Options

What song got you into Pearl Jam??

Comments

• Options
    suns rivalsuns rival Posts: 15,926
    simple. it's because of ten, one of the greatest debut albums ever created, if not, the greatest.
    scratching my butt...
    kinakamot ang aking puwit...
    me rascando pompis...
    krap mijn reet...
    boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
    bahrosh teezy...
  • Options
    ogre1213 wrote:
    If you weren't old enough to appreciate the "grunge" era, what song got you to say "wow, this band is awesome i wanna hear some more"???

surprisingly for me it was nothing as it seems, then i realized cool i didnt know they also played daughter, and... its all history and music bliss since then

so what about everyone else?

When I was about 10 I was OBSESSED with Last Kiss. I would literally sit next to my boom box/radio in my room listing to 97.5 PST waiting for it to come on (which at the time was about 1 per 3 hours). I asked my Aunt to get me a Pearl Jam album for Christmas and instead recieved the soundtrack to Tarzan by Phil Collins. Needless to say I was devestated. Finally about 2 years ago, fully forgetting my former obsession with Last Kiss, I started hearing WWS on the radio. I kind of liked it, so I downloaded a couple PJ songs from Limewire (sorry, I've since bought every album legally). The next 3 songs got me into them. Breath, Black, and Yellow Ledbetter. Been about 2 years now and I still remember the exact songs that I first downloaded. Looking back I think it’s a great mix of their styles to get me or anyone into the band. Breath rocks out and has some cool lyrics, Ledbetter had a nice sound to it from Ed especially I thought, while Black shows off their slower side and is simply an amazing song. Took me about 3 weeks of listening to these songs once in a while until I fully realized just how amazing this band was. I remember lying in bed one night listening to Ledbetter, and it was like I had an epiphany. I don’t know how to explain it, but all of a sudden I LOVED PEARL JAM. Next step was to raid my Dad’s CD collection and he had VS. Listened to that for a while, and I really liked it, but none of the songs really jumped out to me. I really like the song dissident. Next step was to visit the ole pearljam website, Here to my delight I found I could download bootlegs for free. Took me a while to figure out how to do that, but from that point on I basically only listened to live music. This was another interesting way that kind of exposed me first off, to how great a live band they were, and also to just expose me to a wide range of their music and covers. I bought Ten, No Code, Binaural, Yield, and Riot Act all at once. Later buying Avocado, and finally Vitalogy for 6 bucks at a supermarket just 2 months ago. I can’t wait to finally experience Pearl Jam live this summer, and I thank anyone who spent the time to read this.
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    suns rival wrote:
    simple. it's because of ten, one of the greatest debut albums ever created, if not, the greatest.
    Just imagine if they had the some of the b-sides/extras on that album. Especially, Yellow Ledbetter and the re-recorded Even Flow. Ten could have been the world's first perfect album. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    ogre1213 wrote:
    If you weren't old enough to appreciate the "grunge" era, what song got you to say "wow, this band is awesome i wanna hear some more"???

surprisingly for me it was nothing as it seems, then i realized cool i didnt know they also played daughter, and... its all history and music bliss since then

i love this question becuz my answer is EVENFLOW!!!! :D
    that was the very first song i heard and it was on casette and i was addicted immediately! that is STILL my favorite song. :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    loveatreeloveatree in my tree Posts: 142
    edited April 2009
    RELEASE- I would listen to the whole ten album on rotation. Listening to pj on my way to and from school. For about a year I listened to Ten on my walkman jammin to pj sitting on the bart. Since then of course I have grown to have many favorite songs, but RELEASE will always hold a place in my heart, it was the song that really made me fall in love with pearl jam and was the first song i got to hear them play live!
    Post edited by loveatree on
    2006 LA/ SF/ Mountain View. 2009 LA/ SF. 2013 LA/ Oakland/ Seattle. 2014 Denver

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    Funny, the song that got me hooked on them was Garden. It was the song that made me really listen to Ten and I was hooked from there.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    Live on two legs version of Corduroy

and than

MFC

i was in a chilis parking lot smoking a blunt.

saw them live soon there after... now i follow these guys around when they come to florida.
  • Options
    zacman13245zacman13245 Posts: 294
    Alive
    I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning

6/30/2008 - Mansfield, MA.
    5/17/2010 - Boston, MA
    9/3/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
    9/4/2011 - East Troy, WI (PJ20)
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    may i also add... tonight when i get home from work... im rolling a blunt and listening to Lost Dogs

:)

LOUD
  • Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Gold 26 wrote:
    Not a song as such, it was the whole Ten album.

When I was 14 in 1993 I had a record voucher with which I wanted to buy The Spaghetti Incident by Guns N' Roses (which incidently is rubbish) but I forgot I had it and paid cash. I then had to spend the voucher so looked in the rock section and just picked an album at random and there we have it....

I agree, it was the entire 10 album for me. I was 17 when I bought it in '92, and it had me hooked.
  • Options
    susannjsusannj Posts: 648
    Well my twin sister bought the TEN album and kept playing it in the car. I wasn't crazy about it at first but LOVED when I heard 'Release'. After about listening to the album a few more times that was it for me!!
    -See the waves on distant shores, awaiting your arrival...

Stanhope, New Jersey 08-12-1992
    Randall's Island, New York 09-28-1996
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 09-08-1998
    Wantagh, New York 08-24-2000
    New York, New York 07-09-2003
    E. Rutherford, New Jersey 06-03-2006
    New York, New York 05-21-2010
    Brooklyn, New York 10-19-2013
    New York, New York 05-01-2016
    New York, New York 09-11-2022
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Black.

