Options

UFC 78: Michael Bisping Vs. Rashad Evans / TUF: Team Hughes Vs. Team Serra

Comments

• Options
    george did look good. some deceptively strong hands. they say his ground game is quite good as well, so it will be interesting to see who serra matches him up with in the quarter finals.

team serra up 6-1 !! sweet. :)
  • Options
    morning guys! sorry i disappeared last night... i was so tired yesterday... i kinda drifted in and out during the fight, so i don't remember much about it, but i did see the end.... felt bad for J-rock, he seems like a really sincere guy who wants to do well... but i'm still happy about the Team Serra win!

I think George should be matched up with Mac - the Battle of The Grumpy Old Men! ;):p

p.s. I hate Hughes.
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    morning guys! sorry i disappeared last night... i was so tired yesterday... i kinda drifted in and out during the fight, so i don't remember much about it, but i did see the end.... felt bad for J-rock, he seems like a really sincere guy who wants to do well... but i'm still happy about the Team Serra win!

I think George should be matched up with Mac - the Battle of The Grumpy Old Men! ;):p

p.s. I hate Hughes.

haha :D good call on mac vs. george. it would actually be quite a good match i think. stay clear of the loser for a couple of days, eh?

jared seems like a really good guy with a good head on his shoulders, but at 30, he's should be in a battle against time. you'd never know it by looking at him though. he's in incredible shape. just like so may of the other guys on team hughes he looked timid out there and afraid to throw a strike. he kept pulling back, and i have to believe that all of it is in part due to the pressure hughes is putting on these guys so that his own reputation isn't tarnished.

+1 on the disdain for hughes (as i may have pointed out before just once or twice, i think...;)). his legion of fans grows everyday! haha :D
  • Options
    this is crazy, terrell has to have the worst luck of anyone in mixed martial arts. looks like he is out once again due to injury. i'm guessing the alves vs. lytle match will be pushed up to the main card.

Reports: Dave Terrell Scratched from UFC 78
    November 3, 2007

Dave Terrell (6-2 MMA, 2-1 UFC), the once-promising but oft-injured UFC middleweight, has once again been forced to withdrawal from a UFC card.

The 29-year-old has suffered a severe ankle injury and will not be able to fight Ed Herman at a UFC 78 event planned for Nov. 17 in Newark, N.J.

The news was originally reported by MMAjunkie.com radio partner TAGG Radio and has been confirmed by Sam Caplan at fiveouncesofpain.com.

There’s no word on a possible replacement.

Terrell made his octagon debut by defeating top middleweight Matt Lindland with a 24-second knockout at UFC 49. The victory made Terrell an overnight contender, and in his next fight, he battled — and lost to — Evan Tanner for the vacant UFC middleweight championship.

Injuries soon took their toll, though, and Terrell has competed professionally just once in the past 33 months. He submitted Scott Smith at UFC 59 (April 2006), but he had to pull out of UFC 62 and UFC 66 fights with Yushin Okami because of injuries.

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/11/03/reports-dave-terrell-scratched-from-ufc-78/
  • Options
    that was fast. always count on el dirte to fill in on a moment's notice. :) at least they have fought before, so that takes some of the stong away from having less than two weeks to prepare for your opponent. with terrell, herman could have probabaly bet on him having some ring rust, but that's certainly not the case with doerksen. it's likely a much more difficult match for him.

Joe Doerksen to Replace Dave Terrell at UFC 80
    November 4, 2007

Dave Terrell, scratched from the UFC 78 card because of a severe ankle injury, will be replaced by Joe Doerksen (39-10 MMA, 1-3 UFC), who will take on “The Ultimate Fighter 3” runner-up Ed Herman, reports UFC.com‘s Thomas Gerbasi.

It’ll be a rematch three years in the making.

UFC 78 takes place Nov. 17 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The events airs on pay-per-view and features a main event between undefeated light heavyweights Rashad Evans and Michael Bisping.

Herman and Doerksen first fought at an October 2004 SportFight event. Doerksen posted a third-round submission victory via triangle choke in the night’s main event.

