St. Patrick's Day

Comments

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Goddammit show some love here people!

It's a party day no matter what color, creed, ethnicity you are...the Irish welcome all!!!

Dammit now I'm all fired up. Your negativity make me want to practice this weekend for next weekend!!!

(writes liquor store items list...)
    I love to turn you on
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Goddammit show some love here people!

It's a party day no matter what color, creed, ethnicity you are...the Irish welcome all!!!

Dammit now I'm all fired up. Your negativity make me want to practice this weekend for next weekend!!!

(writes liquor store items list...)

enjoy !!!!
    sorry stevie im not irish lol ;)
  • haha, i have surgery a few day before the 17th. I'll have to take a break from the pain killers and switch to a different pain killer :D
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • pjscreamerpjscreamer Posts: 599
    Da Kids fav day of the year Ameteur day sure but it's a full day of doing one of da kids fav things DRINKING.Go to the parade every year and hit the local gin mills in town then watch one of his Fav movies Boondock Saints.http://www.youtube.com keyword Boondock saints the whole movies up there.Awesome
    Next year da kids gonna head down south to spend Paddys day in Savannah Ga 4 Paddys day after NY it's da biggest St.Paddys day in da us.Enjoy da DAy all.
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
  • Exactly!

I mean why doesn't everyone just celebrate jewish holidays, italian holiday, and chinese holidays as well? :confused:

The only Holiday that I partake in which I have no affiliation with is Christmas. I believe in Jesus, but not Christianity.

because they're not as fun? (or at least don't involve as much alcohol!) :)

but really, yom kippur (did I spell that right?) is much more of a religious celebration, so if you're not jewish, there's not much to it. but as for the more "fun" holidays, I've celebrated chinese new year and persian new year with friends of those origins. In my family basically all our holidays are "italian" in the way we do things, so I've always relished the day I get to celebrate the irish side. I have an italian last name, so my mum was always afraid that we would identify more with our italian heritage and always got really into st. paddy's day and whatnot to try to remind us that we're irish too I think!
    3 days 'til the parties begin...ahhhh homemade baileys....

YEAHHHH!!!!!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    Jennytree wrote:
    So your celebrating the misery of thousands of Irish immigrants in a foreign land?! :p

Go celebrate it, be happy, have fun! But people who pretend to be Irish for one day, talking about leprechauns and guiness and saying "top o' the mornin" just bugs the tits off me! Its just condesending to be something that you (people) know nothing about. Some are so naive, and have no real idea about what Ireland is actually like these days.

Sorry, I'm ranting!
    I used to think like that til I realised how patronising it is :o (no offense jenny) but when you live abroad your Irishness ironically can tend to come out much stronger. If I lived abroad and had kids there they'd be WELL aware of everything Irish and brought up as Irish as I possibly can in another country. Just cos their grandparents left Ireland and ours didn't, doesn't make us ALL that much different... and I think it's nice that they still have that pride.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
    Beer purchased yesterday...guinness, harp, smitticks...whiskey and baileys will be arriving tomorrow night! parade on saturday, shenanigans to follow! gawd i love this time of year!!! :D
    I love to turn you on
  • KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    yea we can all celebrate yom kippur lol :confused:

wooohooo we can all drink sambuca on Columbus day.... wanna cannoli with that?!?
  • Celabration begins tom. all in all five drunken parades to attend for the St. Patricks day season. Any of you NYers makin the trek on LIRR to Montauk parade?
    BORGATA>VIC
  • mkcapsmkcaps Posts: 36
    Just another reason for people to drink..
    This shouldn't be a 'holiday'..
    This morning I woke up with a shilaleigh in the sheets and gave the wifey a good session. Then, I went the bathroom and took a green dump!!!

Ah, the luck o the irish!!!! :D

Let the games begin!!!
    I love to turn you on
    This morning I woke up with a shilaleigh in the sheets and gave the wifey a good session. Then, I went the bathroom and took a green dump!!!

Ah, the luck o the irish!!!! :D

Let the games begin!!!

haha i cant even joke with my friends on here ...sigh ...

seriously enjoy and be safe

have 50 on me ;)
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    top 5 worst days of the year

bunch of sloppy drunks

oh and i hate the saying "everyone is irish on st. patty's day"

um no im italian 365 days a year

sorry stevie just had to say i hate the day

I'm Greek 365 days of the year....but sometimes I have a little Irish in me!! hehehehe (My husband is Irish)

I don't look good in green, so I guess Monday I am going to get pinched...

