Options

Kicking the smokes

Vedder316Vedder316 Posts: 205
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Starting Chantix in 10 days. Any advice?
Many many wonderful shows, since day one.
Love ya Punkinfur
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    congrats. smokin is a horrible habit. have hope. dont give up!

"I think i'll throw, these cigarettes away!"
    Down, from State College 03(i think)
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    No advice by good luck :)

I think smoking is a disgusting habit. I don't know why I do it. Ever. I have made it extremely rare that I do though.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Never heard of Chantix. Seems it's a pill. My advice is to avoid fast food for a good while during the crunch times and for a few months afterwards, especially McDonalds. They put something in their food to trigger addiction, there's something wrong with their food. You need to detoxify your body thoroughly to relax the cravings. If you can manage to take in some saunas...do. Sweat out the toxins, it works. Of course exercise, and eating clean is going to give you the best chance, but if you aren't already doing that, that's a pretty hardcore change to pull off all at once.

I'm coming up on 2 years smoke free after smoking for 15yrs. Stay 100% clear of all people and places that have/contain cigarette smoke. It's not easy, and the cravings will be tough after meals for some weeks into the process, then you'll have the drunk cravings to deal with after that. Best advice is to clean up the diet, don't drink (get drunk), ramp up your determination to psycho mode if necessary. You'll feel so good after....so good. Clean. You'll quickly realize at the 6+ month mark that it is one of the biggest accomplishments you'll ever do for yourself. No exaggeration.

Best of luck.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Yea Chantix is medication. My wife is taking it and has bee smoke free for 1.5 weeks now. Still tough though. We eat pretty "clean" as is so that will be good. Iam currently in nursing school and I believe I read some where that kicking the sticks is roughly comparable to smack. Back to singing Lukin in the shower! thank for the "wishes"
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Suckers! Dum Dums and Tootsie Pops kept my friend from lighting up, and has been smoke free for over five years. Good luck...your lungs will thank you!
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    Yea Chantix is medication. My wife is taking it and has bee smoke free for 1.5 weeks now. Still tough though. We eat pretty "clean" as is so that will be good. Iam currently in nursing school and I believe I read some where that kicking the sticks is roughly comparable to smack. Back to singing Lukin in the shower! thank for the "wishes"

Forgot to mention, if you normally chew gum or have a coffee with a smoke, stop doing that, and just let the raw bitter taste of the cigarette present itself. You'll eventually "ricochet" out of the habit when your palate gets enough breaks away from it, and can fully appreciate the toxic presence of how gross the smoke really is. That helped for me when I relapsed. You'll get to a point that the addiction will lose out to common sense.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:

I think its required that all nurses smoke....seems like the majority of them do where I work.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    good luck..............what am i saying......luck is for people with no skill.

get ready for the fight of your life.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    ajedigecko wrote:
    good luck..............what am i saying......luck is for people with no skill.

get ready for the fight of your life.

Then FIGHT I will!!! Because last time i check I still got some skills! Yea nurses smoke. We nurse and we smoke. 1 less of those coming up. Already Hulking up for it.
    Love ya Punkinfur
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    Then FIGHT I will!!! Because last time i check I still got some skills! Yea nurses smoke. We nurse and we smoke. 1 less of those coming up. Already Hulking up for it.

It's all in your mind.....Winter is a good time to kick the habit...too cold to go outside to light up....usually some holiday sweets laying around to help your cravings. You can do it....there's no luck involved....you either do it or you don't
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    the most important thing of all is to be in a place where you absolutely are ready to quit-and you sound like you are! my bf is coming up on one year no ciggies (jan 1st) and he smoked heavily for years before that. so if he can do it, anyone can. just anticipate cravings (with coffee, while drinking, etc) and have something in place to distract you from that. best of luck!
  • Options
    dude...PLEASE be careful with Chantix....its no good. its success rate is pretty high, but its at a high price. my freinds cousin died on that stuff and it got quite a bit of publicity because he was pretty prominant in the dallas music scene. all i've ever read was bad stuff. it basically makes u halucinate and gives you terrible dreams and really fucks you up in the head man.

http://www.newsinferno.com/archives/1862 thats about my buddy's cousin. read it please.

these drugs are no good...a lot of the shit we take as medication isnt natural for our bodies...especially medication that is so directly involved in how your brain functions.
    all these burning battlefields are now behind us, life has brought us here together to remind us, that love will rise above it all and just keep growin, life keeps flowing and every moment starts right here with us
    -mason jennings
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Posts: 2,673
    I quit smoking cigs a couple years ago, it was easy for me. But ending the pot smoking thing was much harder. It's been 2 weeks.

But I'm feeling pretty good.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,329
    Dig in your heels and get ready for the ride of your life!

Google every non-smoking topic you can think of. 'Lung cancer' at google images is a good one.

There is a list of "recovery' symptoms... find them, memorize them and expect most of them if you have been smoking for more than 5 years.

Above all... realize that you CAN quit! It's hard but not impossible.

nice board: http://quitsmokingmessageboard.com/
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    Quit 8 years ago and still get a slight craving every now and then. It isn't really a craving for cigarettes per se but more like a craving for the state of mind that they put me in when I was smoking. I was a much harder worker/studier back when I was smoking for some reason.

