Options

ed & co just don't have chris cornell's vocal range

13»

Comments

• Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Oh no he doesn't...
    In my opinion, Chris' lower register opening Hunger Strike just doesn't have the same richness, the same grit it once had. He still hits those power highs, which in it's self is weird because it's almost like he is more comfortable living in that register. Chris is an incredible vocalist but I've found that in recent years his vocals can be a little hit or miss live...

The turn around in his voice since he quit Audioslave and smoking is remarkable. Sure he still has his off days, that's what happens when you tour relentlessly, but he has become far more consistent over the last year than he pretty much ever was. Even back with Soundgarden he had some really bad performances, nights where he couldn't hit any of the higher notes, and I think by the time Audioslave ended most people had written him off. For him now to come back and be able to do justice to songs like Hunger Strike, Say Hello 2 Heaven, Slaves And Bulldozers, JCP etc is pretty amazing.
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I don't think Cornells vocals are back to his Soundgarden days, as some are claiming. They've certinally got better, but I don't understand the love that the Say Hello To Heaven clip is getting. He sounds raspy and even if he hits the high notes at the end, it still doesn't sound very good. I personally prefer the one done at some MSN Concert from around May last year.

The Hunger Strike one is amazing though. He is hit and miss live, but when he gets out the acoustic - i.e. not competing with a very loud backing band - he sounds absoutely phenomonal.
  • Options
    The turn around in his voice since he quit Audioslave and smoking is remarkable. Sure he still has his off days, that's what happens when you tour relentlessly, but he has become far more consistent over the last year than he pretty much ever was. Even back with Soundgarden he had some really bad performances, nights where he couldn't hit any of the higher notes, and I think by the time Audioslave ended most people had written him off. For him now to come back and be able to do justice to songs like Hunger Strike, Say Hello 2 Heaven, Slaves And Bulldozers, JCP etc is pretty amazing.

You definitely hear the effect of smoking in Chris' and Eddie' voice live some nights and sure it's impressive that Chis is belting out some of those songs live but you can't 100% say his voice is as vital as it was 15 yrs ago... (listen to that baritone)

P.S Is it just me or does Eddie's low tones sound even richer then they used to, he struggles through some highs live some nights but, WHOA!

P.S.S I hated Audioslave, sorry...
    Things were different then. All is different now.
    I tried to explain...

http://www.facebook.com/theendlessproof
  • Options
    P.S.S I hated Audioslave, sorry...

Yeah the unoriginal name just killed it for me. Its the same meaning

Sound Garden... I like sound, its beutiful like a garden... I really like MUSIC!!!

Audioslave.. I am a slave to sound.... I really like Music!!

What the F? Couldn't they take longer than 10 minutes to come up with a band name? Same thing with Velvet Revolver. Its just corny. Sorry.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    I don't think Cornells vocals are back to his Soundgarden days, as some are claiming. They've certinally got better, but I don't understand the love that the Say Hello To Heaven clip is getting. He sounds raspy and even if he hits the high notes at the end, it still doesn't sound very good. I personally prefer the one done at some MSN Concert from around May last year.

The Hunger Strike one is amazing though. He is hit and miss live, but when he gets out the acoustic - i.e. not competing with a very loud backing band - he sounds absoutely phenomonal.

The high notes at the end aren't raspy at all, that's what really made me pay attention, they're a lot cleaner sounding than they have been in ages. And that MSN show was him on a bad night, he was sick and sounding much more raspy.
  • Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160
    moho wrote:
    Cornell used to have a better vocal range, but it has disappeared in the last 8 years whereas ed can still do it as well as ever on a good night, and on a bad night he's never too far off.
    Agreed. I think he destroyed his vocals in the Badmotorfinger days and it's showing now. I still love that dude though. I wish he'd join back with PJ for a Temple of the Dog reunion tour with some new songs.
  • Options
    Agreed. I think he destroyed his vocals in the Badmotorfinger days and it's showing now. I still love that dude though. I wish he'd join back with PJ for a Temple of the Dog reunion tour with some new songs.

You don't think he sounded good on Superunknown or Down On The Up Side?

I think some people have some warped views of how he sounded live back then. He was far from consistent.
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    The high notes at the end aren't raspy at all, that's what really made me pay attention, they're a lot cleaner sounding than they have been in ages. And that MSN show was him on a bad night, he was sick and sounding much more raspy.