I love the green beer though ..:p
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
    I'm Greek 365 days of the year....but sometimes I have a little Irish in me!! hehehehe (My husband is Irish)

hope you're well enough to get yourself back down to Rileys. Cheers Pam! glad to see you're feeling better!!!! :)
    I love to turn you on
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    hope you're well enough to get yourself back down to Rileys. Cheers Pam! glad to see you're feeling better!!!! :)

Thanks Steve, I'm feeling a lot better, just still sore! Cheers to you!!
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    haha i cant even joke with my friends on here ...sigh ...

seriously enjoy and be safe

have 50 on me ;)
    Your reactions to Paddy's day reminded me of a great Simpsons quote - Kent Brockmans' Patrick's Day broadcast:
    "Top o' the mornin' to ye on this gray, drizzly afternoon. Kent O'Brockman live on Main Street, where today, everyone is a little bit Irish! Except, of course, for the gays and the Italians." :D

you're Italian-American right? :p

and the following quote:
    "Ladies and gentlemen, what you are seeing is a total disregard for the things St. Patrick's Day stand for. All this drinking, violence, destruction of property. Are these the things we think of when we think of the Irish?"
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me

monday i wear red
    Your reactions to Paddy's day reminded me of a great Simpsons quote - Kent Brockmans' Patrick's Day broadcast:
    "Top o' the mornin' to ye on this gray, drizzly afternoon. Kent O'Brockman live on Main Street, where today, everyone is a little bit Irish! Except, of course, for the gays and the Italians." :D

you're Italian-American right? :p

and the following quote:
    "Ladies and gentlemen, what you are seeing is a total disregard for the things St. Patrick's Day stand for. All this drinking, violence, destruction of property. Are these the things we think of when we think of the Irish?"

lol gotta love brockman,, tis the truth

yes im italian
  • I'll probably head for a traditional music session with my guitar, and join in with the jigs and reels. Or not. Depends if I can be bothered.
    I'll probably head for a traditional music session with my guitar, and join in with the jigs and reels. Or not. Depends if I can be bothered.

what i wouldn't give to know how to play guitar like this...i would love me some 'orange and the green'.
    I love to turn you on
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I always seem to be working on St patricks day this year (which mass is celebrated tomorrow because of holy week).
    I take it that it is celebrated alot better abroad.

I would question the generation irish thing . If its your parents that were born in Ireland and you in the states its fine but older I wouldn't really cass myself as Irish.
    I would wonder how much Irish culture is prominent in Foreign Irish regions of places ( boston etc....)
  • fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/89-saint-patricks-day/

"Stuff White People Like"

#89 Saint Patrick’s Day
    March 16, 2008 by clander

Normally if someone were to wake up at 7:00 in the morning, take the day off work, and get drunk at a bar before 10:00 a.m., they would be called an alcoholic, and not in the artistic, edgy way that white people are so fond of.

On March 17th, however, this exact same activity is called celebrating St. Patrick’s day. This very special white holiday recognizes Saint Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland who helped to bring Catholicism to the Emerald Isle. His ascetic life is celebrated every year by white people drinking large amounts of Irish-themed alcohol and listening to the Dropkick Murphys.

It is also the day of the year when you can make the most gains in your social and professional relationship with white people.

Most of the time, white people consider celebrations of European heritage to be racist unless they omit large swathes of the 16th through 20th centuries. But since the Irish never engaged in colonialism and were actually oppressed it is considered acceptable and encouraged to celebrate their ancestry. For this reason, 100% of white people are proud to claim that they are somewhat Irish.

A big part of St. Patrick’s Day is having white people feel particularly upset at the oppression of their ancestors that has in no way trickled down to them. If you find yourself talking with a white person who tells you about how their great grandfather was oppressed by both the English and the Americans, it is strongly recommended that you lend a sympathetic ear and shake your head in disbelief. It is never considered acceptable to say: “but you’re white now, so what’s the problem?”

It is also worth nothing that on this day, there is always one trump card that never fails to gain respect and acclaim. When you are sitting at an Irish bar and someone orders a round of Guinness, you must take a single sip and while the other white people are savoring their drink, you say: “mmmm, I know it sounds cliche, but it really is true. Guinness just tastes better in Ireland.”

This comment will elicit an immediate and powerful response of people agreeing with your valuable insight. This statement also has the additional benefit of humiliating the members of your party who have not been to Ireland (and thus cannot confirm this proclamation). Having not traveled to Ireland and consumed a beer that is widely available in their hometown and throughout the world, they will immediately be perceived as provincial, uncultured, and inferior to you.

It is also strongly encouraged that you memorize the lyrics to “Jump Around.” It will come in handy.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
    Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!!

And yes Fanch, a Guinness in Ireland DOES taste better! ;)
    I love to turn you on
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    ugh I really loathe this day.....

I work right at the parade so I have to listen to these damn bagpipes all day long!

It is enough to make me insane....

oh and can't wait to take the train home w/the obnoxious puking drunks.

what a great day in NYC.

no offense to the Irish - just hate the day.
  • nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    happy st. patrick's day everyone!

i'm still recovering from my celebrations on saturday. :)
  • Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Happy Paddys Day!!!! To all you drunken Irishmen! ("Drunken Irishmen" is a joke and in no way whatsoever should be taken to heart by all the good Irish folks across the land.)

Now go eat a potatoe and say "Jesus, Mary and Joseph"

......;)
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!!

And yes Fanch, a Guinness in Ireland DOES taste better! ;)

It really does, I swear. actually, it tastes better in the uk and all over europe too.

where are boston area peeps headed tonight?
    It really does, I swear. actually, it tastes better in the uk and all over europe too.

where are boston area peeps headed tonight?

they're in bed from the weekend