25 Best Alternative Rock Bands of the 90s

he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
edited June 2008 in The Porch
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/55358/the-25-best-alternative-rock-bands-of-the-1990s

This is laughable.

No AIC?

No Soundgarden?

No STP?

No NIN?

No ......... PEARL JAM???

The writer is such a fucking snob it makes me sick... he apparently thinks that any band that appealed to a mass audience isn't worth a damn.
Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• silas23silas23 Posts: 99
    WTF???? This guy has got to be on something.......
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,855
    of course he leaves Nirvana in.
    I miss igotid88
  • he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    igotid88 wrote:
    of course he leaves Nirvana in.

Yeah, probably because Cobain killed himself so they didn't have years of "irrelevancy" like Pearl Jam and the others... sad but true.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    Radiohead?

Green Day? (even though they aren't my favorite by any means)

Oasis?

Blind Melon?

Call me a "conformist" but I haven't even heard of about half of the bands on this stupid list.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Oh it's that Yahoo blogger guy again. Didn't wrote another article that pissed off a few Jammers here as well, I can't recall what it was about but it was a list of sorts as well, and 75% of the artists I've never heard of their music.

He's tryin' to be an artsy music critic.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Why is it laughable? It's his fucking opinion.

How would you feel if somebody laughed at your opinion???

That list isn't half bad.. Sure it doesn't have Pearl Jam, but it's not my list.

That list isn't half bad.. Sure it doesn't have Pearl Jam, but it's not my list.

Its laughable because it doesn't include commonly agreed upon "shoe ins" like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC, Radiohead, NIN, etc etc. Without these bands, absolutely, the list is laughable.

Yes, I know it's his "fucking opinion."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,855

yea. But it's another diss for our band. Leaves them out cuz they sold 10 million copies. Yet puts Nirvana in even though they sold the same.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    yea. But it's another diss for our band. Leaves them out cuz they sold 10 million copies. Yet puts Nirvana in even though they sold the same.
    If Pearl Jam "sucked ass", they would still be MY favorite bad.. What difference does it make what other people think. They aren't me or us.

Top anything lists always make me gag because they alienate everyone except the person whom conjured the list.

It really makes no difference in our lives so it's nothing to fret over..
  • Why is it laughable? It's his fucking opinion.

WHOA..... everyone just calm down.
  • That list wasn't half as a bad as you guys make it out to sound. Lanegan, Flaming Lips, Afghan Whigs, Waits, Elliot Smith, Mudhoney, Pavement, Sonic Youth, Dino Jr. are ALL SOLID choices that I wasn't really expecting to see get mentioned. Yet Cracker confuses me, sure "they" have a few good songs but nothing mind blowing. Another good thing was I thought it would be featuring bands that sing "post-grunge" type shit like Blur or the guys who sing "Counting Blue Cars". Sorry but bands like Live, Seven Mary Three, Bush and such sound an awful lot like each other and that bores me. And surprisingly enough I didn't see alot of it on this list. Plus there are a couple names I'm not familiar with that I wanna check out (Sebadoh, Giant Sand).
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    wow, this list sucks ...
    and its title is "best BANDS" and he puts PJ Harvey, Beck, etc. in it... as far as I know, PJ Harvey is not a band...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Or better yet I didn't see Creed on here either.
  • HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/listoftheday/55358/the-25-best-alternative-rock-bands-of-the-1990s

This is laughable.

No AIC?

No Soundgarden?

No STP?

No NIN?

No ......... PEARL JAM???

The writer is such a fucking snob it makes me sick... he apparently thinks that any band that appealed to a mass audience isn't worth a damn.
    None bands you have listed are alternative rock. I'm not commenting on the guy's list though.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    That's a good list to me. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, AIC are obvious choices. Actually, this list has encouraged me to check some of these artists out, because I haven't heard a few of them.

Is it really that important that everyone has to like Pearl Jam or realise their (supposed) significance? They're an important band but outside this message board, they're not some sort of musical god.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Yeah...The Red House Painters...There's a band that changed my life.
    Are you Fucking Kidding Me?

This guy must write for Pitchfork. Add Radiohead to the list and you've pretty much got Pitchforks boner list.

I despise these Too Cool For School Indie Hack Writers. They rip anything that sells over 500,000 records and praise every gone in 60 seconds Indie Band.

Don't pay any mind to this idiot.
  • does this list really mean anything?

its some guys opinion

just be open to the fact that he put some different bandsi n there

i mean where were nirvana like 10th?

least it was different
  • Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    This list is laughable for atleast one reason... Guided by Voices. Anyone who saw Bob Pollard open in Cincinnati knows exactly what I'm talking about.
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    this list is terrible.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    Let's be honest with ourselves here: just how "alternative" were Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Alice in Chains/Foo Fighters/STP in the '90s? I can turn on any rock station in the country and hear them. You'd be hard-pressed to hear Sebadoh or the Afghan Whigs on anything but a college station.

