necessity to see 5 or 6 or 10 shows on a tour. I have plenty of other reasons to travel now which don't include Pearl Jam... especially with my g/f's friends getting married every fuckin year ;) and now her brother most likely getting a job in Cali, so there's another destination.

Plus, being in Philly, I can most likely see 3 or 4 shows within a couple of hours driving distance if I really wanted to :mrgreen:
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:

in 2003-2004-2006....i traveled all the fuck over...and it was fun...and i had a great time....

but the chances of me doing something like that are 1%......the new album would have to be the second coming of VS. or the second coming of Yield in order for me to even think about traveling for shows....

Same here... even if the album was epic, I don't see the necessity to see 5 or 6 or 10 shows on a tour. I have plenty of other reasons to travel now which don't include Pearl Jam... especially with my g/f's friends getting married every fuckin year ;) and now her brother most likely getting a job in Cali, so there's another destination.

Plus, being in Philly, I can most likely see 3 or 4 shows within a couple of hours driving distance if I really wanted to :mrgreen:
    yeah...you people on the east coast have it made....but even if i was in your situation and could see 4-5 shows within a 90 mile radius.....i wouldnt do it...

the shows to me in 2006 just seemed to blend into each other....i know they change up the setlists...i know they put on tremendous shows....i know every show is unique........

but after a few shows in 2006....i just got really fucking bored with the whole thing.....

lolla was a great time.....and i was lucky it was in my home town....

and im a liitle older and a little wiser these days....im not dropping $2000-$3000 traveling to see a rock band......its just not going to fucking happen.....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:

yeah...you people on the east coast have it made....but even if i was in your situation and could see 4-5 shows within a 90 mile radius.....i wouldnt do it...

the shows to me in 2006 just seemed to blend into each other....i know they change up the setlists...i know they put on tremendous shows....i know every show is unique........

but after a few shows in 2006....i just got really fucking bored with the whole thing.....

lolla was a great time.....and i was lucky it was in my home town....

and im a liitle older and a little wiser these days....im not dropping $2000-$3000 traveling to see a rock band......its just not going to fucking happen.....

I'm hoping to spend less than $2000 on all my travels this year. That includes concerts, shows and whatnot. Already spent over $100 for Neil Young tickets, another $200 for Springsteen coming up, tickets to see Rent, airfare to Michigan at least once this summer, PJ shows, and whatever else pops up (baseball, hockey games, whatever). Sooo many better things to do with my money than follow Pearl Jam around the country.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

• Options
    dont get me wrong.....if Pearl Jam showed up at alpine valley this year for a couple of shows....i would pack up the car...bring my grill...and have one hell of a tailgate party...

but those would be the only shows i would go to...

and that would depend on if they were weekend dates.....i am not wasting vacation days or sick days to go see a rock concert that i have already seen 30 times.....

and i thought by taking the 2008 tour off....and not attending any shows ...i would maybe change my attitude..

i havent......
  • Options
    dont get me wrong.....if Pearl Jam showed up at alpine valley this year for a couple of shows....i would pack up the car...bring my grill...and have one hell of a tailgate party...

but those would be the only shows i would go to...

and that would depend on if they were weekend dates.....i am not wasting vacation days or sick days to go see a rock concert that i have already seen 30 times.....

and i thought by taking the 2008 tour off....and not attending any shows ...i would maybe change my attitude..

i havent......

I'm with you.. for me the specialness of shows (venues) definitely factors in and when during the week they are. Last tour, we hit MSG 1 after 2 Camden shows and then drove the next morning at 6AM for 16 hours to Michigan. It was a great experience and well worth it but that doesn't mean I need to hit MSG again this year. Shows at the Spectrum this year would be must see. And if they hit Red Rocks, I'd definitely consider getting my ass there, but I can't think of any other places I'd have to travel to see them. Although I know the g/f would be dying to hit Alpine Valley if there were shows there.

I look at it this way, I only have so much disposable income, and I'd rather vary my experiences rather than drop a few grand seeing the same band play a couple of songs I may have never heard live before. I love the live experience of this band but I don't need to experience it 5, 6, or 7 times a tour.. as you said it all starts to blur into one big show and that's not what I want to remember.

