A waterslide with a loop on it

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
This may have been the coolest thing ever where it was dangerous or not. Might I add that it is at the coolest waterpark ever. I am laughing like crazy at this article right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/wathell/Picture003.jpg

This has to be the raddest thing ever, I would give anything to ride this just once
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Anyone else think this would make an excellent movie? What a premise. 'Danger Park'.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Awesome. It looks like it spits you out into a sand trap though !? lol...
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • This may have been the coolest thing ever where it was dangerous or not. Might I add that it is at the coolest waterpark ever. I am laughing like crazy at this article right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

I worked at Action Park for 4 summers and could take up HOURS of your time with stories. These were some of the best years of my life. This place was so poorly run and we as employees did whatever we wanted. Most fun and the Best job I have ever had !!!
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • holy S&*T! That thing looks scary. And the wikipedia entry about the park (which I read the whole thing) sounds horrid!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. "
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I saw Hard To Imagine LIVE at MSG!
    Would love to see footage of some of the rides..........the odd thing about the other rides at the park is that they have similar ones at the waterparks I have been to and I dont remember getting hurt that bad
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    people def. got hurt on that thing.

i love the water park they have there now... mountain creek water park. fun shit!
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    touringfan wrote:
    I worked at Action Park for 4 summers and could take up HOURS of your time with stories. These were some of the best years of my life. This place was so poorly run and we as employees did whatever we wanted. Most fun and the Best job I have ever had !!!
    You worked there? It was such a cool place. It was fine...people are just so uptight about safety these days to have too much fun. lol
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    holy S&*T! That thing looks scary. And the wikipedia entry about the park (which I read the whole thing) sounds horrid!

I read the whole thing too. That place sounds ridiculous, and that ride... holy shit.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • lol "the Grave pool"

"Those who made it to the bottom found their progress arrested by water, which made a large splash, and then a small pool. The speed at which riders met the end resulted in many getting wedgies and enemas from the experience.[13] Employees kept fishnets for scooping out the occasional nugget of excrement or tampon."

That place is freaking nuts! roflmao..hold on to your tampon..that ride gets a little rough!!....

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • The looping water slide

The one ride that has come to symbolize Action Park and its extreme thrill-seeking was, paradoxically, almost never used.

In the mid-1980s GAR built an enclosed water slide, not unusual for that time, and indeed the park already had several. But for this one they decided to build, at the end, a complete vertical loop of the kind more commonly associated with roller coasters.Employees have reported they were offered hundred-dollar bills to test it. "It didn't buy enough booze to drown out the memory", said Fergus.

It was opened for one month in summer 1985 before it was closed at the order of the state's Advisory Board on Carnival Amusement Ride Safety, a highly unusual move at the time. One worker told a local newspaper that "there were too many bloody noses and back injuries" from riders, and it was widely rumored, and reported in Weird NJ, that some of the test dummies sent down before it was opened had been dismembered. A rider also reportedly got stuck at the top of the loop due to insufficient water pressure, and a hatch had to be built there to allow for future extrications.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • On August 1st 1993, MTV's Headbanger's Ball taped an episode at the park. The host, Riki Rachtman, interviewed and went on the rides with the band Alice In Chains.

lulz
    "If my thoughts, dreams, could be seen, they'd probably put my head, in a guillotine, but it's alright ma, it's life and life only."
    The looping water slide

The one ride that has come to symbolize Action Park and its extreme thrill-seeking was, paradoxically, almost never used.

In the mid-1980s GAR built an enclosed water slide, not unusual for that time, and indeed the park already had several. But for this one they decided to build, at the end, a complete vertical loop of the kind more commonly associated with roller coasters.Employees have reported they were offered hundred-dollar bills to test it. "It didn't buy enough booze to drown out the memory", said Fergus.