The "list" accomplished what any list really, IMO, sets out to do: gets people talking about it and arguing and commenting on it. Do I disagree with some of the selections on it? Absolutely... I think Tom Waits might be the most overrated artist of my lifetime... I think Julian Cope stinks... the Red House Painters are terrible... but they all fit. Did the writer seem to take a "Indie Rock-er Than Thou" approach? Definitely... but I think that's what he was going for. And the fact that many people here and people commenting on the blog had no clue who many of the artists were confirms that, and the inclusion of many of the non-mainstream stuff (which the aforementioned PJ/STP/etc. groups are not part of, much as we may not want to admit it) fits.
    Plus there are a couple names I'm not familiar with that I wanna check out (Sebadoh, Giant Sand).

You're in for a fucking treat with Sebadoh... one of my favorite bands.
  • Sexy2aFaultSexy2aFault Posts: 388
    Obviously the list is retarded.

Radiohead is the true defintion of alternative and they transcend Alt. music itself. You would find them on top 25 lists for 90's music in general, not just alt.

What I dont get is that he is not against putting big alt bands on the list (weezer) but then leave out the good ones like Radiohead,RHCP,Beasties,Oasis,Blur,Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins. He did put Pavement in which is cool, but such an inconsistent piece of trash list.
  • Radiohead?

Green Day? (even though they aren't my favorite by any means)

Oasis?

Blind Melon?

Call me a "conformist" but I haven't even heard of about half of the bands on this stupid list.

I wouldn't admit that to anyone, though I do agree leaving out Pj, NIN, AIC, Soundgarden etc out is ridulous. Although quoting Bruce Dickinson from the Maiden show in Washington the other night "Soundgarden's a fucking metal band".
    Obviously the list is retarded.

Radiohead is the true defintion of alternative and they transcend Alt. music itself. You would find them on top 25 lists for 90's music in general, not just alt.

What I dont get is that he is not against putting big alt bands on the list (weezer) but then leave out the good ones like Radiohead,RHCP,Beasties,Oasis,Blur,Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins. He did put Pavement in which is cool, but such an inconsistent piece of trash list.
    I would have gagged if he put Oasis, the Beastie Boys or Blur on the list.. See now, all of our opinions suck.
  • Motown322Motown322 Posts: 465
    lca1630 wrote:
    Although quoting Bruce Dickinson from the Maiden show in Washington the other night "Soundgarden's a fucking metal band".

Well, he's right if you ask me. Think back to how they (and Alice in Chains) were both promoted prior to the Seattle blow-up... they were both "metal" bands. Facelift was pushed as nothing else BUT a metal album by a metal band. Then, Nirvana blew up, every band in Seattle got signed because nobody wanted to miss out on the "next big thing", and suddenly Soundgarden and AIC were "alterna-grunge" bands, just like every other band with guitars and bass and drums that happened to come out of the Northwest.
  • Ok, with this line from the article.....

"Pearl Jam may have sounded like Blood, Sweat and Tears on "the clear" but their business practices and general outlook on life once they'd sold 10 million copies of their first album was pretty much a "leave us be" kind of approach."

Methinks he really doesn't care for the band anyway. He is just trying to be unique and show that he is hip. Just one persons opinion, don't have a problem with it or any other list (including the RS one). They are basically just one persons opinion meant to stir discussion. It already worked I see since we are already on page 2 of this thread.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Although quoting Bruce Dickinson from the Maiden show in Washington the other night "Soundgarden's a fucking metal band".

How did he get on to talking about Soundgarden?
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    meh, tis what itis
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Meh. He needs some Modest Mouse. Good inclusion of Sebadoh and Dino Jr. though.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Motown322 wrote:
    Well, he's right if you ask me. Think back to how they (and Alice in Chains) were both promoted prior to the Seattle blow-up... they were both "metal" bands. Facelift was pushed as nothing else BUT a metal album by a metal band. Then, Nirvana blew up, every band in Seattle got signed because nobody wanted to miss out on the "next big thing", and suddenly Soundgarden and AIC were "alterna-grunge" bands, just like every other band with guitars and bass and drums that happened to come out of the Northwest.
    the rep SG has now with most people i mention them to is pretty soft because all they know is "black hole sun"... its like PJ and "last kiss"... youre only as hardcore as your softest song i guess :rolleyes:

i always like to show those people just how heavy SG can get!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    minus the obvious mudhoney and a few others, this list is half constructed of utter crap and ive heard of most these bands, hell some on the list arent even a band!!!

yes its a guys opinion, but he is really trying to cater to the "anti mainstream"

im more frustrated guys like this gets articles or "blogs" on the net and piss people off enough thats the only reason why anyone would read his article

Beck??? are you kidding me??