Wrigley - '16
(RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
Fenway - '18
MSG - '22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    I think that Eddie should`ve been on the list, at least when Kurt Cobain is on there. BUT, when I see that Frank Sinatra isn`t on it, I don`t care. A list of the greatest singers of all time without Frank Sinatra is embarrasing
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • Options
    Lol Christina Aguilera is on #58 ... but no Eddie. But at the end I don't mind. I know he's the #1 singer. ;)
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    Sorry any list that has Bob Dyan in the top 10 is laughable. His voice is terrible.

I think this list is more who they are and maybe what they have done than being singers.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 714
    Lou Reed is funny to me, I think that guy sucks.
    It was voted on by a select few, I think the outcome of the whole list is just all over the place.
    RollingStone lets me down alot...
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Elvis has to be on there for it to be an official list. Sorry.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    Elvis has to be on there for it to be an official list. Sorry.

Unless you're talking about Costello, Elvis is on there.

Two of the big omissions I saw were Vedder and especially Michael Stipe. I thought, however, that it was nice to see so many soul singers there, many of whom are pop music's finest singers and don't always get the recognition they deserve.
  • Options
    digster wrote:

Two of the big omissions I saw were Vedder and especially Michael Stipe. I thought, however, that it was nice to see so many soul singers there, many of whom are pop music's finest singers and don't always get the recognition they deserve.

Those are the two I thought were definitely missing of course Ed and Michael Stipe... but Rolling Stone is a joke anyway so....
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    digster wrote:

Whew. Yes of course I don't mean Costello. But good lookin out cause he didn't even cross my mind when I wrote Elvis. I just assumed when you read Elvis, it would mean The King.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    How did Chris Cornell get left off that list?
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    at least Uncle Neil is there
    but honestly there are so many left off
    Vedder, Cornell, Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden, Staley, Sinatra, i can go on
    and look at the people on there too!
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    silas23silas23 SoCal Posts: 99
    Elbereth84 wrote:
    Lol Christina Aguilera is on #58 ... but no Eddie. But at the end I don't mind. I know he's the #1 singer. ;)

Are f'n serious???? Ya, that list is total B.S.
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    yoke wrote:
    Sorry any list that has Bob Dyan in the top 10 is laughable. His voice is terrible.

I think this list is more who they are and maybe what they have done than being singers.

You're correct about Dylan. He is a great songwriter, but a terrible singer.

Ed is left off the list, but of course they have Kurt Cobain on there. Apparently dying young makes one a great singer.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm at the point where I just don't care about lists like this anymore. My opinion is that Ed is better than some of the names people have mentioned here, but his being on the list doesn't matter. Its not going to affect his life, your life, or mine. Everyone's still who they are and doing what they do.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Don't worry everyone, Rolling Stone will have another list next year.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    mmmm I think here are many singer tha should've been there
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,459
    NeilJam wrote:
    You're correct about Dylan. He is a great songwriter, but a terrible singer.

Ed is left off the list, but of course they have Kurt Cobain on there. Apparently dying young makes one a great singer.

He'll probably be on the best drummers list also.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    I noticed that none of the write in artist ballots they have up have eddie on their lists. The lists had spots for the top 20. I was suprized that springsteen and jim james didnt at least have eddie on there.
  • Options
    Eddie Vedder would tell you straight to your face that Christina Aguilera is a better singer than he his. And I'm not even remotely joking. Have you watched "Shine a Light"...that Martin Scorcese Rolling Stones documentary of their show at the Beacon Theatr? Christina Aguilera duets with Mick Jagger on one of the songs and absolutely brings the house down. Once you can get past that fact that you used to see her on TRL when you were in college/high school...you realize that she is an amazing talent. Ed's great, we all love Pearl Jam...and of COURSE there's tons of obsessed Pearl Jam fanboys/girls out there that are fanatic enough to come to his defense on a Rolling Stone message board....but that doesn't mean he's one of the greatest 100 singers of all time. Get real, kids.

Also, there's a BIG difference between "having a cool voice" that works great for what he uses it for and being a "great singer".
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    JaneNY wrote:
    I'm at the point where I just don't care about lists like this anymore. My opinion is that Ed is better than some of the names people have mentioned here, but his being on the list doesn't matter. Its not going to affect his life, your life, or mine. Everyone's still who they are and doing what they do.

I think RS just makes these lists in order to get more mail. Of course most of it ends up being about certain artists that should or should not have been in the list.
  • Options
    Eddie Vedder would tell you straight to your face that Christina Aguilera is a better singer than he his. And I'm not even remotely joking. Have you watched "Shine a Light"...that Martin Scorcese Rolling Stones documentary of their show at the Beacon Theatr? Christina Aguilera duets with Mick Jagger on one of the songs and absolutely brings the house down. Once you can get past that fact that you used to see her on TRL when you were in college/high school...you realize that she is an amazing talent. Ed's great, we all love Pearl Jam...and of COURSE there's tons of obsessed Pearl Jam fanboys/girls out there that are fanatic enough to come to his defense on a Rolling Stone message board....but that doesn't mean he's one of the greatest 100 singers of all time. Get real, kids.

Also, there's a BIG difference between "having a cool voice" that works great for what he uses it for and being a "great singer".

So Kurt Cobain deserves a spot on this list over Ed?
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options

No. He probably doesn't.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • Options
    atleast jeff buckley got on there. he should be number 1 in my opinion
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328

If your gonna put bob dylan in the top 10, then the list isnt solely based off best "voices". And therefore, in this case best singers does mean using your vioce in a way the works great for it is being used for.

It cant go both ways. You cant put both Cobain and Aguilera over Vedder. If its based on singing ability then...
    vedder is ahead of cobain.

If its based on being a great front man in all aspects...
    then Vedder is ahead of Aguilera.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028

but again as someone mentioned, how in the world can bob dylan and kurt cobain( both whom i think are great) be on it but eddie not when he is a much better singer than either one of them ever was. . .
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 714

you make a good point... but the last thing you said pretty much goes for more than half of the people on that list. AND if they are on there because of what they do for only a certain kind of music.. well then, what do you call Bob Dylan? Christina is generic IMO, sure she's good at it, but it's generic.

I think eddie deserves to be on that list including some other of the seattle guys who really turned their styles into a craft

I said this before, the list is all over the place, and it's probably because they used voters like sebastian bach.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i love reading these comments more than wasting my time to go to the site and read all 100 names
    kudos
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    you make a good point... but the last thing you said pretty much goes for more than half of the people on that list.

You must have me confused with another user, because that's the only post I've made in this thread.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Elbereth84 wrote:

Yeah once I saw that one I knew this list was a joke...especially as she is lower than both Witney Houston and Mariah Carey, who for Pop music are/were far bigger than Christina will ever be...
  • Options
    Eddie should be on the list. He is imitated enough by other singers to know that he is important and influencial. That seems to be what this list is about. But RS likes to put stuff out there to make people mad so they react.
  • Options
    Got the issue today, looked at the list, was pissed Eddie wasn't in and others were, and I listed it on ebay. I can recognize the talent of Christina Aguilera; that's not my problem. It's just that Eddie and Cornell didn't make it that discredits the whole thing to me. I think it's just journalists and other artists trying to look cool by picking soul singers no one actually listens to. I have friends who have CDs by critical darling bands, but that doesn't mean they actually ever sit down and listen to them. Eddie has been often imitated and can sing a variety of material. Rant over.