Admin

• Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    it's causing me to think twice about things. a couple of years ago, i would have ordered the super-happy-fantastic deluxe ten resissue within the first minute of availability. but now, i'll settle for the $33 deal.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I am only doing it if I can use airline miles and hotel points to do it. I will also probably just pick one city and that's it. If they do a 2 night stand somewhere (Boston, Chicago, Toronto, etc.) and it is on a weekend, then that one wins.

Unfortunately, being here in Texas, if I ever want to see them again I have to travel. I just don't see them coming back down here again. They haven't played a show in this state in 5 1/2 fucking years!! And even if they do play here, they will play one show in Dallas and then the nearest big city is 300 miles away anyway.

I don't know. I go back and forth on it. If I have to pay for airfare and hotel, then no. If I can swing that stuff for free, then probably, if I can go to a city where I can get more than one show in.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    I am only doing it if I can use airline miles and hotel points to do it. I will also probably just pick one city and that's it. If they do a 2 night stand somewhere (Boston, Chicago, Toronto, etc.) and it is on a weekend, then that one wins.

Unfortunately, being here in Texas, if I ever want to see them again I have to travel. I just don't see them coming back down here again. They haven't played a show in this state in 5 1/2 fucking years!! And even if they do play here, they will play one show in Dallas and then the nearest big city is 300 miles away anyway.

I don't know. I go back and forth on it. If I have to pay for airfare and hotel, then no. If I can swing that stuff for free, then probably, if I can go to a city where I can get more than one show in.
    if i had some posters to flip i would consider traveling....

but i have already flipped all my posters.....

hehehehehehehehe................
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I have already started to significantly cut back on poster purchases, although that didn't really have anything directly to do with the economy.

As far as traveling to shows - it depends where they tour this year and how good the new album is. But I would guess that I will be taking one trip somewhere that I can't drive to see see a few shows. And then go to anything that I can drive to. So I guess not much of a change there.
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    ZosoCatZosoCat Posts: 176
    the economy and the staate of finances will def affect how many shows I go to next tour.. Well at this stage anyway depending on my finances and the economy.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,922
    If they keep rising costs of airplane rides, gas, hotel stay's etc.. but of course things will change! I'm kinda surprised with this 'recession' jam; shouldn't the cost of goods & services fall .. make things cheaper for customers to shop? I don't see much of that ... as of late. Don't see any huge sales at the stores, everything is priced way too high. Who is to blame?

One thing I see, is that everything we receive into this Country is Made In China! My profession, I'm a ceramic tile & marble, granite, slate installer .. and lately everything coming in by the crates are Made In China! I gotta say, their product is CRAP! Tiles are uneven, big & small, laser machines they use to cut the tiles are way off, color shades (rough to soft) .. via each box is the shits. Check out the brand "Optimus"; if you're renovating and using this brand, you will flip out. 16 pieces per box, 13x13 inches of living hell, These are cheap tiles/marble/porcelain products you'll see at Home Depot, Kent's, and now taking over your local Tile/Marble retail stores. Another reason our economy is falling, we don't use are own local or own country resources. We just buy from places, who make it cheap, while the product is crap that we must suffer. Argh ..

D'oh! Back to economy affect jam. Course I will continue to buy Pearl Jam goods. Haven't you seen the latest pics i've been posting? ;)

I've attended Santa Barbara, Los Angeles 1, Montreal 1, Montreal 2, Toronto 1, Toronto 2 .. Ed show's last year. New York 1, New York 2, Hartford, Boston 1, Boston 2 .. Pearl Jam '08. Best time I had in '08. I'm hoping to do the same this '09, if not 2010! :)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Yes, alotta other people will be pinching their pennies, and maybe have to sacrifice shows. I won't.
  • Options
    Also like to add, I've started to cut back on my daily hot chocolate consumption from Tim Hortons. $1.15 each day that i've been spending will go to the Pearl Jam Tour Foundation! So $419. 85 saved a year! :shock:
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited January 2009
    Being without a job right now, every purchase I make now has to be necessary. That means no PJ purchases until I feel stable again, unless the price is too good to pass up.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Also like to add, I've started to cut back on my daily hot chocolate consumption from Tim Hortons. $1.15 each day that i've been spending will go to the Pearl Jam Tour Foundation! So $419. 85 saved a year! :shock:
    I've been to Tim Horton's, the only thing I cared for is their cider (their coffee isn't as great as people make out). Yum.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    I've been to Tim Horton's, the only thing I cared for is their cider (their coffee isn't as great as people make out). Yum.

