Monty Python

Comments

• Ministry of Silly Walks is one of my favorites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w
  • geishagrrlgeishagrrl Posts: 130
    I LOVE Python! Especially the shows. I feel like I grew up watching them. I always had a thing for Michael Palin, not sure why.

Aside from a few that had already been mentioned (Upper Class Twit, Spam, Spanish Inquisition) these are a few of my favorites:
    The Reenactment of Pearl Harbor:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqSmiC_xHg
    Queen Victoria Handicap:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktYMkxD0Fzc
    Lumberjack Song
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xToPCaNxaow
    and of course anything involving Gumby:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Ixe95CZOE

Love It!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    geishagrrl wrote:
    The Reenactment of Pearl Harbor:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqSmiC_xHg
    haha i love this one :D
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    I always say this at holiday dinners... "one more thin mint?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlK62rjQWLk

:D
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    itsevobaby wrote:
    i'm such a monty python geek :o

REALLY? I never would have guessed. ;):p
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    ...And Finally sir, I Waffer thin Mint

Fuck Off I'm full!

But sir, It's only WAFFER thin!
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Love Python, hate the knobheads who always quote it, especially in the Terry Jones voice.

There's a great bit in the UK version of The Office involving David Brent and his collegue Finchy which shows exactly what I'm talking about.
    ...And Finally sir, I Waffer thin Mint

Fuck Off I'm full!

But sir, It's only WAFFER thin!

I friggen luv that!!! hehehe... damn must be the 1/4 Irish-English coming out
    OMG laughing what a Monty Python geek I am too... one should never forget Eric the Fruit bat.... hold Im looking for the vid on utoob... will edit
    Here this one is from a real florist laughing their ass off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Ixe95CZOE&feature=related
    jamie uk wrote:
    :D:D:D
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    REALLY? I never would have guessed. ;):p
    Oi you!

take your curb your enthusiasm & go sit in the corner :p;)
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    itsevobaby wrote:
    Oi you!

take your curb your enthusiasm & go sit in the corner :p;)

:mad:

what's wrong with Curb?? :p You would like it.

I'm going to go watch it now!! :eek:
  • jrdjrd Posts: 3,060
    stu gee wrote:
    Blessed are the cheesemakers.

i think he was referring to all manufacturers of dairy products...
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
    OMG laughing what a Monty Python geek I am too... one should never forget Eric the Fruit bat.... hold Im looking for the vid on utoob... will edit

and don't forget Eric the half-a-bee...
    Oh yeah? Well, I've had about enough of morons and halfwits, dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells - and you chowderhead yokel, you blithering hayseed, you - you've had enough of me?
    jrd wrote:
    and don't forget Eric the half-a-bee...
    With Ginger, as the half-man, half-woman, parrot whose unnatural instincts brought forbidden love in the aviary. And Roger as Pip, the half-parrot, half-man, half-woman, three-quarter badger, ex-bigamist negro preacher, for whom banjo-playing was very difficult, and he never mastered it although he took several courses and went to banjo college... er... and everything... don't miss it!
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    itsevobaby wrote:
    With Ginger, as the half-man, half-woman, parrot whose unnatural instincts brought forbidden love in the aviary. And Roger as Pip, the half-parrot, half-man, half-woman, three-quarter badger, ex-bigamist negro preacher, for whom banjo-playing was very difficult, and he never mastered it although he took several courses and went to banjo college... er... and everything... don't miss it!

Now stop that, it's just getting silly!

p.s. my hovercraft is full of eels.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    jamie uk wrote:

thats actually quite poor imo.

sorry, its slightly amusing at best... i wouldnt watch it and have tears in my eyes from laughter... i might smirk or something.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    and of course! the whole Michael Ellis episode. :D

my favourite part being the Electric Kettles/Toupee Hall bit.

(Spanish (I think) subtitles but deal with it!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie48MBNQ_bY&feature=related
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    dunkman wrote:
    thats actually quite poor imo.

sorry, its slightly amusing at best... i wouldnt watch it and have tears in my eyes from laughter... i might smirk or something.

yeah, but silliness just for the sake of being silly is a BIG part of it. :) I mean, that sketch serves no purpose, they had to get the whole crew together just for that.. and there it is.

it's an idea someone (Michael Palin I reckon) got and they just did it. that's one of the things I really love about Monty Python.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    gotta say i haven't seen any movies (*ducks*), but
    1) i recently saw Spamalot on broadway & liked it- very funny
    2) used the song 'every sperm is sacred' for my health project on you know what! (teacher got a kick out of that! really-he actually loved it!!)

so i guess i'll have to check the movies out!
    samjam wrote:
    gotta say i haven't seen any movies (*ducks*), but
    1) i recently saw Spamalot on broadway & liked it- very funny
    2) used the song 'every sperm is sacred' for my health project on you know what! (teacher got a kick out of that! really-he actually loved it!!)

so i guess i'll have to check the movies out!

oh you definitely should! :) they're grand. (though like said, there are brilliant and not-so-brilliant pieces in all of them.)

well, I now have Every Sperm Is Sacred playing in my head. :rolleyes: :p it's a funny song and the sequence in the movie (The Meaning of Life) is very well done too.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    eMMI wrote:
    yeah, but silliness just for the sake of being silly is a BIG part of it. :) I mean, that sketch serves no purpose, they had to get the whole crew together just for that.. and there it is.

it's an idea someone (Michael Palin I reckon) got and they just did it. that's one of the things I really love about Monty Python.

so basically if i got me, Jamie Uk and Finsy to sit in an alleyway dressed as 3 mexican gunslingers and have us caress an anvil whilst repeating "oh sooo soft" in a differing degree of accents it would be considered silly... but not comedy unlessi got a film crew to film it.

the clip is silly... but then so is a man wearing a suit made out of toast and shouting "pigeons pigeons, meet me for dinner at 6.30pm, Trafalgars Square"..
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    so basically if i got me, Jamie Uk and Finsy to sit in an alleyway dressed as 3 mexican gunslingers and have us caress an anvil whilst repeating "oh sooo soft" in a differing degree of accents it would be considered silly... but not comedy unlessi got a film crew to film it.

the clip is silly... but then so is a man wearing a suit made out of toast and shouting "pigeons pigeons, meet me for dinner at 6.30pm, Trafalgars Square"..

it would definitely be considered silly. and yes, it would be comedy even without the film-crew. I guess.. it would make it sillier if you got a whole film crew to film it. of course, this is all my opinion and not in fact the word of God. :D

EDIT: of course, there's a fine line of your performance turning from funny-silly to silly-as-in-crazy-and-that-didn't-even-make-me-laugh.

also, people laugh at different things dear (as you know). I like Monty Python, you don't, it's all quite alright.
    eMMI wrote:
    also, people laugh at different things dear (as you know). I like Monty Python, you don't, it's all quite alright.

quite right...

you're all individuals, you're all different...
    jrd wrote:
    quite right...

you're all individuals, you're all different...
    *puts hand up* i'm not
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016