I litterally teared up the first time I heard it.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    macgyver06 wrote:
    may i also add... tonight when i get home from work... im rolling a blunt and listening to Lost Dogs

:)

LOUD

they have weed in orlando??
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    evenflow

back in 1993...?
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,786
    Alive and not so long after Go totally blew me away as did animal
  • Options
    In 2000 I heard Bugs...

That was it.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    G-forceG-force Posts: 218
    Evenflow for sure.

However the album that got me hooked-on for good was Vitalogy. After 3 straight kick ass albums that's what did it for me.
  • Options
    hhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiii oooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm still ALIVE hhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyy
  • Options
    the first 3 tracks of Vitalogy in 2000.....everyday changing in the locker room (only there for 10 minutes a day so thats all i got to hear)

then i was like, oh this group sings daughter, elderly too?

right after that bought all the albums

within two years bought all the vinyl and posters i could afford
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    ogre1213 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTTsyk-pyd8&feature=related
    Rocking in the free world with neil on the award night they cleaned up for Jeremy ( ed said this award means nothing-- dont remember the date)
    they closed with neil and when the played Ritfw it blew my mind. Loved neil but I was thinking fuck better get that Album, the start of the soundtrack to my life
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    Alive...this actually really happened to me at 15. Heard Alive in late 91 when I was 17.

Son, she said, have I got a little story for you
    What you thought was your daddy was nothin' but a (fool)
    While you were sittin' home alone at age thirteen...
  • Options
    Army & NavyArmy & Navy Posts: 120
    I had the first 3 albums (Ten, VS, Vitalogy) but never got fully 'into them'

No Code made me a fan, loved the more mellow side at that point.

Then the Euro Boots (San Sebastian, London, Milan) pushed me over the top. I bought everything they ever released from that day forward.
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    Gold 26 wrote:
    Not a song as such, it was the whole Ten album.

I agree with Gold 26
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,114
    I was a little young for the grunge era, as I was either 7 or 8 when Ten was released. However, I did go through my older sister's albums and listen to them. She had Vs. and I remember liking Daughter when I first heard it, but it didn't immediately make me a fan. Then a couple years later when I first heard Better Man on the radio, I became addicted to that song and got Vitalogy. Vitalogy led to getting Ten and Vs., and from then on I was an addict.
  • Options
    Kind of a prolonged love affair.

I grew up in Indiana, listening to X103 and buying pretty much everything from every band on there (stupid Clear Channel controlling my life). So, I had Ten, Vs., et al. in my collection already. But Pearl Jam was hardly my favorite band and I rarely listened to any of them straight through. I even remember buying Yield right after it first came out and being like, "this is ok" (I know, I was completely ignorant).

Anyway, Live on Two Legs came out and Elderly Woman was getting a ton of airplay on the X back my sophomore year in high school (98-99). I remember driving to school early one morning because our basketball team got together each morning to shoot free throws. I had the chorus stuck in my head. I was standing there shooting with a partner and I just kept humming it. Then, I realized the guy next to me was doing the same thing. I just couldn't get it out of my head. So, I went out that night and bought Live on Two Legs on CD and cassette (my car didn't have a CD player).

I swear I listened to Elderly Woman two times a morning for about two weeks. Of course, I also found I loved the live versions (which I wasn't a bootleg guy obviously being a casual fan) of old favorites like Black and Corduroy so much better than the studio versions. Pretty soon, I'd worn that cassette out and I'd started going deeper and deeper into the old albums finding out that I loved a whole lot more than the big hits.
  • Options
    TEEJAM11TEEJAM11 Posts: 335
    I would say the TEN album.
    But the song that got me, and still love to this day is BLACK..............
    what a song, I really love when everyone sings it at a live show....
    It's really craze looking back thinking that I have been listing to PJ for 17 yrs..
    each album brings me back to a different stage in my life... craze shit...
    The funny thing is my wife asked me the other day, don't you get sick of listing to the same thing or band all the time? and I was like nope. My kids just started laughing at me and said I knew you would say that....
  • Options
    When I was in middle school one of the guidance counselors that knew my family actually gave me a mixtape of what he said was "good" music in comparison to what I was listening to. It had Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots. Even Flow was on there and it made me buy the ten album. Then I was hooked.
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, I refer to those in love....
  • Options
    loladog1loladog1 Posts: 92
    black.... I eas in 8th grade....wow!
    lolla 8/2/92 - soldier field 7/11/95 - east troy 6/26/98 6/27/98 - Chicago 6/29/99 - east troy 10/8/00 - Champaign 4/23/03 - Chicago 6/18/03 - east troy 6/21/03 - PNC Park 9/28/05 (stones opener) - Chicago 5/16/06 - Chicago 5/17/06 - Summerfest 06 - the vic 8/2/07 - lolla 8/5/07 - MSG #2 08 - EV solo 8/08 - Chicago 8/23/09 8/24/09 - Los Angeles 10/6/09 10/7/09, EV Boston, Chi, NY 11, PJ20 East Troy, WI - Chicago 7/19/13 - Cinci 10/1/14, Moline, IL 10/17/14, Jacksonville, FL 4/13/16 - Toronto 5/10/16 -  Boston 8/7/16 - Chicago 8/20 & 8/22/16 - Chicago 8/18 & 8/20/18 - St Louis 9/18/22 - St Paul 8/31/23 - Chicago 9/5 & 9/7/23 - Ft Worth 9/13/23 - Austin 9/18/23
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    I remember hearing Jeremy somewhere during the grunge years when I was 8. I always remembered that song, when I was 13 i finally got a copy of Ten and the rest is history.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,493
    ten

porch

then I bought Vs. and it was over for the rest of the music world