Doerksen hasn’t appeared in the UFC since a unanimous-decision loss to Nate Marquardt at UFC 58 in March 2006. After the loss, the 30-year-old strung together eight straight victories in a variety of organizations — before a first-round TKO loss to Paul Filho at WEC 29 in August. Doerksen, a nine-year MMA veteran, has posted victories over the likes of Denis Kang, Lee Murray, Chris Leben, Patrick Cote and John Alessio.

Herman excelled on the third season of “The Ultimate Fighter” before dropping a close unanimous decision to Kendall Grove in season finale. He then suffered another loss to Jason MacDonald, but the Team Quest fighter has since posted submission victories over Chris Price and Scott Smith.

http://mmajunkie.com/2007/11/04/joe-doerksen-to-replace-dave-terrell-at-ufc-80/
  • Options
    well, the tatted up guy who looks like a good replacement ;) takes on the country farm boy this week. nothing against tom, but i'm hoping to see serra go 7-1. :)

they keep showing tom getting a cut worked on in between rounds during the opening credits, so am i to assume this one goes at least one round? hmmm...
  • Options
    well, the tatted up guy who looks like a good replacement ;) takes on the country farm boy this week. nothing against tom, but i'm hoping to see serra go 7-1. :)

they keep showing tom getting a cut worked on in between rounds during the opening credits, so am i to assume this one goes at least one round? hmmm...

how can you not root for a dude named Warmachine?? :p

i'm so hoping for yet another team serra win! and then i want to see Mac, single handedly take them all out to win it in the end!! :D

ps. get on those PM's, brother! :mad:
  • Options
    that's a good enough reason to root for him, i guess. :)

tabernac! the pm's i forgot!
  • Options
    elitexc finally decides to get their card together for this saturday. good to see antonio silva vs. jonathan wiezorek added, although i question how safe it is for silva to continue fighting...and what the heck is yves edwards doing on an undercard?...especially with this group of fighters?!?!

having the same fighters on every card is getting stale, considering they'd started off with a couple of good shows, but at least it's still free to watch (sort of ;))

EliteXC, November 10, 2007 - Showtime / Fight Network

Main Card:

Nick Diaz Vs. KJ Noons
    Jake Sheilds Vs. Mike Pyle
    Kevin Ferguson (Kimbo Slice) Vs. Bo Cantrell
    Antonio Silva Vs. Jonathan Wiezorek
    Seth Kleinbeck Vs. Kyle Noke

Pre-lims:

Yves Edwards Vs. Nick Gonzalez
    Geoff Bumstead Vs. Robert Ruiz
    Brett Rogers Vs. Ralph Kelly
    Jon Kirk Vs. Matt Lucas
    Jae Suk Lim Vs. Lane Yarbrough
  • Options
    pretty funny hughes' impression from serra with the fake nut shot. :D
  • Options
    what a first round! literally half and half.

first 2:30, all war machine. next 2:30, all tommy. war machine looks staggered, but tommy's bleeding badly from a couple of gashes.

craziness! :D
  • Options
    ugly second round. tommy wins it with ugly jiu-jitsu / wrestling and ground and pound.

great heart shown by both guys. first, with tommy being able to get through the first 2:30 mins trying to avoid the submission, then by war machine to hang on for the next 7:30.

team serra wins the first round 6-2. :)
  • Options
    a crazy fight indeed!! but i think my favorite of the season so far.... maybe it's just cuz it was the last one, and I was rooting for the 7-1 Team Serra lead....

War showed some great heart, but seriously needs to work on his defence. He had no guard to speak of... and i'm suprised i only heard Serra tell him to close it up once! Even I was yelling at him to close his guard! :) Granted, he must have been tired from trying to choke out tommy... must be hard to get a good grip with someone head all covered in blood! :eek:

Anyways, I wish War had had a better outcome, but i think he did really well, staying in it til the end.... It was nice of Serra to say that he still felt like he was 7-1... coaching for dummies... hughs needs it for sure!

After the fight, there was a shot of Mac saying "Who's got heart!?"... do you think he was referring to tommy or War? my first thought was War... leave it to Mac to root for the other team... hehehe.... ;)

next week looks like a great show! we get to see Mac in action again soon! :D
  • Options
    a crazy fight indeed!! but i think my favorite of the season so far.... maybe it's just cuz it was the last one, and I was rooting for the 7-1 Team Serra lead....

