Freaks and Geeks

rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
edited January 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Holy shit. Possibly one of the funniest and best TV series I've ever seen. I don't know if it's because I'm in high school as well and I can relate to it or what but this show is just so clever. And it's great to see all of these big name stars (if you can consider them that) acting at such a young age whether it's with the main cast or the numerous cameos they have. Just love it.

If anyone is a fan of Judd Apatow and his films I definately suggest that you check this series out. Too bad it was cancelled after just one season, but the expensive price of the DVD is so worth it. One of the most original and best TV series I've ever seen.

Anyone else agree/disagree with me?
Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
Butthead: Huh huh.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I loved this show. I don't know why they ever finished it off. Too funny :)
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    fox are just stupid. dropping this and arrested development- absolute crimes!!

check out undeclared too my friend. apatow's followup show (also got canned after 1 season)

seth rogen and jason segel from F&G are in it, plus monica keena who is smokin hot:)
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • This was a great show...It wasn't my generation that the show was about but it was timeless.

absolutely hilarious...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    yeh i loved it. That chick who is now on E.R is a hottie
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • duggro wrote:
    fox are just stupid. dropping this and arrested development- absolute crimes!!

check out undeclared too my friend. apatow's followup show (also got canned after 1 season)

seth rogen and jason segel from F&G are in it, plus monica keena who is smokin hot:)

F&G was on NBC, they are The Jerks :D

Undeclarded was on FOX- thay are Bigger Jerks

Im a huge Apatow fan , im addicted to all of his work because iseriously love his comedic wirting and approach to anything he produces

Freaks and Geeks was an amazing show, it had sooo much character and it was something that you could fall in love with, and it was insanely funny, every character you could relate to or knew someone like them. it was really sad they cancelled it, and when you see the current crap on tv today it makes me sick, thank God for DVD. i watch every now and then especially the last episode which is my favorite

Undeclared is my favorite out of the two, i loved every second of it ,i guess becuase when it came out i was in college as well and everything they were going thru i was too so it was funny, and the writing was great, and it was very character driven ,which is missing today.
    if you dont own it buy the undeclared DVD its very worth it

Thank GOd apatow still employs all of his F&G and Undeclared Castmates in all of his films. Which is very fun picking them out
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982

Im a huge Apatow fan , im addicted to all of his work because iseriously love his comedic wirting and approach to anything he produces

Freaks and Geeks was an amazing show, it had sooo much character and it was something that you could fall in love with, and it was insanely funny, every character you could relate to or knew someone like them. it was really sad they cancelled it, and when you see the current crap on tv today it makes me sick, thank God for DVD. i watch every now and then especially the last episode which is my favorite

Undeclared is my favorite out of the two, i loved every second of it ,i guess becuase when it came out i was in college as well and everything they were going thru i was too so it was funny, and the writing was great, and it was very character driven ,which is missing today.

Thank GOd apatow still employs all of his F&G and Undeclared Castmates in all of his films. Which is very fun picking them out

aaah being from uk, its hard to keep track. i just remember hearing apatow at a Q&A in august saying how he sent fox a "fuck you copy" of time magazine (i think). guess that was about undeclared but i coulda just remembered the whole thing wrong!

aaah, i remember, fox took it from nbc and aired the final eps.

i totally agree about picking out the apatow guys in films, its well funny. bill always pops up in all the films (random jew in walk hard too)

right, im gonna go watch freaks and geeks now
    from rollingstone:

"The stress of battling with NBC executives as head writer on Freaks and Geeks left Apatow with a herniated disc. He found himself unable to laugh without excruciating pain, and he landed in the hospital for spinal surgery. When Fox -- which had already canceled The Ben Stiller Show -- did the same to Undeclared, Apatow sent the network a framed copy of the show's appearance in Time magazine's "Ten Best TV Shows," accompanied by a note: "How can you fuck me in the ass again when your dick is still in there from last time?""

thats where my confusion came from, but i remembered well at least! :)
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968

Yeah the best is picking out all of the cast members throughout his works.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • And it's great to see all of these big name stars (if you can consider them that) acting at such a young age whether it's with the main cast or the numerous cameos they have. Just love it.

hahahaha this show wasn't out that long ago!

but yeah it was a great show. the saddest thing that it ended after one season. but maybe that makes it all the more precious.
  • I don't know if it's because I'm in high school as well and I can relate to it or what but this show is just so clever.

