Just Cancelled my BlockBuster Account !

Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I had the 2 DVD's at a time through Mail order for $14.99

They sent me this little note the week of Christmas : IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT "To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change slightly from $14.99 to $16.99. This adjustment† will go into effect on your next billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. "

Will $2 break me, NOOOOO it's spite

I haven't had the account for a year yet and they raised it already

I can get 3 Movies at a time from Netflix for $16.99 and not have to worry about going to the store for the 3rd one

I left them a nice nasty gram in the Reason Why you Canceled Box !
My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i just rent movies for $1 at my local super market's DVD vending machine.
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Yeah, I got the same notice from Blockbuster. But I also canceled the credit card they've been billing and I haven't given them a new credit card to bill.
    I need to cancel and send the movie that I've had for 3 months back.
    Yes, I'm a procrastinator...........
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • I actually got something like this several months ago, saying I could stay at $17.99 but then I could only do a max of 5 instore returns per month. If I wanted unlimited instore returns it was like 24.99. Can't remember how it happened, but blockbuster actually cancelled my account for me, I called up and bitched, and bam I was put back to 17.99 with unlimited instore returns.

BUT....then last week I got the email saying it would go up $2 to $19.99 pretty stupid. You have to rent a shitload of movies per month and not care about driving to the store to drop them off, in my opinion to make it worth while. Might be time to go back to netflix.
  • i just rent movies for $1 at my local super market's DVD vending machine.

I like having some movies at the house

Not have to worry about going out to get one if it's late or crappy weather

• PJPixie wrote:
    Yeah, I got the same notice from Blockbuster. But I also canceled the credit card they've been billing and I haven't given them a new credit card to bill.
    I need to cancel and send the movie that I've had for 3 months back.
    Yes, I'm a procrastinator...........

Just in case they tried to say I didn't return the movies I had I waited until I got their confirmation e-mail to cancel my account

I don't trust any company

• I actually got something like this several months ago, saying I could stay at $17.99 but then I could only do a max of 5 instore returns per month. If I wanted unlimited instore returns it was like 24.99. Can't remember how it happened, but blockbuster actually cancelled my account for me, I called up and bitched, and bam I was put back to 17.99 with unlimited instore returns.

BUT....then last week I got the email saying it would go up $2 to $19.99 pretty stupid. You have to rent a shitload of movies per month and not care about driving to the store to drop them off, in my opinion to make it worth while. Might be time to go back to netflix.

They're a joke

How long had you had the account before they changed it on you ?

I can't believe the games they play when you can just go to Netflix

• I had the 2 DVD's at a time through Mail order for $14.99

They sent me this little note the week of Christmas : IMPORTANT NEWS ABOUT YOUR ACCOUNT "To continue to bring you the unmatched convenience of both online and in-store DVD rentals, your monthly subscription fee will change slightly from $14.99 to $16.99. This adjustment† will go into effect on your next billing cycle on or after December 27, 2007. "

Will $2 break me, NOOOOO it's spite

I haven't had the account for a year yet and they raised it already

I can get 3 Movies at a time from Netflix for $16.99 and not have to worry about going to the store for the 3rd one

I left them a nice nasty gram in the Reason Why you Canceled Box !
    16.99 is still a bargain. what's 2 dollars in a month anyway?
    i received the same message and i haven't thought of cancelling my account and i got it for 3 dvd's. so that change 17.99 to 19.99

the blockbuster version of netflix is still the best bargain out there for movie rentals dispite the 2 dollar raise.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.

still sounds like a bargain to me.

we americans can easily get spoiled.
  • 16.99 is still a bargain. what's 2 dollars in a month anyway?
    i received the same message and i haven't thought of cancelling my account and i got it for 3 dvd's. so that change 17.99 to 19.99

the blockbuster version of netflix is still the best bargain out there for movie rentals dispite the 2 dollar raise.

If you go to the store and use the e-coupon

The purpose of Mail order is to not have to worry about going to the store

It's the principle with the $2, not having an account for a year yet and it's increased already ? Thats crap

"I want my 2 dollars...."

• edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    they are going out of business anyway....
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Personally, I think renting is for suckers. I had Netflix for a while, and they were good (better than Blockbuster). But now, I just go to Amazon and get pre-viewed DVDs for a fraction of the price of new ones...then you can watch it whenever you want.
  • i just rent movies for $1 at my local super market's DVD vending machine.

Redbox rocks. There are two Redbox machines within six blocks of my house, so it's easy to stop at either to/from work and see what's available to rent for a buck.
  • Personally, I think renting is for suckers. I had Netflix for a while, and they were good (better than Blockbuster). But now, I just go to Amazon and get pre-viewed DVDs for a fraction of the price of new ones...then you can watch it whenever you want.

I'm not really into buying that many movies

I only buy a select few movies that I might watch again and again otherwise it's one and done !

