Me Performing Stand-up

mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
edited April 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So here is a video of me taken last night performing stand-up in NYC. Keep in mind a couple of things. First, it's only the 4th time I've done this. Second, I had a "bit" of liquid courage in me. Third, and most importantly, the crowd is made up of stand-up comics trying out new material and a few scattered guests. One of these guests came with me and before I went up heckled a couple of the comedians to my utter disbelief and horror. So to say the crowd didn't love me would be an understatement! Feel free to provide feedback (yes I know that I speak too fast and when I've consumed a bottle of wine in under an hour I have quite a lisp!) Positive and negative comments are welcome! Without further adieu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwtQ9W2VZk4
"The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    The news story one was a little too long. Though I thought the ESPN one was good, though it does need a bit of polishing.

Good luck mate, keep persisting.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    I liked, it remind me of woody allen, see a couple of his movies and try to use like that nervous feeling that you transmit, believe all this in a good way, i repeat you i liked.

good work brother :D
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    arq wrote:
    I liked, it remind me of woody allen, see a couple of his movies and try to use like that nervous feeling that you transmit, believe all this in a good way, i repeat you i liked.

good work brother :D

Thanks! I'm actually a huge Woody Allen fan, except my nervousness isn't an act! I can see what you're saying and will work on it! Also, thanks to pjfan31 for the feedback!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    dude i love it. i think you spoke to fast cause you were nervous, other then that it had me laughing. also i fully agree with what you had to say bout espn.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    dude i love it. i think you spoke to fast cause you were nervous, other then that it had me laughing. also i fully agree with what you had to say bout espn.
    Thanks! My nerves definitely got the best of me. Not to mention I was rattled by the heckling incident and the fact that I was under the impression that I would have 5 minutes to perform only to find out after arriving that I had to cut it down to 3 so that the last two could be reserved for feedback. Glad you liked it!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Thanks! My nerves definitely got the best of me. Not to mention I was rattled by the heckling incident and the fact that I was under the impression that I would have 5 minutes to perform only to find out after arriving that I had to cut it down to 3 so that the last two could be reserved for feedback. Glad you liked it!
    welcome mookie
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• i thought it was good, i give you props just for getting up there, its gotta be tough. i agree with most of the feedback they gave you in the video, esp. the transition between "man rapes 7" and "where to take your date for valentines day".
  • nice work, the kobe bryant bit on the taxi crawl was funny and had a good delivery.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    Props to you for putting yourself out there. :D I thought that your delivery was very good, but I agree with those in the audience regarding the order of your points and tightening up your anecdotes. Excellent job, keep the clips coming :P Oh . . . and leave your heckling friend at home next time :o
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Props to you for putting yourself out there. :D I thought that your delivery was very good, but I agree with those in the audience regarding the order of your points and tightening up your anecdotes. Excellent job, keep the clips coming :P Oh . . . and leave your heckling friend at home next time :o
    I agree... oh and you looked like a natural, and you sounded very comfortable. Good job!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    nice work there jason! keep at it!
    I love to turn you on
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    Booooooooo! Get off the stage!

:D
    Hahaha, just kidding! Good work.
  • I thought that was really good man. I didn't understand why the crowd seemed so silent. I was laughing at pretty much everything. I loved the espn joke I'm probably gonna steal that from you today and use that with my friends :D . In all honesty I think you do have potential, I would never be able to do that I can't even get up in front of my college class and introduce myself without turning my stomach inside out. Good work! keep it up, and I cant wait to see more
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Great eye contact. I may recommend (for what it's worth) going with less obvious finishes to jokes. Like the hair clippings one. How about:

"...but I mailed them to my girlfriend, and spent the rest of the month in a jail cell getting to know a guy named "Ram". ...and you don't wanna know how he got HIS name"

Or instead of "Poker... can anyone tell me when poker became a sport?" how about:

"Poker... can you tell me the last time you saw someone wearing a helmet and goggles to a poker table? (pause) ...because when I wore it, I felt overdressed. People looked at me like I just got off the short-bus. I respectfully submit that poker is NOT a sport, because it's the ONLY sport you can gain weight while playing. Well... that and bowling."