War showed some great heart, but seriously needs to work on his defence. He had no guard to speak of... and i'm suprised i only heard Serra tell him to close it up once! Even I was yelling at him to close his guard! :) Granted, he must have been tired from trying to choke out tommy... must be hard to get a good grip with someone head all covered in blood! :eek:

Anyways, I wish War had had a better outcome, but i think he did really well, staying in it til the end.... It was nice of Serra to say that he still felt like he was 7-1... coaching for dummies... hughs needs it for sure!

After the fight, there was a shot of Mac saying "Who's got heart!?"... do you think he was referring to tommy or War? my first thought was War... leave it to Mac to root for the other team... hehehe....

next week looks like a great show! we get to see Mac in action again soon! :D

yeah, i think that's actually one of those cases where the guy who got cut actually had an advantage because of the slippery arms. war machine had that choke in pretty deep too.

serra had quite a few one-liners and funny comments last night, and i'mm still laughing about his hughes' impression from the GSP fight. :D

not sure what mac was on about there? :confused: i'm curious to see who he'll get matched up with in the quarters...
  • Options
    the MW champ returns! :) look out anderson silva...;)

EVAN TANNER SIGNS TO MAKE UFC RETURN
    Thursday, November 08, 2007
    by Ken Pishna - MMAWeekly.com

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight titleholder Evan Tanner on Thursday announced via his myspace page that he has signed a four-fight contract with the UFC. Independent sources have confirmed the signing.

At this time, no return date or opponent has been named.

Tanner last fought for the UFC, or anywhere else for that matter, more than one-and-a-half years ago when he defeated Justin Levens by triangle choke at UFC 59.

He won the middleweight championship at UFC 51, defeating David Terrell by TKO. His reign didn’t last long though, as he lost the belt to Rich Franklin four months later.

The 36-year-old fighter out of Amarillo, Texas has long been considered a nomad, never staying with one fight camp for very long. Tanner has spent time training with teams such as Team Quest and Chute Boxe USA, but is currently training at Hard Knocks Muay Thai in Las Vegas.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5032&zoneid=2
  • Options
    Why different color trunks were created:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBuo2lBDUk

Silva still hungry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csq3fIlfK-Y

Whackk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnpUkneMSWE

Anderson Silva is quickly becoming my favorite fighter to watch. His stand up defense is supernatural.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    Why different color trunks were created:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBuo2lBDUk

Silva still hungry:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csq3fIlfK-Y

Whackk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnpUkneMSWE

Anderson Silva is quickly becoming my favorite fighter to watch. His stand up defense is supernatural.

he was dominant in those cage rage fights. incredible stuff.

doesn't look like there will be a chance at an okami vs. silva rematch as the rumour is that the UFC has let okami go and he's signing with K-1 hero's.

thanks for posting the clips, roland. :)
  • Options
    sweetpotatosweetpotato Posts: 1,278

doesn't look like there will be a chance at an okami vs. silva rematch as the rumour is that the UFC has let okami go and he's signing with K-1 hero's.

oh, yeah!-- that's where the big sweaty guy beat the crap out of the other big sweaty guy, right? ;)

now that i have your attention--- check your pm's, mook! :)
    "Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States, Barack Obama."

"Obama's main opponent in this election on November 4th (was) not John McCain, it (was) ignorance."~Michael Moore

"i'm feeling kinda righteous right now. with my badass motherfuckin' ukulele!"
    ~ed, 8/7
  • Options
    ReleasHReleasH Posts: 743
    I'm a little late to the party, but what a great fight this week! I tivo'd the episode and just got a chance to watch it tonight. Warmachine opened up a pretty good cut on the bridge of Tommy's nose. I was surprised Tommy was able to turn it around ... losing that much blood (along with the adrenaline) will make you pretty lightheaded. I actually think Mac was talking about Tommy having heart ... he came back so strong in the second round. Warmachine was completely wasted at the end ... wobbling around. I felt kinda bad for him, because he did fight pretty well.

I'm assuming that Dana White is not going to let Matt Serra match up Mac Danzig and Tommy Speer. I'll do my quarterfinal predictions after that gets cleared up because it makes a big difference in how Serra will go about things.
  • Options

Pretty savage standing elbow in the third clip. So clean and thoroughly devastating. Very hard to pull off effectively like that.

You'd probably like this forum:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/index.php

looking forward to the next PPV showing...

