Options

If one more person...

audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
Asks me what i'm going to do when I leave university, i'm going to kick them in the head. :(

Seriously. I am so sick of this. Last time I checked, pretty much no one knows what they want to do with their lives, so why should I be any different? I mean, it's one thing for my parents to ask. That's fair enough, i'll tell them to leave the subject alone or i'll stop coming back from uni to visit (those kinda threats give me a lot of power :p). But when people who don't know me start asking me, then asking me why I don't know...that really pisses me off.

I spent an hour with a lecturer today (a seminar that no one else turned up to...great!) and he basically just told me that by not making decisions now, I am harming my chances later. He's probably right...but the bottom line is...I really don't CARE. With the degree i'm going to get, i'm sure I could earn a fair amount of money, in an extremely boring field that I don't enjoy...but I don't want to. I don't care about money. I didn't come to uni to get myself a high paying job, I came to challenge myself.

I guess my point is...why are expected to know what we want to do with our lives from such an early age? And why does everyone seem to care more about what you do than who you are? They are not the same thing.
~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    How much university is left before you're "done"?
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    audiodave wrote:
    Asks me what i'm going to do when I leave university, i'm going to kick them in the head. :(

Seriously. I am so sick of this. Last time I checked, pretty much no one knows what they want to do with their lives, so why should I be any different? I mean, it's one thing for my parents to ask. That's fair enough, i'll tell them to leave the subject alone or i'll stop coming back from uni to visit (those kinda threats give me a lot of power :p). But when people who don't know me start asking me, then asking me why I don't know...that really pisses me off.

I spent an hour with a lecturer today (a seminar that no one else turned up to...great!) and he basically just told me that by not making decisions now, I am harming my chances later. He's probably right...but the bottom line is...I really don't CARE. With the degree i'm going to get, i'm sure I could earn a fair amount of money, in an extremely boring field that I don't enjoy...but I don't want to. I don't care about money. I didn't come to uni to get myself a high paying job, I came to challenge myself.

I guess my point is...why are expected to know what we want to do with our lives from such an early age? And why does everyone seem to care more about what you do than who you are? They are not the same thing.
    Me too. Just ignore them all.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Hey Dave - what do you want to be when you grow up??? :D
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    I know what ya mean Dave, I think there are very few people who know exactly what they wanna do with their lives before they leave college and actually end up enjoying doing that their whole lives... the rest of us, well it's good to take it as it comes... of course you can only play around with what you know at the time. You've chosen that course so you're best to finish it and finish it as well as you can and SEE it as a challenge... then maybe TRY getting some work in that field when you're done... if you don't like it then move onto something different. That's what life's all about: challenges and choices and mistakes and rectifying mistakes and having fun :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    I agree with you, I am 30 and I still want to try different career ventures...some of us know when we are young and some of us need to explore...
    Don't take it personally when people ask - most are probably just making small talk.

And yes, don't let money be your driving force for a career choice..money should just be a by-product of doing something that you enjoy!

Congrats on getting through school! That is a huge accomplishment in itself.
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:

There you have, you're subconsciously wanting to be Chuck Norris upon graduation.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    How much university is left before you're "done"?
    Six months.
    Hey Dave - what do you want to be when you grow up??? :D
    :p It was only a matter of time before someone did it.
    I know what ya mean Dave, I think there are very few people who know exactly what they wanna do with their lives before they leave college and actually end up enjoying doing that their whole lives... the rest of us, well it's good to take it as it comes... of course you can only play around with what you know at the time. You've chosen that course so you're best to finish it and finish it as well as you can and SEE it as a challenge... then maybe TRY getting some work in that field when you're done... if you don't like it then move onto something different. That's what life's all about: challenges and choices and mistakes and rectifying mistakes and having fun :)
    I will finish it. And I will get a damn good degree. But I will be a maths graduate, the majority of whom go into the finance sector. I don't want to do that. Finance bores the HELL out of me. Or I could go into further study...but i'm not THAT interested in maths.

I would just settle for the having fun and being happy part. The rest is all just details.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

• Options
    audiodave wrote:
    Six months.
    Not too bad, but it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better ;)
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    So Audiodave, what are you going to do when you finish uni????????? :p

and when are you going to start kicking me?? and if you do kick me hard ;)
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    audiodave wrote:

Same here. In fact, my degree doesn't even have that boring job option. What the fuck do I do with English Literature? I think I'll do a masters and take it from there. I don't want a solid 9-5 job anyway. That would kill me.

I know what you mean about the power over parents though :D Last time I visited home, my parents had a massive falling out over my father's road rage. I was luckily able to make them shut up, stop arguing and make up because I made it clear that I was going to go back to uni early if the atmosphere didn't lighten up :) They ended up apologising to each other and then saying to me "please don't decide you'll never visit again because we ruined it this time" :D

ohhh the power...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I think I'll do a masters and take it from there.
    This is what i'm currently doing...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Options
    audiodave wrote:
    Six months.

:p It was only a matter of time before someone did it.

I will finish it. And I will get a damn good degree. But I will be a maths graduate, the majority of whom go into the finance sector. I don't want to do that. Finance bores the HELL out of me. Or I could go into further study...but i'm not THAT interested in maths.

I would just settle for the having fun and being happy part. The rest is all just details.
    Hmm... you could get a job as an accountant in a fun company. Not all accountants work for accountancy firms. I dunno! That's about all I know about finance stuff :o . You could go into further study in something else... then you'll be a maths + chosen profession graduate :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    Hmm... you could get a job as an accountant in a fun company. Not all accountants work for accountancy firms. I dunno! That's about all I know about finance stuff :o . You could go into further study in something else... then you'll be a maths + chosen profession graduate :)
    Both my parents are accountants...not a route I want to go down.