I still prefer the MSN one though. He doesn't hit all the high notes but it isn't just about how many notes he can hit. He sings with a lot more passion, something that seems to be lacking somewhat recentely.

He sounded good on those records but when touring them, I don't think he sounded too good (or was that what you were trying to say? I'm a bit confused :p). I don't think Soundgarden ever cared much for touring, so it's good to see that Cornell is enjoying it now.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    I still prefer the MSN one though. He doesn't hit all the high notes but it isn't just about how many notes he can hit. He sings with a lot more passion, something that seems to be lacking somewhat recentely.

He sounded good on those records but when touring them, I don't think he sounded too good (or was that what you were trying to say? I'm a bit confused :p). I don't think Soundgarden ever cared much for touring, so it's good to see that Cornell is enjoying it now.

That's fair enough. To an extent I agree. That's why I keep saying he is more consistent now than he was even back then. While his voice may not be fully restored to its former glory, it isn't far off it, and becasue he doesn't drink or smoke anymore, you get a far better live show. He now plays for nearly 3 hours a night, and even at the end of it manages Slaves and Bulldozers - it's a wonder can sing at all anymore!
  • Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160

I think some people have some warped views of how he sounded live back then. He was far from consistent.
    I didn't say that. He sounded great then but over the years his range tapered off. He can't hit the same notes that he did before. Ed would be the same way if he sang "Blood" everyday.

And no, I don't have a warped view of how he sounded then. It doesn't take much skill to hear the decline, all you have to do is listen. I think he has adapted to his range rather well.
  • Options
    I didn't say that. He sounded great then but over the years his range tapered off. He can't hit the same notes that he did before. Ed would be the same way if he sang "Blood" everyday.

And no, I don't have a warped view of how he sounded then. It doesn't take much skill to hear the decline, all you have to do is listen. I think he has adapted to his range rather well.

Yeah but then during the Audioslave days he sounded much worse than he does now, Hunger Strike back then was painful to listen to, and now he's hitting the same notes as the original with ease. Check out the clip from Argentina in this thread.
  • Options
    JackieboyJackieboy Posts: 78
    Okay that Say hello 2 heaven-clip wasn't that amazing and I could barely hear his last notes because of that fucking McCready/Thayil-wannabe. Let's get this straight. Chris counds way better than he ever did in Audioslave. It seems like his alcoholism during Euphoria Morning-tour took all of his voice because he sounds like a god on some of the EM-tracks. Everything with SG was nothing short of amazing vocally but he wasn't as solid live if we are to judge from boots and youtube-recordings. Anyhow, Temple of the dog features some of the sickest vocalperformances I've heard to date. Carry on is still some of the worst music I've ever heard no matter genre. Besides that Chris doesn't sound nowhere as good as he does now. Hopefully, next album won't some uninspired shit. Oh and I agree that Chris does some low notes good be isn't nearly as comfortable as Ed in those waters.

Ed on his hand can't get to those notes that Chris sings in frequently. Chris' mid range is just about Ed's highest. Anyhow, I find Ed's baritone much richer and more vibrant. In addition to that he practically never hit bad notes.

All in all, love 'em both. Not sure if I have any hopes on Chris' further career. If you ask me I'm dreaming of a collaboration with Jerry Cantrell. And hopefully he'll be able to swallow his pride and start writing more songs in his lower and mid range. Like Suicide and Fell on black days are quite good example of songs where almost never raise the notes to the moon.
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Listen to 'When I'm Down'..... Cornell - Europhoria Morning... highlights his voice....

As for Eddie not having his range... who cares... :) not even a need to defend this whole idea....
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    Look up Cornell's performance of Hunger Strike in Argentina last year, and tell me it's not spot on.

He was amazing in Sydney too, I was quite suprised he was so sounding so good. I prefer Ed's voice but there's no denying Cornell's got more range. Also what a terrible version of Hunger Strike to compare to Cornell, Ed was apparantly quite drunk that night and it was a studio session with some friends not a concert in front of 20,000 people.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    Jackieboy wrote:
    All in all, love 'em both. Not sure if I have any hopes on Chris' further career. If you ask me I'm dreaming of a collaboration with Jerry Cantrell. And hopefully he'll be able to swallow his pride and start writing more songs in his lower and mid range. Like Suicide and Fell on black days are quite good example of songs where almost never raise the notes to the moon.