I dunno. Just thoughts. Best of luck though! :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    A) You're from California??? I didn't know that! What part?

B) I, too, am obsessed with the tvs in cabs in NYC. I want to take cabs in NYC just because of the tvs.

C) Poker isn't a sport...I SOOOOOOOOOO agree with you.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,711
    Definitely some promising material.
    Props for giving it a go, best of luck.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Poncier wrote:
    Definitely some promising material.
    Props for giving it a go, best of luck.

Ponc, when are you doing yours?? You'd kick ass in a LOST-related gig.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• my cousin just got a start in the standup biz within the last couple years and hes just now really getting into a good rhythm... hes always been VERY naturally funny but you gotta perfect your material over time and the big thing is learning how to respond to the audience... interact with them, gauge how theyre feeling, show them that you're capable of off-the-cuff recoveries... it all comes down to watching and learning from the masters... try not to watch comics that are too similar to your own style cause you might find yourself accidentally picking up habits and delivery... you got a good start though! give it another 100 shows... if you still have to drink at that point to work up the courage to do it then id say its not right for you... you gotta keep your mind and wit sharp or else it'll all come off as scripted

best of luck!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    You did good.....

you are quite brave!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,275
    hey mooks all the best may you brake a leg next time, you did fine you deserve a ton of credit :mrgreen: cheers bro .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • nice :D

lmao at the kobe bryant one. :mrgreen:
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i have to give you mucho credito for getting up there and doing it amigo..

i disagree with one of the audience comments that the taxi cab tv bit had to go... if thats where you noticed the news feed most likely so why not use it? other than that i have no idea who Kobe Bryant is, but it was still a good joke... i like exaggeration in comedy and you could maybe go further with that... where you said about the diamond and "rape any 3 girls without prosecution" you could maybe go more into it and make it appear to be an extra long news feed that is hugely in-depth (something i think one of the hardened cynical audience guys said with the "$3.4324423 dollar contract" etc.. ) but well done my friend!!

but keep going at it mooks.. and keep us updated with more videos?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • A) You're from California??? I didn't know that! What part?

B) I, too, am obsessed with the tvs in cabs in NYC. I want to take cabs in NYC just because of the tvs.

C) Poker isn't a sport...I SOOOOOOOOOO agree with you.

poker is a sport. so is golf. i play both, therefore they are sports ;)
    Thanks for all of the replies and feedback! I will take it all into consideration and definitely keep posting videos!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    good work man! i like your swipe at jersey.

keep it up. give you a ton of credit for going up there. something i could never do.
    I know that it's insanely short notice, but anyone in the nyc area wanting to see me perform tonight should go to 330 5th ave in the basement of Maui Tacos (damn right I'm in the big leagues now!) as I will be performing sometime between 8 and 10. It's free to watch. All of the material will be different from my posted video.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    I know that it's insanely short notice, but anyone in the nyc area wanting to see me perform tonight should go to 330 5th ave in the basement of Maui Tacos (damn right I'm in the big leagues now!) as I will be performing sometime between 8 and 10. It's free to watch. All of the material will be different from my posted video.

i didn't know they had comedy there. i remember good food but slow service though.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Hahahahaha! Every Show is Poker Now... that was good... I thought you had a very good delivery, but the jokes need to be a little more... edgy is probably not the right word, but it's the first that comes to mind. Either way, keep up the good work!
  • ESPN - EVERY SHOW IS POKER NOW

that was funny man. good for you. i have written stand up before too. that is a really cool atmosphere you are in, where you can be critiqued by fellow comedians after the show. great little forum, very useful stuff.

keep trying and writing material!! good job.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Thanks for posting, mookie. I thought the best joke was "Every Show is Poker Now" too. I too give you props for getting up there. I didn't think you came off as that nervous and your delivery wasn't bad. It will take time so I think you are doing the right thing in going up as often as you can.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."