I'm hitting 'The Wall'

2»

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    And you said you knew fuck all about art :rolleyes: I call bullshit!

Yeah I get your criticism of Rothko - I guess I like what he was trying to do; it was conceptual, about the idea rather than the product. He was expressing pure emotion and thoughts through stripping away all the unnecessary crap of painting to its purest form, colour and shape. His style has become so common-place it's even found its way into IKEA mass-production, but in its day it was pretty groundbreaking.

Pollock is fantastic; I love the way that his paintings appear to be such a mess, but look harder and they're actually very carefully composed and balanced.
    Well, I know a very small amount about a very small amount of art :) I bullshit well. It's interesting that you say that about IKEA and mass-production. My good friend who amuses me greatly, and is an artist was being her cynical arsey self about Rothko and the Rothko room in the Tate today. She decided eventually that it "isn't that bad... I suppose. They'd be quite nice hung up in a coffee shop. That's what it is, good coffee shop art", which I found hilarious :D How amazingly dismissive of a reknowned artist.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Well, I know a very small amount about a very small amount of art :) I bullshit well. It's interesting that you say that about IKEA and mass-production. My good friend who amuses me greatly, and is an artist was being her cynical arsey self about Rothko and the Rothko room in the Tate today. She decided eventually that it "isn't that bad... I suppose. They'd be quite nice hung up in a coffee shop. That's what it is, good coffee shop art", which I found hilarious :D How amazingly dismissive of a reknowned artist.

There would be NO 'coffee shop art' if it wasn't for Rothko... whether you think that's a good or a bad thing doesn't matter, he was a pioneer. There was nothing like it before him.

And do you mean the big deep red rothko room? It's far more dark and brooding than any coffee shop I've ever seen. Even if it is the same colour as Costa :D
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    There would be NO 'coffee shop art' if it wasn't for Rothko... whether you think that's a good or a bad thing doesn't matter, he was a pioneer. There was nothing like it before him.

And do you mean the big deep red rothko room? It's far more dark and brooding than any coffee shop I've ever seen. Even if it is the same colour as Costa :D
    I personally don't mind Rothko, I'm just never really moved by his paintings. I respect him as a pioneer though, and some of his theories on art were very interesting, I'd just prefer it if he applied them to paintings that interested me more :D I do mean that room yes :) It IS a similar colour to Costa, the only remotely classy chain of coffee shop I can think of :p
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I personally don't mind Rothko, I'm just never really moved by his paintings. I respect him as a pioneer though, and some of his theories on art were very interesting, I'd just prefer it if he applied them to paintings that interested me more :D I do mean that room yes :) It IS a similar colour to Costa, the only remotely classy chain of coffee shop I can think of :p

Indeed. It's 2:46, I'm off to bed. Have a good one.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

Indeed. It's 2:46, I'm off to bed. Have a good one.
    I chose the exact same moment to leave :)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I chose the exact same moment to leave :)

Weird. How's tricks today?

Weird. How's tricks today?
    Agreeable. Should be going out with some friends from my course tonight. Not sure where yet but the londoners should know somewhere good to go. As long as it's not Greenwich, I'm happy :D Last time I went there I nearly got arrested and the drinks were obscenely expensive. What about you? The Wall still standing strong?
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Agreeable. Should be going out with some friends from my course tonight. Not sure where yet but the londoners should know somewhere good to go. As long as it's not Greenwich, I'm happy :D Last time I went there I nearly got arrested and the drinks were obscenely expensive. What about you? The Wall still standing strong?

The Wall's still there my friend, but it's got a mural painted on it today, so it's not so bad looking at it - maybe I just needed some sleep.

• memememe Posts: 4,693
    i realised what a fool i had been trying to grab something i was incapable of having.

I think I need help with that
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • meme wrote:

I've been there.. too many times

I've been there.. too many times

I don't know if it's worse to be there "too many times" or to be there one time, but for 15 years
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    meme wrote:

well you know, i dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing that i have no problem whatsoever stepping off that metaphorical cliff. but sometimes i do more so for convenience sake rather than because tis truly what i need. my judgement gets a little clouded when i am in certain spaces and what seems like a good idea at the time, turns out to be not so, in the long run. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    well you know, i dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing that i have no problem whatsoever stepping off that metaphorical cliff. but sometimes i do more so for convenience sake rather than because tis truly what i need. my judgement gets a little clouded when i am in certain spaces and what seems like a good idea at the time, turns out to be not so, in the long run. :)

This morning I think it's better to step off the wrong side of the cliff than to spend your life wondering which way to go.

All good truants must decide.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    meme wrote:
    This morning I think it's better to step off the wrong side of the cliff than to spend your life wondering which way to go.

All good truants must decide.

well.. yesterday i made a decision that has taken me way outside my comfort zone. and i am pleased that i made that decision. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    The Wall's still there my friend, but it's got a mural painted on it today, so it's not so bad looking at it - maybe I just needed some sleep.
    :) what a wonderful way of putting it. good to hear.