Options

What movie are you going to see next?

Comments

• Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    I've got Pineapple Express loaded up in the DVD player, so technically I am "going" to watch it. ;)
  • Options
    Saw this yesterday

The Wrestler 2009

Great Film and Mickey Rourke is superb, a darker, grittier and more realistic Rocky for our times. Tomei makes the most of a cliched role and really shines but Rourke is simply stunning and it seems no other actor could have done Randy the Ram justice. The fact his own careers somewhat mirrors The Ram's only adds to the authenticity of his performance. Well done Mickey, that Golden Baldie as good chance of being yours come Feb 22nd.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    This is sad. :(
    The last movie I saw in theaters was Knocked Up.
    Cause my wife was knocked up and she wanted to see it.
    Since my boy was born, we don't get out as much. He's worth it though. :D

PS That's him in my avatar.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    I like to see all the ones up for Oscars (we do a pool) and I have only a couple to see. I think the next one will be The Reader. Saw Revolutionary Road last and I want my two hours back! That sucked!
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    I like to see all the ones up for Oscars (we do a pool) and I have only a couple to see. I think the next one will be The Reader. Saw Revolutionary Road last and I want my two hours back! That sucked!
    I like Kate Winslet as an actress but I don't think I've enjoyed ANY of her films :?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    I like Kate Winslet as an actress but I don't think I've enjoyed ANY of her films :?
    ooohh just checked imdb to double check. I liked the holiday :D and the life of david gale was good. She tends to make seriously serious films and depressing too.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    smithnic wrote:

I think she's pretty overrated actually.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    smithnic wrote:

I think she's pretty overrated actually.
    I kinda agree... she's ok and likeable but I don't think she's oscar worthy... in fact I think there are very few actresses who are, minus Cate Blanchett.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Saw this yesterday

The Wrestler 2009

Great Film and Mickey Rourke is superb, a darker, grittier and more realistic Rocky for our times. Tomei makes the most of a cliched role and really shines but Rourke is simply stunning and it seems no other actor could have done Randy the Ram justice. The fact his own careers somewhat mirrors The Ram's only adds to the authenticity of his performance. Well done Mickey, that Golden Baldie as good chance of being yours come Feb 22nd.

good film and great performance by mickey rourke, but the film definitely has some script and character issues. i won't get into them for those that haven't seen it, but i will say that marissa tomei and evan rachel wood were completely underused.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
    i've been on a major movie kick recently.

7 pounds
    eagle eye
    righteous kill
    pineapple express
    balls out: gary the tennis coach

7 pounds was an incredible movie going experience....lots of emotion

also rented some oldies:

cape fear - scared the shit out of me, de niro was psycho...wow. i had never seen it.
    full metal jacket
    apocalypse now
    the untouchables
    true romance
    baseketball
    friday
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    FoxyMopFoxyMop Posts: 303
    He's just not that into you when it comes out! :D
  • Options
    I've got four christmases downloaded and ready to play :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    be sure to let us know how horrible it was when youre done :lol:
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hahaha will do... it's not on my 'list' but it's one of the few i THINK i can watch,
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I just saw WAR INC. with John Cusack and his sister. It was pretty good.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    VERY horrible... was a bit likeable at start but went rapidly downhill
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    his sister joan? i like her but hate him and thoughr rhat film was very very bad... hillary duff???????? :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    his sister joan? i like her but hate him and thoughr rhat film was very very bad... hillary duff???????? :o
    WHA WHA WHAAAAT?!? its ALWAYS the other way around! what has joan EVER done thats worthwhile?!? john cusack on the other hand would play me in my biography... if he were my age... and if ed norton wasnt available
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    WHA WHA WHAAAAT?!? its ALWAYS the other way around! what has joan EVER done thats worthwhile?!? john cusack on the other hand would play me in my biography... if he were my age... and if ed norton wasnt available
    :D think is john is definitely a MANS actor... all men love john cusack... women dont tend to like him but all men see themselves in him...i myself htink he's ok but his films are crap cept pushing tin. I like joan in everything but never remember them... she's always enjoyable.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Eden Lake (2008)

The Director of My Little Eye and the producers of The Descent could be accused of scare moungering and fueling the fire of the average Daily Mail reader as they take a contemporary issue ripped straight from British headlines and amp them up a few notches. Where you sit on this is down to interpretation although there is no denying director James Watkins has crafted a truly terrifying and realistic horror for our times. Although inhabiting a similar feel to Neil Marshall's excellent The Decent aided by David Julyan's similar but no less effective score, Eden Lake requires a lot less suspension of disbelief, as the terror on display is all too real.

When City Couple Jenny and Steve played by Kelly Reilly, recently seen leading alongside Ciaran Hinds in Lynda La Plante's new veichle Above Suspicion as D.C Anna Travis and Michael Fassbender who recently excelled in Steve Mcqueen's Hunger as hunger strike victim Bobby Sands, decide to have a romantic weekend in the picturesque Eden Lake they find the expected secluded spot with a plan for a romantic weekend is not so deserted as they expected. A group of local delinquents led by Brett of UK TV Skin's fame Jack O'Connell, start what is just a simple case of harrassment and intimidation and escalates into a terrifying experience for the couple resulting in devastaing consequences.