Somehow never even thought of this, but it'd be amazing, Jerry writing the tunes and coming up with those riffs and Chris singing. He needs to do something as I agree Carry On was terrible, but I still love him live playing all the SG and yes I liked Audioslave.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

For whatever reason, Audioslave just ruined his voice. Saw him on tour last summer, though, and it sure as hell sounded like he was back. Awesome show. Lots of old tunes that sounded like the old tunes.

As for the original question, it sure seems like we're arguing taste. Which do you like, chocolate or vanilla? I like both, personally.

I don't understand anyone thinking Cornell is "just screaming." He's no more "just screaming" on his stuff as Ed is on "Blood." And whoever said Chris has no lower register is hearing impaired. I actually preferred some of his lower register stuff ... Like Suicide, Wooden Jesus, 4th of July ... One of my favorite soundgarden moments was the last two lines on "Pretty Noose," where Chris twice repeats the lyrics from the chorus, only lower. I f'n love that.

I like Ed better. But anyone denigrating Cornell on this thread has some serious problems.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    One of my favorite soundgarden moments was the last two lines on "Pretty Noose," where Chris twice repeats the lyrics from the chorus, only lower. I f'n love that.

I agree, I remember the first time I heard it thinking it was Ed doing backing vocals.
  • Options
    MINDWIREUK wrote:
    He was amazing in Sydney too, I was quite suprised he was so sounding so good. I prefer Ed's voice but there's no denying Cornell's got more range. Also what a terrible version of Hunger Strike to compare to Cornell, Ed was apparantly quite drunk that night and it was a studio session with some friends not a concert in front of 20,000 people.

Cornell was in Florida a few months ago and he rocked! He still had "the range" that night.
  • Options
    Well, up front I gotta say that i don't really like Soundgarden or Audioslave but like pretty much everything Eddie has ever recorded.

That being said, if I just take PJ's Footsteps and look what Cornell did with the exact same music. To me that's just light and day as far as voice, pitch, harmony, vibe etc. are concerned (in favor of Ed obviously).
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    Lone Wolf wrote:
    I prefer Ed´s voice over Cornell´s every day of the week.

Me too!
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    moho wrote:
    Cornell used to have a better vocal range, but it has disappeared in the last 8 years whereas ed can still do it as well as ever on a good night, and on a bad night he's never too far off.

so true!!!
    However Chris has not been that good on stage IMHO (I prefer him singing on studio albums)
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    this shit is like comparing Kobe to Jordan,is Koby good?no doubt. Is he better than MJ? hell to the fucking NO!!!!!!!

same with Ed & Chris.

Ed is by far the betterman,no question!
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    Well, up front I gotta say that i don't really like Soundgarden or Audioslave but like pretty much everything Eddie has ever recorded.

That being said, if I just take PJ's Footsteps and look what Cornell did with the exact same music. To me that's just light and day as far as voice, pitch, harmony, vibe etc. are concerned (in favor of Ed obviously).
    Obviously? I prefer Ed but he loses hands down in that match-up. The chorus to Times of Trouble gives me chills. I love Footsteps, but I always cringe when Ed's voice does the pimply-faced-teenager screech on the last "What I HAD to do" part. Frankly, I wouldn't match up Ed to ANY of Chris's stuff off the Temple of the Dog album, it's Cornell's shining moment and one of the best vocal performances ever put to record, IMO.

And also, I don't recall any "harmony" in either song.
  • Options
    jwillmo wrote:
    I always cringe when Ed's voice does the pimply-faced-teenager screech on the last "What I HAD to do" part.

HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banish the blasphemer!!!! :D
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    HOW FUCKING DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banish the blasphemer!!!! :D
    C'mon, you know what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    That Argentina Clip sounds like CC mailed it in actually. The verse was horrible and the Chorus was only ok.

Corin is even better.:) and Ed sounds Waaaaay better
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RtCAQEmpfGU
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Smellyman wrote:
    That Argentina Clip sounds like CC mailed it in actually. The verse was horrible and the Chorus was only ok.

Corin is even better.:) and Ed sounds Waaaaay better
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=RtCAQEmpfGU

Did you just say Corin sounds better on that song than Cornell? You can't be serious. Listening to her try to sing Hungerstrike was painful!!

Don't want to get in to the "who's a better singer" arguement. I prefer Ed but I love them both:) they are both amazing singers!!