Options

Will the economy affect YOUR pj purchases this year?

DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,740
edited February 2009 in The Porch
Reissues, remasters, potentially a new album and tour with new posters, etc... just curious, will what's happening in the economy affect your ability to spend on PJ in 2009? Personally, I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the Ten reissue because I just don't know what's going to happen down the road. Anyone else feeling this way, or am I just paranoid?
I smile, but who am I kidding...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    So far it hasn't had an effect. I don't see much else PJ related that is going to break me up. I splurged on the Super Deluxe, but I doubt we see a tour this year, so that will be a nice chunk of cash saved. I've already cut down on buying posters, but not due to the economy, it was just getting a little out of hand as far as where to put them all. :oops:

Hopefully things will be back on track in this country by the time the guys hit the road in 2010 (guesstimate) and watch it go to fire.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    Reissues, remasters, potentially a new album and tour with new posters, etc... just curious, will what's happening in the economy affect your ability to spend on PJ in 2009? Personally, I've been hesitant to pull the trigger on the Ten reissue because I just don't know what's going to happen down the road. Anyone else feeling this way, or am I just paranoid?
    if you cant afford it.....dont purchase it....right???

if spending $100 on an album that was released 20 years ago is something that you want...something that will bring a smile to your face.....and something that you can afford......without putting a strain on you being able to buy grocieries....pay the rent....make a car payment...blah blah blah....

then by all means...make the purchase.....

personally...if money was tight....i would just worry about saving enough money so you are able to go see a live show or 2.......

the posters and the albums could always wait until a later date....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    The economy will definitely affect my PJ purchases as far as poster sales, but if the new album came out tomorrow and they announced a huge tour, I would spend like crazy! Money can always be made, and seeing PJ live is worth every cent.
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I already picked up the Deluxe edition when it was first released so I am not worried about that. However if they start doing the same for all the other albums, then I may have an issue. I will worry about it when that time comes though. I can always get money if I need it(odd jobs or whatever).
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure it'll affect me. im not working and im going to sydney this semester so theres no chance of me working now, and i'll be back june 27, so i probably won't have much chance to work before the inevitable tour. i was counting on getting a loan and using some towards sydney (taking trips to fiji, NZ, etc) and using the rest to fund my pj tour (it did last year :twisted: ) but when i went on 2 loan websites specifically made for study abroad, the front pages basically said "we have no money because of the economy, better luck next time!" ugh....
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Nah....I've already dropped $140 and aside from a tour I can't imagine there being anything more expensive than that so I should be fine. If it comes down to going to a show, I'm there no matter what
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Saving for the next tour. Hope they include a leg in Europe.

I have noticed that the price of posters seems to have dropped and the pace of sales appears to have slowed.
    Hold On
  • Options
    funnygirlfunnygirl Posts: 529
    For me, I buy what I like, and I try to stay within my means. I am not a PJ memorabilia collector, so I don't buy everything the 10c throws at me. I didn't buy the Super-Duper-Deluxe edition of fabulousness, because more than half the things in there did not interest me. I just want the music.... A signed copy would be awesome though... :D But frankly, I am not that lucky! ;)

I do think that depending on what situation you are in this crazy economy, it would effect how much $ you spend, of course!
  • Options
    RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    Absolutely not. In fact this could be a record year for purchases if they release an album and tour.
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    If Pearl Jam tours this year it wont be the economy that would keep me from going to shows. Since '06 I've traveled to Chicago, San Fran and NYC to see them.

This year while being at the MSG shows I started to wonder if it was worth traveling all this way to see them. Don't get me wrong, the shows were great, but not EPIC like I was hoping/expecting them to be. So the thought of traveling that far again to see them made me stop and think about it. Then again when I saw them in Hartford right after MSG.......that renewed my faith in seeing them live. That show kicked some serious ass!!!!
  • Options
    NOTHING is gonna stop me buying tickets when PJ next comes to england. NOTHING.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    I would say NO, I've recently gone thru a broken engagement, the rough patch has already passed, so this year its all about ME...and PJ, hopefully a West Coast trip (when they tour), tickets, posters, I'm gonna Gorge (pun intended) myself on PJ, I don't have to clear any decisions with anybody but me, myself & I, BRING IT BOYS :mrgreen:
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    Well, money is def tight right now, especially with grad school bills, yuck. But if they tour i'm sure the money will pop up to go see some shows, it may not be as much as when I saw 9 shows last tour, but it will be a few, great now i'm waiting for a tour.

As far as merch purchases go, I held off about a week before buying the superdelux, so i guess not haha.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    yes

if it doesnt get better

I wont be buying any posters or vinyl this year
  • Options
    it will affect my discretionary spending.

pearl jam is not discretionary.
  • Options
    Yup it already has for me. I said no to the deluxe Ten package. I think its kinda cool but as somebody said. It has alot of items I don't care for and its about the music for me. A signed edition would be sweet but I'm never that lucky to win that stuff anyway. :)
  • Options
    It already has...I really want to buy all the cute hoodies available and the new Re-release stuff...been working 20 hours less a week...that BLOWS! :cry:
    "The answers are fatal..."

"My lips are shakin'....

"And Love,...Wish the world would go again with Love
    One can't seem to have enough."

www.myspace.com/jenlovespearljam
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,543
    if you cant afford it.....dont purchase it....right???

Ding! Ding! Ding!
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Sure it will. I am the only income that comes into my household because my wife is a stay-at-home mom. Any extra left over after bills, groceries, and stuff for the boy goes into savings. Maybe at the end of the year I could get something PJ related.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    No, but don't spend much on them to begin with. There's too much great music out there to waste all my money on memorabilia for one band.