If your next suggestion was teacher...please don't say it...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Options
    audiodave wrote:

Teacher was my constant suggestion, from near everyone...
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:

hahaha. i was a teacher....and now i work for accountants. :D
    and i have a BFA and MA arts degrees....go figure. :p

do what makes you happy. :)
    however, making money is also a good thing b/c you will find it helps you do the things that make you happy.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Your lecturer is totally right. Your degree will not magically land you a job, trust me. Start thinking now about stuff your interested in, and start learning on your own outside of classes. THAT is what will separate you from other people later on, and that's what will ultimately land you a good job.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    dave i'm 38 and still don't know what i want to do.....live your life and tell people who ask you what you're gonna do with your life that your training to be a professional semi-nude fortune telling goat herder.....:p
  • Options
    JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I think most the people that I did my degree with still havent a clue what they want, and we're finished over a year and a half!! I was just lucky to get a job I liked in a profession I didn't think I could get into. Most of them went travelling, or did a completely unrelated masters.

Sure there's no rush on ye at all, and by the sounds of ye, ye know that! Just make up some lavish excuse like Dee Sniders hair dresser or something :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:

Hey man, i know exactly how you feel. I am the exact same way about my field. My pressure comes from my parents. "So dear, when are you going to medical school? law school?" "DAD! I STUDIED POLITICS FOR A REASON!" This is our phone conversation everytime he calls. It drives me insane! So, now that I have graduated, I am dreading moving back in with the fam, but I have one thing to look forward to. CHINA! I got a job teaching there for a year. It pays nothing really, but it doesn't matter to me. I'm looking forward to seeing the Great Wall, and going to the Beijing Olympics - making new friends, and starting a new life. It's about time. haha, but after I come back, it's off to grad school. Still don't know what I really want to do though. 23 is so young to decide what is best for me. All I know is that enjoy having a drink every so often with my friends, and I want to get away from Washington.
    Don't let the world bring you down, not everyone here is that fucked up and cold. Remember why you came and while you're alive, experience the warmth before you grow old.

Best two days of my life: Oasis at MSG and Pearl Jam at the Gorge.
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Ha! Got to 32, nearly finished my degree, still don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do with my life....:confused:

All I know is that having studied for nearly 3 years to be a nurse, it's not gonna be that :p

I suppose I have to be making some decisions fairly soon, not that I'm looking forward to it.

I hope it's not too late for the having fun and being happy part either.

Who decides when you're 'grown up' though? And why can't we just wait and see what happens? Why make decisions now? Do you know what you're going to be doing in 10 years time? No. Do you want to? No.
    I'm not saying that you have to live each day for today, but if theres no element of risk in your life, then there's little chance of fun.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    Saturnal wrote:
    Your lecturer is totally right. Your degree will not magically land you a job, trust me. Start thinking now about stuff your interested in, and start learning on your own outside of classes. THAT is what will separate you from other people later on, and that's what will ultimately land you a good job.
    He probably is right. But i'm not naive enough to think that just because I have a degree, it'll get me a job. I know every man and their dog has a degree thesedays. But the point is, I didn't take a degree to get a job.

I hate this fucking world sometimes.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    audiodave wrote:

I hate this fucking world sometimes.

yeah i know what you mean buddy.... starvation, war, hate, racism and religious extremism... getting a nice degree is right up there with all of those

;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    yeah i know what you mean buddy.... starvation, war, hate, racism and religious extremism... getting a nice degree is right up there with all of those

;)
    Yes. I know. And you forgot being Scottish. :p

I realise I have it easy. But you know how people love to complain.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    bro, i graduated 8 years ago & i still don't know what i'm gonna do with my life!? :eek::o:)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    audiodave wrote:
    Yes. I know. And you forgot being Scottish. :p

I realise I have it easy. But you know how people love to complain.

:D

ya wee bugger ye!!!!

:D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    cutback wrote:
    dave i'm 38 and still don't know what i want to do.....live your life and tell people who ask you what you're gonna do with your life that your training to be a professional semi-nude fortune telling goat herder.....

What are you trying to tell us cb? ;):D

And if you are, MAN I AM COMING TO VISIT SHORTLY!! :D:D:D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    What are you trying to tell us cb? ;) : D

And if you are, MAN I AM COMING TO VISIT SHORTLY!! :D:D:D
    Jeanie, behave yourself. :p
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• Options
    dave love, just be you, the rest will fall into place OR shit will happen and you'll have to respond to it. Either way you're here and your life will unfold.
    Even the best laid plans come a cropper. I reckon do what cutback said and get a standard response ready and then do whatever the hell you like! :)

Oh and stand by for the "when are you getting engaged?" "when are you getting married?" "when are you going to buy property?" "when are you gonna give us grandchildren?" "when are you gonna retire?" questions. Coz this shit you got going on is only the first of many expectations, TRUST ME! :D

ooh and how bout using your mathematical genius to work for an organization that you admire? so that your maths is being used to make the world a better place? because if you feel that you are contributing to something worthwhile that always helps. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    Jeanie, behave yourself. :p

aaaw! :( C'mon! Don't ruin my fun! :p

I mean fortune teller? goat herder??? SEMI NUDE???? I GOTTA SEE THAT! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Well Dave, seems to me there's a gap in the market for a new Johnny Ball type of personality. You know, crazy, lunatic, fun, really brainy at maths kinda guy...how about that?
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....