The Wrestler...

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited July 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
went to see it on Sunday night... absolutely incredible.

If you haven't seen it and even if you don't like wrestling, watch it! You won't regret it :D
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I saw it the night before last... was that Sunday?! Anyway, I thought it was great. And to think, that role nearly went to Nicholas Cage *shudders*. I don't like wrestling, but it's not really about that. :!:
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    I saw it yesterday.... and then had a dream about it last night. Great movie. I can't say much more without being a plot line spoiler. "Two thumbs up."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I want to see this, has it opened nationwide yet?
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    I want to see this, has it opened nationwide yet?
    yes....even in Pittburgh! :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • it's playing in about 150 theatres right now for Oscar consideration...should be playing in Dedham Mass very soon at local theatre.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I heard they filmed in asbury park..Im glad asbury park is good for something.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • libragirl wrote:

asbury park...home of the late Bam Bam Bigelow. RiP!
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    libragirl wrote:

The Stone Pony
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    libragirl wrote:

asbury park...home of the late Bam Bam Bigelow. RiP!

yeah...also home of tillie...I miss tillie. I haven't been there in ages.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
    libragirl wrote:

The Stone Pony

jesus it's been ages since i have been there i used to go to the convention hall a lot too
    Forgot to mention.... the 80s hair band soundtrack was pretty awesome too... Quiet Riot, Cinderella, Accept, GnR, Ratt, etc. :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    Very good film. Something tells me Mickey Rourke has alot in common with his character :D

Marisa Tomei...go on wit ya bad self
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I saw an add for this movie and it looks like something I want to see.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Saw it Sunday and was blown away by Mickey. Incredible, Oscar-worthy performance.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I saw this on sunday as well and as much as I enjoyed it I don't think it will be winning movie of the year. Now Mickey should get heavy consideration for actor of the year and his acting carries the movie for me.

Good movie, I just did not think it was incrediable.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    watch "beyond the mat" the terry funk story and tell me they didnt lift this directly into the mickey rourke role.

thats the real story.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2Slm1A2txmo

its 9 minutes long, but it IS the movie. he lived it.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,437
    As a huge wrestling, I found a lot of the film quite sad because after reading books by wrestlers and seeing such documentaries as 'Beyond The Mat' and 'The Rise and Fall of ECW' it's clear that a lot of this movie stems from what really goes in in the wrestling world.

Great performance by Rourke, not sure it should get Best Actor Oscar though.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    intodeep wrote:
    I saw this on sunday as well and as much as I enjoyed it I don't think it will be winning movie of the year. Now Mickey should get heavy consideration for actor of the year and his acting carries the movie for me.

Good movie, I just did not think it was incrediable.

quite honestly, i was unimpressed....on all counts. and that includes mickey rourke. i do not see that he did anything 'more' with the role, at all. i thought it was an ok movie. not bad, but nothing that made it stand-out....not the acting, nor the directing, and not the story.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• The Rock wrote:
    As a huge wrestling, I found a lot of the film quite sad because after reading books by wrestlers and seeing such documentaries as 'Beyond The Mat' and 'The Rise and Fall of ECW' it's clear that a lot of this movie stems from what really goes in in the wrestling world.

Great performance by Rourke, not sure it should get Best Actor Oscar though.

:cry: I'm with you on this too. I saw "The Wrestler" with my hubby. He is a huge fan, especially of the late great Chris Benoit.Wrestlers are a rare breed, and they pay the price for it, in the long haul. This movie really put us in a downer frame of mind for 2 days. Mickey Rourke is great, convincing and plays a wreslter with such ease. He is also a former boxer,so the part is not too outside his comfort zone. I loved the way he played a human being, showing his real side, misunderstood and truly gritty self. Not an easy film to watch, but very moving indeed.Peace!
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's Soul remains Unawakened.
    Anatole France
  • I saw this tonight- it was a great movie nand totally worth seeing, but I agree that it shouldn't win a best movie award. The ending was perfect and Mickey Rourke did a great job. A few of the scenes (mostly 1 particular fight scene) were definitely hard to watch, I found myself looking away from the screen a few times.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I saw it yesterday and loved it.
    I thought Rourke was amazing and deserves the Oscar.
    I've seen Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Button and The Visitor and thought Rourke was the best.
    Hope to see Milk sometime next week.
  • I saw it yesterday and loved it.
    I've seen Frost/Nixon, Benjamin Button and The Visitor and thought Rourke was the best.
    Milk was awesome- Sean Penn did an amazing job. I think he deserves the Oscar over Mickey Rourke.
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    I had been looking forward to this film for a long time, but I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was decent, but definitely not nearly as good as Gran Torino or Milk.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • good movie.....real good movie....

not a great movie....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Most overrated movie in years.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Such a good movie, I watched it last night and loved it. Rourke was brillant, it would have been so easy to over act in that role but he was spot on.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Most overrated movie in years.
    yeah...i gotta agree here.....

it was a good movie....

but jesus...with all the fucking hype and oscar nominations....i thought this movie was going to be a whole lot more that it was....

and when i left the theater my first thought was...

"how on earth did they give marisa tomei an oscar nomination for that role?????"
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I saw it yesterday and loved it.

I saw it Thursday and really enjoyed it. I would put it even with "Gran Torino" as the best movie I've seen this year. I found Rourke's character to be very likable which I was surprised by.

I watched "The Visitor" last night and really enjoyed it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Most overrated movie in years.

thank you!
    i am glad to see at least a few people who think the same on this. i do not understand why rourke was nominated, at all. this film was so 'obvious' from the get-go...it didn't do anything new, not a new story, etc, etc. about the only 'different' thing was it was about wrestling, and not boxing, or some other sport...but it still followed the same, predictable story arc.....and none of the performances were 'wow' imo. hubby and i were both completely underwhelmed.....and that even includes the 'highlight' for hubby of marisa tomei and her very perky attributes. ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I liked it and thought Mickey Rourke was great. I think Marisa Tomei got the nomination because she is so damn HOT for a 45 year old.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~