Nah, it's timelessly awesome. :D

Then again, we were all in high school at one time. So that's why it still resonates. :)
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    My girlfriend loves it so I tried watching it with her but really dont find it all that funny. I will say this though, beats the hell out of the shit that is on television nowadays, I am so damn sick of this reality shows with voting people off and all that nonsense.........I am getting pissed off just thinking about it.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Here is a show that I believe is by the same writers or producers. It was alot better/funnier in my opinion and I can relate to it alot more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_As_We_Know_It

I think they might have every single episode on youtube right now
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=7IC85qqQau4
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i love watching shows that make you feel good. this flawless show does just that. great acting. great writing. great music. great casting. great show. go watch it right now! judd apatow is a genious.
    Here is a show that I believe is by the same writers or producers. It was alot better/funnier in my opinion and I can relate to it alot more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_As_We_Know_It

I think they might have every single episode on youtube right now
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=7IC85qqQau4
    does that actually bear any real relation to freaks and geeks?

other than a supervising producer? i really cant get into this show at all though. saw a couple of eps and didnt like it
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    What a great show it was. :)
  • YardenYarden Posts: 820
    just strated watching this show again with my cousin who is watching it for the first time. it's even better than i remembered and she loves it as well. one of the best shows ever. perfect cast and writing.
  • jlaustinjlaustin Posts: 2,355
    Bought the box set from Popmarket. Really love it!
    2013 Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 Cincy, Detroit, Moline, & Milwaukee
    2015 Central Park
    2016 Lexington, Ottawa, Toronto 1 & 2, Boston 1 & 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2017 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    2018 Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Chicago 1

• jlaustin said:

That's my plan too.
    Actually, my wife + I have the same plan
    with The West Wing.
    I look forward to savouring this show +
    once again cringing at the awkwardness.

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Watched in on netflix streaming a few months back...loved it!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)

jlaustin said:

That's my plan too.
    Actually, my wife + I have the same plan
    with The West Wing.
    I look forward to savouring this show +
    once again cringing at the awkwardness.

Cheers.

Love watching series in bunches. Just watched season 2 of the Wire over a couple of days. Love the West Wing - might need to get that now - was it available through PopMarket?
    2015 Central Park

• So this has been bugging me for a while and now that I'm rewatching the series again it is really obvious. Does anyone else see the way to erie way the the character in Juno seems based on Lindsay from this series? Maybe it's just me but take away the pregnancy and it's spooky, right down to how much Ellen Page looks like Linda Cardelinni.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • jlaustin said:

Love watching series in bunches. Just watched season 2 of the Wire over a couple of days. Love the West Wing - might need to get that now - was it available through PopMarket?

:\">
    I don't know what PopMarket is-
    sorry!
    I just go the old-fashioned route + buy a bunch
    of DVD box sets.
    I've heard good things about The Wire,
    but for some reason I don't really have the desire to check it out.
    Same with The Shield a few years back.
    Anyways, I'm off to track down this Market of Pop...
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
    PopMarket is this website that sells bundles of vinyl, cd, dvd, etc. for good prices - but you have to be on it when it is listed to get them. I haven't been able to figure out how to search for things on the site! lol go to popmarket.com and sign up for their e-mails.

:-bd
    2015 Central Park

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    The library is a wonderful place.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Awesome show...too bad it was only 1 season. My wife hasn't seen it so we'll probably watch it on netflix soon.
  • I had a major crush on Lindsay back when this was on. Most beautiful girl I'd seen since Alyssa Milano.

I own 2 copies of the show because I ended up wanting the 'Yearbook' edition after getting the regular DVD set, which is like new- only watched through once. Classic show. Such good quality TV. Travesty it lasted a mere 18 episodes and never concluded properly.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Seth Rogan confronted the guy who cancelled the show over the weekend backstage at SNL.

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/10/backstage-at-snl-seth-rogen-finally-confronted-the-guy-who-cancelled-freaks-and-geeks/
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    So basically, one executive didn't get his way and did what a typical spoiled rich kid does...blame everybody else, takes away all the toys and goes home.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    RKCNDY said:

So basically, one executive didn't get his way and did what a typical spoiled rich kid does...blame everybody else, takes away all the toys and goes home.

He responded to Rogen by basically saying he loved the show but it was constantly the lowest rated show.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    JK_Livin said:

RKCNDY said:

He responded to Rogen by basically saying he loved the show but it was constantly the lowest rated show.
    If Brandon Tartikoff were still alive and still head of NBC and loved the show, even if it was the lowest rated show, he would have kept it on like he did with Cheers in its first couple seasons.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful