Options

Has anyone here been on stage?

Comments

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Maybe that's why you have such a good, confident sounding voice when you sing! :o
    He is awesome, isn't he?
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    ive sung on stage, ive played guitar on stage, ive acted in plays and ive been the loudmouth spokesperson at nearly every meeting ive ever been at -

of course you get nervous beforehand, but once your there its like your in your own little world, and everything else just zones out.

strange for me tho - looking at astrology, im cancer, and supposed to be shy and retiring, and always in my shell. In some ways i am, but in others i practically carry a permanent soapbox to leap onto.
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    I was on stage for the Boston City Wide 5th grade spelling bee.

I also was in front of 15,000+ people on the floor of the Boston Garden at a Celtics game. I was selected to shoot a 3 pointer after the first quarter for a chance at 7G. And a second chance at 70G more.

I missed. :(
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    He is awesome, isn't he?

:)
  • Options
    I play in a wind orchestra (brass band kinda) so I've been on stage, but not alone. :)
    I did some recitals in elementary school and I used to dance when I was a kid. So that was another group...
    I used to sing in church too, and had a few solos.
    I had a solo with my band few years ago, thats when I had to stand up and
    play my part by myself and everyone clapped and cheered :o
    I guess thats one of my favorite moments, at least the recent one I remember.
    The one I also remember, and dont want it to happen again, was
    when we played at our annual Holiday concert and I started choking: somthing was in my throat and I had teary eyes all of the sudded cause I couldnt breathe, started caughing... :eek:And I play the flute.
    Terrible, terrbile feeling, and I had to be quiet but couldnt...man, I hope
    that never happens again, haha
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    I play in a wind orchestra (brass band kinda) so I've been on stage, but not alone. :)
    I did some recitals in elementary school and I used to dance when I was a kid. So that was another group...
    I used to sing in church too, and had a few solos.
    I had a solo with my band few years ago, thats when I had to stand up and
    play my part by myself and everyone clapped and cheered :o
    I guess thats one of my favorite moments, at least the recent one I remember.
    The one I also remember, and dont want it to happen again, was
    when we played at our annual Holiday concert and I started choking: somthing was in my throat and I had teary eyes all of the sudded cause I couldnt breathe, started caughing... :eek:And I play the flute.
    Terrible, terrbile feeling, and I had to be quiet but couldnt...man, I hope
    that never happens again, haha

Wow, Sid, I had no idea you were so talented! :D That is really cool! That is too bad about the Holiday concert, but at least you were okay!

Really cool about the wind orchestra though. :)
  • Options
    Wow, Sid, I had no idea you were so talented! :D That is really cool! That is too bad about the Holiday concert, but at least you were okay!

Really cool about the wind orchestra though. :)
    Haha, Im not really. I guess I just wanted to be involved in things...
    Always been like that :D

I wish I hadnt stopped doing recitals and some sort of plays, I kinda enjoy it. ;)
    But with the band is kinda cool.

Oh, and I did Karaoke on a real stage once :p
    "I surfaced and all of my being was enlightened"
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Haha, Im not really. I guess I just wanted to be involved in things...
    Always been like that :D

I wish I hadnt stopped doing recitals and some sort of plays, I kinda enjoy it. ;)
    But with the band is kinda cool.

Oh, and I did Karaoke on a real stage once :p

Cool! Alright, it is settled then, at the next pre-show party/meet-up you can perform for us! :D;)
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    gue_barium wrote:
    Did you take a high school drama class, or participate in community theater? College?

Anything like that...
    Church playes, grade school plays.
    I think everybody has done a little of that sometime in their lives.
    What part did you play?
    Did you enjoy it?
    How did the performance(s) go?

This is an unusual question. What's it about?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,579
    I was the poor man's wife in "that is why the sea is salt" in grade 3 or 4. I had wanted the role of the rich man's wife.

I've been in a couple play the last few years. Two musicals: one, the lead role, the other as Alice in a Wonderland knock off. My costume looked the woman dressing as a girl in V is for Vendetta, except Portman nailed the hair better with ponytails.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    I was on a stage last night under some lighting
    the audiance had candles and oil lamps on their tables.
    I read my poetry to a group of artists and other guests.
    I did a good job and sold a few copies.
    It was awesome.
    I am ready for that again.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    I love the theatre, but I rather prefer being in the audience. :)
    "When you're climbing to the top, you'd better know the way back down" MSB
  • Options
    i was a Drama Major at the Philadelphia High School For The Creative and Performing Arts (CAPA)
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    i was on the speech and debate team in middle school...i did solo acting and improv duo. it took me awhile to get the hang of it, but after a couple of competitions i made it to the finals for solo acting :) my monologue was about french fries...it was pretty amazing. sadly my family moved to florida the next year, and my high school didn't have a drama department. when we finally did, they only did musicals...which i wasn't interested in.

i've been on stage plenty of times with band...i played the flute for 8 years. and i did dance during football season in hs, so if a football field can be considered a stage then i was all over that!

and...i had a chance to sing on stage with singer/songwriter matt costa last year for a song...i was amazing if i do say so myself :D
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    I'm loving the response this thing is getting. Lots of talented entertainers here. Just as I suspected. :)

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    Gigging tonite at the Brittania Margate, 9 till i feel like stopping,
    getin paid with a crate of beer this time.

next gig new years eve at some swanky eaterie called number 6 in margate.

