Options

what's the deal with people not coming to work every single snowy day?

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
there are 3 of 17 people here today! what the flop, this is boston, there are public transportation and walkable streets...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hehehe that sucks. im outta school right now! wooooohoooooooooo! :D:D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    there are 3 of 17 people here today! what the flop, this is boston, there are public transportation and walkable streets...

dont get me started on this one lol
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647

You must be in the public sector....

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    many times it is b/c these people have kids and the schools close just over a weather report before anything even falls out of the sky!

i mean i have friends today whose kids are on 3 hour delays and it literally just rained overnight.

it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i lie awake at night wondering how the guy who drives a snow plow for a living actually gets to his place of work? :confused:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,647
    dunkman wrote:
    i lie awake at night wondering how the guy who drives a snow plow for a living actually gets to his place of work? :confused:

He walks from his front door to his truck.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    dunkman wrote:
    Around these parts they just drive around a few hours before the snow starts and have coffee or throw darts in a bar. If they work for the state and plow the highways, they are usually parked somewhere when it just starts.
    Don't worry D..they are ok. :)

And yes, it is probably because they have children and have no where to drop them off.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    hehehehe :)

its true. although things around Castle Fuckula might be different..........

• Options
    You must be in the public sector....

no not at all! about as private as it gets! everyone is "working from home."

actually, I'm sure they are actually working. I'm having a call with some people soon. but still.
  • Options
    I wish it was snowing here! :( All we got was rain :mad:

I have an hour commute and I usually make it to work regardless of weather. It drives me crazy when people who literally live 10 minutes away can't make it in. I have had some bad scares while driving though, and every time I swear I'm not gonna risk my life again...and then I do :o
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    no not at all! about as private as it gets! everyone is "working from home."

actually, I'm sure they are actually working. I'm having a call with some people soon. but still.
    hahahaha that just made this 10x funnier :p:D

• Options
    the other weird thing is when there are snow days from school so people have to stay home to watch their kids. I don't get that. if you have kids, and you have a job, shouldn't you have some sort of plan for this kind of thing? I mean in my office it's clearly flexible enough that you can just work from home. But I don't remember my parents ever staying home to watch us when it snowed.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    not a spec of snow in NYC. what a let down.
  • Options
    if you have kids, and you have a job, shouldn't you have some sort of plan for this kind of thing?

Ideally, yes. But, it's not like you can just send your kids to a daycare center for a day or two on the spur of the moment. Same with finding reliable in-home childcare. It's not like there are people just waiting around to provide childcare to an entire school district full of kids just because of a snow day.

My parents were home when it snowed, because they worked for the school district. I don't know what other people did.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    the other weird thing is when there are snow days from school so people have to stay home to watch their kids. I don't get that. if you have kids, and you have a job, shouldn't you have some sort of plan for this kind of thing? I mean in my office it's clearly flexible enough that you can just work from home. But I don't remember my parents ever staying home to watch us when it snowed.
    I don't understand how this doesn't make sense. Kids come first. If people are able to telecommute, that is one of the beauties of it! It's great for emergencies. A main water line busted, and when I went to get a drink of water today - no WATER! My boss let me switch my telecommuting days so that I could stay home today, and be aware of the progress.

The plan is to stay home so that your kids are not illegally staying home by themselves. If you are talking about neighbors helping each other out, and already having a plan in case something like this happens - I don't think neighbors know each other that much for that type of planned Plan B. If there is someone old enough at home to watch the kids then the parents don't have to stay home. My oldest sister is 5 years older than me. She usually did the babysitting. My dad could work, and my mom could go to school without much problem. Although rarely they did hire a babysitter if my two older siblings weren't home.

If you were 5, and it snowed, and you were home by yourself because your parents decided to go to work, they would be neglectful. It's illegal.

In MD a kid has to be 10 (I think it's 10)to stay home without parental supervision.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options

so during the months of Nov-Feb he keeps a snow plow outside his house... mmm classy :)

and for the other 8 months he keeps it where?

snow plows are kept in government yards here... so if it snows the man has to get to the place to enable him to drive it ... ahhh fuck it... . it was meant to be a fucking joke... if people cant get it then i'm not explaining it :rolleyes:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I wish it was snowing here! All we got was rain :mad:

I have an hour commute and I usually make it to work regardless of weather. It drives me crazy when people who literally live 10 minutes away can't make it in. I have had some bad scares while driving though, and every time I swear I'm not gonna risk my life again...and then I do :o
    maybe these people who don't make it in actually listen to their own advice :o they may have had one too many close calls. There's also the not having anywhere to send the kids thing... and then there's the chance of getting snowed in and having no way to get home at work. I got sent home from work once cos of snow :) it was starting kinda heavily so they sent us all home, it was fantastic :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    dunkman wrote:
    so during the months of Nov-Feb he keeps a snow plow outside his house... mmm classy :)

and for the other 8 months he keeps it where?

