LCD Vs. Plasma.

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited November 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Im looking to get a new tv between 37"-42" I want it to look great for all of my sports teams that I watch. And how much is it if im already a direct tv customer, and I want to get HD programming for the 1st time? I know its $10 a month for programming, but how much for the new dish and receiver?
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    I'm not certain. But I think Plasma TV's are going away.
    I miss igotid88
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    Im looking to get a new tv between 37"-42" I want it to look great for all of my sports teams that I watch. And how much is it if im already a direct tv customer, and I want to get HD programming for the 1st time? I know its $10 a month for programming, but how much for the new dish and receiver?

for your size range, LCD is the way to go.

for my dad, he got the receiver for $99 at Costco (now I think it's at $169) and DirecTV put the dish in for free.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    LSD for sure
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • I've never taken plasma....so I'll say LSD.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    LSD for sure

Ha. That's what I saw. :)
  • LCD for me
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Ha. That's what I saw. :)

hmmm what do we have on our minds this evening?

My brain needs a vacation for about 12 hours.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Samsung LN40A650. The best LCDs out (Samsungs x650 & x750 series). The only issue the 650 has is glare. Make sure you don't have a huge window with the sun beating down in front of your TV. Other than that, THE best picture quality of any HDTV out currently...except for the Pioneer 8G and new 9G Kuros. ;) But Pioneer isn't making smaller than 50" plasmas any longer so your best bet is the Samsung.

Amazon has a great deal on it too:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A650-40-inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0014175NE/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1213403869&sr=8-3
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • glare

which was my reason for choosing LCD. But my brother has a plasma, and it looks fantastic. HD rules too....wow, what a step for mankind :)
    igotid88 wrote:
    I'm not certain. But I think Plasma TV's are going away.
    Not true. Panasonic and Pioneer will be in the plasma game for quite a few years. And there isn't ANY HDTV better than Pioneer and Pioneer Elites (plasmas).

Sony does have some VERY nice LCDs coming out this year though (46" & 55" XBR8s). Pioneer Elites will still take them though. ;)
    "What a stupid lamb."
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    I have a Sony 42" LCD (bought in Dec. of 05) and I've never had a problem with it. Mix that in with the dish and it's a wonder how I ever get out of the house. Nothing beats the warm glow of HDTV.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
    Not true. Panasonic and Pioneer will be in the plasma game for quite a few years. And there isn't ANY HDTV better than Pioneer and Pioneer Elites (plasmas).

Sony does have some VERY nice LCDs coming out this year though (46" & 55" XBR8s). Pioneer Elites will still take them though. ;)

That's what they said about hd-dvd.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    That's what they said about hd-dvd.
    Pioneer is no HD-DVD, and neither is Panasonic for that matter. They'll be in the game until OLED replaces plasma AND LCD. ;)
    "What a stupid lamb."
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Plasma will always be the luxury choice for people who want the very very very best picture.
    LCD will always be the practical choice for people who just want to watch TV without the hassle of replacing the plasma every once in a while.

Plasma still has its place for the moment, but LCD is more suited to 99.9% of people.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
    fowls wrote:
    Plasma will always be the luxury choice for people who want the very very very best picture.
    LCD will always be the practical choice for people who just want to watch TV without the hassle of replacing the plasma every once in a while.

Plasma still has its place for the moment, but LCD is more suited to 99.9% of people.
    Are you serious? Replace the plasma? What are you talking about? Plasmas are maintenance free, with a half life of 20 years (20 years before they reach half their brightness). And I'm saying 20 years with an average usage of 8 hrs per day for 20 years straight. Plasmas are rated for 60,000 hrs and Panasonic has increased that to 100,000 hrs. So yeah, you'll want to upgrade your plasma (Panasonic or Pioneer) waaaaay before it goes out on you.

But you're right, plasmas are for the people that want the best in picture quality and performance, and are willing to pay for it. ;)
    "What a stupid lamb."
    Are you serious? Replace the plasma? What are you talking about? Plasmas are maintenance free, with a half life of 20 years (20 years before they reach half their brightness). And I'm saying 20 years with an average usage of 8 hrs per day for 20 years straight. Plasmas are rated for 60,000 hrs and Panasonic has increased that to 100,000 hrs. So yeah, you'll want to upgrade your plasma (Panasonic or Pioneer) waaaaay before it goes out on you.