played the London Astoria in the grand final of the Emergenza music festival couple of years ago. yeah ive been on stage ;)
    www.myspace.com/rockmastergeneral

To break down borders and realise that we are one species and then the true patriotism comes from pride and love of the human race, not from the tribes of which we currently are divided, open your eyes your mind will see! - ME
  • Options
    I was like president of the drama club in high school. I was on stage all the time-plays, musicals, etc. I did one very serious play in college. After that I decided I never wanted to set foot in a theater again. I can't imagine being into that stuff anymore. the thought of musicals especially makes me want to barf.

hahaha I just remembered I was voted "most theatrical" in my high school year book...I was actually fairly talented for someone with no real training. but as is the case, the things I seem to be good at are the things I don't seem to enjoy.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I played with a Milwaukee Band, the heavyheads, for a few years, then I moved to Colorado... I found that if I didn't drink enough before I went on stage, I would have to throw up because I was so nervous every time... I usually ended up drinking so much I'd black out at every show, but I think it was entertaining for people to watch and I was told several times i played MUCH better when I was blacked out, which is strange as hell...
    (for the record, I can black out after 3 drinks, I don't drink much and I'm not a big dude)
  • Options
    Been onstage hundreds of times between plays and music. I will always prefer music to drama. There's an anergy there, a connection, that cannot be described.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    iluvcats wrote:
    cory is on stage, on here daily

True indeed:)

I do love being on a stage and playing music. My goal is to open for Fins one day.

True Story.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    I was the lead in our elementary school play. We did the "granny awards" which was a play on the Grammys. Only with all story book characters. I loved it. I love to act but I did so much else in high school and college I didn't have the chance.
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I love being on stage. It's been a while though. I was in a band for a long time and we did loadsa gigs. That was fun. The n I did a show in school when I was about 17. Frikkin loved it. Never tried proper acting though. I dunno if I'd be much good at it. I do love writing though. Working on a screenplay at the moment, and should be making a short after Christmas.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I stage dived at a Lemonheads/Superchunk show in 1994. Does that count?
  • Options
    Got my degree in Performing Arts. Attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts.

So, on stage a lot in high school, all through college and then in a company in San Francisco for a while.

Finally decided I didn't like the competitive nature of it all and just wanted to keep it as my passion.

Ask me sometime about almost getting arrested for doing Shakespeare in London. :) and no, it wasn't cause I was bad!
    "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

10/21/06 & 10/22/06 (Bridge Shows)
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I don't know if this counts, but I teach aerobic classes from a stage 12x a week. I memorize choreography to a wide variety of music, that involves jazz dance and other types of moves, cue it, give form and safety tips, and perform the moves myself, all the while doing it on the opposite foot from what I tell them to do (since I face them, when I tell them to plie to the right, I'm going left). Yeah it counts in some way I think. Its fun. Its a rush to see everyone doing it the right way because I explained it well.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    BuruBuru Posts: 8,473
    gue_barium wrote:
    Did you take a high school drama class, or participate in community theater? College?

Anything like that...
    What part did you play?
    Did you enjoy it?

I've been on stage quite a few times (I am in a music comedy group as a hobbie, we do musicals/plays each year) and I've also sung a couple songs with a friends band (just once).
    Performances went well, I never really had a big part in any of them, I'm just part of the cast.

then there are the usual school plays (mommy look at me) :p
    y la banda de Guille... cuando toca?
  • Options
    I played guitar on stage for years with different bands and artists.

I sang in a couple of original bands, too. I don't know if that counts as rock and roll or a Shakespearean tragedy. Or maybe a comedy! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

- Played George Washington in the 4th Grade school play, this was really cool because we did it in the auditorium and lots of people came to see it!

- Was involved with a local drama company in my junior high (pre-teen and teen years), we'd do a young adults play twice a year. The best one we did was called "The Third Wave," which was based on a true story of a high school teacher who taught his students about Hitler and Nazi Germany, and the repercussions that followed.

- Took acting/drama classes in high school.

- Best play/musical I was in was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, there weren't a whole lot of guys, so all the guys got to play Joseph's brothers and we were on stage almost all the time.

- Gave one of the commencement addresses at my high school graduation (I was far from being the valedictorian, I volunteered and I had to audition it)

- Didn't do any acting in college. I don't think I was that good at it.

- Now, I play music at open mic nights by myself, sometimes it's me with an acoustic, an electric, or a keyboard.

Do I still get stage fright? You bet. :)
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • Options
    ProteusProteus Posts: 166
    gue_barium wrote:

Anything like that...
    What part did you play?
    Did you enjoy it?

College, community, regional, NYC Off-Broadway, not quite on.

1. Many partz.
    2. Usually, not always.
    3. Sometimes good, sometimes it made me want to stare at my shoes.

Read my 2nd novel: Midget the Turd

...when it comes out...

...for a blistering, scathing account of the NYC theater scene.
    FUEL AND RELEASE!!! happiness is good FOR AN hour... FUEL AND RE-LEASE!!! happines is good FOR an HOU-ER.
    --P. Farrell
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    gue_barium wrote:

Anything like that...
    What part did you play?
    Did you enjoy it?

i was in a band once. i have no shame therefore i now openly addmit this! :eek: we did cover songs of......ok im not going THAT far to anounce the bands! um......it was embarassing at first cuz everyone is....like....so close to the stage. but after a few gigs and rockin the mic i enjoyed it! :D we hadd a solid amount of fans i must say.
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!