I've just figured out the iPod sales scam

2»

Comments

• audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Some people are into music more than others. If you don't listen to a lot of music, a smaller iPod, or any other mp3 player, will suffice. If you love music, listen to it a lot, and have a lot of it, then I don't see the point of buying a small iPod (or mp3 player). That's the reason they make the bigger ones...to hold more music.

I don't really think it's a scam. I have an 80gig iPod, which due to annoying circumstances I can't add any music onto at the moment. I think there's about 20gigs on it at the moment, but it will take me a few years before it's full and I need to buy a new one, if I even do buy a new one, by which time the technology will have advanced, they will be smaller, and iPods may be completely obsolete anyway.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • If you order within the next 10 minutes, your iPod Gigante will come pre-loaded with this gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngRq82c8Baw

That was hilarious!

And now I'm hungry for tapas.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eMMI wrote:

Thank you, I almost went one full day without seeing Bono's face....
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Thank you, I almost went one full day without seeing Bono's face....

you're welcome. :p
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Now all I can think is of people bragging about having Gigantic Bonos in their pockets...
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    Now all I can think is of people bragging about having Gigantic Bonos in their pockets...

lol...

no no no...Bonos Gigantes
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    THe only way it's a 'scam' is that the most convenient way of getting music onto itunes (and thus onto the ipod) is through the itunes store, but that's just good marketing sense.

Saying buying a mp3 player encourages you to buy more music is like saying buying a DVD player encourages you to buy more DVDs... of course it does, but it's not a scam.

Why people buy small iPods is beyond me. The difference between a 8Gb and a 80Gb is like £20! Okay, some people may not need that 80Gb but 8Gb severely limits the amount of video you can have as well. Doesn't take much at all to need more than 8Gb. Might as well buy the bigger one, not like it's heavy or gigantic.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Ooooh - about 15 posts too late.:p

oops i missed it. i hope the original writer isnt too upset that i stole such an original joke.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Now all I can think is of people bragging about having Gigantic Bonos in their pockets...
    Hey, it ain't bragging if it's true...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:
    oops i missed it. i hope the original writer isnt too upset that i stole such an original joke.

Ooh! Burn!

;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Ooh! Burn!

;)

i have to stop with the terrible jokes today.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Hey, it ain't bragging if it's true...

I'll leave it up to someone else to make the obvious "Bono's a wanker" joke.:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    fowls wrote:
    THe only way it's a 'scam' is that the most convenient way of getting music onto itunes (and thus onto the ipod) is through the itunes store, but that's just good marketing sense.

Saying buying a mp3 player encourages you to buy more music is like saying buying a DVD player encourages you to buy more DVDs... of course it does, but it's not a scam.

Why people buy small iPods is beyond me. The difference between a 8Gb and a 80Gb is like £20! Okay, some people may not need that 80Gb but 8Gb severely limits the amount of video you can have as well. Doesn't take much at all to need more than 8Gb. Might as well buy the bigger one, not like it's heavy or gigantic.

agreed!

however, i do think the original post was made in humor. :) of course, i could be wrong about that too...who knows? :p

that said, yea...i cannot see getting a nano, but that's me. i DID have a 20gb ipod and was perfectly pleased...but when that finally died, my choices were a nano...or right on up to 80 gb. seemed a no brainer to me. went with the 80 gb, no thought at all! LOVE it!

now, someone like my husband....he simply likes having multiple ipods. :rolleyes: he STILL owns, and uses, his orginal B&W screen 20 gb...he then later bought a nano to use for his 'band stuff'.....and just yesterday in fact received his early birthday present, an 8 gb ipod touch. for him, he likes the smaller size for the commute, doesn't mind loading/changing the music on it - me, i can't be bothered - and he wanted it for internet access at work.

so yea...differing perspectives. :p
    and we have way too many ipods for 2 people. :D
    i also have a shuffle! that i won from work tho, haha. altho even my 80gb - i had won a 30 gb ipod which i sold on ebay - and basically threw in $30 and got my 80! wooohoo!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• now, someone like my husband....he simply likes having multiple ipods. :rolleyes:

In the context of this thread... :o:p
  • SVRDhand13 wrote:
    i have to stop with the terrible jokes today.

Not in my thread you don't. :p

• decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    In the context of this thread... :o:p

yes well, variety is the spice of life eh? ;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• yes well, variety is the spice of life eh? ;)

I couldn't possibly comment.:p
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Here's the scam.

I've got an 8gig iPod which fits a fair amount of my favourite stuff on it. But because it's all within my grasp, a fair chunk of my collection, I'm getting bored of the entire lot.. and it's only been a few months.

The scam: Buy iPod. Be entertained for a few months. Get bored of music. Buy more music. Buy new, bigger iPod. It's a never ending cycle. You eventually have an iPod which is the size of a naval submarine.

Would you rather carry around all of your music with you instead of the iPod?