snow plows are kept in government yards here... so if it snows the man has to get to the place to enable him to drive it ... ahhh fuck it... . it was meant to be a fucking joke... if people cant get it then i'm not explaining it :rolleyes:
    Speaking of helpful communities. I think adverse weather bonds communities, and why I think this has to do with Green Bay Wisconsin. When I lived there it snowed, and snowed, and snowed. In no time trucks with plows were cleaning up the roads. What's interesting is that some non-government people just had a plow on their trucks. They dug themselves out, they dug their neighbors out, it's just what they do. People would routinely help each other out.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    There is nothing weird about this.
    Did your mom and dad leave you sitting home when you didn't have school by yourself? Or were you fortunate enough to be surrounded by family like I was.
    I was watched by my great uncle that lived next door. Alot of people don't have that, nor do they have an on call sitter.
    Get over it already. Doesn't seem like you are doing much work anyway...lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    It's the kids thing at my office. 6 of my 15 people are out. MBTA was running fine. It annoys me, because we are not allowed to call out at the hospital, but child care is obviously an issue too.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Ideally, yes. But, it's not like you can just send your kids to a daycare center for a day or two on the spur of the moment. Same with finding reliable in-home childcare. It's not like there are people just waiting around to provide childcare to an entire school district full of kids just because of a snow day.

exactly! I HATE when people say "you should have a back up plan"

clueless

um yeah....there is someone I know who just sits around and is readily avaiable when my kid is sick or there is a snow day. this person doesn't work, and just waits around for me to need them. ok, go find me one of those, I'd love to have one!
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Instead of sick days, or in addition to sick days...companies should offer sunshine days. Where you can take the day off on a really nice day X numbers of times per year.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote:
    Instead of sick days, or in addition to sick days...companies should offer sunshine days. Where you can take the day off on a really nice day X numbers of times per year.
    isnt that called a personal day?? :confused:

• Options
    I get what people are saying, but there are just those people who you know are using it as an excuse.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Speaking of helpful communities. I think adverse weather bonds communities, and why I think this has to do with Green Bay Wisconsin. When I lived there it snowed, and snowed, and snowed. In no time trucks with plows were cleaning up the roads. What's interesting is that some non-government people just had a plow on their trucks. They dug themselves out, they dug their neighbors out, it's just what they do. People would routinely help each other out.

yeah i remember neighbours doing that for each other back about 6 or 7 years ago when we had 7ft of snow here.. it was brilliant as there were no cars on the road and people just helped out each other.. almost like going back to a village community kinda thing... there were old guys out with coffee flasks and i went and got milk/bread for the oldies down the street.. great memories actually :)
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    There is nothing weird about this.
    Did your mom and dad leave you sitting home when you didn't have school by yourself? Or were you fortunate enough to be surrounded by family like I was.
    I was watched by my great uncle that lived next door. Alot of people don't have that, nor do they have an on call sitter.
    Get over it already. Doesn't seem like you are doing much work anyway...lol

I don't remember what we did really. most of my parents' friends were teachers so I think we went to their houses...or my grandparents.
  • Options
    Oh..and congratulations to any idiot that talks about backup plans for sick kids. They don't exist. There is no service for it. You can't send your kid to daycare/school because they will infect the whole place.

My wife and I split time off when our son is sick 50/50. At her last job, her manager asked that she set up a backup plan so that she didn't miss _any_ work when the boy got ill. She handed in her resignation the next week and found a new job that paid 30pct more than she was making.
  • Options
    isnt that called a personal day?? :confused:

Where I work, any non-scheduled day off is called a personal day, so there is no distinction for illness.
  • Options
    Derrick wrote:
    Oh..and congratulations to any idiot that talks about backup plans for sick kids. They don't exist. There is no service for it. You can't send your kid to daycare/school because they will infect the whole place.

My wife and I split time off when our son is sick 50/50. At her last job, her manager asked that she set up a backup plan so that she didn't miss _any_ work when the boy got ill. She handed in her resignation the next week and found a new job that paid 30pct more than she was making.

some people just don't get it.....
  • Options
    I get what people are saying, but there are just those people who you know are using it as an excuse.
    hey what's the big deal? I haven't had a sick/personal day in a long time, might be about a year... but I'm quite jealous of those who can/have the balls to take them frequently :) .
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you