Options

Running to PJ

SamSam Posts: 45
edited January 2008 in The Porch
As I was enjoying my run this morning while listening to PJ at the Gorge 9/1/05 I started wondering what other Pearl Jammers listen to while they run or otherwise exercise to...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Sam wrote:
    As I was enjoying my run this morning while listening to PJ at the Gorge 9/1/05 I started wondering what other Pearl Jammers listen to while they run or otherwise exercise to...
    i listen to my girlfriend say....

"GET YOUR FAT ASS TO WORK"

every morning as i RUN out the door...................
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I devote my blog to PJ and running giventorun.blogspot.com. My favorite PJ running songs are:

undone
    Given to fly
    alone
    Dirty Frank
    In My Tree
    Push Me Pull Me
    Red Mosquito

I had an INCREDIBLE runner's high during Once, once. I usually get runner's high during Given to Fly, but this was surreal, like out of body experience fantastic. It was great! In my Tree consistently gives runner's highs, too.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I lift every morning and listen to Alive, E Flow, Animal, State of love and trust, and anytime i run my favorite is Rearviewmirror. I always run as fast as i can during the verse when Ed sings, "i gather speed from you Fucking with me." Brain of J is another good uptempo PJ song for running.
  • Options
    FunkdogFunkdog Posts: 85
    I have a little more than 300 songs on my workout tunes playlist on my ipod, and about 30 songs are PJ songs. In fact yesterday I started my workout with WMA since I start my routine on a treadmill. I love workin out to Blood, that song gets me all wound up! I just need to stay true to my workouts, been to the gym 10 days in a row, and 16 days total this year so far! Gotta lose weight, and plan to stick to work out regiment, wish me luck.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure" - H.J.S.

"I have come here to chew bubble-gum, and kick ass! And I'm all out of bubble-gum!" R.P.
  • Options
    Vs. or Binaural. Especially Insignificance through Grievance.
  • Options
    i listen mainly to RAGE, AIC, and NIN when im excercising... gets me real pumped up... but if i had to choose out of PJ itd be vitalogy
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    been listening to the 2006 tour...mostly Australia shows... also ITW is a great run.... it is about 33 minutes long... you can hear it start to finish and have a real good workout.
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    Well I row for crew and when it's my turn to choose the music for our erg sessions i always choose pearl jam. I do only live stuff; RITFW, dirty frank, even flow always gets people going, porch, lukin(!), severed hand, red mosquito and others.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Rockin in the free world was an awesome experience, i just got into the best rythm. Also Corduroy(Live) given to fly, and DTE. But I like the Live versions form the last tour. They just sound better to me.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    blood and evenflow live is phun
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    Right Said Fred's "Too Sexy" is what gets me pumped up for a serious workout...
    "Smokey, this is not Nam, this is bowling. There are rules. If you mark that frame an 8 you are entering a world of pain."
  • Options
    Right Said Fred's "Too Sexy" is what gets me pumped up for a serious workout...

Wow!! How true is that? Luv that song. I run 3 miles a day to only 3 songs Smashing Pumpkin's United Stated, Trivium's The Crusade, and Nirvana's Breed.
    I listen to PJ for everything else.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    I'm a pretty active runner; just finished my first half-marathon, and I'll be doing a 10K this weekend.

I have a ton of PJ songs on my running playlist, including:

Rearviewmirror (far and away the best song for running, imho)
    Given to Fly
    In Hiding
    Life Wasted
    Alive
    Glorified G
    Leash
    Evenflow
    Comatose
    Breakerfall
    Save You
    Down
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    I rotate through all the studio albums when I exercise. Favorites right now are Avocado and Vs.

When I used to run years ago my favorite was Ministry "Land of Rape and Honey" - fast, fast, fast - and Rage.
    Nothing divine dies. All good is eternally reproductive. The beauty of nature reforms itself in the mind, and not for barren contemplation, but for new creation. ~ Nature, Emerson
  • Options
    Cool Thread!! I always have a ton of pj for my run, blood, whipping, save you, porch, american in me, lukin, spin the black circle, rifw, EVOLUTION, it goes on and on!!! Great music to get you going. My class likes it too!!
    OBAMA BABY
  • Options
    Sam wrote:

Sam, hey hey.

