Options

Is anyone on here clinically depressed?

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited April 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
Please don't dismiss this as just another 'Oh so depressing thread.' I'm just curious. How do you know if you are? What are the signs?
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-life_crisis

This is my depression right here, I have every single characteristic from this except hating my job
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Please don't dismiss this as just another 'Oh so depressing thread.' I'm just curious. How do you know if you are? What are the signs?

if depression = grief.. then yes i have been depressed twice twice in my life deeply..

if grief does not = depression then no i have not been depressed deeply in my life.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I think this might be more of a bi-polar thing but this sums me up:

Homer: I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all! The terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles! Sure, I might offend a few of the blue-noses with my cocky stride and musty odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?"
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    I think being clinically depressed means that you're unhappy for no real reason? (That will prolly make a lot of people angry).
  • Options
    I think being clinically depressed means that you're unhappy for no real reason? (That will prolly make a lot of people angry).

No.. that's definitely part of it as far as I've heard/read.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    I haven't a clue how you tell, but my doc said i was, and told me to take 2 different pills daily to deal with it, but to be honest i find they really don't do much.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
    I'm a therapist.... maybe we can meet before the Camden show, (and the 2 MSG shows if you need a followup) and discuss whats seems to be depressing you!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    I'm a therapist.... maybe we can meet before the Camden show, (and the 2 MSG shows if you need a followup) and discuss whats seems to be depressing you!

I'd love to, unfortunately I'm in the UK and unable to make any shows.. Thankyou for the offer though, honestly.

• Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    yep, im bi-polar. the signs are different for everyone. if you would like i will look sometime this weekend for some good info, and send you the links.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    the wolf wrote:
    yep, im bi-polar. the signs are different for everyone. if you would like i will look sometime this weekend for some good info, and send you the links.

Any info would be greatly received, thanks. :)

• Options
    No.. that's definitely part of it as far as I've heard/read.

Although, saying that. You have been through a hard time lately and it's probably only natural for it to take a while to get over. :)
  • Options
    Although, saying that. You have been through a hard time lately and it's probably only natural for it to take a while to get over. :)

Yeah.. that's what I'm weighing up.. I dunno *shrug*

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    Any info would be greatly received, thanks. :)
    hey harmless???

i just have to ask....none of my business but i am asking anyway....

in the last month or so have you been getting professional therapy???
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    hey harmless???

i just have to ask....none of my business but i am asking anyway....

in the last month or so have you been getting professional therapy???

No.. probably should've done..

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,796
    No.. probably should've done..
    well my friend....

i think it is time.......

obviously im not an expert...

but i think you need to go talk to someone....actually i am positive you need to go talk to someone...

for years and years from what i have seen on this board ....you have been nothing but a POSITIVE person...ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS!!!

and it crushes me to see you so FUCKING SAD.......

i think going to seek some professional help would be a step in the right direction...

go get some help my friend......i think myself and everyone here misses the old harmless...
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    I am clinically depressed and have been since the age of 15 or 16...However for everyone it's different, and it can be different on yourself as well.

Through the years it's had it's own progression as far as the ways it's effected my attitude, emotions and mental states at times. As I've progressed through life, so has it.

Your best bet would be to talk to a few different docs if you can and get their opinions, and if you feel comfortable with any of them, and feel they struck something within you, progress with that person, or move on with your search if you don't feel fulfilled with anyone, or if you feel that maybe you were just going through a phase and they made you realize you're okay for now, you can just move on. :)

As of now, I'm not on any meds, and only when I had to switch a doctor in the last five years, that person tried to immediately put me on them, but I didn't take them and was able to work out a schedule where I could go back to my normal doc. As I get older I notice I can control it a bit more as long as I've got my open forum on a weekly basis. I just found that open connection and it really helped once I got used to everything and grew older.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I have been diagnosed before and I was told I have seasonal affective disorder and it stems my depression. I'm genuinely a happy guy, but after college I started to get really down and sometimes I found myself in the darkest of places that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I go to a counselor and it's helped me so much because I am now able to understand why I think the way I do about the things that get me down. I go like once a month or so, and I haven't felt really bad in close to 2 years, so it works, and I'm not on any meds so I'm proud of myself.

I think everyone goes through some sort of the blues though, it's just how you plan to manage it. I let it eat at me and one day I had an anxiety attack and it was all downhill from there.
  • Options
    PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,014
    if you think you have a problem see a doctor. i think people need to start treating their mental health the same as physical. when you have a sore throat for a week you see a doctor, so if you feel like crap in your head for a week, why not see a doctor? people rush to the doctor for nearly every kind of illness, even the common cold! but when it comes to mental health it seems they stick to the 'it will get better' idea. will it? has it?
  • Options
    comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    If you think you're depressed you probably are...but ultimately if you feel lousy that's enough reason to get some help, regardless of the "official" diagnosis Speak to a therapist and get an assessment...counseling can really be helpful...especially if you've gone through some difficult life situations recently. I hope things get better for you :)
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    If you think you're depressed you probably are...but ultimately if you feel lousy that's enough reason to get some help, regardless of the "official" diagnosis Speak to a therapist and get an assessment...counseling can really be helpful...especially if you've gone through some difficult life situations recently. I hope things get better for you :)

listen to comebackgirl...she knows of what she speaks.
    and believe it or not, speedy offered excellent advice as well. ;)

seriously....just go over ALL the thread topics you have started in the last say 6 months, read your first posts...and i would say it's safe to say...in the nicest way possible...it would be an EXCELLENT idea to seak professional help. therapy can work WONDERS...if you are open to it.

good luck! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    I have been depressed on and off and have been on meds that didn't make me feel like I thought I should, so I got off of them and withdrew, (I went off without the doc's ok) so I didn't think I needed to be on any meds legal or not that gave me that problem so I just never went back.

