Options

yoga

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I've never really done it but I think I need to start because I need stress relief. I'm not sure if I'm going to like it (never seemed to be my thing). But which kind should I do? Vinyasa? Hatha? any of these other random kinds? Suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I've never really done it but I think I need to start because I need stress relief. I'm not sure if I'm going to like it (never seemed to be my thing). But which kind should I do? Vinyasa? Hatha? any of these other random kinds? Suggestions?
    I would start with Vinyasa....the most mainstream, IMO.
    Hatha is a real hardcore workout done in a really hot room. It makes it easier to get into the poses because your muscles are more relaxed. I haven't done Hatha in years as you need a studio and i tend to practice at home now. I would rather follow my own routine than take a cheap class and it is not in the budget to take a good class right now.
    Yoga ROCKS!
    You will marvel at what the human body is capable of.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    try hot yoga
  • Options
    Vinyasa is the way to go - Hatha can lead to injuries if you are not careful and is really not for beginners.

Enjoy the experience - you will feel stress melt off of you!
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    Vinyasa is the way to go - Hatha can lead to injuries if you are not careful and is really not for beginners.

Enjoy the experience - you will feel stress melt off of you!

I'm afraid it will make me more stressed, lol!
    I'm bad at moving my body in very precise ways and I have 0 balance and 0 flexibility!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    One of my best friends has been doing yoga for years and I think it has made her extremely flexible in body and mind. I am trying to get started on it because I see what it's done for her.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options

this is weird though because one of my gyms (yes I belong to 2 at the current time, long story) lists a hatha class as a beginner class and vinyasa class as a more intermediate one.
  • Options
    i like my yoga with strawberries and fresh pecans
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    my wife has done it for many years

it does wonders for her body and mind

I make sure she gets to her class at least once a week or she can be real bitchy
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    I'm afraid it will make me more stressed, lol!
    I'm bad at moving my body in very precise ways and I have 0 balance and 0 flexibility!
    that is exactly why you NEED yoga. over time you will develop balance and flexibility. just remember everyone has to start somewhere. i highly suggest you try a class.

good luck!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I'm not flexible enough to do yoga.

(probably the biggest misconception about yoga, but still..)
    I love to turn you on
  • Options

I don't think I have enough patience to do yoga...
  • Options

Not a misconception but a fear newbies have. Even though you would think yoga people would be on a different plane and not comparing bodies and strengths, it still happens.
    It takes alot of practice, like anything. You don't just get up one day and run 5 miles. It takes buildup. Yoga is the same way. It is vital for people to keep their bodies limber as they get older. Stretching even helps. Yoga will balance the body and mind. My favorite poses are down dog, headstands and the triangle pose. :)
    Corpse is awesome. You can pretend you are doing something when actually, you are just lying there. :p
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,574
    Kundalini Yoga
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    at the very least u will sweat with the hot yoga
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Not a misconception but a fear newbies have. Even though you would think yoga people would be on a different plane and not comparing bodies and strengths, it still happens.
    It takes alot of practice, like anything. You don't just get up one day and run 5 miles. It takes buildup. Yoga is the same way. It is vital for people to keep their bodies limber as they get older. Stretching even helps. Yoga will balance the body and mind. My favorite poses are down dog, headstands and the triangle pose. :)
    Corpse is awesome. You can pretend you are doing something when actually, you are just lying there. :p

very well stated.......
    wow, a headstand, i'm impressed!
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    at the very least u will sweat with the hot yoga

yeah I don't need any extra sweating.
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:

Hard. Officially Hard. :D
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    this is weird though because one of my gyms (yes I belong to 2 at the current time, long story) lists a hatha class as a beginner class and vinyasa class as a more intermediate one.

some gyms refer to basic poses w/o breathe synchronicity in a slightly warmed room (not like the hot hatha) as "Hatha" yoga. that would be for a beginner.

