2007 Steelers Black & Gold thread

PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
edited February 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Training camp has opened and the team's gotten through it's first set of two-a-days. The PPG talked about how physical the morning session was. There is definitely a new sheriff in town.

I like what I've seen and heard out of Tomlin. Now he just has to convince a veteran-laden team that he knows what the hell he's doing. If Ben and Hines are behind him, I think he'll have some instant credibility. Hopefully Faneca won't be a distraction, but he seems too professional to act a fool.

Ben would really have to stink to play as poorly as he did in 2006. He passed for his best-ever yardage mark in 2006 but he also doubled his career interception mark on his way to leading the league. Injuries and a poor performance from the offensive line hurt him. Maybe a new offensive coordinator will help Ben's growth as a QB. Arians has said he wants Ben doing more, not less, play-calling.

The O-line looks to have at least one hole with Hartings' retirement. Dunno if I'm sold on Okobi or Mahan. Should be interesting to see how the line reacts to Ben making blocking calls under center. Just clear some wholes for Willie.

Dunno if I see Willie getting more than last season's 1,400-plus yards. He'd have a 200-yard game and then two games in which he couldn't break 75 yards. I'd like to see a more consistent performance out of him though I think Willie is the least of our worries.

LeBeau sticking around should help the transition from 3-4 to 4-3 defenses. Extending Troy's deal was very nice. Losing Peezy could hurt but if Harrison can hit RBs as hard as he body slammed that moronic Browns fan a couple of years ago, that side of the D should be fine.

As it usually does, this season's defense will be defined by it's ability, or lack thereof, to stop the passing game. Ike Taylor is supposedly outta the dog house and the coaches have talked-up McFadden.

And then there's special teams. I was always surprised at how poor PGH's STs played under Cowher. I've read that one reason Tomlin is running two-a-days is to focus on that unit. Just keep Coclough off punt return, please.

Bold prediction time: Worst the Steelers will finish is 10-6. That record takes into account a Ravens sweep and a sweep of the Browns. If PGH can split w/the Ravens, I think they can win the division. I love the NFC West schedule right now. Hopefully I'll still love it in Dec.

Going out to Denver for the late-October game. Anybody else going to be there?
"Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJ_SalukiPJ_Saluki Posts: 1,006
    I'm bored so I'll get into the prediction game. I can't see the Steelers losing too many games with this schedule, though the NFC West might not be as big of a joke as it was last season. None of these predictions are based on science, computer programs, research or effort. I don't even know if some of these count as predictions. Maybe they're just random thoughts.

@ Browns -- This is a win just because the Steelers own these guys.

vs. Bills -- Home opener and the Bills' best player is a running back. Not good for the Bills. Steelers win.

vs. 49ers -- Big test for a young team looking to make a move. I don't like the Niners on the road. PGH win.

@ Cardinals -- Very intriguing game. Steelers could lose if secondary gets burned by ARZ's talented WRs and Ben tries to do too much. I can't imagine the Steelers go unbeaten into the bye week so they almost have to lose one of these two games.

vs. Seahawks -- Not too sure about these guys but I'm glad the game is in PGH. If PGH beats the Cards, my law of averages says the team has to drop this one.

Bye Week

@ Broncos -- Should be a tough, tough game. I may go to Denver for this one. Holla if ya live there. Should be interesting to see what the Donkeys do to offset the loss of Darrent Williams. Don't throw to Champ's side in the red zone. Broncos are a tough home team but I think their defense lost a couple of guys. PGH could lose this one.

@ Bengals -- Win on the road but a split for the season.

vs. Ravens -- Gotta win one of these to contend for the AFC North. After last season, I don't know if it's possible. The defense could destroy the O line if it's shaky. If no McNair, Steelers win. McGahee scares me. Glad to see Thomas gone.

vs. Browns -- At some point the Browns have to beat the Steelers but I don't think this is the year.

@ Jets -- Don't know anything about them so I'll go homer and pick the Steelers. I don't think Thomas Jones can run on the defense.

vs. Dolphins -- The 'Phins should be in a full tailspin by this part of the season. Steelers win. Too bad Peezy doesn't get to come back "home."

vs. Bengals -- This one's a loss. Nothing scientific; I just feel a split.

@ Patriots -- Tom Brady, as much as I hate to write it, will destroy the Steelers' defense with passes to Stallworth and Moss. Pats win.

vs. Jaguars -- Who knows who the QB will be by the time this game rolls around. Jax is usually a tough game. The one thing the Steelers have going for them is playing at home on that horrible field. They could experience a two-game losing streak if they're not right. Tough game.

@ Rams -- Please, please, please win this one. I'll be at the game. I think Ben or Willie or both will have to have good games to get this one. Bulger is a really good QB and Torry Holt might be the best WR in the league. I could see PGH dropping this one on the fast track.

