Options

Has anyone here been on stage?

gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
edited November 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Did you take a high school drama class, or participate in community theater? College?

Anything like that...
Church playes, grade school plays.
I think everybody has done a little of that sometime in their lives.
What part did you play?
Did you enjoy it?
How did the performance(s) go?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yep, when I was about 7 I had to play the lead in a play and had to sing a duet with a guy I was mad about at the time. I was just happy cos I got to wear a really fluffy pink dress :o thank fuck there are no pictures although I'm sure there are somewhere :o

I got a standing ovation :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    I have been on stage loads.
    I did school plays then went on to college to do a course in performing arts and music.
    I can't remember most of the things I did as it was quite a while ago, I would say I enjoyed it but always got far to nervous beforehand.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Many times.
    My crowning achievement was playing Duke Frederick in As You Like It.
    Yes, I was in drag. :p
    I did alot in college too.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    I have been on stage loads.
    I did school plays then went on to college to do a course in performing arts and music.
    I can't remember most of the things I did as it was quite a while ago, I would say I enjoyed it but always got far to nervous beforehand.

You've got to have at least one memorable moment you can share. Please?

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i've been on stage lots for dance and musical recitals but never for acting. i give props to those who can do it because the idea of that is scary to me!! :)
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Many times.
    My crowning achievement was playing Duke Frederick in As You Like It.
    Yes, I was in drag. :p
    I did alot in college too.

Memorable moment?
    Like tripping over something or laughing uncontrollably, or a standing ovation, or a part where you had the audience in the palm of your hand...

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    You've got to have at least one memorable moment you can share. Please?

Oh ok...let me see.

I once played Captain Rupert in Jonah Man Jazz (we did it panto style with men playing the women and visa versa) I quite enjoed the play and loved my role cause Rupert was such a good character to play.
    I would say the play went well :)
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    Memorable moment?
    Like tripping over something or laughing uncontrollably, or a standing ovation, or a part where you had the audience in the palm of your hand...
    I stomped my feet when I sang the part about how I won't marry him and I was quite adament about it where I really didn't have to be :D that had everyone laughing.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    gue_barium wrote:
    Memorable moment?
    I am quite sure I had the audience in the palm of my hand here:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2372/1516764517_195a66bfd9.jpg?v=0

My first time ever. I am on the right. :)

In college I was the Littlest Nun in The House of Blue Leaves (awesome if you like to read plays) and we had an awful show..all of us. My boyfriend was supposed to be in the audience and after the show I got stinking drunk because I felt I had stunk so bad..he wasn't there...it was sold out.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    most of my stage experience has been with music... played cello in loads of recitals throughout middle school and high school, and a music summer camp.... (lol.... this one time... at band camp... ;))

I also did a couple of fashion shows in high school....

thankfully, you don't have to talk in those... speaking in public makes me pretty nervous! :eek:
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I once swept up after a local amateur dramatics pantomime :)
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    1 year of Drama School, so several plays ..
    tried for a year to get work then had to admit I was crap and gave up.
  • Options
    jojojojo Posts: 645
    i was in chorus all through school so a bunch of times

my high school chorus sang Hallejuah chorus at Boston Symphony Hall with the Handel and Hyden Society that was pretty cool
    Ralph: Me fail English? That's unpossible.
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    1 year of Drama School, so several plays ..
    tried for a year to get work then had to admit I was crap and gave up.
    hey I didn't know that about you :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I was in a couple school plays and then did some improv at the community theatre.
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    When I was a kid I used to attend a school of speech and drama. (Nothing to do with proper school, it was a weekly class.) I did lots of exams for the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (the drama side), and the English Speaking Board, and quite a few plays, too. Every year I'd enter into regional drama festivals: I got a couple of bronzes and silvers, but I would usually be pipped to the gold by some upper middle-class cutesy-pie (not that I cared, to be honest).

I stopped doing acting when I was about fourteen. Drama classes were sausage fests, and I was into girls.

I didn't really enjoy acting much, to be honest. I always enjoy playing music live, though.
  • Options
    Many times, used to go to drama school as a child, did Drama A level at College and have performed at many functions and competitions singing....

I was born to be on the stage Dahrlings!! lol
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I was in a couple of grade school plays, but in college for a couple of my electives, I took Intro to Acting and Intro to Screenwriting. Both were a ton of fun and we had to perform a scene and a monologue as our final in the Intro to Acting. The screenwriting class was cool because we each got to write a 15-20 minute mini movie and act it out in class. Someday, I'll finish my movie ... lol ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    hey I didn't know that about you :)
    you don't know everything about me ;)
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    you don't know everything about me ;)
    true that :)

it's funny the amount of times that was said over halloween weekend... hmm... I think we should all get stupendously drunk some night and spill everything... that way nobody's gonna remember :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I've been acting for years, but I'm thinking of giving it up. The competition's just too stiff. :(
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    The closest to being "on stage" I got was a couple of years ago.....racing BMX.

I qualified to race a special race....in a big arena....

It was kinda like a big sporting event (think NBA Finals) atmosphere. Lights out, Pink Floyd (run) playing, spot lights and smoke machines, big booming announcer over the top of it all. You hear your name announced and ride through the tunnel....through the smoke on to the track.

It was really exhilarating!

I didn't win, but it was a great experience.

other than that, I was in a Christmas in Hawaii play in the 6th grade. :p
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    A couple plays in grade school and in high school I took speech and debate. The hardest was reciting a speech or dialogue of someone famous. It was hard because I chose George Carlin and I had to "rewrite" the jokes so that they were clean enough to be performed in a high school, but still had to make sense. Needless to say I didn't do his 7 words bit: http://www.erenkrantz.com/Humor/SevenDirtyWords.shtml
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    cory is on stage, on here daily
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    about ten or so years ago, my friend was in a improv group at the ice house....one night one guy couldn't make it so they asked me to sub.....it was a lot of fun......i had seen their show enough and new the guys well enough that it wasn't very hard.....quite a rush actually....:)
  • Options
    yay, a thread about theatre! i just graduated with my degree in theatre arts, so i've been in a couple. in college my most memorable moment on stage was playing the lead in "rising o' the moon", where i had to be in male drag and learn an irish accent, as well as sing traditional ballads.
    in our local community theatre i was the angel in "angels in america" and i'm currently in the play "doubt", where i play a young nun. its easily the most challenging role i've ever done, so i'm nervous as fuck.

i had no idea so many people on here did theatre. keep the cool stories coming!
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    gue_barium wrote:
    Did you take a high school drama class, or participate in community theater? College?

Anything like that...
    Church playes, grade school plays.
    I think everybody has done a little of that sometime in their lives.
    What part did you play?
    Did you enjoy it?
    How did the performance(s) go?

yes. i am ashamed to say. i was in a band before. :eek:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    I was the Virgin Mary in our first grade Christmas Pageant.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    Does karaoke count?

How about speeches to parliament?
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    When I was a kid I used to attend a school of speech and drama. (Nothing to do with proper school, it was a weekly class.) I did lots of exams for the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (the drama side), and the English Speaking Board, and quite a few plays, too. Every year I'd enter into regional drama festivals: I got a couple of bronzes and silvers, but I would usually be pipped to the gold by some upper middle-class cutesy-pie (not that I cared, to be honest).

I stopped doing acting when I was about fourteen. Drama classes were sausage fests, and I was into girls.

I didn't really enjoy acting much, to be honest. I always enjoy playing music live, though.

Maybe that's why you have such a good, confident sounding voice when you sing! :o