But you're right, plasmas are for the people that want the best in picture quality and performance, and are willing to pay for it. ;)

you talking numbers. HOT
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    you talking numbers. HOT

What can I say, I know what is the best..:)
    "What a stupid lamb."
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027

umm Plasma is not always the best in quality and performance. i sold tv in a high end electronics store for 4 years. Plasma has a much higher return rate then LCD. While plasma does in fact have a "brighter" picture most of the time, that dont always make it a "better" picture. LCD's tend to be more realistic looking. Lets face it, when you look out the window, things are just not as bright in real life as they come across on plasma. LCD's have more true look to them in my opinion. I have both, i have a 55 inch Plasma, ( which i just gave to the ex-wife ) and have a 42 inch LCD in the bedroom, and just bought a new 46 inch LCD for my main set in the living room.

its all a matter of opinion really. for me LCD is the better way to go.
    with that being said, you can get more tv for your buck with plasma (size wise) LCD's cost more per inch then Plasma's do.

oh, btw, the half life statistics are very misleading, as most tv's on the market now would never last 20 years period. if they did, would they still be that bright? yes. but something else on the tv would take a shit on ya b4 you could ever find that out.

as far as being maintenance free goes, that could be said for LCD's also. there just isnt a whole lot of maintenance you need to do on either a plasma or LCD.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    the wolf wrote:
    umm Plasma is not always the best in quality and performance. i sold tv in a high end electronics store for 4 years. Plasma has a much higher return rate then LCD. While plasma does in fact have a "brighter" picture most of the time, that dont always make it a "better" picture. LCD's tend to be more realistic looking. Lets face it, when you look out the window, things are just not as bright in real life as they come across on plasma. LCD's have more true look to them in my opinion. I have both, i have a 55 inch Plasma, ( which i just gave to the ex-wife ) and have a 42 inch LCD in the bedroom, and just bought a new 46 inch LCD for my main set in the living room.

with that being said, you can get more tv for your buck with plasma (size wise) LCD's cost more per inch then Plasma's do.

oh, btw, the half life statistics are very misleading, as most tv's on the market now would never last 20 years period. if they did, would they still be that bright? yes. but something else on the tv would take a shit on ya b4 you could ever find that out.

as far as being maintenance free goes, that could be said for LCD's also. there just isnt a whole lot of maintenance you need to do on either a plasma or LCD.
    I thought it was the other way around.. LCD's have a brighter picture, but plasmas have deeper, richer colors and better black levels..

Either way, LCDs have pretty much caught up to plasmas as far as picture quality in the last couple of years.
  • finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    I thought it was the other way around.. LCD's have a brighter picture, but plasmas have deeper, richer colors and better black levels..

Either way, LCDs have pretty much caught up to plasmas as far as picture quality in the last couple of years.

yeah..thats what I thought too.. Plasmas have much more realistic picture than LCDs. I have a 42'' panasonic viera plasma and its amazing.. when compared to my relatives' LCD the picture quality is way better.

:)
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
    finnannie wrote:
    yeah..thats what I thought too.. Plasmas have much more realistic picture than LCDs. I have a 42'' panasonic viera plasma and its amazing.. when compared to my relatives' LCD the picture quality is way better.

:)

like i said, it depends on what you think "realistic" is. lol. i guess its just from after seeing LCD side by side with Plasma for 4 years, i tend to think the LCD is closer to how we actually see things. as far a s picture quality goes, if its in HD, its all the same quality for the most part. if you notice a difference, it must be a higher end Plasma vs. a lower end LCD.
    (meaning the processor is runnning at a higher rate in the plasma)

its all opinion. :)
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    the wolf wrote:

Wow, 90% of what you've said is completely wrong. Also, working in "high end" electronics store doesn't necessarily make you knowledgeable about the products you sell. If so, I wouldn't have to argue with the morons at my local Best Buy Magnolia as I normally do everytime I go there. :| It's like they are clueless.

First off, LCDs are the ones that are brighter. You have it backwards. Some of the complaints of plasma owners is that plasmas look dimmer compared to LCDs.

Secondly, plasmas have the more realistic picture (truer to film). LCDs tend to have an overblown image (most commonly known as torch mode). Plasmas have the most realistic and more accurate picture. Pioneer Elites have THE most accurate colors of ANY HDTV on the market now. And this is not just my opinion, it is fact. After an ISF calibration, 8G and even better 9G Pioneer Elites are SPOT ON ACCURATE. Nothing can touch it. Nothing.

