Options

I keep accidentally speaking Coventry-ish

Comments

• Options
    dunkman wrote:
    no, no.. not up north.. only Lancashire... in Newcastle its something else... as it is in Yorkshire :)

:rolleyes: See this is why I'm so grateful for the good ol'

http://maddoginthecity.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/cheeseburger.jpg
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Well, I do take my teacakes very seriously :)

No worries. Maybe you should come to Cov and Sarah and I will buy you a batch... not a batch of teacakes, just a batch... which is one bread roll :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    No worries. Maybe you should come to Cov and Sarah and I will buy you a batch... not a batch of teacakes, just a batch... which is one bread roll :)

OK and I shall bring along a teacake for you to try.

I must admit I have never heard anyone call them a batch before :confused:
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    OK and I shall bring along a teacake for you to try.

I must admit I have never heard anyone call them a batch before :confused:

Neither had I til 2 weeks ago :)

• Options
    :rolleyes:

Tsk... I doon't know what yer all talkin' abarrt. Us Cov lot doon't speak no diff-rent to uver people. Wunce you all get the 'ang of it, cov speak ain't nuffin.

by the way, it's batch, not 'cob' or 'roll'.... batch. It's a bread fing innit.

oh an' 'bath' is said lark 'baff' innit.

You people know nuffink.

luv an' 'ugs an' that.

~ disgruntled Coventry resident.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options

Tsk... I doon't know what yer all talkin' abarrt. Us Cov lot doon't speak no diff-rent to uver people. Wunce you all get the 'ang of it, cov speak ain't nuffin.

You people know nuffink.

luv an' 'ugs an' that.

Is a nuffin like a muffin ;)
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

• Options
    Is a nuffin like a muffin ;)

tsk... foool! It means NUFFINK! :rolleyes:

(oh, i'm finding this typing how I talk thing quite liberating! ;))
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Options
    tsk... foool! It means NUFFINK! :rolleyes:

(oh, i'm finding this typing how I talk thing quite liberating! ;))

Yeah I know, we be the same ere, always changing th for f's nowt wrong wi that

• Options
    Yeah I know, we be the same ere, always changing th for f's nowt wrong wi that

Nowt and owt... great Cov words innit.

:D

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

You people know nuffink.

luv an' 'ugs an' that.

thats dain ma heid in... gan oan and oan like that is nae guid tae nae cunt.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

and in true Coventry fashion....

WOT?! :confused:

• Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    and in true Coventry fashion....

WOT?! :confused:
    Translation for Sian:
    dunkman wrote:

'You're doing my head in old girl. Going on and on like that is no good for anyone, old bean'
    ;)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    great! now i got all veez english accents in me 'ead, fanks you lot. :D

didnt being sent to coventry mean some sort of punishment way back when?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Translation for Sian:

'You're doing my head in old girl. Going on and on like that is no good for anyone, old bean'
    ;)

ten oot ah fuckin ten hen :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    ;)

*narrows eyes and looks suspicious*

'e never said 'old bean'.

Tell 'im to talk Engerlish or I ain't talkin' to 'im agen.

• Options
    great! now i got all veez english accents in me 'ead, fanks you lot. :D

didnt being sent to coventry mean some sort of punishment way back when?

To send someone to Coventry is a British phrase meaning to ostracise somebody,specifically to not talk to them.It was sometimes used as a way of punishing people who,for example,would not join a strike in a factory for better pay and conditions. Sometimes children use it as a way of bullying others

well there you go :)
  • Options
    *narrows eyes and looks suspicious*

'e never said 'old bean'.

Tell 'im to talk Engerlish or I ain't talkin' to 'im agen.

talk Englisher?

read the sig wee lassie
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dunkman wrote:
    To send someone to Coventry is a British phrase meaning to ostracise somebody,specifically to not talk to them.It was sometimes used as a way of punishing people who,for example,would not join a strike in a factory for better pay and conditions. Sometimes children use it as a way of bullying others

well there you go :)

gracias. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    talk Englisher?

read the sig wee lassie

Hahaha! :D Legend.

• Options
    Anyone watch Gavin and Stacey? Very funny programme but I laugh my arse off every time Nessa says 'Wos occurin'?' It's fab.

• Options
    Anyone watch Gavin and Stacey? Very funny programme but I laugh my arse off every time Nessa says 'Wos occurin'?' It's fab.

I never sin that program but I bin sayin' "Wot's occurin'?" for years! :eek:

(I do apologise, but I can't help typing in my delightful Coventry accent in this thread! :D)

• Options
    I never sin that program but I bin sayin' "Wot's occurin'?" for years! :eek:

(I do apologise, but I can't help typing in my delightful Coventry accent in this thread! :D)

Is it a Cov thing too? No fucking way, I'm gonna have a larf with that one :D

• Options
    Is it a Cov thing too? No fucking way, I'm gonna have a larf with that one :D

I doon't know. Me and me work mate 'ave bin sayin' it fer years and we bof from cov innit.

EDIT: We say it 'Laff'.

• Options
    I doon't know. Me and me work mate 'ave bin sayin' it fer years and we bof from cov innit.

EDIT: We say it 'Laff'.

I know ya do, gimme a braaek I'm joost catchin' oop! :D

• Options
    I know ya do, gimme a braaek I'm joost catchin' oop! :D

innit.

• Options
    innit.

Naaaaaaaa' mean bruv?

• Options
    Naaaaaaaa' mean bruv?

I do. Safe innit, safe.

• Options
    I do. Safe innit, safe.

Dis thread's nuff jokes, innit.

• Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Mark, if you're picking up this accent after a week and a half, I really, REALLY feel for you. Do you pick up accents easily? Thankfully, I don't seem to. After four years of living in Birmingham, no one has ever said that I have any kind of brummie twang, and so far, I can say the same of Coventry after living here for...3 months. Not that there's anything WRONG with the Coventry accent...but there isn't much right with it either. ;)

As for Coventry being horrible...it's just a city. Most cities are horrible. Especially London (IMO...I hate that place). It has it's good parts and it's bad parts. Granted, there's a distinct lack of any sort of logic in the town centre, and I can't find anything apart from Ikea, which you can see from Sweden, but i'll let the off as they got bomed to fook in some sort of war. :p

No matter how many times I hear the word 'batch' in reference to a bread roll, it doesn't fit. Alarms go off in my head...cuz it's not a fecking batch! I work in Birmingham and I heard people arguing about it the other week.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    audiodave wrote:
    As for Coventry being horrible...it's just a city. Most cities are horrible. Especially London (IMO...I hate that place). It has it's good parts and it's bad parts. Granted, there's a distinct lack of any sort of logic in the town centre, and I can't find anything apart from Ikea, which you can see from Sweden, but i'll let the off as they got bomed to fook in some sort of war. :p
    I know what you mean, and of course all cities have bad parts but they usually have redeeming factors too, I've just never found that in Coventry. Apart from Sian and Sarah of course :) London is absolutely horrible in parts but it literally has everything you could ever need. Coventry just always kind of depressed me as a kid, you know when you have places your parents would drag you to and you just knew it was going to be a bad day? :D

Having said that, this is all based on when I was a kid. I haven't been for a couple of years. Maybe the fun is there when you look for it? :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"