@ Ravens -- By my worst-case scenario, the Steelers have six losses. I hope that's not the case. If it is, and the boys drop this one, it'll be another long offseason. I'm praying for a season split but I'm not confident after last season's debacles. I will say this: If the Steelers have any pride, they'll've won the home game and would come into this one with a 10-5 record and it (hopefully) won't matter what happens.

That's enough insanity for today.
    "Almost all those politicians took money from Enron, and there they are holding hearings. That's like O.J. Simpson getting in the Rae Carruth jury pool." -- Charles Barkley
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Everybody knows Rothliesberger Blows.

E-A-G-L-E-S!
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    Everybody knows Rothliesberger Blows.

E-A-G-L-E-S!
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I'm excited for the Mike Tomlin era... I was tired of Cowher.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Nice going PJSaluki! I think you covered it all, except maybe that the Steelers signed our boy Lawrence Timmons earlier in the week. He seems to be a great fit for a defensive tradition that just keeps getting better.

We love watching the Steelers here in Tallahassee. Like many places, there's a fan club that meets every Sunday for games. Too bad they're not playing within a short driving distance of us this year.

Can't wait for the return of football season. Here we go Steelers!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    Is Cowher working for any networks this year? I thought I remembered hearing he was thinking about it
  • inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    PJ_Saluki wrote:
    Training camp has opened and the team's gotten through it's first set of two-a-days. The PPG talked about how physical the morning session was. There is definitely a new sheriff in town.

I like what I've seen and heard out of Tomlin. Now he just has to convince a veteran-laden team that he knows what the hell he's doing. If Ben and Hines are behind him, I think he'll have some instant credibility. Hopefully Faneca won't be a distraction, but he seems too professional to act a fool.

Ben would really have to stink to play as poorly as he did in 2006. He passed for his best-ever yardage mark in 2006 but he also doubled his career interception mark on his way to leading the league. Injuries and a poor performance from the offensive line hurt him. Maybe a new offensive coordinator will help Ben's growth as a QB. Arians has said he wants Ben doing more, not less, play-calling.

The O-line looks to have at least one hole with Hartings' retirement. Dunno if I'm sold on Okobi or Mahan. Should be interesting to see how the line reacts to Ben making blocking calls under center. Just clear some wholes for Willie.

Dunno if I see Willie getting more than last season's 1,400-plus yards. He'd have a 200-yard game and then two games in which he couldn't break 75 yards. I'd like to see a more consistent performance out of him though I think Willie is the least of our worries.

LeBeau sticking around should help the transition from 3-4 to 4-3 defenses. Extending Troy's deal was very nice. Losing Peezy could hurt but if Harrison can hit RBs as hard as he body slammed that moronic Browns fan a couple of years ago, that side of the D should be fine.

As it usually does, this season's defense will be defined by it's ability, or lack thereof, to stop the passing game. Ike Taylor is supposedly outta the dog house and the coaches have talked-up McFadden.

And then there's special teams. I was always surprised at how poor PGH's STs played under Cowher. I've read that one reason Tomlin is running two-a-days is to focus on that unit. Just keep Coclough off punt return, please.

Bold prediction time: Worst the Steelers will finish is 10-6. That record takes into account a Ravens sweep and a sweep of the Browns. If PGH can split w/the Ravens, I think they can win the division. I love the NFC West schedule right now. Hopefully I'll still love it in Dec.

Going out to Denver for the late-October game. Anybody else going to be there?

nice write up...

Personally, I don't know much about tomlin...so I'm interested in seeing how he does...

I think Ben has A LOT of pressure on him this year...Tomlin has no vested interest in him, he didn't draft him, so he could yank him without remorse...

I truly hope Special Teams will do better this year, heck, how can the not...

Does anyone know who the second RB will be...While Willie is doing great, he kinda on the small side...
    inmytree wrote:
    nice write up...

Personally, I don't know much about tomlin...so I'm interested in seeing how he does...

I think Ben has A LOT of pressure on him this year...Tomlin has no vested interest in him, he didn't draft him, so he could yank him without remorse...

I truly hope Special Teams will do better this year, heck, how can the not...

Does anyone know who the second RB will be...While Willie is doing great, he kinda on the small side...

Here's a good article on Tomlin and how he got his coaching start:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07204/803739-66.stm
    He seems like a meticulous planner and a very energized and charismatic person.

Ben has a lot of pressure this year, but the good thing is he is going into camp fresh and in great shape (last year had the motorcycle accident and appendectomy). He has no excuses to fall back on, so it's all on him.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    you guys need your eyes checked

it's no where near Gold

Black and Yellow

the 49ers wear Gold
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
    inmytree wrote:

They got Kevan Barlow in the offseason. Najeh Davenport will probably be back and Verron Haynes factors in there somewhere, too.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    They got Kevan Barlow in the offseason. Najeh Davenport will probably be back and Verron Haynes factors in there somewhere, too.

