Options

yoga

2»

Comments

• Options
    I just started going to Yoga at my gym. I hate to work out, but Yoga is so refreshing. I swear the hour flies by. I feel really refreshed when I'm done. Its hard, thats for sure, but I can already feel myself improving. I really look forward to the classes.

I hope you like it when you go. Of course there will be people who have done a million classes, and make it look like its the easiest thing ever, but in my class, there are a lot of people who can't balance that great, or can't bend all the way, me included. But thats the good part, you can see yourself improve.

I'm scared! :)

I'm worried there's not enough rage in yoga :).
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    jammergirl wrote:
    not all hatha yoga is the "hot" yoga! mostly the term hatha is used to classify a gentle, basic yoga routine, good for beginners. the "hot" yoga is called Bikram, which is gaining popularity in most cities for people who want to lose weight. the main complaint that most yoga instructors have with Bikram is that people with certain medical ailments or conditions could see worsening effects while doing Bikram, since its doing strenuous excercizes in an incredibley hot room. If i were you I would look for a basic yoga class that emphasizes breathing technique and simple stretches. good luck!

agreed! when I started doing Hot Yoga, the studio was a Bikram studio, but the owner has branched out on his own and created a new Hot Yoga series which he calls Moksha. It has more hip openers, and more upper body strength, which the Bikram series is lacking.
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    I've always had trouble with flexibility in my shoulders. My downward dog looks like a table. However, the best part of yoga was doing things I never thought I could do. I'll be an eternal beginner because I need a class structure, and I'm not near one currently or have the resources.

One time i was doing a stretch that must have moved a muscle of my right back near the shoulder. It was the most amazing feeling, like spring air through an open door into a serene unclutter room. It was great! When I'm able to do yoga again, my goals will be modest, but one of them would be to get that feeling again.

For over 30 years I didn't know what it was like to wake up with a refreshed feeling. Because yoga loosened tight muscles I was able to breathe better. That was incredible! The teachers that exude joy they know what's what. They are the ones that have integrated the 8 branches of yoga, not just the poses, into their daily existence.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    yoga rocks...!!! I love it...it really helped me gain my strength back after rotator cuff surgery...plus it's relaxing...and, as an added bonus it's helpful in the bedroom, if you get my meanin'...

I like the show Namasta Yoga on Fit TV...those ladies are hot...
  • Options
    inmytree wrote:
    as an added bonus it's helpful in the bedroom, if you get my meanin'...

It makes it easier for you to squeeze under the bed to hide?
  • Options
    well there's a hatha class at the close gym tomorrow morning so I think I'm gonna go and just work out after. It's gonna be tough for me to get to these classes, they are always at bad times!
  • Options
    well i went this morning. it definitely seemed like beginner/relaxation thing, which was good. but I couldn't do most of the exercises correctly. I liked the end the best, when we got to lie on the floor and she moved our shoulders open for us :).
  • Options
    inmytreeinmytree Posts: 4,741
    Saturnal wrote:
    It makes it easier for you to squeeze under the bed to hide?

indeed...!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I think I'd end up lying on the floor looking like a pretzel! I'm willing to give it a go, but need to lose weight first and get more flexible.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    I think I'd end up lying on the floor looking like a pretzel! I'm willing to give it a go, but need to lose weight first and get more flexible.

dude, I was like a little ball rolling around on the floor.
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    dude, I was like a little ball rolling around on the floor.

HA! If anyone ever rolled tape on me doing that, I'd win $10,000!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    V VV V Posts: 5,191
    ooOOOooo good luck
    i love yoga have been doing it on and off for 10 yreas now,
    as you get to know the poses it's easy to fit into life. example if you are watching a lil TV in the evening then get off the sofa and try some sitting postures!

love that feeling from within, the whole body awareness, it gets you out of your head :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~ PINK FLUFFY LOVE PSYCHO~~~~~~~~~~
    Astoria,Dublin,Reading 06,Wembley 07,Sheapards Bush & o2 09 thats multiple Jamgasms!