But to answer your question, I truly think it is when all is seemingly ok in your life, no major issues and you cannot seem to shake the blues. Now, when you are feeling that way, though, it is important to really know if you are truly unhappy and need to change your life even though others might say,"oh, no just go be happy"........(to which I answer that they must have missed their life calling to be a therapist or a shrink........).

sometimes we all need to get sad so that we can change our lives for the better. why do you ask, may I ask?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I have suffered from depression all my life, but didn't realize that I needed help until one day I just couldn't really get out of bed. It's hereditary for me and unfortunately there has been one suicide, and one attempted suicide in my immediate and my extended family. There's really no reason for anyone to get to that point with all the help that is out there now.

I've been through hypnosis, pyschotherapy and taken meds for quite a while now. While I wish the therapy would work alone for me, it just doesn't hold. Depression is actually a chemical thing - your body isn't producing a chemical that the psyche needs. If it weren't for the meds, I don't know where I'd be. Because of them, I've been able to become a person who is happy with who I've become and am able to live a life completely independent of any emotional crutches. Everyone deserves that opportunity.

So talk to your family doctor and ask him to recommend someone to see. Be careful of the meds they prescribe because some of them could be completely wrong for you and there's no way for the Doctor to know until the adverse effects occur. If you can live a better life without the meds, go for it. The meds themselves can push other buttons.

Anyway, sorry to be so long here but this is a pretty important thing in your life. Find a doctor you trust and be completely open with him/her. You've got everything to gain.
    Be well!
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    Gossard_Is_GodGossard_Is_God Posts: 1,031
    Since I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in 2003, ive suffered from depression, was crying everyday for no reason, thinking about death and what way I would like to die etc, took me about 2 years to do anything about it, was on amitriptilyne for months, then moved started taking fluoxetene, ive stopped taking them now, i still have my downs, but I cope alot better now.
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Last thursday evening I dislocated the index finger of my right hand, I was in the bathroom and slapped a shelf with an open palm. There was no real physical pain involved but it appeared a little gruesome. Thing is, I haven't the faintest what was in my mind that led me into the action of striking the shelf at all. I've punched a few walls before with a fist, now that I know hurts, so the open palm bit I've sussed!
    When I was 17 I visited a doctor claiming to be depressed, he more or less refused me any medication. Always been morbid fucker, if I'd had access to a gun in my school years especially then....whoa! yet I was never picked on and outwardly perhaps have appeared happy and contented, or maybe just an asshole! Hmmm, yeah I find events and situations of the past mount up on maybe a monthly basis and I feel set to explode. Its depression but it is something I can keep reined in so as not to be a bastard, being introverted by nature helps with that. Relationships I've destroyed, though usually they'd of been better never initiated in the first place and besides I do have friends, even those who would never in the slightest tak em efor the misanthrorpist I am.
    Anyway, I've had a few beers tonight and its late, my fingers in a cast so this has been more of a mission than usual. I haven't nearly said all I could on this subject and some prior posts here have more precisely expressed how I feel than I can manage. I'm posting this babble!
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,915
    I've suffered from depression since I was at least eighteen. That was the first time I sought medical treatment. There was no ;particular reason for my depression. It was diagnoxed as a chemical imbalance - a lack of seretonin. Off and on for years now I've gone into deep depressions for no apparent reason - usually I catch them before it get too bad. These past few months, due to a number of factors, I was caught completely unaware. It wasn't until I started planning effective ways to kill myself without causing a lot of fuss (must be the woman in me) that I realised that I needed professional and medical help. I also started obsessive behaviours, which I've never suffered from before, these situations made me aware of where I currently was mentally in my life. I'm now under the care of and excellent doctor and started talk therapy at my uni. Unfortunately, I'm still not sleeping, but I WILL NOT give up and give in to this disease. Everyday I try a little harder. Today was the first day in two months that I have opened the curtains and the blinds in my flat. Trying to let in a little light. Sorry to go on, I have to admit I'm a lot drunk right now - not good with the meds, but at least it lets me sleep. Good luck Mark, please get some professional help. There are good doctors in the NHS - you just have to find one who will listen and understand. DO NOT GIVE UP ON YOURSELF. PM me if you want to talk.

S.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    humans are silly
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,915
    hodge wrote:
    humans are silly

Fuck humans - I'm an animal!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    This thread makes me depressed.....:eek: Seriously!! You all are too good to feel so lousy!! :(
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter-life_crisis

This is my depression right here, I have every single characteristic from this except hating my job

Holy shit...that pretty much nails it. Glad I'm not the only one...