Options

Mispronounced words that drive you crazy!

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited January 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
My best friend is nearly perfect in every way, but she always says "HONKY dory" instead of "hunky dory"...I laugh a little bit inside when she says it, but I have never commented on it because I kind of like the laugh every time she does.

Several years ago I worked with a girl who was dumb as a box of rocks on many levels but she said" ma-naisse, totally ignoring the "yo". I asked her why the hell people called it mayo if it was pronounced ma-naisse.....she looked at me like a confused puppy.

Lots of people pronounce ruined as rurnt...which just pisses me off

People say Wal Mark or Wal Marts

So what are some the ones you hear regularly...
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,946
    milk said as melk
    boba fett said as bubble fett
    C-3P0 said threeseepeeyo. the grace period is over. its been 30 fuckin years people.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II '24
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    Supposably
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    expecially (no) = especially (yes!)

irregardless (no) = regardless (yes!)
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    people constantly say 'member' when they mean 'remember' like 'member when i was a dumbass'

and cinnamon girl i have no clue on regardless vs. irregardless
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    valentimes day and fustrated are two of my favorites....
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I don't like when people say "warshed" instead of "washed." :shock:

And when they say "expresso" instead of "espresso." :o
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    pjhawks wrote:
    people constantly say 'member' when they mean 'remember' like 'member when i was a dumbass'

Irregardless isn't a word, that's why. ;)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

Irregardless isn't a word, that's why. ;)

:D
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Poncier wrote:
    Supposably

Agreed, except when my fiance says it because for some reason I think it's adorable.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    Poncier wrote:
    Supposably

Agreed, except when my fiance says it because for some reason I think it's adorable.

give it a few years ;)
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    My husband can't pronounce fellatio right, so he never gets any. :lol:
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    i think i'll go pick up some books at the li-berry.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I do say Walmarts kidding around. I don't know though..i really don't get down on people for mispronouncing words..god know there are big words i stumble on. If someone continously mispronounces a word then maybe i will leave a fun with phonics tape for them :lol:
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    mindi wrote:
    Is it because of mispronunciation or the fact that your married now?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    My dad doesn't hear so well anymore, but he was always terrible with names so now when he tries to relay something from ESPN to me he never gets the name of the commentator/analyst right and sometimes it is so far off I can't figure out who he is talking about.

For example, he started telling me all about "Shearer" one day and I had no clue. After several mentions of this Shearer character I finally realized he was talking about Mark Schlereth because I had seen what he was telling me about......and he gets made at me when I act like I don't know who he is talking about
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    My roommate in college always said "Birfday". No joke. She was going for her masters in teaching and couldn't pronounce a simple word. Also, I had a boss who always said "pacifically" instead of "specifically"...that one drove me nucking futs.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    My roommate in college always said "Birfday". No joke. She was going for her masters in teaching and couldn't pronounce a simple word. Also, I had a boss who always said "pacifically" instead of "specifically"...that one drove me nucking futs.

wow..that is something. I know people will deliberately mispronounce words because they think it's cute..I have said Birfday before kidding around but damn that is stupid.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:

wow..that is something. I know people will deliberately mispronounce words because they think it's cute..I have said Birfday before kidding around but damn that is stupid.

I KNOW!! And I finally asked her about it one day...she didn't even know she was doing it. And after she realized it, she didn't stop.

• Options
    libragirl wrote:

I KNOW!! And I finally asked her about it one day...she didn't even know she was doing it. And after she realized it, she didn't stop.

ha..ha...she probably was embarrassed :p
  • Options
    libragirl wrote:
    ha..ha...she probably was embarrassed :p
    I was tactful...and nice...I think.

• Options
    I had a coworker who you used to say "AMM-monds" instead of almonds. Drove me nuts :x :lol:

She tried to say she picked it up from her roommate and blamed it on the region of the state that the roommate is from, not realizing that we were in that region too. :roll: She wasn't always the brightest one...

I also don't like when people say "axed" instead of "asked." A client in our office this morning kept saying it. :shock:
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I had a coworker who you used to say "AMM-monds" instead of almonds. Drove me nuts :x :lol:

She tried to say she picked it up from her roommate and blamed it on the region of the state that the roommate is from, not realizing that we were in that region too. :roll: She wasn't always the brightest one...

I also don't like when people say "axed" instead of "asked." A client in our office this morning kept saying it. :shock:
    But...the L is kinda silent :?
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options

not really :)
  • Options
    mindimindi Posts: 1,858
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mindi wrote:
    :lol: Probably because we are married.
    To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    libragirl wrote:

not really :)
    Yah really! stoopid yanks mispronouncing Ahmonds 8-)
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    mindi wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    mindi wrote:
    :lol: Probably because we are married.
    I KNEW IT!!!!!! :lol:;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,526
    My boss, when trying to impress, will say something is a mute point. It's his trailer trash side showing through. :o
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

ha..ha..okay!
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I severely dislike it when someone says "I could care less". If you COULD care less, that means it DOES have some higher priority than other things.

I believe the correct statement is "I couldn't care less" because if you could NOT care less, then that means it is all the way at the bottom of your caring priorities.

For those needing it spelled out...

Bob says "I hit my hand with a hammer".
    Jane says "I could care less".
    Bob says "Thank you, I'm glad there are things that you care less about, so my pain does matter somewhat to you".

Bob says "I dropped a peanut when I was in the third grade".
    Jane says "I couldn't care less".
    Bob says "yes, I agree, there is nothing less to care about than a peanut I dropped years ago".

Here's a chart:
    caring.png
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options

If you are from another country, words are pronounced differently and that's okay. :lol:

But the fact that she was from the same area was just weird. (And the L isn't really silent.) ;)