Options

fuck the BCS

peacocoaNMOpeacocoaNMO Posts: 99
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
jesus holy shit christ i'm pissed off. i know this discussion happens every year but this year my team (missouri) gets fucked so now it's my turn to rant. ok, mizzou finishes 6th in the bcs standings and gets an invitation to the cotton bowl. what the fuck is the cotton bowl? Kansas finishes 8th and goes to the orange bowl. Kansas had 1 loss this year - to missouri - 1 week ago. Illinois finishes 13th in the final bcs standings with a record of 9 -3 and goes to the rose bowl. missouri beat illinois the first game of the season. fuck the bcs.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    yeah you guys got Hosed big time. Titanic screw job for Missou.

Beat both teams that are in over you.

This will be the worst bowl season in history. None of the matchups are compelling.

UGA should be playing USC in the Rose.

How great would Missou vs. Hawaii in the Sugar be.....

Illinois? Seriously? Would have been a hell of a matchup in the Capital 1. This is pretty much the reason to write off all credibility for the Rose Bowl from here on out... they are a shill for the Big 10. It's a freaking crime they took Illinois in the worst year for the Big 10 possibly ever. Every team but Illinois was down and they lost to Iowa, Missouri and Terrible Michigan. The Rose, is not worth watching this year at all.

Kansas will be absolutely be slaughtered in the Orange. 109th ranked schedlue out of 118. Brilliant.

It's boring, and I hope the US responds by not watching this shit.

These guys do not watch football clearly.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Agreed. FUCK the BCS. Kansas doesn't play OU so now they get a BCS bid over Mizzou?! If Mizzou doesn't play the Big 12 Championship game they go to New Orleans. It amazes me that 95% of the college football fans want a playoff system but I often hear commentators say that playoffs won't happen, that the bowl system is too entrenched. Are we playing football in the Soviet Union or America?! What seems to be the problem here?! To be fair, after getting thumped by OU Mizzou probably isn't worthy of the championship game, but come on, to get knocked totally out of the BCS?
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    the bcs and bowls in general suck. it is all about how many fans will pay $$$ to go to the game (and stay nearby and spend, spend, spend) and not where the team ends up in the rankings.

it used to be cool when all the big bowl games were on new year's day and were not sponsored (although i understand that eventually had to happen).
  • Options
    i know i'm a little bit partial so it's good to see others agree with me. ok, i feel a little bit better. thank you for letting me rant.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    The BCS system is absolutely horrible. Every other college sport plus other NCAA football divisions use a play-off system. The problem with division I is that the heads of certain conferences, mainly the Big 10, don't want a play-offs sytems because then one of their schools will not be offered an automatic bid. It is all about money and has little to do with what is best for college football, the players, or the fans.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    jesus holy shit christ i'm pissed off. i know this discussion happens every year but this year my team (missouri) gets fucked so now it's my turn to rant. ok, mizzou finishes 6th in the bcs standings and gets an invitation to the cotton bowl. what the fuck is the cotton bowl? Kansas finishes 8th and goes to the orange bowl. Kansas had 1 loss this year - to missouri - 1 week ago. Illinois finishes 13th in the final bcs standings with a record of 9 -3 and goes to the rose bowl. missouri beat illinois the first game of the season. fuck the bcs.

Illinois being in has nothing to do with Mizzou. A conference can only have one at large team, so since Kansas got in, Mizzou was screwed. Illinois had nothing to do with Mizzou being left out.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

no doubt missouri got screwed. i know why illinois got the rose bowl bid, though i think that was a dumb decision and will make for a pretty one-sided game, it wasn't a huge surprise. but why kansas got picked over mizzou is beyond me.
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    The BCS system is absolutely horrible. Every other college sport plus other NCAA football divisions use a play-off system. The problem with division I is that the heads of certain conferences, mainly the Big 10, don't want a play-offs sytems because then one of their schools will not be offered an automatic bid. It is all about money and has little to do with what is best for college football, the players, or the fans.

yeah, i've heard the big hold outs are the big ten and the rose bowl commission. i think once the folks holding onto those reins retire, we will see a change.

nonetheless, it's possible to do an 8-team playoff that guarantees each major conference a bid. pick the conference champ from each major conference (big east, acc, big ten, big 12, sec, pac-10) and have 2 wild cards. this year i'd say hawaii and georgia. the regular season is still compelling because you have to win your conference, and undefeated season in a minor conference guarantees a wild card, and you've got a solid playoff that keeps the importance of the regular season. you'd have 7 games in the playoff to be distributed among the major bowls, and it runs 3 weeks in december and january. the big conferences have enough demand that they will still go to those games. tons of buckeyes will be shut out of the championship... you think the shutouts wouldn't travel to see another game if they had the chance?
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    yeah, i've heard the big hold outs are the big ten and the rose bowl commission. i think once the folks holding onto those reins retire, we will see a change.

nonetheless, it's possible to do an 8-team playoff that guarantees each major conference a bid. pick the conference champ from each major conference (big east, acc, big ten, big 12, sec, pac-10) and have 2 wild cards. this year i'd say hawaii and georgia. the regular season is still compelling because you have to win your conference, and undefeated season in a minor conference guarantees a wild card, and you've got a solid playoff that keeps the importance of the regular season. you'd have 7 games in the playoff to be distributed among the major bowls, and it runs 3 weeks in december and january. the big conferences have enough demand that they will still go to those games. tons of buckeyes will be shut out of the championship... you think the shutouts wouldn't travel to see another game if they had the chance?

