Happy New Year (How are you bringing it in?)

pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Happy New Year everybody I hope 2008 is good to you and all of your family and friends.

I am about 9 hours away from New years and about to set off for my adventure for the night and was wondering what Pearl Jammers around the world are doing to bring it in.

I am going to Bondi Beach to a concert called Shore Thing with Sneeky Sound System and Groove Aremarda. i'm not really looking forward to it cause it isn't quite my scene but i'm sure i will have fun.

Take care and Good luck.
Sydney 11/02/2003
Sydney 14/02/2003
Sydney 07/11/2006
Sydney 18/11/2006
Sydney 22/11/2009
EV Sydney 18/03/2011
EV Sydney 19/03/2011
EV Sydney 20/03/2011
Melbourne 24/01/2014
Sydney 26/01/2014
EV Sydney 13/02/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    At this rate, if the mercury in Melbourne doesn't drop significantly in the next few hours I'll be foregoing my annual pilgramage to the hill at the top of the street to watch the fireworks over the city in preference to sitting home and watching the Harbour Bridge fireworks on the tele underneath the aircon!!! :D

Either option will include many cans of Bundy and coke. :D

You have a great night at Groove Armarda/Sneaky Sound System and be safe! :)

Happy New Year. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • PapPap Posts: 28,751
    I raise a glass to you and yours for 2016! Cheers! :innocent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7t9oHL7niI
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • PapPap Posts: 28,751
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • This is going to be the second NYE in a row that I am not doing anything. Went about 15 or so NYE's with a party to go to.
    My best bud is away with his girl for the second year in a row.
    I don't have many friends, those that I do I hardly see or hear from as they all have their girlfriend's and other friends. Others I used to spend NYE with I have dropped because of their selfishness.
    Do I care that I am alone on NYE like a loser? Kind of. Years ago I'd be devastated. 
    But I need to be up early in the morning as it is my dad's 70th birthday and need to feed my best buds cat while he's away plus need to do other stuff for my dad's birthday. Might listen to some Pink Floyd or read a book on the couch.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    "Loser" is subjective; perspective is (most) everything.

My goodness, the pressure people put on themselves to make it a to-do.

Aside from the fact that I haven't been awake till near midnight in ages, I don't feel the need to DO something big or bold, and frankly, I can do without loud strangers and huge crowds.  Just dig the time however suits you - great meal, stellar music, take stock of the past twelve months or even only the past few hours if so inclined.  Light some candles, stargaze, play with your partner or pet if you have one.  And if not, be your own company...sometimes that is such a gift - to yourself.

Plus, too many drunk dipshits on the roads.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    I’m on my way to work now and also tomorrow :( 
    Happy new year to you all !!!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited December 2017
    hedonist said:

Aside from the fact that I haven't been awake till near midnight in ages, I don't feel the need to DO something big or bold, and frankly, I can do without loud strangers and huge crowds.  Just dig the time however suits you - great meal, stellar music, take stock of the past twelve months or even only the past few hours if so inclined.  Light some candles, stargaze, play with your partner or pet if you have one.  And if not, be your own company...sometimes that is such a gift - to yourself.

I am single. No pet.
    It's just me, myself, and I.
    My parents don't count as they're in bed early most nights.
    I have never been a fan of big crowds and drunks.
    I've always done something like a house party. 
    Also, I struggle staying up past midnight these days. Getting older.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    edited December 2017
    Annafalk said:
    Happy new year, Anna.
    Hope your shifts at work are not stressful.
  • hedonist said:

This
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Fuck NYE . Same day same shit.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Posts: 4,004
    Annafalk said:
    Happy new year, Anna.
    Hope your shifts at work are not stressful.

Thank you and Happy new year to you !!! I'm "here" now so it's calm my co-workers were just walking by wondering what I was writing :)
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Happy New Year!
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,761
    same thing i do every new years eve.... try and take over the world!