I don't drink their coffee; or that matter 'coffee' period! But their hot chocolate .. whoa! .. and with the special candy cane added in with the hot chocolate, oh mama! *drools
  • Options
    I have 4 major priorities in life....
    1. Eat
    2. Sleep
    3. Work
    4. Pearl Jam goodies
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    I don't drink their coffee; or that matter 'coffee' period! But their hot chocolate .. whoa! .. and with the special candy cane added in with the hot chocolate, oh mama! *drools
    I didn't mean that you drank the coffee...I've just heard people rave about it. I guess I'll have to try the hot chocolate next time I'm North. I like the candy cane idea!
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    I didn't mean that you drank the coffee...I've just heard people rave about it. I guess I'll have to try the hot chocolate next time I'm North. I like the candy cane idea!

It's sweet! A must! I can send it via airmail if you like? ;)
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Jeanwah wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Tim Hortons coffee is fucking rancid. Canada needs to invade Italy and kidnap a bunch of baristas.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Hot chocolate by airmail, now that would be somethin'! I'll be in Northern NY in a few weeks, and there's one there, I'll be sure to get it then though!
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Yep.
    Have passed on the reissue thus far (but my birthday is coming!) as well as some other shirts etc.
    Rather put my money toward a tour and/or traveling. But even then...we shall see. Likely only one trip this year (as opposed to LA, NYC, and WA last year)... especially considering I have some traveling for business coming up (grad school interviews which are scattering me to all four corners of the country) which is going to come out of pocket...
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    Hot chocolate by airmail, now that would be somethin'! I'll be in Northern NY in a few weeks, and there's one there, I'll be sure to get it then though!

Let me know what you think! :)
    Airmail off still one still. ;)
  • Options
    CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    It already has... I didn't buy the Ten reissue :(
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    I'm planning on hitting Europe for 8+ shows next time around and 8+ shows in N. America and all or most future bootlegs and some T's + hoodies and all the album reissues.... I don't make a lot of money but the money I spend is spent well and I'm quite happy... :D
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    I was looking at the super deluxe edition because the notebook and all the pictures looked like they were worth checking out, but for that $130 price tag, I don't think I'm getting it. What I want the most is the Unplugged DVD, so I'm looking at getting the $31 dollar package. Tour wise, I'm there regardless, probably buy a t-shirt and/or poster, but having to pay for a house next year (I'm still in college) is making it hard, since I'm still looking for a job.
  • Options
    I sure know that I am not going to stop buying pearl jam goodies because it is a very high percentage of all the items that i do buy. But I am sure the economy will make me cut back and channel my funds into the higher priority items like concert tickets and cut back on things like bootlegs and posters for shows that i did not attend. This past summer i got a poster at every show i went to plus one other that i liked, and i participated in the mystery poster sale, and i have all the cd bootlegs, this year i might be looking at mp3s only for shows i attended, and not purchasing extra posters. Also avoiding the super deluxe re release because not much in it interests me aside from the unplugged dvd. Simple cutbacks like that are how i am affected but i certainly will not stop spending a ton of money on pearl jam
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    I guess it hasnt changed my habits.
    Within the past week, ive bought Phish Ticket, 500 Ticket, and the PJ Deluxe Edition.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    i spend money on food and pearl jam. more groceries, less restaurants.

i'm at 40 pj shows now. i wanna hit 100 one day and i've never seen the guys in europe.......can't wait for that record to come out
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I just got my bill for my recent purchase of stickman t-shirt, hoodie, and showbox dvd.
    $148.00 AUD :|
    Damn currency!

But hey I'll still get Ten re-issue and their new album 8-)

But need to save for my holiday overseas!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014