Knowing that I can have a cigarette to look forward to helps keep me focused during those long hours at the computer. After quitting smoking, my grades took a big dump and I must've gained like 30 lbs.

So, essentially, the nic-fits are just one of the challenges of being smoke free. The others involve dealing with the parts of life that aren't as easy to cope with without cigarettes.
  • Options
    I took it up recently to start smoking when i'm drunk, bad idea. I'd never smoked before and now everytime i'm smashed I smoke about 5 cigs! TBH though, I went out at the weekend and didn't smoke once, it was hard but I managed it so couldn't begin to imagine how hard it is to do when you smoke 'properly'.

GOOD LUCK!! :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:

So, essentially, the nic-fits are just one of the challenges of being smoke free.

stop thinking about the challenges and focus on the REWARDS!
  • Options
    I took it up recently to start smoking when i'm drunk, bad idea. I'd never smoked before and now everytime i'm smashed I smoke about 5 cigs! TBH though, I went out at the weekend and didn't smoke once, it was hard but I managed it so couldn't begin to imagine how hard it is to do when you smoke 'properly'.

GOOD LUCK!! :D

a huge cyber-slap for you! ((smack))

dumb-ass! Don't smoke!
  • Options
    best wishes!

I think the key is that you want to quit. Not just talk about it, but truly honestly are sick and tired of smoking and really want to be 100% done. I'm about at that point myself. I've talked about quitting for about 3 years now and I'm finally at the point where I'm ready.

I too, am considering Chantix. I've known a handful of people that have stopped smoking due to Chantix. Actually, 9 and they all rave. Of course, it's still not easy but they said it was soooo helpful. They said the key was to drink a lot of h20. Definately talk to your Dr. and there is a lot of info out there about it.

But good luck and keep strong!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Vedder316 wrote:
    I believe I read some where that kicking the sticks is roughly comparable to smack.
    Ok, there is NO way that is true :) Smack withdrawal can kill you and even though it normally doesn't do that, it still makes you very ill. Nicotine withdrawal is more of a psychological problem. You feel crap and, sure, your body needs a fix too but it isn't going to require a methadone program or being locked in your room for a week or two.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    Vedder316 wrote:
    keep us informed.......i always like to hear about when people take the control back from a harmful substance.

you may or may not want to try this....put a system of consequences in place that you can adhere to, if you smoke after you said you would quit.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    Good choice...I don't have much advice, because I really think that if you're truly ready to quit, you don't need any advice...you just don't smoke anymore. It's only hard for the first couple weeks I think...after that, not smoking becomes habitual just like smoking did.
  • Options
    edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I used Chantix and it worked. I also read that book that McCready recommended - I think it's called the easy way to stop smoking or something like that.

I had no wierd dreams or hallucinations on Chanti. I wonder if that claim has anything to do w/mixing it w/other meds or something. It did make me a little nauseaous. that was the worst side effect it had. I only used it for 4 weeks.

I quit from Jan-July, then I went thru a bad break up an dpicked up the nasty habit again. Got back on Chantix in October and have not smoked since.

If you truly want to quit, I found it easy using this product. But you must want to quit and visualize smoking as something terrible and disgusting - I found that helped.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i think ill go for a smoke right now lol
  • Options
    Vedder316 wrote:
    Starting Chantix in 10 days. Any advice?

stick with it...one day at a time!
    congrats on wanting to quit. if you sincerely WANT to....you WILL! that really is *it*...the utmost desire to be a non-smoker. i just celebrated 4 years smoke-free december 1st. :D

good luck! :):):)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I used to smoke like a motherfucker then quit cold turkey....gl everyone..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i've been on again, off again for years. the time i had the greatest success was when i ate healthy breakfasts and lunches, then kept a stash of candy at work for when my skin started crawling. i always worked out every day after work. that crazy nervous energy has to go somewhere and i would exhaust myself that way. i got back in when i hit some tough times.

since then, still on and off. i always smoke during finals... i need some sort of outlet since i can't have a drink anymore. i tried to drop it over the weekend, but it's mid-finals and after 2 days i was hurting so bad i cracked. i swear to god, that cig was better than many orgasms i've had. but just so you don't think im trying to torture you, when i woke up this morning my throat was burning on fire and feels like shit and im already out of breath again.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    good luck... there are some natural tobacco products that don't have the addictive chemicals in them that you can hand roll, and no, I'm not talkin bout weed...
    this chit called bali shag or bali schwag(pretty sure it is shag, I just call it schwag) is pretty good!
  • Options
    poochpooch Posts: 15
    I wish you luck although all you really need is willpower I gave up twice without using any products it sucked but I got through it the only reason I went back on them was because I never really wanted to give them up in the first place ‘I know how sad’ smoking is a disgusting habit + gone way too costly to be keeping up
    Children are born with wings, teachers help them to fly
  • Options
    I tripped acid with one of my best friends on thanksgiving (his first time) and he kicked cigs for good. He said he just came to the realization that he didn't want to do it anymore and now has no desire for them.

Try using LSD if you're comfortable with it.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"