me rascando pompis...
krap mijn reet...
boku no ketsuoana o kizu...
bahrosh teezy...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i didnt know the rest of PJ was known for their singing. eddie also doesn't have that chic fashion sense of cornell either..such a shame.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Penis & co. don't give a fuck.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    Lone WolfLone Wolf Posts: 1,023
    I prefer Ed´s voice over Cornell´s every day of the week.
    Dream the dreams of other men,...You´ll be no ones rival,...
    Dream the dreams of others then,... You will be no ones rival,...
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    suns rival wrote:

Ha ha, there's a whole lot of shouting going on in that song! Strangely I still quite enjoyed it though! Of course Ed doesn't have Cornell's range - most singers don't have his range. Ed does however have a load of other things going in his favour, like great tone and power.
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    suns rival wrote:

Cornell used to have a better vocal range, but it has disappeared in the last 8 years whereas ed can still do it as well as ever on a good night, and on a bad night he's never too far off.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    what is the aim of this thread if not pointless?
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    moho wrote:
    Cornell used to have a better vocal range, but it has disappeared in the last 8 years whereas ed can still do it as well as ever on a good night, and on a bad night he's never too far off.

Look up Cornell's performance of Hunger Strike in Argentina last year, and tell me it's not spot on.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    MineMine Posts: 556
    Maybe range has a different meaning than the one i know but Ed used almost 3 octaves on ITW. That's more than average. Cornell just screams out there. Cornell has a high voice but he doesn't have a big range. He barely has any middle and low register.
    I knew who I was before other people started telling me who I was. J.Joplin
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    erm

what a bad example

search youtube - Beyond the wheel unbelievable version. Thats some vocals
  • Options
    ClariceClarice Posts: 256
    suns rival wrote:

This recording sounds a joke between friends, no? dont seems serious, Ed wasnt well...
  • Options
    Birdman sessions on the pit?
    This thread will disappear in 5,4,3,.....
  • Options
    Mine wrote:
    Maybe range has a different meaning than the one i know but Ed used almost 3 octaves on ITW. That's more than average. Cornell just screams out there. Cornell has a high voice but he doesn't have a big range. He barely has any middle and low register.

Range means the distance between the lowest to highest note. Cornell has a pretty huge range for a baritone (yep that means he's in the same bracket as Ed), he can sing deep stuff (Hypnotize, Like Suicide (acoustic version), 4th of July, the beginning of Beyond The Wheel). He uses his middle range on a lot of songs, perhaps you aren't so familiar with his work.

Oh and to the person who said he's lost his range, watch the end of this performance of Say Hello 2 Heaven and prepare to eat your words! http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAyLdBWDiYI
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    suns rival wrote:

THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    danny d
  • Options
    Range means the distance between the lowest to highest note. Cornell has a pretty huge range for a baritone (yep that means he's in the same bracket as Ed), he can sing deep stuff (Hypnotize, Like Suicide (acoustic version), 4th of July, the beginning of Beyond The Wheel). He uses his middle range on a lot of songs, perhaps you aren't so familiar with his work.

Oh and to the person who said he's lost his range, watch the end of this performance of Say Hello 2 Heaven and prepare to eat your words! http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAyLdBWDiYI

JOHN FTW

always there to sock it to the people who are wrong about cornell.

I just know you gonna be in any sg or cornell thread - just like me ha!
  • Options
    I BrisK I wrote:
    JOHN FTW

always there to sock it to the people who are wrong about cornell.

I just know you gonna be in any sg or cornell thread - just like me ha!

You better believe it! Just irritates me when people make sweeping statements about things.
  • Options
    You better believe it! Just irritates me when people make sweeping statements about things.

indeed

im at school so i cant link youtube

but search youtube - "beyond the wheel unbelievable"

just too good for words
  • Options
    rudiger10rudiger10 Posts: 129
    Cornell is probably trying when he sings it. Not just drunk and messing around with friends.
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Options

I've checked Beyond the Wheel on youtube.
    I'm gona be hated for this but he sounds like he is trying to impersonate Eddie in that low tenor start and let me ad has a hard time doing it as he's barely on key.
    I'm subjective here I don't like singes trying to sound like Robert Plant trying to sound like Janis Joplin.
  • Options
    whats with all the chris cornell love? i dont know a soul who listens to him. just sounds like a good 80s rock voice to me, but he doesnt compare to Eddie. no contest
  • Options
    jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    I saw him last year and he ENDED with Slaves and Bulldozers. Fucking Slaves & Bulldozers! It was freaking amazing.

And to say he has no lower range is pretty silly. As stated before, check out the acoustic solo version of Like Suicide, it's a great showcase for his baritone voice.

It is possible to love both Ed's & Chris's voices. That's what makes Hunger Strike such a kickass duet, it plays to both their strengths.
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Eddie has a better voice, writes better lyrics, sings with more passion and generally isnt a sell out.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Though both supposed to be baritone voices, they are very different. I believe Chris does have a wider range and sings beautifully and Eddie's voice is richer. They are both beautiful voices and the past has shown us they complement each other wonderfully. I would love to hear them together again.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    whats with all the chris cornell love? i dont know a soul who listens to him. just sounds like a good 80s rock voice to me, but he doesnt compare to Eddie. no contest

He sounds far more like 70's rock singers, for example Robert Plant or Paul Rogers. In the vocal skills stakes, he easily outstrips Vedder - but like I said before, Vedder makes up short comings with his tone, power, lyrics etc.