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    ...only $75 a month, a bus ride to Iowa, and the overwhelming desire to pursue ongoing daily physical pain and suffering....cmon it ain't that bad...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3087185

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    oh, yeah!-- that's where the big sweaty guy beat the crap out of the other big sweaty guy, right? ;)

now that i have your attention--- check your pm's, mook! :)

..buying into the stereotype, eh? ;):D

red=serious business, so i will check the pm's! :)
  • Options
    Pretty savage standing elbow in the third clip. So clean and thoroughly devastating. Very hard to pull off effectively like that.

You'd probably like this forum:
    http://www.sherdog.net/forums/index.php

looking forward to the next PPV showing...

'tis indeed. :) can't say that you see too many fights end that way, or that anyone would be fast enough and be able to get close enough in a sport where you can get a takedown to land it. apperently anderson can, eh? ;)

i'm not a big fan of the MMA forums for the most part. sherdog, expecially, is one of the worst. i'll still go there to sort out rumours and get news from the few credible and decent posters they have, but it's much more refreshing to post here and actually have decent and rational conversations. i try to get in and out of those places asap so as to avoid the fifty + threads on whether or not fedor can beat a polar bear, who's over rated now, and whyy we shoud all boycott "insert name or fight organization here" 's next event. :D bas still posts there once in a blue moon, kalib starnes was for a bit but he gets kind of sick of it, and phil baroni is about the only one who sticks with it...for the attention, i think. it's too bad that 80% of a forum ruins the interaction with the fighters that used to take place there for the 20% who are decent posters.

definitely looking for to saturday. :) there's an elitexc show tonight to tide me over until then...i wish i could trade bisping vs. evans for a few of the undercard matches, though! haha you never know, it could turn out to be an exciting main event...
  • Options
    ReleasH wrote:
    I'm a little late to the party, but what a great fight this week! I tivo'd the episode and just got a chance to watch it tonight. Warmachine opened up a pretty good cut on the bridge of Tommy's nose. I was surprised Tommy was able to turn it around ... losing that much blood (along with the adrenaline) will make you pretty lightheaded. I actually think Mac was talking about Tommy having heart ... he came back so strong in the second round. Warmachine was completely wasted at the end ... wobbling around. I felt kinda bad for him, because he did fight pretty well.

I'm assuming that Dana White is not going to let Matt Serra match up Mac Danzig and Tommy Speer. I'll do my quarterfinal predictions after that gets cleared up because it makes a big difference in how Serra will go about things.

happy to hear you got to see the episode. :) you're probabaly right about mac talking about tommy. he was in a bad way for the first half of the first round, but he certainly did turn it around to lay one on war machine in the second.

i look forward to your picks, el matchmaker-o! :D can't see dana being down with a speer vs. danzig match either. personally, i don't think it would be the best match they could make, and why not try to take them both out if you're matt serra? i guess it's a gamble either way...you knock one guy out of the competition for sure by having them face each other, but you could take them both out with wins from your own guys...then again, they could also both end up semi-finalists.

mac gets by this next round, i think. tommy, i'm not so sure. george would be the one i'd like to see face mac because i think it would be a great fight, but they'll probabaly set up the quarters hoping for that one in the semi's or finals.
  • Options
    'tis indeed. :) can't say that you see too many fights end that way, or that anyone would be fast enough and be able to get close enough in a sport where you can get a takedown to land it. apperently anderson can, eh? ;)

i'm not a big fan of the MMA forums for the most part. sherdog, expecially, is one of the worst. i'll still go there to sort out rumours and get news from the few credible and decent posters they have, but it's much more refreshing to post here and actually have decent and rational conversations. i try to get in and out of those places asap so as to avoid the fifty + threads on whether or not fedor can beat a polar bear, who's over rated now, and whyy we shoud all boycott "insert name or fight organization here" 's next event. :D bas still posts there once in a blue moon, kalib starnes was for a bit but he gets kind of sick of it, and phil baroni is about the only one who sticks with it...for the attention, i think. it's too bad that 80% of a forum ruins the interaction with the fighters that used to take place there for the 20% who are decent posters.

