Options

Monty Python

eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
edited September 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
I was asked to start this thread cause my Python quotes were getting out of control. ;)

and I hope this thread will not die in a matter of days cause.. well, Monty Python just rules too much for something like that!!

so, who's with me? who loves the Pythons?

only the movies? only Flying Circus? both? do you quote them in real life? :D who's your favourite member? have you followed their post-Python careers? whaddya think?

so this thread is for all things pythonesque. quote them, praise them, discuss, tell us why you don't like them (I know you Python-dislikers exist!)..

Get on with it!

and FYI, I will be relenlessy bumping this thread if yous won't participate. :p
"Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    Spam and eggs, Eggs and spam, Your mother was a hamster... and the classic... its only a flesh wound
  • Options
    Spam and eggs, Eggs and spam, Your mother was a hamster... and the classic... its only a flesh wound

I've had worse. :D was just watching that last night.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    "no, on second thought, lets not go to camelot. tis a silly place".

"help! he's oppressing me!"

"why do you think we have these outrageous accents??"

"i told him we already got one!"

etc, etc, someone stop me, i could do this all day...
  • Options
    personally I love the series. I know some people find Python humour hard to get "into" when it's in about 30 min snippets.. but there just are some sketches you can't help but love! Salad Days, Upper Class Twit of the Year, the Pet Shop, the Restaurant Sketch.. :D
  • Options
    jammergirl wrote:
    "no, on second thought, lets not go to camelot. tis a silly place".

"help! he's oppressing me!"

"why do you think we have these outrageous accents??"

"i told him we already got one!"

etc, etc, someone stop me, i could do this all day...

ha! do it all day! :D

"Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie."

"Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I like the Four Yorkshiremen sketch
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRBkgshj8Cw

...and Oliver has run himself over...
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    mole1985 wrote:
    Awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRBkgshj8Cw

...and Oliver has run himself over...

I love that, absolutely love that. :D

do you know Salad Days? I'd post a link.. but it's very.. bloody.. and I don't want unprepaded people clicking on it and get a nasty shock. :p

EDIT: mentioned that particular sketch cause I couldn't stop giggling at it few nights ago. :o
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Blessed are the cheesemakers.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Biggus Dickus - One of the funniest movie moments ive ever seen :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p_dWMy47Bmk
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I was never allowed to watch it. Think they may've dissed Jesus or sumfink.
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    eMMI wrote:

do you know Salad Days? I'd post a link.. but it's very.. bloody.. and I don't want unprepaded people clicking on it and get a nasty shock. :p

EDIT: mentioned that particular sketch cause I couldn't stop giggling at it few nights ago. :o

Get on with it!! and stop sniffing.

Nobody expects...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHGOl-jfUK0&feature=related
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    eMMI wrote:

Doesn't stop me posting Derek and Clive. ;)
  • Options

well post whatevers you want. :p it's your conscience not mine. ;)
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838

I was watching them earlier on youtube.

Derek & Clive get the horn :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i'm not a big python fan to be honest! smart blokes acting like kids... thats a typical saturday night in an England Rugby Club bar
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    The show is brilliant. The movies were OK, but I don't think they were as good as the show (except Holy Grail, that was fantastic).
    I think my favorites are Cheese Shop, The Interview, the entire episode of The Buzz Aldrin Show, and:
    "I wouldn't become a free mason now if you got down on your lousy stinking knees and begged me!"
    "There's a dead bishop on the landing! Call The Church Police!"
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    I loved it as a teenager. But, like a lot of BBC comedy, it's been repeated until it's no longer funny but profoundly irritating. I also find myself hurriedly switching off Fawlty Towers when I come across it on the box, and it shouldn't be that way because I loved that show too.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I loved it as a teenager. But, like a lot of BBC comedy, it's been repeated until it's no longer funny but profoundly irritating. I also find myself hurriedly switching off Fawlty Towers when I come across it on the box, and it shouldn't be that way because I loved that show too.

we're old Fins :D

i cant watch Fawlty Towers and yet i know it was brilliant... now i just find it utterly infuriating... i keep expecting a vicar to come in on the scene with his trousers down and a nun seeing him or something... its farcical.. but it was and probably still is quite funny.

as for Python, well same thing.. we had a guy at work, I use past tense as i killed him, who used to come out with Python quotes... ok they might be funny in the context of the movie/show but when i'm trying to show you how a digital map is captured i'd rather shag a scabby monk
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    we're old Fins :D

i cant watch Fawlty Towers and yet i know it was brilliant... now i just find it utterly infuriating... i keep expecting a vicar to come in on the scene with his trousers down and a nun seeing him or something... its farcical.. but it was and probably still is quite funny.

as for Python, well same thing.. we had a guy at work, I use past tense as i killed him, who used to come out with Python quotes... ok they might be funny in the context of the movie/show but when i'm trying to show you how a digital map is captured i'd rather shag a scabby monk
    hahahaaa

its because it isn't noevlty to you all! to me I love that because it was like a treat. we ddidnt have that humour around. hahaha

I love python sketches I love the one (its my favorite) of Eric Idle getting super excited talking about http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JFKz-OsUUoY

hahaaha it makes me laugh so much.

also I love the hell out of Terry Jones http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsd2yMSonE8 especiallly when he palys a woman! hahahahaa
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    you are all individuals...
    just coz 1 person likes the python, doesnt mean we all should :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T1LIrzsgqA
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    FrankieJFrankieJ Posts: 602
    I only watch the Holy Grail Movie.

I am 17 and have seen the movie nnumerous times because our "family Tradition" is to watch it on Christmas day. Wierd... I know.

