2007 Steelers Black & Gold thread

2»

Comments

• PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    It's only the preseason, but I'll take that win.

Tomlin looked like he was having a blast on the sideline. I guess a two-touchdown lead will put a smile on any coach's face.

Ben was accurate in his three passes. Granted, N.O.'s CBs looked bad, but after last season, it's nice to see Ben making good decisions and throwing with accuracy, even though he only hoisted three passes.

Ced Wilson proved the old adage about the squeeky wheel getting the grease is true. He bitched about not getting the ball in practice. He finished with 99 yards on four receptions. I guess that's getting the ball and doing something when you do.

Woodley was moving around pretty well and gave the team some good coverage skills @ LB. It was odd to see somebody not named Joey Porter wearing No. 55.

That Madison kid in the secondary was laying the wood along the sideline, including a hit that flipped a fullback on to his head on the sideline.

Gay had a nice game. He crushed Meachem and then had an INT a little later in the second half.

The O-line did a good job of protecting. The defense was able to get into the backfield.

No glaring special teams errors, but Willie Reid better do a better job of fielding punts.

Nice to see the Davis kid rumbling through the line. Ed Bouchette, Steelers beat writer, said Davis reminded him of Barry Foster.

The secondary gave up some passing yards in the second half. I know it's only the reserves, but it's the bad thing about LeBeau's defense: he brings so much pressure from so many different angles that his defense has some big holes in the defensive backfield or on screen passes. It should be interesting to see what, if any, new wrinkles Tomlin, a former D coordinator, brings to the Steelers defense.

On a nice note, it was cool to see the defense wearing LeBeau's jersey during their tour of the H.O.F. I guess they're making a push for their coach to get into the H.O.F. If the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz can successfully campaign for Roger Wehrli, I don't see why somebody cannot start beating the drum for a former DB who revolutionized the 3-4 defense.

It's only Week One of the preseason. Still, I liked what I saw.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • I live out of the area and don't have the NFL network, so I missed it, but just got done reading all about it....

Tomlin was right about it being a "good first step"... While a win in the first preseason game doesn't really mean anything long term, if they would have came out and got killed, it would have really undercut Tomlin's approach to camp.

Maybe now that they actually got to hit someone with a different uniform, it might calm down the testiness at camp a bit.

I really like what I am seeing out of Tomlin, and for once in a long time, I am excited about the start of a steeler season. Between them and the Pens, this could be an exciting winter in the 'burgh.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Alright, they did what they were supposed to do against the woebegone Browns. Ben looked good, Willie kept plugging along and the defense was scary. Too bad about the guy on the Bills, but I heard he had voluntary movement in his arms and legs today. The Bills are going to come into the game fired up. Gotta think we've got a better, more experienced QB playing for our team at this moment than Broncos fans have playing for theirs.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Steelers should be able to handle the Bills on Sunday. I wouldn't look for Ben to throw another four TD passes this week, but at least we know the offense has that weapon in tact.

I'm looking for another stifling defensive performance in the home opener.

Here we go, Steelers!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    I leave for the Steelers game at Denver on Friday. I can't wait. Tix were kinda expensive -- $200 -- but it should be a great time. Hopefully we get a little snow.

With the way Denver's run defense has been lately, I'm calling my shot: Willie Parker gets more than 200 yards on the ground on Sunday Night Football and the Steelers roll (assuming Ben doesn't decide to throw to Champ's side in the red zone.
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    PJ_Saluki wrote:
    I leave for the Steelers game at Denver on Friday. I can't wait. Tix were kinda expensive -- $200 -- but it should be a great time. Hopefully we get a little snow.

With the way Denver's run defense has been lately, I'm calling my shot: Willie Parker gets more than 200 yards on the ground on Sunday Night Football and the Steelers roll (assuming Ben doesn't decide to throw to Champ's side in the red zone.
    if our line was good, i'd say yes. unfortunately, this is the worst o-line we've had in years.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
    I can't believe I traveled halfway across the country to watch that.

Ten passes on the first 13 offensive plays?!? Willie never really had a chance to get started in the first half and he still finished with something like 90 yards and two 20+ yard runs. Look, I understand that Champ was out, but Denver still had the top-rated pass defense in the NFL. Run the damn ball! If the offensive line can't pass block, and by the number of times Ben had to scramble out of trouble I'd say it's a safe bet they can't, run the damn ball! Hines, Hines, Hines...catch the damn ball.

PGH's defense disappointed. When the Steelers blitz but don't get crazy pressure they have sooooo many holes middle-underneath it's like playing Hogan's Alley for any decent QB -- aim and fire. I'm not how, but our defense looked totally confused at different points in the game. Dumb penalties and poor tackling gave Denver more yards than it should've had. Oh, and could somebody -- anybody -- please come up with a stop on third down? I know losing Aaron Smith hurt the defense, but it didn't matter how many yards the Broncos lacked for a first down, they just went out and got them.

I knew the team was cooked when they left 1:10 on the clock. Denver's three wins have all come on field goals and when a team can't stop third downs or passes right down the middle, moving the chains and getting into field-goal range is much easier than it should be.

Good thing PGH beat the Browns, who are only a game back I think, or the Steelers would be o-fer on the road this season.

TSA Nazis must be stopped. I really don't think my toothpaste, contact solution, face wash and body spray are the reasons why -- and this is quoting the douche nozzle at DIA -- "it's ridiculous that planes fall out of the sky." I had to shut my mouth when that guy was telling me that in response to me saying it was ridiculous they were taking my shit. He was trying to goad me, but I finally said, "Look, it's just stuff. Take it, I don't care. All I want to do is get on my flight and get home." Fucking chump!

Now to the positive: The team did not have any quit in it. Ben played an outstanding second half; I think he only had one incomplete pass. The number of Steelers fans at Mile High was incredible. Broncos fans were as passionate about their team as they were classy. Mile High is a loud, loud place to watch a game. The weather was perfect for football. Denver has great beer selections at its many bars. Colorado is just as beautiful as I remember it and I can't wait to go back again. Too bad the Steelers played like chumps.
  • GRIMMYGRIMMY Posts: 370
    WHOOOOO DEYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......thats all...lol
    grimmy
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    GRIMMY wrote:
    WHOOOOO DEYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......thats all...lol

:DWE DEY! :D

Also, I think the Steelers chances against New England are really good today. It will probably be a close game, but I like Pittsburgh to take a 23-20 victory.

Only seven hours left until kickoff...

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • I'm a TruckI'm a Truck Posts: 3,508
    I'm excited for the Mike Tomlin era... I was tired of Cowher.
    What the hell is wrong with you?
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I'm excited for the Mike Tomlin era... I was tired of Cowher.
    What the hell is wrong with you?
    :fp:

#FHP