what are you doing for the superbowl?

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
just curious as to what people's plans are. I'm just going up to my neighbors' and I don't really know any details further than that :).
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I'm watching hockey.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Rygar wrote:
    I'm watching hockey.

haha

its an afternoon game though
  • Probably nothing. I don't like sports, and I don't care to make an event out of watching commercials. ;)

If my in-laws do something, they'll probably have us over to eat some unhealthy food for dinner. But I haven't heard anything yet.

It'll be an ordinary Sunday night, so we'll probably watch a movie. :)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'll be asleep right through it!!

i stayed up once or twice to watch it years back.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'll watch the game for the commercials....;) :p
  • cutback wrote:

I feel like in the past few years there haven't been any really good commercials.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    dunkman wrote:
    i stayed up once or twice to watch it years back.

I'm staying up!
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Watching at home. Too broke to go out, and too much of a pain in the ass to go to someone's house since I have to work the next day.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    haha

its an afternoon game though
    I know.
  • Watching at home. Too broke to go out, and too much of a pain in the ass to go to someone's house since I have to work the next day.

I've never understood why they insist on having it on a sunday. always a pain.

the superbowl, for my family/friends has always been one of those days you have to do something. usually involving chili.
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    cutback wrote:

exactly, the best part.

after all the hype and hoopla leading up to it,
    the game itself seems almost secondary.

i'm probably going to a friend's to eat too much
    and laugh at the commentators :D
    Nice shirt.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I'm going to Disney World! :D
    I love to turn you on
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I feel like in the past few years there haven't been any really good commercials.

yea but the game is so boring it's the only thing to watch....:D

sorry. not a big fan of the nfl....:o
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Rygar wrote:
    I'm watching hockey.

:D
    excellent!

times around all these *big* sporting events, and just reminds me of yet another reason why i soooo love my husband; he has ZERO interest in televised sports. :) seriously, it is wonderful! i have zero interest in them as well. he likes to play sports and is active, but no interest in all the tv/commercial shite....it's great. sooooooooo, i'lll be doing whatEVER unrelated to the superbowl, and it will be fabulous. :cool:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    Probably going to sleep about halftime.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • cutback wrote:
    yea but the game is so boring it's the only thing to watch....:D

sorry. not a big fan of the nfl....:o

I find I have to be around other people who are into it to be into it.
  • times around all these *big* sporting events, and just reminds me of yet another reason why i soooo love my husband; he has ZERO interest in televised sports. :) seriously, it is wonderful! i have zero interest in them as well. he likes to play sports and is active, but no interest in all the tv/commercial shite....

I could have written this. :) It's great, isn't it? :D

We both like going to baseball games, because we both played baseball/softball as little kids, and for the social aspect because we have family members who enjoy that sort of thing. But, you will never find a game on in our house. It's awesome. :D
    I could have written this. :) It's great, isn't it? :D

We both like going to baseball games, because we both played baseball/softball as little kids, and for the social aspect because we have family members who enjoy that sort of thing. But, you will never find a game on in our house. It's awesome. :D

it REALLY, REAALLLLYYYY is! :D
    truly!
    if hubby and i ever split, i don't know what i'd do, i am so spoiled overall...but definitely in regards to "no sports"....how would i EVEr find another sexy straight man who doesn't like to watch sports to hook up with? :p there is not one televised sport that either of us watch, at all....zero interest.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

Jaysus people! :eek:

What a bunch of fookin sallies!!!!! Even if you don't like football, it's still a great excuse to party/tailgate/whatever you want to call it! And throw in the fact that it's Groundhog Day on Saturday, what more reason could you need???????????? Christ the people in Punxatawny PA won't sleep for 48 hours!!!

Unless, of course, you partied yourselves silly on MLK weekend! No, wait, are ya holdin' out for Lincoln's Birthday? Washington's?

Come on people!!!

:p
    I love to turn you on
    Jaysus people! :eek:

What a bunch of fookin sallies!!!!! Even if you don't like football, it's still a great excuse to party/tailgate/whatever you want to call it! And throw in the fact that it's Groundhog Day on Saturday, what more reason could you need???????????? Christ the people in Punxatawny PA won't sleep for 48 hours!!!

Unless, of course, you partied yourselves silly on MLK weekend! No, wait, are ya holdin' out for Lincoln's Birthday? Washington's?

Come on people!!!

:p

who needs an excuse? ;)
    we party whenever/however we like.

you go watch tv.......i'll go and have s**..........:p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

soy rules!!! very underestimated food thingy is soy
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    who needs an excuse? ;)
    we party whenever/however we like.

honey if you last 4 quarters doing that, then you're my new hero! :p
    I love to turn you on
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    I'll be watching the game! Go GIANTS!!! I hope they kick Tom Brady's ass into the middle of next week!
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • it REALLY, REAALLLLYYYY is! :D
    truly!
    if hubby and i ever split, i don't know what i'd do, i am so spoiled overall...but definitely in regards to "no sports"....how would i EVEr find another sexy straight man who doesn't like to watch sports to hook up with? :p there is not one televised sport that either of us watch, at all....zero interest.

