25 Best Alternative Rock Bands of the 90s

2»

Comments

• Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Ok, with this line from the article.....

"Pearl Jam may have sounded like Blood, Sweat and Tears on "the clear" but their business practices and general outlook on life once they'd sold 10 million copies of their first album was pretty much a "leave us be" kind of approach."
    ha... i can just picture PJ covering "spinning wheel"
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    pjalive21 wrote:
    Beck??? are you kidding me??
    out of all the shit on that list you choose to single out beck?!? by FAR one of the most versatile, creative artists of this or any generation

i guess this is proof that no list will please everyone... its all opinion
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    Why is it laughable? It's his fucking opinion.
    Yup, it's his opinion, and it's our opinion that his opinion is laughable. He's entitled to his opinion, just as we are of ours.

The problem here is the definition of "alternative". What made Nirvana or Mudhoney more "alternative" than Pearl Jam or Soundgarden or Alice in Chains? Honestly it's the stupidest "genre" ever conceived.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    sgossard3 wrote:
    out of all the shit on that list you choose to single out beck?!? by FAR one of the most versatile, creative artists of this or any generation

i guess this is proof that no list will please everyone... its all opinion

i could have chosen half the list but Beck is not a band...nor are a few others on that list

on a side note the word "alternative" is laughable
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Have you ever run into one of those people that says they are really into music... and you mention the bands that you like (Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Radiohead, Soundgarden, etc...) and they give you that, "I don't listen to commercial music" thing? Instead, they rattle off these really obscure bands and artists that you never heard of or may have read a tiny clip about them in the LA Weekly 12 years ago. They claim these acts are the 'real' music out there.
    Yeah... that's the guy.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Sorry but I think the list is pretty good. I don't agree with everything but there are some great bands on that list. Just b/c Pearl Jam isn't on the list doesn't make it laughable. Not everyone loves the band as much as we do. He clearly wasn't using album sales to base the list so PJ selling 10 million records isn't a very good arguement as to why they should there.
  • sarah vesarah ve Posts: 43
    pjalive21 wrote:
    on a side note the word "alternative" is laughable

I am with you on that!
    See you at the beach!! 6/17

~Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities~
    -Voltaire
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    maybe the worst top # list I have ever seen

that mean VH1 will be signing him up any day now.