It was opened for one month in summer 1985 before it was closed at the order of the state's Advisory Board on Carnival Amusement Ride Safety, a highly unusual move at the time. One worker told a local newspaper that "there were too many bloody noses and back injuries" from riders, and it was widely rumored, and reported in Weird NJ, that some of the test dummies sent down before it was opened had been dismembered. A rider also reportedly got stuck at the top of the loop due to insufficient water pressure, and a hatch had to be built there to allow for future extrications.
    Don't believe everything you read. ;)
    See, we amercians are tough as nails. That is the real reason the world dislikes us. lolololololol
    Here is a video. lol
    I never went on that crazy loop, but I was on everything else I think.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SxhNai4Zhs
  • this place was great. we went there a bunch in high school then it closed down. i saw some guy break his arm on the alpine slide, he would have been ok and able to crash and roll but he was carrying a 12 month old baby.
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    that's new jersey in a nutshell
  • Some even credit the park for making them learn some difficult lessons. In 2000, one, Matthew Callan, recalled Action Park thusly:

Action Park made adults of a generation of Tri-State Area kids who strolled through its blood-stained gates, by teaching us the truth about life: it is not safe, you will get hurt a lot, and you'll ride all the way home burnt beyond belief.
    "Almost unconsciously he traced with his finger in the dust on the table: 2+2=5" 1984
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Magus wrote:
    Some even credit the park for making them learn some difficult lessons. In 2000, one, Matthew Callan, recalled Action Park thusly:

Action Park made adults of a generation of Tri-State Area kids who strolled through its blood-stained gates, by teaching us the truth about life: it is not safe, you will get hurt a lot, and you'll ride all the way home burnt beyond belief.

I was in my early 20's at the time this place was booming. I went there once. I seem to remember going there for a concert or 2 as well.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • I remember going there when I was about 15....I also remember the loop being closed due to accidents. ( I think someone got stuck?) The girlfriend of one the guys that we went with went down one of the super slides and I remember her top falling off at the end of the rides....some tig ol' bitties came flopping out. THey had an under ground enclosed slide that was fun but aI remember slamming my nose because you couldn't tell when and where the curves were.
    Tarzan swing was awesome. I remember seeign quite a few people bleeding but we didn't really thik any thing of it at the time
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Made it their once. That place was a blast. Unsafe as hell, but fun.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    this place was great. we went there a bunch in high school then it closed down. i saw some guy break his arm on the alpine slide, he would have been ok and able to crash and roll but he was carrying a 12 month old baby.
    HAHAHA!! what the f#$k? I"m almost wetting myself here! haha he could have rolled out of it unscathed, but was carryinga 12 month old baby.... hahaha funniest thing i've read all day!
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    WHat happened when people didn't make it up into the loop.. no way back.. no way forward.... Glug glug! :eek:
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    vital5 wrote:
    WHat happened when people didn't make it up into the loop.. no way back.. no way forward.... Glug glug! :eek:

surely youve seen willy wonka and the chocolate factory where augustus gloop gets stuck in the pipe and the pressure builds up behind him until he shoots off to the fudge room? ;):D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • vital5 wrote:

They actually had to build an escape hatch at the top because some dude got stuck.

Dangerous or not, I'd try all that shit and probably love it.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    whats odd is that this place looks exactly like every waterpark that I have been to with many identical rides.........dont understand why it is so unsafe (though I do understand how the loop would be so unsafe)
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

They actually had to build an escape hatch at the top because some dude got stuck.

Dangerous or not, I'd try all that shit and probably love it.

you know it, I would seriously give anything to go on it......and I mean anything
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• you know it, I would seriously give anything to go on it......and I mean anything

I think it would rock. I'd wear a helmet with a face guard if necessary.

Have you ever taken a ride in a clothes dryer in a public laundromat after a few drinks?

Honestly...if you get the chance...you'll piss yourself.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    Found this today.......not quite as cool as those pictures but still pretty cool

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0TGmBrYpZag
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Found this today.......not quite as cool as those pictures but still pretty cool

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0TGmBrYpZag

damn that looks pretty cool.

i love the trap door concept.