So pretty much, they've got no running game after Willie.
    bostonlou wrote:
    the 49ers wear Gold

So do the Penguins
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    PJSerf wrote:
    So pretty much, they've got no running game after Willie.

If he runs for 1400+ yards in a season, do you need anything more than a third down/short yardage back and a FB/larger RB to block for him?

I can think of several teams who'd be proud to have Willie Parker running behind a similarly experienced O-Line, and "no running game after Willie".

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    If he runs for 1400+ yards in a season, do you need anything more than a third down/short yardage back and a FB/larger RB to block for him?

I can think of several teams who'd be proud to have Willie Parker running behind a similarly experienced O-Line, and "no running game after Willie".

Apparently having one Pro Bowl running back on your team isn't enough.

"The San Diego Chargers have no running game after Tomlinson."
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    "The San Diego charges have no running game after Tomlinson."

Good one! I can do it, too! :D

The Yankees are a pretty good club, but they have no offensive power after A-Rod.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
  • bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    rhinomagic wrote:

the Patriots have no QB besides SuperSperm Brady
    Don't Believe Everything You Think

You never know. Willie might try riding a motorcycle without his helmet a la Big Ben. How'd that work out for ya last year?
  • timrothtimroth Posts: 215
    WHO-DEY!

I read somewhere yesterday (Peter King i think) that said the Steelers would be playing for 3rd place in the AFC North.

Someone else on NFL.com predicted the Bengals to win the AFCN.
  • suntzu98suntzu98 Posts: 100
    E A G L E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any self respecting Pennsylvanian is a true fan of football is watching the E A G L E S!
    Philly '98 '00 (1 & 2) '03 '06 (1 & 2) '08 (1 & 2)
    East Rutherford '98
    Merriweather '98
    Gorge '05
    Vancouver '05
    Los Angeles I,II '06
    Santa Barbara '06
    Fonda Theater '06
    suntzu98 wrote:
    E A G L E S !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any self respecting Pennsylvanian is a true fan of football is watching the E A G L E S!

Are all Eagles' fans incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence?

Even the title of your team's thread on this board is called the "2007 eddition".

Maybe you like Eagles football because you don't have to think too much to enjoy it?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Are all Eagles' fans incapable of stringing together a coherent sentence?

Even the title of your team's thread on this board is called the "2007 eddition".

Maybe you like Eagles football because you don't have to think too much to enjoy it?

Eagles' fans may not be the most intelligent people, I'll give you that. Even I get annoyed at E-A-G-L-E-S chants popping up everywhere. But we do have one distinct trait over Steelers fans. Our houses can't attach to our pickup trucks, and be moved at the drop of a hat.
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    My hope is that Tomlin works these guys so hard in training camp that by the time December rolls around they're exhausted. There has definately been a changing of the guard in the division, and for the first time in a long time as a Ravens fan, I'm more concerned about Cincinatti giving us fits. I hate the Steelers a little less since they got rid of Porter. Hines Ward is getting old, the secondary isn't very good except for Polamalu, Faneca is crying about money, and Roethlisberger is going in the wrong direction. I can see the Steelers winning 8 games, missing the playoffs obviously, and finishing third in the North.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • suntzu98suntzu98 Posts: 100
    Eagle fans are very passionate about their football team, now you say incoherent thoughts and sentences I believe you are referring to Raider fans.
    Philly '98 '00 (1 & 2) '03 '06 (1 & 2) '08 (1 & 2)
    East Rutherford '98
    Merriweather '98
    Gorge '05
    Vancouver '05
    Los Angeles I,II '06
    Santa Barbara '06
    Fonda Theater '06
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,412

Do they need one?
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,412
    this is what I think of the steelers...lmfao....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gabekeller/94130841/in/photostream/
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    This one always makes me smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGSr2ZaWa9k
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    I enjoy this image:

http://steelers.vindy.com/mainphoto/mainphoto.jpg

Of course, there are four more of those in a trophy case at Heinz Field.
    Training camp has been pretty interesting, from what I've been reading.

Hines and the other WRs were getting chippy with hard-hitting DBs.

Ben didn't throw his first T.C. INT until Wednesday.

Not a peep outta Faneca.

Timmons' injury is frustrating b/c I'd like to see what he can do. He's falling behind and guys are getting pissed.

If Willie has knee problems all season, the team is screwed. Davenport and Haynes and whomever else they'll trot out there are nowhere near the back Willie is.

Steelers practice field dedicated to the maestro, Chuck Knoll.

Troy's contract a great first step to him retiring as a Steeler...but he'll be up for another in a few years. That's probably when he goes somewhere else.

Reed should be healthy this season, which will help out the WR corps. He, Holmes, Hines and Wilson will look pretty good when they're lined up in a four-WR set.

Miller caught a nice fade in a seven-on-seven this week.

Oh, BTW, screw the Ratbirds and Bungholes!
  • John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 259
    Wow, I've never seen the term "Ratbirds" before. Pretty original!