Recommend a beer we may not have discovered

Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Judging by the amount of booze related threads on the board, it's pretty obvious there's a few folk on here that enjoy the occasional beer.
I'm always up for trying new beers and discovering new tastes. Can anyone recommend a brew that may have escaped our attention? Try and keep it to a brand that is widely available in your country or abroad. No point recommending the local micro-breweries 9% ABV brain fu*ker, as we're not all gonna' get a chance to try it! I'll get the ball rolling with a few beers that I know are exported worldwide.

Batemans - "Combined Harvest". A multigrain beer, light in colour but strong on taste. 4.7% ABV and usually sold in 500ml bottles. Can be found on hand pump in the UK.

Dragon Stout - A Jamaican stout brewed by the people who make "Red Stripe". At 7.5% ABV this is one to take in moderation, comes in small bottles of approx. 275ml and best served ice cold!

Timothy Taylor - "Landlord" . A light 4.1% ABV beer available in 500ml bottles or on draught. A beer you can drink all night without too much trouble. Widely available throughout the UK and Europe, I've found this beer in a supermarket in Utrecht (Holland) and a bar in Thessalonika (Greece).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    Pyramid Snow Cap Ale. Strong seasonal ale....high alcohol content (7%+).

Pyramid Thunderhead IPA. If you want something BOLD, huge and hoppy...about 7%abv.

Pike Brewery Naughty Nellie's Ale. Love this one!
  • Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Euphoria Ale.

*woops* Sorry. It's not *that* available....mostly just North East US....but it's yum and fun.
  • red stripe...jamaican lager.....smoooth
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Sea Dog from Maine.

If you feel like a flavored beer, their raspberry wheat and blueberry ales are the best.

damn I went to a couple beer tasting parties last year and I can't remember any of the cool beers I tried.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Left Hand Breweries out of Colorado, they make something called Milk Stout which is awesome!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Dogfish Head..... 60 Minute India Pale Ale.

Terrapin Rye Pale Ale

Left Hand Milk Stout. - wow great pallets think alike.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I like me some Tsingtao every once in a while

And Harp Lager is some good stuff, too.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout.....nice :cool:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • I was in Maine a couple months ago, and theres some great beer from a company called Peak Organic.

http://www.peakbrewing.com
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Ubu Ale. LP, NY, USA
    I love to turn you on
  • civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    Waterloo Dark, from The Brick Brewery (Waterloo, ON.)

Coffee Porter, from Mill St. Brewery (Toronto, ON.)

so much more than just a breakfast drink.... :p
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    Made by the same people that brought you "Fat Tire"
    It's called Mothership Wit and it is AMAZING!
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    pjtaper wrote:
    I believe it is the first USDA Certified Organic beer as well. Not that I care but pretty cool nonetheless. yes, the beer is amazing.

tip my hat to the Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout mention. in my top 5 of all time and has been for years.
  • It's made by the one of the big guys of the beer industry (AB) but as it turns out, that's a good thing for me. It's called RedBridge and it's a barley/wheat free beer made from Sorghum. It's not bad and if one has Celiac Disease, it's one of the only beers one can enjoy.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    tybird wrote:

YES!!!!
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    silent t wrote:
    It's made by the one of the big guys of the beer industry (AB) but as it turns out, that's a good thing for me. It's called RedBridge and it's a barley/wheat free beer made from Sorghum. It's not bad and if one has Celiac Disease, it's one of the only beers one can enjoy.

Nice!

My girlfriend (Jamainiac here on the board) has Celiac. We've enjoyed many Redbridges. The best Gluten Free beer I've had!
  • Sea Dog from Maine.

If you feel like a flavored beer, their raspberry wheat and blueberry ales are the best.

damn I went to a couple beer tasting parties last year and I can't remember any of the cool beers I tried.

Sea Dog is a very good beer. I actually lived about 15 miles from the brewery and pub.

Paulaner - German Beer would be my pick. Best I've tasted and I've tasted a few in my days ;-)
    Hail, hail the lucky ones, i refer to those in love.

Still Looking for the above

15 shows and counting...
  • tybird wrote:

Any of the Sam Smith's beers are fine with me. If you're ever in London there's a Samuel Smiths pub just off Trafalgar Square, on the Charing Cross Road corner, called the Chandos. You can still get a pint of Old Brewery bitter for about £2, which is unheard of in a central London pub. Many moons ago they did the Oatmeal Stout on draught, not sure if it's available now?
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,152
    sennin wrote:
    Pike Brewery Naughty Nellie's Ale. Love this one!

Yes I love Pike beers Naughty Nellie's is great .......their IPA is also very good!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • pjtaper wrote:

Thier 1554 black ale is one of my favorites. I've been drinking alot of Blue Moon Belguim Style Wheat Ale lately.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    For those who are willing to try the best in complex flavor and darkness, try the Old Rasputin Imperial Stout. Watch out though, it is 9% alcohol.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/north-coast-old-rasputin-russian-imperial-stout/680/

You can check on availability at this site too.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Battlefield Black
    Made by Redoak Brew Pub Greensboro NC
    It has been years since i was able to get my hands around a pint of this beer but i remember loving it. A nice stout that is not as thick as guiness making it easier to enjoy more of them and lots of good flavors. Sadly not distributed widely.

3 Philosophers
    Made by Ommegang Cooperstown NY
    This is catching on over the past year or so. I've seen it in a few bars and at my local package store. A high gravity beer (9.6%) with a great taste. Also of note i've tried two other beers from Ommegang and they have both been Great too, but 3 Philosphers is still my fav.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Pete's Wicked Ale and Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    intodeep wrote:
    3 Philosophers
    Made by Ommegang Cooperstown NY
    This is catching on over the past year or so. I've seen it in a few bars and at my local package store. A high gravity beer (9.6%) with a great taste. Also of note i've tried two other beers from Ommegang and they have both been Great too, but 3 Philosphers is still my fav.

I second that. I discovered this stuff at a bar in NYC called the Dead Poet and have since found it at some local beer distributors. Watch out, it'll mess you up, especially when you drink three bottles of it!
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    Like I said yesterday, I like Belgian Ales:
    Chimay Grand Reserve
    Abbay Triple Brune
    Kwak
    Geuze Boone (it's a lambic and pretty sour)

Also, I tried the Boonville Oatmeal Stout recently and liked it.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    I like me some Tsingtao every once in a while

And Harp Lager is some good stuff, too.

tsingtao is delicious and refreshing. I can't pronounce it though, so I have trouble ordering it :).
  • Thier 1554 black ale is one of my favorites. I've been drinking alot of Blue Moon Belguim Style Wheat Ale lately.

blue moon is made by coors.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Brooklyn Pennant Ale 55.

Sweetwater Happy Ending Imperial Porter.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I used to love the beers brewed by Iron Hill Brewery. They are all in house made beers. I don't think they are sold anywhere else.

http://www.ironhillbrewery.com/

I used to live down the street from the West Chester one.. yum!