A polar bear...lolz....that's hilarious. I've never seen the place myself until recently. I did notice there's a fair amount of Dana White bashing... hehe

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    A polar bear...lolz....that's hilarious. I've never seen the place myself until recently. I did notice there's a fair amount of Dana White bashing... hehe

:D

there's a certain amount of disdain for dana white, for sure. ;) some people are very passionate about who they like and who they don't, which styles are best, and which organization they like the most. i guess those are some of the things that cause so many problems on the forums. it is the internet, i guess...:) it would be nice to see less fighting between the fans of the sport, as there are enough outside of it who don't like it anyway!

what's with all the fighting!?! :D oh, the irony....

like i said, there aren't a lot of fighters who post there anymore, but there used to be quite a few who would come on to talk to fans, answer questions, or make comments. the crazy ones drove them away, i think! i forgot to mention joe lauzon, as he posts from time to time as well. if you can weed through all the mess, there's good info there from some people.

are you watching the elitexc show tonight, roland? anyone watching it? it's on showtime and the fight netwrok at 10 eastern.
  • Options

there's a certain amount of disdain for dana white, for sure. ;) some people are very passionate about who they like and who they don't, which styles are best, and which organization they like the most. i guess those are some of the things that cause so many problems on the forums. it is the internet, i guess...:) it would be nice to see less fighting between the fans of the sport, as there are enough outside of it who don't like it anyway!

what's with all the fighting!?! :D oh, the irony....

like i said, there aren't a lot of fighters who post there anymore, but there used to be quite a few who would come on to talk to fans, answer questions, or make comments. the crazy ones drove them away, i think! i forgot to mention joe lauzon, as he posts from time to time as well. if you can weed through all the mess, there's good info there from some people.

are you watching the elitexc show tonight, roland? anyone watching it? it's on showtime and the fight netwrok at 10 eastern.

I can see it now...

"So, you know I've been training really hard, working on my submission groundwork and training extended hours with..... for the upcoming match with ....."

"so...uhhh...hey man is it true you can kill a polar bear with your bear hands like Chuck Norris did and "I heard you like shiny things....do you also go to the bathroom like wolves do before they fight? Do you like to smell your own poo?

lolzzz..

Thanks for the heads up on showtime. I'll check it out.

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I can see it now...

"So, you know I've been training really hard, working on my submission groundwork and training extended hours with..... for the upcoming match with ....."

"so...uhhh...hey man is it true you can kill a polar bear with your bear hands like Chuck Norris did and "I heard you like shiny things....do you also go to the bathroom like wolves do before they fight? Do you like to smell your own poo?

lolzzz..

Thanks for the heads up on showtime. I'll check it out.

too funny! too true! :D

yeah, it's not the strongest card, but there are some quality fighters on it like jake sheilds, antonio silva and nick diaz. there's also the debut of kimbo slice for elitexc in his second sanctioned MMA fight, so we'll see how that goes. it's a free MMA show (technically, i guess? ;) ) so can't complain too much. their past couple of shows have been very good, but the matches looked a lot better on paper. you never know what'll happen, though...
  • Options
    too funny! too true! :D

yeah, it's not the strongest card, but there are some quality fighters on it like jake sheilds, antonio silva and nick diaz. there's also the debut of kimbo slice for elitexc in his second sanctioned MMA fight, so we'll see how that goes. it's a free MMA show (technically, i guess? ;) ) so can't complain too much. their past couple of shows have been very good, but the matches looked a lot better on paper. you never know what'll happen, though...

Oh...if Kimbo's fighting I'm in. That dude cracks me up. He's like Mr T. unleashed.

right on

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    mr. t with a "sideways mohawk". :)

here's the card...not sure if i have the bout order right, but they putting a lot into kimbo, and i think he's the second to last fight.

EliteXC, November 10, 2007 - Showtime / Fight Network

Main Card:

Nick Diaz Vs. KJ Noons
    Kevin Ferguson (Kimbo Slice) Vs. Bo Cantrell
    Jake Sheilds Vs. Mike Pyle
    Seth Kleinbeck Vs. Kyle Noke
    Antonio Silva Vs. Jonathan Wiezorek

Pre-lims:

Yves Edwards Vs. Nick Gonzalez
    Geoff Bumstead Vs. Robert Ruiz
    Brett Rogers Vs. Ralph Kelly
    Jon Kirk Vs. Matt Lucas