Options

Fucking back problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    edited May 2022
    I have upper back pain, it's been like that for a few days now. Ow painful!
    Back pain is the worst.  I have had both upper back pain (herniated disk) and lower back pain,   Both really sucked.  Don’t wish back pain on anyone, My advice is to go to the doctor immediately.  Do not wait hoping just pain medicine will take care of if.  The earlier you can get to a doctor and most likely physical therapy the quicker you will get back to normal. 
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited May 2022
    Thank you @pjhawks
    Fortunately it feels slightly better today.  Now it hurts again, I better get it fixed properly, hopefully :/
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    edited May 2022
    It happens to pretty much everyone eventually, lol. My condolences. What you describe is most likely a muscle spasm problem rather than structural... Hopefully anyway!
    Back pain is possibly the worst pain possible because it's so fucking debilitating.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    edited May 2022
    So sorry to hear about your back pain, West Coast Dreamgirl !  And yes to all of the comments above.  Back pain is definitely difficult and often something worthy of cursing about!
    I have chronic lower back pain from many years of lugging heavy boxes of books and records around (as the joke around booksellers go, "Next lifetime I will deal in jewelry or feathers!").
    I know this may not sound like fun, but ice packs are your best friend if you have back pain trouble.  I didn't like icing at first, but once I began to see how much it helps, I did it enough to get used to it and actually look forward to icing, even on cold winter days!  The thing to remember is to wrap the ice pack with a thin piece of cotton cloth so that it doesn't go right next to your skin. Either put the ice pack between your back and a comfortable lounge chair or couch, or lie face down with the ice pack on your back where it hurts and set a timer for 20 minutes.  I do this on the average probably 5 out of 10 days, and when my back is bad, two or three times a day until it gets better.
    I know icing is tough, but don't wimp out- you will feel better! 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I’ve been using the same bag of frozen peas to ice my back for two years. It works so well. I would recommend, if you decide to go that route, to make sure the bag is microwaveable. Microwaveable bags seem more durable and it is what I contribute to the longevity of my pack. It doesn’t have to be peas either. You could use frozen corn, carrots, mixed vegetables ect. I would stay away from larger frozen vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower. The smaller size frozen vegetables will conform to the contours of the back better and provide much better coverage.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    Not extreme issues, but my back and neck have been giving me problems and I have found that a good deep tissue massage helps with the issues of sitting at a desk all day and staring at a computer..  Lots of stretching and some weight training is key for me too.  
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited May 2022
    Cheers for the advice everyone, the pain is intermittent and seems to have travelled to my neck, shoulder and right arm. I'm sure shooting pain down my right arm isn't a good sign. I've booked in for physio but need to wait a couple of weeks for the next available appointment. I think a deep tissue massage in the interim will be well received. 
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218
    Cheers for the advice everyone, the pain is intermittent and seems to have travelled to my neck, shoulder and right arm. I'm sure shooting pain down my right arm isn't a good sign. I've booked in for physio but need to wait a couple of weeks for the next available appointment. I think a deep tissue massage in the interim will be well received. 
    I've had the pain down the arm with a herniated disk.  Disk pressing on a nerve.  Did physical therapy when I first felt it and now if/when I feel it coming on I go back to the stretches and exercises they gave me.   I've gone to physical therapy 2x for my back. Once for the herniated disk and once for lower back pain.  It's pretty amazing how they can get you to feel better with some massage and small exercises.  Good luck with it.  I don't wish back pain on anyone. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    If the pain is chronic and over a 7 on the pain scale see a Dr. an MD. If they suggest surgery, see another Dr. Avoid pain meds at all costs, it is a slippery slope.  As others have said, STRETCH. I do not have pain, but my back gets tight and uncomfortable. Simple stretching does wonders. I prefer heat over cold and use a heat pad for my lower back after a long day on my feet. My wife bought me one of those heated massagers which really helps with the upper back/shoulders, but I will not use it on the lower back.  Also, if you have desk job, standing desk and a gel mat are must haves.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,997
    I hope your back feels better. For me it is my neck. I have an issue with my C4 and C5 vertebrae. I saw a physical medicine doctor - who deals a lot with sports and rehabilitative medicine. He gave me a series of neck exercises to do at home that really help. I was getting something called cervogenic headaches from the neck pain and I haven’t had one in 2 weeks. I am hoping that is a good sign. Getting older sucks!! Too much wear and tear. 
  • Options
    Thanks all.  Yes, I'm sure it's a sign of old age; sitting at the computer; bad posture and not lifting or stretching properly. Today I actually feel a lot better and the shooting arms pains seem to have ceased which is cool as it's been so bloody painful. I'll keep the physio appointment though just in case. 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    edited May 2022
    I would recommend Pilates. I've been doing it for ten years and it has seriously helped my back. It focuses on strengthening the muscles in your core which eleviates pressure off your spine. 
    I can't say enough good things about it.
    Post edited by eddiec on
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    I would recommend Pilates. I've been doing it for ten years and it has seriously helped my back. It focuses on strengthening the muscles in your core which eleviates pressure off your spine. 
    I love Pilates. I do that and yoga regularly. I haven’t done reformer Pilates, just floor Pilates. Do you use the machines?
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,840
    GlowGirl said:
    eddiec said:
    I love Pilates. I do that and yoga regularly. I haven’t done reformer Pilates, just floor Pilates. Do you use the machines?
    I did one class on the Reformer but I prefer just doing matwork.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    I too have had issues with my back - thought it was kidney stones the first time; turned out to be a pinched nerve.  It can be debilitating, I couldn't put weight on my right leg for days.  I remember being in the emergency room and they gave me a shot of morphine, by the time they took me to X-ray; tears were rolling down my face.  The technician said, didn't they give you anything, and I said, yea but it didn't work.  The only solution for me was very, very limited activity for a good 4 days and it resolved itself.  The first time it happened, I remember thinking, am I going to be like this for the rest of my life???  There are so many things that could cause back issues; and without a doubt, you need to find out what your exact issue is; otherwise, you can't properly manage it. 
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    GlowGirl said:
    eddiec said:
    I did one class on the Reformer but I prefer just doing matwork.
    I have only done the mat classes. My gym offers the reformer classes but they are not included in the membership fee like the mat classes are. I definitely feel like my abs are getting stronger though. 
  • Options
    Sounds horrible @PureandEasy