I'd buy a new album, tickets to one show if they come to my town . . . and that's probably it. I'm still debating whether I'm going to buy the Ten reissue, but if I do it will be the $30 version at most.
  • Options
    evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    Nothing will stop me. You can always make money.
  • Options
    I have a HUGE Pearl Jam memorobilia collection. I bought the Super Deluxe Ten box because I had to have it. I don't purchase t-shirts or hoodies or posters though so I save money there. If they tour in 2009 in my area then I will buy tickets to one show...I don't think I can afford to attend more than one show right now. Hopefully the economy gets better in the upcoming months and that changes.

I did cut back last year though...I attended one 2008 Pearl Jam concert but did not go to Eddie's solo concert in my area because tickets were too expensive :(
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    mnicole22mnicole22 Posts: 417
    edited January 2009
    Yes. I am po` BUT I will scrape, and scrounge,and beg for tickets if I must. 8-)
    Post edited by mnicole22 on
    AKA Cinnamon Girl :(

05-10-06
    08-05-07
    06-14-08
    08-12-08 (EV)
  • Options
    i would love to buy memorabilia, but i would rather have the memories of a tour. so i will go to shows but i wont buy a shirt.
  • Options
    It might be a problem if they were touring, but since they currently are not it's not too bad, just some minor purchases. :D
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    DeLukin wrote:

well i did order the super deluxe...but that was with last year's money. ;)
    seriously, hubby and i have already decided that some serious avings is a priority for us this year for many personal reasons.....just want to get more diligent. we've both been pretty generous with ourselves these past couple years, and fortunate overall...always...so no complaints. but yes, already said, if pj tour this yea, and of course i hope they do!...local shows only. i mean, i assume they'll play at least a couple NYC vicinity dates, and that'll be that. i will get my posters b/c that's just a *must* now :P...but probably hold off on framing.....and yea....that's it...nothing more. i've traveled far and wide for pj and loved every minute! it just doesn't fit with my year plans this time round, and sure...the economy being what it is....i can't see being too frivilous this year.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Not really. My family adopting a stray cat put the Deluxe Edition Ten purchase on the backburner! Kitten vaccinations (the full set, 'cause we don't know her background), de-worming, lab tests to determine any diseases (clean!) and an upcoming spay surgery. The first bill cost my Mom and me $350, and I expect the spay surgery to be about the same, if not closer to $400.

I'm cutting back on superfluous spending overall, anyway. At the Vancouver '05 show, I bought a lot of merch, whereas at Ed's show, I only bought the t-shirt (in the past I may have also bought the lighter "just because"). The next time I see them, I doubt I'll buy more than 1 or 2 things - depending on what they are.
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Yes.

In the past I would have jumped on the Deluxe Edition, this year I waited and thought about it and realized its just "stuff". Stuff I would "like to have", but don't need. It's almost the cost of 2 tickets to a show and I would much rather do that. Trying to pick which festival to go to this year and if a PJ tour comes around I will be ready. Again as someone else said, I would go to the show but not buy a shirt...unless it was some kick ass shirt.
    It's all about planning and the trickle down affect is going to go on for a long time.
    More than half of my friends have lost or are losing their jobs. Thats a scare enough to cut my spending.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,882
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, the shows were great, but not EPIC like I was hoping/expecting them to be. So the thought of traveling that far again to see them made me stop and think about it.

Bingo. I was thinking the exact same thing as I have been working my way through the 2008 tour. I just finished Camden 2, so MSG is next, and the shows just dont blow me away.

2003 - flew to MSG and Camden, drove to Columbus, Pitt
    2004 - drove to Toledo, GR and StL
    2005 - drove Kitchener, London, Hamilton
    2006 - flew to SF for all 3, drove to Cincy
    2008 - flew to DC

plus been to every Illinois and Wisc show since 1995, as well as a few others.

but I dont think I will fly for the next tour unless the new album is truly epic, which I dont expect. by epic, I mean to the level of Vitalogy or Yield. the live experience will never match the energy of the 93-96 shows that I have heard (only saw Soldier Field myself).

as far as the economy, unless I lose my job, and cant find another or start my own firm, I wont skip shows or albums. I have enough savings to be ok and not skip PJ. I need to cut back on posters anyways b/c they are expensive and I have too many already.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    non-entity wrote:
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, the shows were great, but not EPIC like I was hoping/expecting them to be. So the thought of traveling that far again to see them made me stop and think about it.

Bingo. I was thinking the exact same thing as I have been working my way through the 2008 tour. I just finished Camden 2, so MSG is next, and the shows just dont blow me away.

2003 - flew to MSG and Camden, drove to Columbus, Pitt
    2004 - drove to Toledo, GR and StL
    2005 - drove Kitchener, London, Hamilton
    2006 - flew to SF for all 3, drove to Cincy
    2008 - flew to DC

plus been to every Illinois and Wisc show since 1995, as well as a few others.

but I dont think I will fly for the next tour unless the new album is truly epic, which I dont expect. by epic, I mean to the level of Vitalogy or Yield. the live experience will never match the energy of the 93-96 shows that I have heard (only saw Soldier Field myself).

as far as the economy, unless I lose my job, and cant find another or start my own firm, I wont skip shows or albums. I have enough savings to be ok and not skip PJ. I need to cut back on posters anyways b/c they are expensive and I have too many already.
    agreed....my days of traveling to see shows is over and done....

in 2003-2004-2006....i traveled all the fuck over...and it was fun...and i had a great time....

but the chances of me doing something like that are 1%......the new album would have to be the second coming of VS. or the second coming of Yield in order for me to even think about traveling for shows....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....