but don't you find you have to have some idea about what's going on in sports just to sort of function in american society? if you live in boston and don't follow the red sox AT ALL you will have nothing to talk about with other people for at least a few months. Plus I find it gives people a bit of a common ground for conversing with strangers and whatnot. sometimes I find football boring and I don't really *care* about it per se, but it is definitely fun to go to down to the pizza and beer place in my neighborhood and watch the game with pretty much the whole town. my dad always told me growing up that I have to watch sports to be social and I fought it until I graduated from college I think, and it turns out he was pretty much right. it's so true too when you meet someone from somewhere else, pretty much the first thing they ask you to make small talk is "so are you a red sox fan?" or "so I take it you're a patriots fan." I mean it's completely meaningless and about the same as discussing the weather or thanking god that it's friday, but it really does make for a good conversation starter. it seems like it's also one of the only things that pretty much everyone, no matter what they do for a living or how educated they are or what their interests are or whatever can talk about with each other. What I like about sports is definitely the community aspect. Even going back to high school, there was something about seeing my whole city at the thanksgiving football game that was really amazing. I hated football and hated football PLAYERS even more, but I ALWAYS went to the game. the sense of community you get is unbelievable.
    but don't you find you have to have some idea about what's going on in sports just to sort of function in american society? if you live in boston and don't follow the red sox AT ALL you will have nothing to talk about with other people for at least a few months. Plus I find it gives people a bit of a common ground for conversing with strangers and whatnot. sometimes I find football boring and I don't really *care* about it per se, but it is definitely fun to go to down to the pizza and beer place in my neighborhood and watch the game with pretty much the whole town. my dad always told me growing up that I have to watch sports to be social and I fought it until I graduated from college I think, and it turns out he was pretty much right. it's so true too when you meet someone from somewhere else, pretty much the first thing they ask you to make small talk is "so are you a red sox fan?" or "so I take it you're a patriots fan." I mean it's completely meaningless and about the same as discussing the weather or thanking god that it's friday, but it really does make for a good conversation starter. it seems like it's also one of the only things that pretty much everyone, no matter what they do for a living or how educated they are or what their interests are or whatever can talk about with each other. What I like about sports is definitely the community aspect.

you don't have to know sports to function in society. That's over stating it
    There are tons of other things to talk about. Like the presidential election!

In NY we can just talk about how much Boston sucks! (JUST KIDDING!!!)

but boys who talk sports=HOT :)

Me being able to talk about baseball is always like a 'secret weapon' I still get funny looks from guys who are like 'oh snap, she knows her stuff' and men that have expressed genuine shock/surprise that I know about sports. I met a guy from Philly in a club who flipped out b/c I knew who Mike Schmidt was.
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    but don't you find you have to have some idea about what's going on in sports just to sort of function in american society? if you live in boston and don't follow the red sox AT ALL you will have nothing to talk about with other people for at least a few months. Plus I find it gives people a bit of a common ground for conversing with strangers and whatnot. sometimes I find football boring and I don't really *care* about it per se, but it is definitely fun to go to down to the pizza and beer place in my neighborhood and watch the game with pretty much the whole town. my dad always told me growing up that I have to watch sports to be social and I fought it until I graduated from college I think, and it turns out he was pretty much right. it's so true too when you meet someone from somewhere else, pretty much the first thing they ask you to make small talk is "so are you a red sox fan?" or "so I take it you're a patriots fan." I mean it's completely meaningless and about the same as discussing the weather or thanking god that it's friday, but it really does make for a good conversation starter. it seems like it's also one of the only things that pretty much everyone, no matter what they do for a living or how educated they are or what their interests are or whatever can talk about with each other. What I like about sports is definitely the community aspect. Even going back to high school, there was something about seeing my whole city at the thanksgiving football game that was really amazing. I hated football and hated football PLAYERS even more, but I ALWAYS went to the game. the sense of community you get is unbelievable.

short answer: NO, not at all.

never did. it is easy enough to say you have no interest, and after a brief spurt of disbelief :p...move on to other topics. also a conversation in itself. haha. even my husband jokes about it for guys at work giving him shite about it. people eventaully realize it it's not your thing, and friends/family/colleagues just don't bother you with it. there is PLENTY in this life to have a sense of community, etc, with lots of people with...don't need sports specifically for that. music, film and art work fine for me/us, for starters. :)

honey if you last 4 quarters doing that, then you're my new hero! :p

wouldn't you like to know. ;) haha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    cutback wrote:

i'll watch the game for the greatest upset.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Allie wrote:
    Me being able to talk about baseball is always like a 'secret weapon' I still get funny looks from guys who are like 'oh snap, she knows her stuff' and men that have expressed genuine shock/surprise that I know about sports. I met a guy from Philly in a club who flipped out b/c I knew who Mike Schmidt was.

haha well that's just guys being ignorant of the fact that girls do know more than the best place to get a pedicure and what the latest $500 purse is. :).

I don't know all THAT much about sports, just enough to get by and enjoy it a bit. I'm always up for going to a game. it's something fun to do. But what I don't understand about people never watching the superbowl is, aren't you missing out on parties? It's just fun to go to someone's house and eat chili and drink beer for no real reason. I wouldn't want to miss out on such a social occasion.
    haha well that's just guys being ignorant of the fact that girls do know more than the best place to get a pedicure and what the latest $500 purse is. :).

I don't know all THAT much about sports, just enough to get by and enjoy it a bit. I'm always up for going to a game. it's something fun to do. But what I don't understand about people never watching the superbowl is, aren't you missing out on parties? It's just fun to go to someone's house and eat chili and drink beer for no real reason. I wouldn't want to miss out on such a social occasion.

Not everyone likes to 'party' :) what's with the chilli! I'm getting wings! :)
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • there is PLENTY in this life to have a sense of community, etc, with lots of people with...don't need sports specifically for that. music, film and art work fine for me/us, for starters. :)

well what I have found is that there are far, far, more people interested in sports than interested in music, film, and art, and it crosses more social boundaries. Of course, I prefer to talk about music more than anything, but most of the people I run into in life could care less, close friends, complete strangers, and the guy who empties the trash in my office all included. Pus, it's hard to get an entire city riled up to party for anything else, as unfortunate as that might be.