I read an article where they proposed a 16 team play-off. All the major conferences would still have an automatic bid and then the rest would be based on ranking. The article went on to state how this would also help the communities in which some of these schools are based economically because like all play-offs some schools would have home field advantage, the only nutrual site would be the championship game.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mammasan wrote:
    I read an article where they proposed a 16 team play-off. All the major conferences would still have an automatic bid and then the rest would be based on ranking. The article went on to state how this would also help the communities in which some of these schools are based economically because like all play-offs some schools would have home field advantage, the only nutrual site would be the championship game.

that will never work though, becos there is a lot of money in the bowls. i think you have to keep some of that. though i admit i love the idea of making those self-righteous sec teams come up to play in a midwestern winter. see how fast they look then. plus, i think 16 teams does make it too long and too involved. it would make the regular season less compelling to an extent.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

the city of columbia is depressed today. it went from the most electric place to be to the exact opposite. you are right on. the BCS is dumb. we've known this for a long time. got to work hard at grabbing a silver lining out of this thing. we can easily win out next year and be right back in it. we need to destroy arkansas to finish 12-2 and boost our ranking for next year. the BCS might show us a little bit more love next year if we can finish out this year with a win. KU is a joke and i'm not sure why people love them but don't love us. maybe because KU has had a worse football history than MU? it still is not THAT amazing that they won as many as they did. they didn't play any good teams this year. we beat t. tech, A&M, illinois this year. oh well. it really really stings, but we've gotta move on. we'll be a better program in the long run for it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    quote]
    I guess they're too old and senile to remember that the most exciting Rose Bowls of recent vintage had at least one team from somewhere besides the Pac-10 and the Big Ten. :rolleyes:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    I agree. Mizzou got fucked, plain and simple.

I'm bummed that UGA got passed over in favor of Illinois for the Rose Bowl. Nothing against Illinois, but I would have loved to see that match-up. On the other hand, I am happy that Georgia gets the shot at a BCS game. At the beginning of the year, Georgia was being predicted to finish 3rd or even 4th in the SEC East, and the fact that they came through after two horrendous games is nothing to be too bummed about.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    it was a rough weekend for me. First, my Tennessee Vols choked in the championship game, then my Saints played there way right out of the playoffs with one of the dumbest playcalls i ever witnessed.

my football season is pretty much over. :(
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    unfortunately, college sports are a business

and the decisions are based on money not competitiveness

but you probably already knew that

ita only a matter of time before you will have to buy tickets to the local pop warner game
  • Options
    kirk barton is my hero. after his immortal comment earlier in the year about how "chicks dig the deep ball", he comes back with this plain english rundown of the championship game:

"In all likelihood we will be the underdog because pretty much everyone on earth hates us," offensive tackle Kirk Barton said Sunday night. "That's cool. We're going to be playing in Louisiana against LSU and SEC Nation. So, it's just one of those things we'll probably end up being the underdog, but that's fine with us. It'll be a lot of fun."
  • Options
    Ohio State would probably rather be the underdog after what happened last year.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    Ohio State would probably rather be the underdog after what happened last year.

definitely. they looked so complacent last year. they were over-hyped and it bit them.
  • Options
    the city of columbia is depressed today. it went from the most electric place to be to the exact opposite. you are right on. the BCS is dumb. we've known this for a long time. got to work hard at grabbing a silver lining out of this thing. we can easily win out next year and be right back in it. we need to destroy arkansas to finish 12-2 and boost our ranking for next year. the BCS might show us a little bit more love next year if we can finish out this year with a win. KU is a joke and i'm not sure why people love them but don't love us. maybe because KU has had a worse football history than MU? it still is not THAT amazing that they won as many as they did. they didn't play any good teams this year. we beat t. tech, A&M, illinois this year. oh well. it really really stings, but we've gotta move on. we'll be a better program in the long run for it.

so before mizzou lost to ou on sat, my family and i bought tix to the cotton bowl. my father in law was a razorback and my wife and i are longhorns(ie we hate ou) so we bought the tix on the razorback side and promised fatherinlaw that we would cheer for the razorbacks. now i kinda wished we bought tix for mizzou because we always cheer for BIG 12 (cept OU)

there are a ton of teams that got screwed. and lets face it ohio state getting in kinda sucks too. i know their conference is usually top notch but there isnt anyone big that ohio beat this year. and if you try and sell me that they beat mich this year, then you've lost the argument. oh and they also dont believe in a championship because they are pussies. if you are afraid of losing your chance at a national champion ship game then you dont think your team is the best. i think ohio should go to number 1 based on thier record, but then i think that teams should start playing 8 games or 7 because there is less chance of losing. i think lsu is a good team and that the championship game is decided but that many have a good argument that they shoulda gone. i understand why lsu jumped over georgia on the final day, but also realize because basically people (voters) said. I want to see lsu against ohio state, i dont want to see georgia play ohio state.

and last rant. for years stoops (OU) said he hates that big 12 has a champion ship game because he has to beat another team to get to the title, yet there have been years (like this one ) where he went to a great bowl game simply cause he won the champion ship. no championship = mizzou and kansas and OU at the cotton bowl.

