Options

I keep accidentally speaking Coventry-ish

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Chime wrote:
    Well I'd never heard 'batch' until Sian insisted that was what they were called :rolleyes: ... but where I shop (:coughs: Waitrose ... and Mr Warburton agrees) a 'batch' is a loaf of bread so I don't believe her :p

I'm from t'other side of the Midlands and it's always been cob to me,

A butty can be on a cob or a sandwich

this conversation is mental.. its a feckin roll!!! :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    I dunno.. i love where i live. It has it shortcomings, but i do love it here.

Well I guess I feel the way I do about Windsor because I lived there while I was still under my parents' roof.. I have a lot of affection for the towns I've lived in since.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

Too right!
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    dunkman wrote:

Shhh you it's your piece :p
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I guess my lil joke didn't make much sense in a thread about Europe.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    When you start saying "fixin' to eat" then you know you're in trouble! :D;)

:D

happy now? ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    dunkman wrote:
    :D

happy now? ;)

Very much so.
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Chime wrote:
    Well I'd never heard 'batch' until Sian insisted that was what they were called :rolleyes : ... but where I shop (:coughs: Waitrose ... and Mr Warburton agrees) a 'batch' is a loaf of bread so I don't believe her : p

I'm from t'other side of the Midlands and it's always been cob to me,

A butty can be on a cob or a sandwich
    it's cob here :confused: these people have nooooooooooooo sense! :cool:

There's plenty here which makes no sense... sometimes I feel like I'm in one of those stupid things where everythings just weird :D

I'll never get the accent... but I was quite dead tonight and I moved from one table to the other and was so dim that I couldn't remember if I brought my drink or not. Looked to the other table and thought this guy was gonna drink my pint... was telling this story and saying 'and I was gonna go over there' and one of the lads said 'see, you've been too long in kidderminster already' :D but it wasn't cos of the accent lol.

And yeh, a batch is a loaf :cool:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    a cob is something that corn grows on... a batch is an especially crusty loaf of bread... a bread roll is a fucking roll of bread :cool:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding like I really care (there are far more pressing issues in the world), in Coventry, any bread roll of any description is called a 'batch'. Or do I need to get Sarah on here to verify? :mad: :p

• Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    OH, BY THE WAY....

What I cannot stomach is the fact that here, a bread roll is called a 'batch'.

A single bread roll.

So, a batch of bread rolls is called a batch of batches. What's up with that?

Sarah's daughter said to me 'What do you call them then?'

'Bread rolls.'

'They're called batches though.'

'What does it say on the packet?'

'Bread rolls.'

'Exactly.'

after this post.. this thread made very little sense to me.

:confused:

what the fock is a bread roll?

glad you're enjoying your whereabouts though Mark. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    eMMI wrote:

http://www.delicedefrance.co.uk/dynamic/img/Scotch%20Morning%20Roll.jpg

:)

bread roll, a good ol' alternative to a sandwich

• Options
    eMMI wrote:

glad you're enjoying your whereabouts though Mark. :D

I think thay are talking about something that I would call a teacake!!
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    I think thay are talking about something that I would call a teacake!!

Aaarrrrgggjgjgjgghhhhgf=fff

But doesn't a teacake have currants and sugar in and stuff?

And you don't put ham in a teacake, or cheese, or tuna mayonnaise.... do ya?

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    So I'm on holiday for two weeks in the place I'll be moving to at the start of next year. Already I keep pronouncing a few words in the Midlands accent, having hung out with my girlfriend and family so much. I'm taking bets on how long it'll take to change my accent completely when I live here :D

Also, the longer I'm here, the more I realise I probably sound like Jamie Oliver or sumfing. Pucka.

do you sound like ozzy osbourne?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Aaarrrrgggjgjgjgghhhhgf=fff

But doesn't a teacake have currants and sugar in and stuff?

And you don't put ham in a teacake, or cheese, or tuna mayonnaise.... do ya?

er, a hot cross bun has currants and sugar and yes I would put all of the above in a teacake.
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

• Options
    er, a hot cross bun has currants and sugar and yes I would put all of the above in a teacake.

Yep, a hot cross bun does have those things but so does, to my knowledge, a teacake :o

• Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838

I knew what you meant hlf ;)

No cross on a teacake surfy :cool:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1371967/2/istockphoto_1371967_toasted_teacake.jpg
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Chime wrote:

I know teacakes dont have crosses on them, but neither do they have currants. That is not a teacake in that picture.

• Options

• Options
    I know teacakes dont have crosses on them, but neither do they have currants. That is not a teacake in that picture.

surfy is indeed correct. I was in Lancaster and they called them teacakes.

anyone fancy a barm? what about a stottie?

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071212075141AA11buO
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

LOL... fair enough, oop nooorth a bread roll is called a tea cake :)

I'm now going to research barms and stotties ;)

• Options
    dunkman wrote:

Thankyou,

darn southerners :mad:

• Options
    Thankyou,

darn southerners :mad:

Now now, let's not let this be about a southern/northern divide...

This is a pucker thread, innit, and I wanna keep it that way mate, know what I mean? :) Now I'm off to watch the changing of the guard.

• Options
    Now now, let's not let this be about a southern/northern divide...

This is a pucker thread, innit, and I wanna keep it that way mate, know what I mean? :) Now I'm off to watch the changing of the guard.

Twat

• Options
    Twat

Seriously? What brought that on?

• Options
    Seriously? What brought that on?

Sorry, was a joke :o

You sounded like Jamie Oliver :p

• Options
    LOL... fair enough, oop nooorth a bread roll is called a tea cake :)

I'm now going to research barms and stotties ;)

no, no.. not up north.. only Lancashire... in Newcastle its something else... as it is in Yorkshire :)
  • Options
    Sorry, was a joke :o

You sounded like Jamie Oliver :p

LOL, OK then, sorry... for a second I thought I was being attacked for being very opinionated about bread rolls. I was thinkin 'Man, you know how to pick your fights' :p

• Options
    LOL, OK then, sorry... for a second I thought I was being attacked for being very opinionated about bread rolls. I was thinkin 'Man, you know how to pick your fights' :p

Well, I do take my teacakes very seriously :)