Vinyasa matches movement to breathing and can be quicker paced. it is really good for stress, and for weight control...but it does require more dedication (just within the class realm)

if the gym you are going to for the Yoga class lists Hatha as a beginner, then you may want to go with that one. I was talking about Hatha yoga that uses high room temperature and more 'extreme" poses...or poses without the breathing flow to control your personal limitations.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    tish wrote:
    Kundalini Yoga
    While Kundalini is cool, I don't think it is something green tea would like....lots of breathing techniques, some chanting...very spiritual.
    I would start with Vinyasa.
  • Options
    I don't think I have enough patience to do yoga...

then try spinning. it's a great stress reliever, great cardio.
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    While Kundalini is cool, I don't think it is something green tea would like....lots of breathing techniques, some chanting...very spiritual.
    I would start with Vinyasa.

yeah I saw the Kundalini listing and I was just like "not that one!"
  • Options
    gluten919 wrote:
    very well stated.......
    wow, a headstand, i'm impressed!
    This is why it is so gratifying! :) I would never have thought I could do a headstand! It is such an awesome feeling. When I first started, I would have the wall behind me in case I tumbled over. But as my confidence built I was able to move away. I lost touch with yoga for a while and have been practicing fiercely again. The headstand is wonderful to clear the head.
    Alot of yoga involves confidence I think. And developing a sense of balance.
    Tree pose if good for balance.
  • Options
    gluten919 wrote:
    then try spinning. it's a great stress reliever, great cardio.

oh I do spinning!
    unfortunately my new gym, the one I'm sticking with, doesn't have it. but that's ok, I have a road bike.

I already do a ton of exercising, but I have a lot of anxiety related to exercise so I need to somehow counter balance it. exercise causes me stress because I want to have a perfect work out every day and I want to be the most fit person on earth. If I don't, I get really pissed at myself. Which is why I'm a little concerned about yoga, because I will probably just become a perfectionist at that too and get pissed at myself. we'll see.
  • Options
    Officially I have no idea what these terms/types mean but they all seem difficult. I have some catching up/research to do I guess.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Officially I have no idea what these terms/types mean but they all seem difficult. I have some catching up/research to do I guess.
    like trixiecat said earlier, yoga takes practice. some poses are more difficult than others, but with practice, it becomes easier.
  • Options
    not all hatha yoga is the "hot" yoga! mostly the term hatha is used to classify a gentle, basic yoga routine, good for beginners. the "hot" yoga is called Bikram, which is gaining popularity in most cities for people who want to lose weight. the main complaint that most yoga instructors have with Bikram is that people with certain medical ailments or conditions could see worsening effects while doing Bikram, since its doing strenuous excercizes in an incredibley hot room. If i were you I would look for a basic yoga class that emphasizes breathing technique and simple stretches. good luck!
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    i don't think you have to worry about a hot yoga class being too hard to begin with.

That's where I started, and it was fine... most instructors, if they know it's your first class, will pay extra attention to you, and even suggest some simplified postures for you to try.

Yoga is good for any skill level, because most postures can be modified to suit your body. And you do get benefit out of just doing a posture "part way"...

for example, you don't need to be able to go into a full dancer's pose on your first try! even if you can just balance on one foot, that's a great start... i've been doing this one for years, and i still can't do the full thing! :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    jammergirl wrote:
    not all hatha yoga is the "hot" yoga! mostly the term hatha is used to classify a gentle, basic yoga routine, good for beginners. the "hot" yoga is called Bikram, which is gaining popularity in most cities for people who want to lose weight. the main complaint that most yoga instructors have with Bikram is that people with certain medical ailments or conditions could see worsening effects while doing Bikram, since its doing strenuous excercizes in an incredibley hot room. If i were you I would look for a basic yoga class that emphasizes breathing technique and simple stretches. good luck!
    Shoot! My bad..you are right...Bikram is the hot yoga. :o
    Pay no attention to me green tea...
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    the breathing alone does absolute wonders to relax
    the mind and body.

and it just feels so good. i like the low impact aspect of yoga.

give it a try....its so worth it. good luck.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I just started going to Yoga at my gym. I hate to work out, but Yoga is so refreshing. I swear the hour flies by. I feel really refreshed when I'm done. Its hard, thats for sure, but I can already feel myself improving. I really look forward to the classes.

I hope you like it when you go. Of course there will be people who have done a million classes, and make it look like its the easiest thing ever, but in my class, there are a lot of people who can't balance that great, or can't bend all the way, me included. But thats the good part, you can see yourself improve.