BCS blows
    mean people suck!
    but nice people sw****w

• Options
    and lets face it ohio state getting in kinda sucks too. i know their conference is usually top notch but there isnt anyone big that ohio beat this year. and if you try and sell me that they beat mich this year, then you've lost the argument. oh and they also dont believe in a championship because they are pussies. if you are afraid of losing your chance at a national champion ship game then you dont think your team is the best. i think ohio should go to number 1 based on thier record, but then i think that teams should start playing 8 games or 7 because there is less chance of losing.

i agree with most of your points, but just want to point out it's not ohio state who doesn't believe in a championship or are pussies or are afraid of losing the chance. it's a big ten decision. it's not ohio state's call to make. the problem is the big ten is beholden to outdated traditions and their practices are hurting the league. they have rules in place mandating that they must finish all conference games by thanksgiving, which is why big ten teams have to pile up on cupcake opponents early in the season... becos there are no bye weeks and they know they need the early wins to continue to seem relevant when they sit for the last 2 weeks and watch everyone else play.

the other side is that osu-michigan is historically one of the best rivalry games out there in all of sports and they don't want to lose that the last week, so a championship that might diminish that game is bad for the big ten. the best solution would be to do what the pac-10 does (they don't have a championship either). you can add a bye week and another conference game, give up the ridiculous thanksgiving crap, and play the last round of games the same time everyone else does. osu-michigan (which 9 years outta 10 decides the big ten championship anyway) is still the last game of the season. you're just making the season run later so the teams are still ready to play in bowl games, force them to play another game against a conference opponent tougher than a crappy in-state aa team, and everyone wins. but the big ten is a slave to some of these traditions. i think it will change soon though, once new blood gets into big ten conference leadership.
  • Options
    BCS - obvious it has to go. Just gets worse every year.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Options

missouri gets beat not once but TWICE by the same team and you're complaining? missouri had to take care of business...they couldn't...they didn't win the conference...that's the price they pay...get over it.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Options
    missouri gets beat not once but TWICE by the same team and you're complaining? missouri had to take care of business...they couldn't...they didn't win the conference...that's the price they pay...get over it.

the point was, how many times did kansas play oklahoma? who won when kansas played mizzou? so why did kansas get a bid over mizzou? the only team that beat mizzou all year was oklahoma. so yeah, oklahoma is a better team. but in what world does that equate to kansas being a better team than mizzou?
  • Options
    gue_bariumgue_barium Posts: 5,515
    definitely. they looked so complacent last year. they were over-hyped and it bit them.

They looked awful, really. I think they may have had a lot more time off last year, too, than their opponent. I can see how that would effect a team's performance. Hopefully, they can remedy that problem this year and be ready.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
    except by express written permission of ©gue_barium, the author.
  • Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    They looked awful, really. I think they may have had a lot more time off last year, too, than their opponent. I can see how that would effect a team's performance. Hopefully, they can remedy that problem this year and be ready.

they had almost 2 months off between games last year. much longer break than florida. but it's the same difference as this year... an extra 2 weeks. that's the shit of the big ten sched. they looked like a team playing their first game of the season: slow, rusty, disorganized. i think tressel tried to keep them from peaking and they ended up lifeless. this year, i think the desire for redemption and the underdog thing will keep them sharper. i just dont know if it will be enough.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    maybe one of the weighted factors in their criteria is the College's draw appeal... meaning, which ever College will draw the greatest number of television viewers get extra points in the equation.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    maybe one of the weighted factors in their criteria is the College's draw appeal... meaning, which ever College will draw the greatest number of television viewers get extra points in the equation.

BCS is bottom line $, no question.

all posts by ©gue_barium are protected under US copyright law and are not to be reproduced, exchanged or sold
  • Options
    they had almost 2 months off between games last year. much longer break than florida. but it's the same difference as this year... an extra 2 weeks. that's the shit of the big ten sched. they looked like a team playing their first game of the season: slow, rusty, disorganized. i think tressel tried to keep them from peaking and they ended up lifeless. this year, i think the desire for redemption and the underdog thing will keep them sharper. i just dont know if it will be enough.

In spite of the BCS, I do look forward to this game quite a bit.

• Options
    gue_barium wrote:
    In spite of the BCS, I do look forward to this game quite a bit.

me too. it should be one of a small handful of good ones.
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 649
    with all the crazy shit that happened this year in college football, there was no doubt that someone would feel screwed when it came down to the bcs games.

who got hosed worse? missouri this year or wisconsin last year? pretty similar screw jobs if you ask me.

the bcs needs to go.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.