Ni
    GO GIANTS
    GO DEVILS
    7/14/03-PNC NJ ~ 6/1/06-CAA1 NJ ~ 6/3/06-CAA2 NJ ~ 8/5/07-Lolla IL ~ 6/24/08-MSG1 ~ 6/25/08-MSG2 ~ 8/7/08-NJPAC (eV Solo)

"I'm feeling kinda righteous right now...with my Bad@$$-M0therf*ck!n'-Ukulele!"
    -eV 8/7
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    the atilla the hun show! :D

oh, and "dennis moore, dennis moore, dum da dum dum NIGHT! dennis moore, dennis moore, dum da dum dum FIGHT! he steals da dum dum dum, and dum da dum dum...dennis dum, dennis dee....dum dum dum"

LUPINS!!!

:D:D:D
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    hahahaaa

its because it isn't noevlty to you all! to me I love that because it was like a treat. we ddidnt have that humour around. hahaha

I love python sketches I love the one (its my favorite) of Eric Idle getting super excited talking about http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JFKz-OsUUoY

hahaaha it makes me laugh so much.

also I love the hell out of Terry Jones http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsd2yMSonE8 especiallly when he palys a woman! hahahahaa

yeah the show and movies are definitely not reran to death here. :D I remember watching the Holy Grail with my dad when I was quite young. and it's only recently I've discovered the Flying Circus.

ah yes, Terry Jones, absolutely love him!! one of my favourite female charachters of his is the old lady in that quix show where she gets a blow on the head as a price. :D I forget what it's called..

he seems like such a swell guy too. :) also, have you seen The Wind In the Willows, which Jones directed (and played the part of Toad)? I liked it alot. it's a kid's film but with somewhat Pythonesque humour. Eric Idle, John Cleese and Michael Palin are also in it.
  • Options
    iamica wrote:
    The show is brilliant. The movies were OK, but I don't think they were as good as the show (except Holy Grail, that was fantastic).
    I think my favorites are Cheese Shop, The Interview, the entire episode of The Buzz Aldrin Show, and:
    "I wouldn't become a free mason now if you got down on your lousy stinking knees and begged me!"
    "There's a dead bishop on the landing! Call The Church Police!"

the movies.. well, they all have BRILLIANT stuff in them but also stuff that isn't that good. especially The Meaning of Life. I mean, stuff like the Protestant Couple are excellent.. and then stuff like the philosophical conversation in the restaurant is pretty meh.

then again, Jones chose to leave the restaurant bit in cause it had to do with the meaning of life. (oh the things you'll learn by listening to the commentaries. :D)
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    CUSTOMER: Here's one.
    CART MASTER: Ninepence.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
    CART MASTER: What?
    CUSTOMER: Nothing. Here's your ninepence.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
    CART MASTER: 'Ere. He says he's not dead!
    CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm not!
    CART MASTER: He isn't?
    CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon. He's very ill.
    DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!
    CUSTOMER: No, you're not. You'll be stone dead in a moment.
    CART MASTER: Oh, I can't take him like that. It's against regulations.
    DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go on the cart!
    CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.
    CART MASTER: I can't take him.
    DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!
    CUSTOMER: Well, do us a favour.
    CART MASTER: I can't.
    CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't be long.
    CART MASTER: No, I've got to go to the Robinsons'. They've lost nine today.
    CUSTOMER: Well, when's your next round?
    CART MASTER: Thursday.
    DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk.
    CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone, you know. Look. Isn't there something you can do?
    DEAD PERSON: [singing] I feel happy. I feel happy.
    [whop]
    CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.
    CART MASTER: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
    CUSTOMER: Right. All right. [howl] [clop clop clop] Who's that, then?
    CART MASTER: I dunno. Must be a king.
    CUSTOMER: Why?
    CART MASTER: He hasn't got shit all over him.

~

lifted from: http://www.mwscomp.com

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    the job interview sketch

*cleese rings a bell*

"a gooood niiiight...a-ding-ding-ding-ding"

"FIVE!!! FOUR!!! THREE!!! TWO!!! ONE!!!"

love it, makes absolutely no sense!
    i'm such a monty python geek :o
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    itsevobaby wrote:
    the job interview sketch

*cleese rings a bell*

"a gooood niiiight...a-ding-ding-ding-ding"

"FIVE!!! FOUR!!! THREE!!! TWO!!! ONE!!!"

love it, makes absolutely no sense!
    i'm such a monty python geek :o

hehe. that is an excellent one. :D

also love Death of Mary Queen of Scots and the conversation about the penguin after it.

Second Pepperpot: Besides, if it were from the zoo, it'd have "property of the zoo" stamped on it.
    First Pepperpot: They don't stamp animals "property of the zoo"!! You couldn't stamp a huge lion!!
    Second Pepperpot: (confidently) They stamp them when they're small.
    First Pepperpot: (snapping back) What happens when they moult?
    Second Pepperpot: Lions don't moult.
    First Pepperpot: No, but penguins do. THERE! I've run rings around you logically.
    Second Pepperpot: OOOOH! INTERCOURSE THE PENGUIN!!!
  • Options
    edwho wrote:
    DEAD PERSON: [singing] I feel happy. I feel happy.

~

lifted from: http://www.mwscomp.com

that's probably my favourite line of the whole conversation. he sounds so happy. :o:D
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812

those are the boyos for me to :D
    that is where I get all my quotes :D

As for Python, course, love 'em. Off the top of my head I love the gathering at the mount scene in LOB.

"you call me big nose once more and I'll take you to the fuckin cleaners" :p
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....