or just hang with some friends :tongue:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Millions wasted on fireworks by city councils in Australia when so many sleep on the streets every night.
    Glad they have their priorities right.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,097
    Happy New Years workers!!..i was working too..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited January 2018
    This is going to be the second NYE in a row that I am not doing anything. Went about 15 or so NYE's with a party to go to.
    I don't have many friends, those that I do I hardly see or hear from as they all have their girlfriend's and other friends. Others I used to spend NYE with I have dropped because of their selfishness.
    Do I care that I am alone on NYE like a loser? Kind of. Years ago I'd be devastated. 
    But I need to be up early in the morning as it is my dad's 70th birthday and need to feed my best buds cat while he's away plus need to do other stuff for my dad's birthday. Might listen to some Pink Floyd or read a book on the couch.
    I've gotta take exception to you labeling someone who does nothing for NYE a loser, lol. I haven't done anything for NYE for years now. I choose to just stay home, watch movies, have a few drinks alone, and some weed, because I am just so fucking sick of people by the time Dec 31st rolls around. :lol: I spend all the time leading up to Christmas with people constantly. It's my mom's bday right before xmas, and then getting together with various friends before xmas, and then a big thing with my best friend's family on xmas eve, then my family on xmas, and then social shit after xmas too.... OMG, enough already!!!! After the Christmas season I am tempted to just go off the grid altogether and go live in the middle of nowhere for a few years, hahaha. Spending NYE home alone is an absolute TREAT for me, and I turn down invites from people to do it. And frankly, even when I did go out, way back when, I never really knew why. I don't give a shit that a new year is starting - it's just an arbitrary number on a calendar to me, and I'm not clear on wtf I'm supposed to be celebrating on NYE. Is it that people are happy the year is over?? If so, that's kind of sad. Is it they are so excited a new year is beginning? If so, why? I mean, okay, I can understand having hope for a good future, but that doesn't seem to call for yelling and cheering and shit. Are they just doing it because it's what people do? Yeah, I think that's more like it for most people. I have trouble getting excited just because I'm supposed to because everyone else is doing it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Posts: 1,716
    I've decided I'm staying in next year. And all I did was step outside to our annual block party. It was fun, but not worth the fallout afterwards. I'm starting to realize that about most things...just not worth the hassle. 
    Half of our block, including my entire household, turned into complete toddlers. It sucked the fun out of the whole night. Trash everywhere, kids trying to get at the spiked punch, people getting over drunk, etc. One idiot thought he could touch fire with his bare hand. I got the last drunk in at 5, only to walk into more toddler bullsh**. Totally ruined all the fun I somehow managed to have earlier. Next year, I plan on being sound asleep well before midnight. 
  • PJ_Soul said:
    This is going to be the second NYE in a row that I am not doing anything. Went about 15 or so NYE's with a party to go to.
    I've gotta take exception to you labeling someone who does nothing for NYE a loser, lol. I haven't done anything for NYE for years now. I choose to just stay home, watch movies, have a few drinks alone, and some weed, because I am just so fucking sick of people by the time Dec 31st rolls around. :lol: I spend all the time leading up to Christmas with people constantly. It's my mom's bday right before xmas, and then getting together with various friends before xmas, and then a big thing with my best friend's family on xmas eve, then my family on xmas, and then social shit after xmas too.... OMG, enough already!!!! After the Christmas season I am tempted to just go off the grid altogether and go live in the middle of nowhere for a few years, hahaha. Spending NYE home alone is an absolute TREAT for me, and I turn down invites from people to do it. And frankly, even when I did go out, way back when, I never really knew why. I don't give a shit that a new year is starting - it's just an arbitrary number on a calendar to me, and I'm not clear on wtf I'm supposed to be celebrating on NYE. Is it that people are happy the year is over?? If so, that's kind of sad. Is it they are so excited a new year is beginning? If so, why? I mean, okay, I can understand having hope for a good future, but that doesn't seem to call for yelling and cheering and shit. Are they just doing it because it's what people do? Yeah, I think that's more like it for most people. I have trouble getting excited just because I'm supposed to because everyone else is doing it.
    Sorry for any offense caused.
    It's just how I feel about myself.
    I wish I had the 'problem' of receiving invites from friends but a loser has not many friends if any.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wish I had the 'problem' of receiving invites from friends but a loser has not many friends if any.
    The number of friends or invites does not define a person or their character.

I wonder if social media contributes to this unreasonable mindset of supposed worthiness (so many likes! - so many friends!) or if it's on the person's view of themselves.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited January 2018
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I wonder if social media contributes to this unreasonable mindset of supposed worthiness (so many likes! - so many friends!) or if it's on the person's view of themselves.
    It sure doesn't help! I happened to have seen this daily news segment a doctor does this morning (Dr. Art Hister), and he was talking about exactly this. That stress levels, anxiety, and depression are getting worse and worse among younger people largely because the expectations they place on themselves and their "status" in the eyes of society are being exaggerated and complicated by the influence of social media. As everyone usually only share their best selves, and in a way that is almost competitive (i.e. look at how much fun I'm having with all my awesome friends, and look how great I look and look at all the amazing things I do, and look how happy we all are!). This is a completely filtered and edited and usually exaggerated and even completely false representation of how people are living and feeling, but it has a real negative effect on people and how they view themselves. It sucks.
    (PS - no offense taken Thoughts Arrive)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    edited January 2018
    I've decided I'm staying in next year. And all I did was step outside to our annual block party. It was fun, but not worth the fallout afterwards. I'm starting to realize that about most things...just not worth the hassle. 
    Half of our block, including my entire household, turned into complete toddlers. It sucked the fun out of the whole night. Trash everywhere, kids trying to get at the spiked punch, people getting over drunk, etc. One idiot thought he could touch fire with his bare hand. I got the last drunk in at 5, only to walk into more toddler bullsh**. Totally ruined all the fun I somehow managed to have earlier. Next year, I plan on being sound asleep well before midnight. 
    I think I saw a picture of this somewhere. That guy is incredibly stupid and got what was coming to him.

As for the rest of your post, welcome to curmudgeon corner, sister. There's plenty of room at the clubhouse, but remember to stay the fuck away from others.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:

It sure doesn't help! I happened to have seen this daily news segment a doctor does this morning (Dr. Art Hister), and he was talking about exactly this. That stress levels, anxiety, and depression are getting worse and worse among younger people largely because the expectations they place on themselves and their "status" in the eyes of society are being exaggerated and complicated by the influence of social media. As everyone usually only share their best selves, and in a way that is almost competitive (i.e. look at how much fun I'm having with all my awesome friends, and look how great I look and look at all the amazing things I do, and look how happy we all are!). This is a completely filtered and edited and usually exaggerated and even completely false representation of how people are living and feeling, but it has a real negative effect on people and how they view themselves. It sucks.
    (PS - no offense taken Thoughts Arrive)
    If one chooses to stay in does not make one a loser in my eyes. If I want to do something but have no friends then that is what makes me feel like a loser. My mum and sister have and still keep commenting how I don't have many friends. I have come to accept and become comfortable with being a loser.
  • hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:

One of the reasons why I deactivated my Facebook account recently.