Well just for fun, I listen to alot of pj, but I have alist of serious up songs in combination with some soundgarden and audioslave that works real well for anything sweaty.
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • Options
    when I make excersises ,when I do the house work, when I go to sleep ,etc .I listen pearl jam all the time!!
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    gtf and marker are both great for running to, good up tempo stuff with a melody, and of course RVM - thats a treat..

as for other artists, stuff like Rancid works for me, fast paced short blasts - nothing that goes on too long unless of course its rage......
  • Options
    RayneRayne Posts: 99
    Mexico City boot is the BEST to run to...
    Underneath this smile lies everything...How I choose to feel, is how I AM!
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I listen to Pearl Jam a lot when I run. I love GTF. Lukin is a great too. Other than PJ I run to Badmotorfinger a lot and The Ramones.
  • Options
    Oh god allllllllll the time! nothing better than running or riding off road to songs like Spin the Black Circle or Go :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 19
    for my cardio workout before lifting I throw down the first half of Avocado with parachutes for my cool down... sick!
    Sorry... i got nothing witty to say in the time allotted to me.

• Options
    I'd like to go running today, but it's colder than 30 degrees. Any suggestions? I don't have a treadmill where I'm at.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    I run 7-10 miles a day. Used to have a very varied play list but i found my self just waiting for the PJ songs to get that extra energy, so i made a mostly PJ list....

Evenflow (greatest hits version)
    State of love and trust (greatest hits version)
    Go
    Animal
    RVM - best running song
    I used to have glorified g but i ended up hating it for running
    last exit
    satans bed
    corduroy
    hail hail
    brain of j
    given to fly
    mfc
    DTE
    get right
    save you
    green disease
    breakerfall
    insignificance
    greivence
    life wasted
    wws
    comatose
    severed hand
    big wave
    unemployable
    breath
    alone

I will add blood based on other peoples recomendation from this thread.
    The other best band i find for running is Thursday. Check out the songs- Understanding in a car crash, cross out the I's, paris in flames, for the workforce drowning, counting 5-4-3-2-1.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    I run 7-10 miles a day. Used to have a very varied play list but i found my self just waiting for the PJ songs to get that extra energy, so i made a mostly PJ list....

Evenflow (greatest hits version)
    State of love and trust (greatest hits version)
    Go
    Animal
    RVM - best running song
    I used to have glorified g but i ended up hating it for running
    last exit
    satans bed
    corduroy
    hail hail
    brain of j
    given to fly
    mfc
    DTE
    get right
    save you
    green disease
    breakerfall
    insignificance
    greivence
    life wasted
    wws
    comatose
    severed hand
    big wave
    unemployable
    breath
    alone

I will add blood based on other peoples recomendation from this thread.
    The other best band i find for running is Thursday. Check out the songs- Understanding in a car crash, cross out the I's, paris in flames, for the workforce drowning, counting 5-4-3-2-1.
    Looks like you are on the east coast. Are you running outside today?
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I've found that Vitalogy is a nice soundtrack for a jog around the neighborhood.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I'd like to go running today, but it's colder than 30 degrees. Any suggestions? I don't have a treadmill where I'm at.

I love running in the cold...of course, it never gets THAT cold here.

The key to running in the cold is a beanie and GLOVES. Most of the rest of your body will warm up with the activity of running, but hands and ears generally don't. Those two items will help keep you from feeling miserable.

In terms of the rest, try a nice pair of running tights (I forget what they're called...they have a specific name, though) under shorts or pants, and a zip-up windbreaker and/or fleece jacket over your typical running shirt.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    I find there's nothing like that burst of energy you get from the 2nd half of Alive during a run....it just feels like the guitars and drums are pushing you when the solo kicks in, and before you know it when you know the 'Yeahs' are coming in, you stomp a little harder down on the floor during those parts. (thus catching more speed)

At least for me it works like that. :)
  • Options
    SamSam Posts: 45
    Hey everyone - Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!
  • Options
    The key to running in the cold is a beanie and GLOVES. Most of the rest of your body will warm up with the activity of running, but hands and ears generally don't. Those two items will help keep you from feeling miserable.

In terms of the rest, try a nice pair of running tights (I forget what they're called...they have a specific name, though) under shorts or pants, and a zip-up windbreaker and/or fleece jacket over your typical running shirt.
    Yep, my older sister gave me running gloves about 2 years ago, and today was the first time I wore them. It was great, those puppies work! 3 miles in the cold. It was a sunny day so that was good. I had so many layers on it didn't seem that cold except when I had to gingerly run across the crunchy old snow with a little wind blowing around. Your suggestions worked :) As did Once and In My Tree.