This is not Camp Crystal Lake and Jenny and Steve aren't some selfish couple you can't wait to see terrorised, both Reilly and Fassbender invest their characters with enough humanity, (Steve intends to propose to Jenny during their idylic weekend) that when the events turn nasty after the couples car is stolen by the gang and results in the death of Brett's pet rotweiller when Steve defends himself in a attempt to retrive their car and escape, your empathy for the couple makes the ensuing events including an unsure This Is England's Thomas Turgoose egged on by the sadistic Brett to take a stanley knife to a trussed up and already badly bleeding from numerous wounds inflicted by others in the gang Steve's toungue, witnessed by a hidden terrified Jenny that all more convincing, the time taken to flesh out the couple with some small details gives the actions that sense of real empathy to the viewer otherwise absent in the genre the majority of the time. Jenny is forced to take actions and efforts never contemplated before result in a tragic but violent act that will have consequences as this propels to it's shocking and unexpected climax. The closing frames are paticularly chilling.

Watkin's has created a horror movie which puts the 99% of Hollywood horror output to shame, employing the minimum amount of cliches within his script to recall not only The Decent but John Boorman's Deliverance and all within an extremley well used 87 minutes. The gore is effectively used but not extensively and only where necessary. The cast is superb, Fassbender is his usual reliable self but it is Reilly and O'Connell who impress the most. Reilly performance convinces you of her terror and determination, her transformation from city girl to terrified but determined survivor no stretch of the imagination and O'Connell is utterly terrifying and real as the monstrous Brett. Witness him as he orders only female member of the gang Paige (Finn Atkins) to film the torture on his mobile phone recording the sick detail of his deeds. He gives Brett a horrifying sense of the real, yes this person could well exist in the real World all too easily. Although the others of the gang go along with his actions it seems more out of being lost under spell of his overpowering presence, almost suggesting the others are nearly as much victims as the couple of his actions. Paige's intimidation earlier in the film towards Jenny seems nothing in reflection and Brett's actions have got out of control something the rest of the gang is aware but rarely too terrified to challenge.

Turgoose's Cooper's innocence etched on his face and British TV regular Shaun Dooley makes a brief but extremeley convincing appearance as Brett's Father making the personality of Brett so depressingly likely, who's off screen actions leave us in a very uncomfortable place and make for a horrific and sobering conclusion.

Watkin's may give the impression this might veer off into Jenny going all First Blood on the gang and in the hopefully not to be commissioned American remake would most likely be too much of a temptation, (witness the U.S ending of The Decent allowing a sequel to be in the making, ironically scripted by Watkins himself) although he is in full control of his goal and thankfuly imbues the film with tragedy and realness which very rarely ends up being approached in such a film.

Both Julyan's score and Christopher Ross's cinematography and Jon Harris's editing complement each other so effectively in conveying a sense of unease at the beginning of the film and proceed to rachet the tension up more and more as it goes on.

Once again like The Descent the Brits show how it is done, considering the output of Hollywood, being it torture pørn like The Saw series or Eli Roth's awful Hostel films or their propensity to remake Asian horror films. Watkins and his team have proved what can be achieved with a dose of intelligence and all too real horror.

• Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Last one was Bram Stoker's Dracula, the mid 90's film with Gary Oldman etc. Excellent cast, decent film, forgotten how good it was...and some nice boobies occassionally :twisted:

Tomorrow I'm gonna watch Mask, the Cher movie rather than Jim Carrey's....don't know why, but something here tonight made me think of it. :lol:
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    went to see valkerie w/tom cruise. basically tom cruise playing a nazi trying to kill hitler. he does a fine job and there are some good scenes, but i wouldn't recommend it for a theatre...wait until dvd or hbo. a movie like that, sad to say, needed to be longer for more character development.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I saw the wrestler, revolutionary road, and defiance this weekend. All were good.
    I'm not sure what is next on my list now i've seen a lot of the ones i wanted to see :?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    The Wrestler
    Milk
    Frost/Nixon

I hope to see one of these over next weekend.
  • Options
    about to watch milk :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jamie uk wrote:
    Last one was Bram Stoker's Dracula, the mid 90's film with Gary Oldman etc. Excellent cast, decent film, forgotten how good it was...and some nice boobies occassionally :twisted:

Tomorrow I'm gonna watch Mask, the Cher movie rather than Jim Carrey's....don't know why, but something here tonight made me think of it. :lol:

i'm going to write a movie in which the lead role is played by a ginger guy in his 20's, who is going bald, and he thinks he's mister lover lover but in actuality he wanks into bags of microwaved liver every 4 hours... i'm gonna call it Ron Howard's Fantasia!

i'll probably end up watching Trainspotting instead. :roll:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Watchmen...I dont really have much interest in anything up to that. I've seen all the oscar movies and Taken already
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    i'm seeing Frost/Nixon tonight, looking forward to it, even better because its free
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    saw revolutionary road - excellent!
    next up, i think.....doubt.

there are sooo many good films out at the moment, and seeing previews, looks like some good films to come!
    i really wat to see duplicity, i think it comes out in the spring. julia roberts, clive owen....from the writer or director, can't remember now - for michael clayton....preview looks awesome. last chance harvey with dustin hoffman and emma thompson looks so good too. really, a bunch of flicks on the horizion look so tempting!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    milk is really really good, well worth a watch. i don;t think it's oscar worthy but ive a feeling it will win a few anyway
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life