Thirdly, half life is just that, half the set's brightness. Obviously other parts of the set can fail, just as it can on an LCD. So as far as reliability, they are equal. I only throw that out there because most people have a misconception that plasmas need to be "refilled" for some reason.

And lastly, QUALITY plasmas are normally a little more expensive than a quality LCD. For instance, a 52" Sony XBR/Samsung 650/750 LCD is cheaper than a Pioneer 5010/5020 and way cheaper than a Pioneer PRO-110FD/111FD Elite. All sets are 1080p, but like I said, the Pioneer will give you the best overall picture quality and performance. But you're going to have to pay for it. Pioneer is currently the king of HDTVs, there is no debating that. It is a fact. And if you did any research, you'd defintiely know that. The only question is, can you afford it?

And just to clear things up, when I compare LCD vs plasma, I'm ONLY comparing QUALITY sets that include Sony and Samsung (LCDs), and Panasonic and Pioneer (plasmas). I'm not comparing junk like Vizio plasmas or Westinghouse LCDs. I really only recommend those brands I mentioned above as they are the best HDTVs that are currently available.
    "What a stupid lamb."
  • Wow, 90% of what you've said is completely wrong. Also, working in "high end" electronics store doesn't necessarily make you knowledgeable about the products you sell. If so, I wouldn't have to argue with the morons at my local Best Buy Magnolia as I normally do everytime I go there. :| It's like they are clueless.

First off, LCDs are the ones that are brighter. You have it backwards. Some of the complaints of plasma owners is that plasmas look dimmer compared to LCDs.

Secondly, plasmas have the more realistic picture (truer to film). LCDs tend to have an overblown image (most commonly known as torch mode). Plasmas have the most realistic and more accurate picture. Pioneer Elites have THE most accurate colors of ANY HDTV on the market now. And this is not just my opinion, it is fact. After an ISF calibration, 8G and even better 9G Pioneer Elites are SPOT ON ACCURATE. Nothing can touch it. Nothing.

Thirdly, half life is just that, half the set's brightness. Obviously other parts of the set can fail, just as it can on an LCD. So as far as reliability, they are equal. I only throw that out there because most people have a misconception that plasmas need to be "refilled" for some reason.

And lastly, QUALITY plasmas are normally a little more expensive than a quality LCD. For instance, a 52" Sony XBR/Samsung 650/750 LCD is cheaper than a Pioneer 5010/5020 and way cheaper than a Pioneer PRO-110FD/111FD Elite. All sets are 1080p, but like I said, the Pioneer will give you the best overall picture quality and performance. But you're going to have to pay for it. Pioneer is currently the king of HDTVs, there is no debating that. It is a fact. And if you did any research, you'd defintiely know that. The only question is, can you afford it?

And just to clear things up, when I compare LCD vs plasma, I'm ONLY comparing QUALITY sets that include Sony and Samsung (LCDs), and Panasonic and Pioneer (plasmas). I'm not comparing junk like Vizio plasmas or Westinghouse LCDs. I really only recommend those brands I mentioned above as they are the best HDTVs that are currently available.

dare i say, i'm in love
    Wow, 90% of what you've said is completely wrong. Also, working in "high end" electronics store doesn't necessarily make you knowledgeable about the products you sell. If so, I wouldn't have to argue with the morons at my local Best Buy Magnolia as I normally do everytime I go there. :| It's like they are clueless.

first, who said best buy is a "high end" electronics store. they know nothing there for the most part. there is a difference between being a clerk in an electronics chain store, and a commissoned salesman in a "high end" store. i guess i just got lucky making 75grand a year selling tv's for 4 years. lol.

as far as knowledge goes, it depends on what you read. i can only go by what training i was sent to by the actual manufactures expos. when you spend three weeks a year in japan 4 years in a row at an electronics expo, and you actually have "face time"
    with the "wizards" behind the technology you get a different point of view.

and if 90% of what i said is just wrong, then none of us should believe anything we are being told by anyone, because about 75% of what i said came right from the mouth of Sony's head of research. he also told me that Sony even considered getting out of Plasma in 2005, but then decided to stay with plasma because the cost of manufacturing a Plasma is 10% less then LCD.

im not going to get into a pissing match about this, considering anyone can pull up a review or article online to support their point of view on this. strong cases can be made for both plasma and LCD. im going by what i know, and what i was told from the actual research and development teams from the manufactures.

what i do know to be fact is that my Samsung 750 LCD kicked my Sony Plasmas ass, thats why i gave the sony to the ex.

when it all comes down to it, you are getting a good a tv either way you go , plasma or LCD. so long as you dont cheap out and buy a low line set.
    Peace, Love.

-- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045

I am so turned on right now.....:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    the wolf wrote:

when it all comes down to it, you are getting a good a tv either way you go , plasma or LCD. so long as you dont cheap out and buy a low line set.

What would the top 3-4 lines be? and what would you stay away from?
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    the wolf wrote:
    first, who said best buy is a "high end" electronics store. they know nothing there for the most part. there is a difference between being a clerk in an electronics chain store, and a commissoned salesman in a "high end" store. i guess i just got lucky making 75grand a year selling tv's for 4 years. lol.

as far as knowledge goes, it depends on what you read. i can only go by what training i was sent to by the actual manufactures expos. when you spend three weeks a year in japan 4 years in a row at an electronics expo, and you actually have "face time"
    with the "wizards" behind the technology you get a different point of view.

and if 90% of what i said is just wrong, then none of us should believe anything we are being told by anyone, because about 75% of what i said came right from the mouth of Sony's head of research. he also told me that Sony even considered getting out of Plasma in 2005, but then decided to stay with plasma because the cost of manufacturing a Plasma is 10% less then LCD.

im not going to get into a pissing match about this, considering anyone can pull up a review or article online to support their point of view on this. strong cases can be made for both plasma and LCD. im going by what i know, and what i was told from the actual research and development teams from the manufactures.

what i do know to be fact is that my Samsung 750 LCD kicked my Sony Plasmas ass, thats why i gave the sony to the ex.

Magnolia Best Buy is different than just Best Buy, but you're right, you can definitely get much higher end than Magnolia. I quoted "high end" because that is what most people consider high end. If you want to talk high end, we can drop our current conversation altogether and start talking about Runco and B&O equipment, but I doubt most people here are looking at that price range.

And yes, there is a difference between a clerk and sales person, a sales person knows how to lie better. ;) If you like, I can talk to some sales guys selling Monster and Bose products making 100,000K per year, but that doesn't make them any smarter. They're just good at pushing their junk products on unsuspecting customers.

What I'm saying is all factual, with no fluff. I communicate REGULARLY with high end dealers, manufactures, and professional calibrators and all my claims can be backed up by the experts in the field. If you'd like, check out avsforum.com and do some reading up. Even die hard LCD supportors will acknowledge the fact that Pioneer Elites are king. No "ifs," "ands", or "buts." In fact, when a Sony rep saw the first Pioneer Kuros (8G Pioneer plasma) demoed at CES, his only words were, "uh oh."

And I'd like to correct you again, Sony has completely pulled out of the plasma market, and have been out of the plasma market for quite a few years now. They have pretty much pulled out of rear projection (LCoS) too, and are concentraiting on their LCD line. So I don't know what "Sony rep" you are talking to, but they are not producing plasmas any longer. The big players in plasma now are Pioneer and Panasonic.

And lastly, yes, I'm sure your 2008 LCD is better than your old Sony plasma. You're comparing apples to oranges. Try comparing the 750 to a Pioneer Elite 111FD and I think you'll come to a different conclusion. ;) The Samsung 750 series is a VERY nice LCD, and I'd go as far as to say the 650/750 Samsungs are THE BEST LCDs out now...that is until Sony releases their new XBR8 line in September (LED with local dimming). ;) That being said, Pioneer still has the crown. And anyone that knows high end displays should know that.
    "What a stupid lamb."
  • chinobaezachinobaeza Posts: 2,489
    everything depends on the size of the TV....but I prefer LCD
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    the wolf wrote:
    Dude, you're shoveling your hole deeper and deeper.. Sony Stopped making plasma TVs a few years back.

:p

In Hiding seems to know what she is talking about, although new high end LCDs are pretty much as good as plasma now.. plus they are friendlier on the electric bill, environment and your back.
    Dude, you're shoveling your hole deeper and deeper.. Sony Stopped making plasma TVs a few years back.

:p

In Hiding seems to know what she is talking about, although new high end LCDs are pretty much as good as plasma now.. plus they are friendlier on the electric bill, environment and your back.

Maybe...;)
    "What a stupid lamb."