Options

Edit

2»

Comments

• Options
    The list is a joke, as I emailed a friend of mine:

PJ is yet again shafted from a RS Best of List. And who pray tell, sings better than Ed?

25 | Michael Jackson
    34 | Whitney Houston
    44 | Bobby "Blue" Bland (who?)
    52 | Brian Wilson
    55 | Paul Rodgers (now we are into give me an effing break territory)
    58 | Christina Aguilera
    59 | Rod Stewart
    61 | Roger Daltrey (muahahaha, y'all missed the VH1 rock honors)
    62 | Lou Reed (ouch, Lou is a greater singer than Ed?)
    63 | Dion (oh so relevant, perhaps your ballotteers meant Celine Dion and left out the first name)
    64 | Axl Rose (uh yeah they went there, Sebastian Bach was a judge)
    65 | David Ruffin (you have to Google it)
    66 | Thom Yorke (okay, now I hate you peeps on the nominating board)
    70 | Gregg Allman (getting really random now)
    73 | Dolly Parton (did Emmylou make this list? Keep ya posted, edit at end, why no, she did not, Ed you are in good company)
    76 | Steve Perry (I omitted Iggy Pop because the Lou Reed comment already covered it, but WTF, no Gracie Slick but Steve Perry?)
    84 | Darlene Love (Is there an obscure Motown resurgence consipiracy afoot?)
    92 | Morrissey (them's just fighting words, when you ranked Buckley 60 above Morrissey, but no Ed below the Lou and Iggy and Neil and Bob Dylan)
    94 | Karen Carpenter (LMFAO)
    99 | Steven Tyler (okay, iconic, but the 99th greater singer over the dude that sung Jeremy, Alive, Evenflow, BetterMan, Smalltown? Because Love in an Elevator was so much more emotive than those songs)

Rollingstone you did it again. Way to massively omit.

Edit to add, no way should the comment about Buckley above be taken as a diss - one they got correct, and at least Cornell got to write it up.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,459
    julienova wrote:
    The list is a joke, as I emailed a friend of mine:

PJ is yet again shafted from a RS Best of List. And who pray tell, sings better than Ed?

25 | Michael Jackson
    34 | Whitney Houston
    44 | Bobby "Blue" Bland (who?)
    52 | Brian Wilson
    55 | Paul Rodgers (now we are into give me an effing break territory)
    58 | Christina Aguilera
    59 | Rod Stewart
    61 | Roger Daltrey (muahahaha, y'all missed the VH1 rock honors)
    62 | Lou Reed (ouch, Lou is a greater singer than Ed?)
    63 | Dion (oh so relevant, perhaps your ballotteers meant Celine Dion and left out the first name)
    64 | Axl Rose (uh yeah they went there, Sebastian Bach was a judge)
    65 | David Ruffin (you have to Google it)
    66 | Thom Yorke (okay, now I hate you peeps on the nominating board)
    70 | Gregg Allman (getting really random now)
    73 | Dolly Parton (did Emmylou make this list? Keep ya posted, edit at end, why no, she did not, Ed you are in good company)
    76 | Steve Perry (I omitted Iggy Pop because the Lou Reed comment already covered it, but WTF, no Gracie Slick but Steve Perry?)
    84 | Darlene Love (Is there an obscure Motown resurgence consipiracy afoot?)
    92 | Morrissey (them's just fighting words, when you ranked Buckley 60 above Morrissey, but no Ed below the Lou and Iggy and Neil and Bob Dylan)
    94 | Karen Carpenter (LMFAO)
    99 | Steven Tyler (okay, iconic, but the 99th greater singer over the dude that sung Jeremy, Alive, Evenflow, BetterMan, Smalltown? Because Love in an Elevator was so much more emotive than those songs)

Rollingstone you did it again. Way to massively omit.

Edit to add, no way should the comment about Buckley above be taken as a diss - one they got correct, and at least Cornell got to write it up.

I like Paul Rodger's voice. I would've been fine if Ed was 100. Although I like him better than a few of those.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Elbereth84 wrote:
    Lol Christina Aguilera is on #58 ... but no Eddie. But at the end I don't mind. I know he's the #1 singer. ;)

exactly...i agree 100%!
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    This list is a damn joke........talk about poor sports.........

yes, I am writing them a letter.........

Eddie Vedder not on their list?

axl rose...........is? I mean, ok, but hell you have to be dead....(like Cobain), or of the Motown era, or like so bizarre you are good (Iggy Pop
    like him but nor love his stuff like.....ok, shit I am getting weird......you know what I mean.........)

they are a fucking joke. can one of you talented people here in this pit please start a really good music magazine? these people are asses.....
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    Us PJ fans can't have it both ways. Part of what makes the PJ environment great is that we usually don't see PJ or Eddie ranked highly in these lists, or be considered the 'greatest' anything,, by writers/media etc.

Of course we want to see the recognition...but it would take away from their persona and our fandom. I understand the frustration though. Aside from Ed, I think 3 members of 'The Band' should be on the list. But thats just me...

Anyway, no-one here needs convincing of how great Eddie and the rest of the band are.

Btw, can Christina Aguilera say that her '59th best song' has reached millions of listeners and brought joy to their lives? Not many artists can say that. Give Christina her spot on the list, and I'll gladly listen to the endless hours of PJ masterpieces.
  • Options
    Even if one dislikes Pearl Jam's music, it is still undeniable that Ed has one of the most powerful, beautiful, and distinctive voices in the world.
    Any best-of list of American singers that doesn't include him doesn't deserve be read.
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I think that Ed has one of the most incredible voices ever. It's what drew me to PJ in the beginning. Does he deserve to be on this list imo? Yes! But, it's his deliverance that sets his apart. If you are truly ranking "best singers ever", that's a huge list and he may not "qualify" to "purists". :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,918
    NeilJam wrote:
    You're correct about Dylan. He is a great songwriter, but a terrible singer.

Ed is left off the list, but of course they have Kurt Cobain on there. Apparently dying young makes one a great singer.
    Then why was Layne left off?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    Bob Dylan in the Top 10... Bob Dylan has a better voice than Paul McCartney?

Jackson Browne, Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder not on the list?

Ya... it's a joke.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Rolling Stone is run by a bunch of aging hippies white knuckling their youth and dry humping the 60's and 70's...

And guess what???.

They weren't very fucking good at covering that era either.

These short sighted laughable lists are further example of Rolling Stone's shameful and utterly pathetic lack of musical knowledge.

They should stick to chasing around junkies like Amy Winehouse and trash can recycled pop tarts like Brittany.

Rolling Stone should pack it in before they humiliate themselves any further and become the National Enquirer of Rock'N'Roll

What a Fucking Joke