I've gone through this argument like a million times, the only way you can say one person is a better singer than another is if you look at things like power and range, anything else is subjective.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    suns rival wrote:

you're making arguments based on the BIRDMAN SESSIONS?! it's Eddie half in the bag playing with a couple of sub-par musicians.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Eddie is a natural baritone that learned to sing in a tenor range.
    Cornell is a natural tenor that wasn't able to sing Eddie's parts in Hunger Strike. There's a interview from the time when he says that. They both learned to expand their ranges.

Eddie reaches very high notes from No Code on. Eddie doesn't hit them by screaming in the Cornell fashion and that makes people think he can't go as high.
    There isn't a note Cornell sings that Eddie didn't. Eddie can go lower than Cornell though. It's a different approach to singing.
  • Options
    He sounds far more like 70's rock singers, for example Robert Plant or Paul Rogers. In the vocal skills stakes, he easily outstrips Vedder
    You mean screaming like a monkey is having diner with his balls?
  • Options
    Range does not = better...I love both their voices but Ed's wins by a long shot for me!
  • Options
    Mine wrote:
    Eddie is a natural baritone that learned to sing in a tenor range.
    Cornell is a natural tenor that wasn't able to sing Eddie's parts in Hunger Strike. There's a interview from the time when he says that. They both learned to expand their ranges.

Eddie reaches very high notes from No Code on. Eddie doesn't hit them by screaming in the Cornell fashion and that makes people think he can't go as high.
    There isn't a note Cornell sings that Eddie didn't. Eddie can go lower than Cornell though. It's a different approach to singing.

Cornell is a baritone, not a tenor. Some of the lower notes he hits are in the baritone range, and it is the lowest note that defines the singer, not the highest, the same as a baritone saxaphone, for example can produce some tenor notes, but a tenor sax can't produce baritone notes.

As far as Cornell not hitting a note that Vedder didn't - are you insane?! Are you familiar with his output? Vedder could NEVER sing a song like Say Hello To Heaven and nail all those higher notes. Why do you think there have been so many Vedder soundalikes, yet barely any Cornell soundalikes? Because those higher notes are very difficult for the average singer to reach.

Cornell is also not screaming, when he hits those high notes. He's in tune and has a lot of control over the notes. He's no more screaming than Aretha or Whitney or Mariah etc. Just cause it doesn't float your boat doesn't mean it's not a talent.
  • Options
    Cornell is a baritone, not a tenor. Some of the lower notes he hits are in the baritone range, and it is the lowest note that defines the singer, not the highest, the same as a baritone saxaphone, for example can produce some tenor notes, but a tenor sax can't produce baritone notes.

As far as Cornell not hitting a note that Vedder didn't - are you insane?! Are you familiar with his output? Vedder could NEVER sing a song like Say Hello To Heaven and nail all those higher notes. Why do you think there have been so many Vedder soundalikes, yet barely any Cornell soundalikes? Because those higher notes are very difficult for the average singer to reach.

Cornell is also not screaming, when he hits those high notes. He's in tune and has a lot of control over the notes. He's no more screaming than Aretha or Whitney or Mariah etc. Just cause it doesn't float your boat doesn't mean it's not a talent.
    Cornell IS a sound alike. You said it a few posts before. It was the thing after Plant. As it was cool to sound like Eddie after 10. But Eddie always was a better singer than any of his sound alikes and by far. Eddie never screamed as Cornell. That's the easy way to hit a high note. Cornell alike screaming was not popular anymore by the 90s. Eddie's voice, even not at his best technically speaking, was the popular voice style in that period.
    Cornell has a harder time in the lower register than Eddie because it's not in his natural range. Singers do that. Placido Domingo is a natural baritone who trained his voice so to be able to sing tenor. Eddie did the same after real singers warned him he was fucking up a great voice. He learned to sing with a wider range.

The bass register is the hardest to sing. Is basic singing theory. Every bass singer can sing tenor, with training. Not all tenors can reach bass. I've heard/read that a thousand times. Of course I'm not talking about extremely high notes but that's hitting it (=easier) not singing it (=harder).
    Smile and Present Tense or Sad are not baritone range songs.

Cornell's screaming is style, not skill. Have you heard ITW? You don't record "The Wolf" without skills nor you do the rest like that but The Wolf is the more obvious one. Listen to the smooth passages from note to note. You do realise that the 3 octaves he uses on the album cover baritone and tenor, right? I would really love to see Cornell re record that album for comparison. Mostly because this is singing and represents various styles.
    Cornell did say he couldn't sing Eddie's part on Hunger Strike and that was really not difficult.

Mariah doesn't scream unless you're talking about the whistle register, Aretha Franklin does something completely different, Houston is close to Aretha but without the strong gospel influence that is a different scream but Aretha is a soprano so in her hey day it was not a stretch to sing high notes. Tina Turner and Janis Joplin screamed but this is not all they did/do. Joplin who is notorious for her screaming could sing in a very soft soprano and a very deep alto and scream it all if she thought it fit the song. So does Tina Turner or to name some males the great Otis Redding. This are skills not just scream all over the place.
    After Plant screaming high notes for male singers became the synonym to great singing. Well is not. This has nothing to do with skills. It's a widely emulated style.

I'm not bashing Cornell, he does have range and one of the strongest voices of his generation, but his skills don't even approach Eddie's. You can see that in subtlety not "wanking" as it's called. Good singing is really a complex notion that involves details many don't even notice. Is not all about the high note. Singing a melody like Guaranteed is not easy even though there isn't anything above high C in there.
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Who cares? He's got a much better sounding voice. I'd take that over range any day. Mariah Carey has the most range, does that make her good?

The answer is no.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me