• you all need to get out there and taste the fresh outdoors.... who has time for movies????!!
  • Redbox rocks. There are two Redbox machines within six blocks of my house, so it's easy to stop at either to/from work and see what's available to rent for a buck.
    the only problem is that the selection is extremely limited. and also let's say that you were to watch 50 movies in a month (which is actually what I average) then you'll be spending $50.00/mo. that's a lot.
  • If you go to the store and use the e-coupon

The purpose of Mail order is to not have to worry about going to the store

It's the principle with the $2, not having an account for a year yet and it's increased already ? Thats crap

"I want my 2 dollars...."
    it's seriously not a big deal.... well, at least not to me. it's still the best bargain out there.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I used to have Blockbuster Total Access (or whatever it was called) but canceled a little while back. I liked the service but it got to the point where I was getting movies, just to get movies, that I really didn't even want to see.
    I may get it again in the future, but I'm not so sure.
  • the only problem is that the selection is extremely limited. and also let's say that you were to watch 50 movies in a month (which is actually what I average) then you'll be spending $50.00/mo. that's a lot.

that's a helluva lot of movies. we only average maybe 2/week, so that's maybe $8/month to rent 8 movies. yeah, sometimes the selection is limited, but we usually find something we want to see.
  • mca47 wrote:
    I used to have Blockbuster Total Access (or whatever it was called) but canceled a little while back. I liked the service but it got to the point where I was getting movies, just to get movies, that I really didn't even want to see.
    I may get it again in the future, but I'm not so sure.
    i'm guilty of the very same thing
  • that's a helluva lot of movies. we only average maybe 2/week, so that's maybe $8/month to rent 8 movies. yeah, sometimes the selection is limited, but we usually find something we want to see.
    in just these last 3 days i've watched 10 films. and i'm about to watch 2 more. ;)

but considering your scenario it's a much better bargain to get the $1 flicks.
  • I cancelled my bally's membership on wednesday......I don't go so why should I keep wasting $53.00 a month....

I like having the flexability to go to the gym when but when I have more free time and when I find a place closer to home I'll join again...
  • the only problem is that the selection is extremely limited. and also let's say that you were to watch 50 movies in a month (which is actually what I average) then you'll be spending $50.00/mo. that's a lot.

Damn ! 50 a month

I don't think I've rented 50 this year !

• Damn ! 50 a month

i havent rented 50 movies in my lifetime....
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • you all need to get out there and taste the fresh outdoors.... who has time for movies????!!

says someone typing on a message board. ;)

i LOVE and adore movies! we watch tons of flicks evry year, at home on dvd and in the theatre. one of my most fave things! we also manage to find time to be outdoors. :D

we have netflix. we had cancelled it a while back b/c we too got in the habit of just renting to rent, and we also fell victim to the not getting new releases right away b/c we were such frequent/regular netflix users. and, we still went to our local video place to rent new movies when they first came out. sadly, our fave video place closed. :( so back to netflix we went. seems better again, and the prie is less than before, so quite nice. i think with taxes and all under $19 a month for 3 at a time.

we had considered blockbuster, briefly....but we HATE blockbuster. very bad store experience years ago, i mean really bad....and we were excellent/regular customers too....so yea, bad taste after that and avoid em like the plague. besides which, they don't carry all films b/c they are 'family-friendly'....like, wtf? :rolleyes: so, glad to hear their online deal isn't such a 'deal' anymore. it just sucks that for 'real' stores, blockbuster has driven so many away, even *big* chains...like my fave, hollywood video.

i have never heard of this redbox....sounds awesome! wish we had one near us!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• says someone typing on a message board. ;)

i LOVE and adore movies! we watch tons of flicks evry year, at home on dvd and in the theatre. one of my most fave things! we also manage to find time to be outdoors. :D

we have netflix. we had cancelled it a while back b/c we too got in the habit of just renting to rent, and we also fell victim to the not getting new releases right away b/c we were such frequent/regular netflix users. and, we still went to our local video place to rent new movies when they first came out. sadly, our fave video place closed. :( so back to netflix we went. seems better again, and the prie is less than before, so quite nice. i think with taxes and all under $19 a month for 3 at a time.

we had considered blockbuster, briefly....but we HATE blockbuster. very bad store experience years ago, i mean really bad....and we were excellent/regular customers too....so yea, bad taste after that and avoid em like the plague. besides which, they don't carry all films b/c they are 'family-friendly'....like, wtf? :rolleyes: so, glad to hear their online deal isn't such a 'deal' anymore. it just sucks that for 'real' stores, blockbuster has driven so many away, even *big* chains...like my fave, hollywood video.

I had a bad experience with BlockBuster as well but I figured I give them another shot

I will give Netflix a try

• I had a bad experience with BlockBuster as well but I figured I give them another shot

I will give Netflix a try

netflix IS good!
    it WAS awesome when we first joined....TONs of movies, getting new releases in our mailbox on the ay released, sometimes the day before. just in time, that fell off.....and we waited longer, and we see so many flicks we ended up renting in stores too. granted, for how much we rent, it IS still an unbelievable deal. we definitely have slowed considerably, but i would say we average 3 a week minimum, so for $19......definitely a great deal. granted, we wouldn't rent that much w/o the set netflix deal, altho back before the whole online video thing we did used to rent 2 - 5 movies a week, and at $3 a pop...pretty pricey! now we also get X amount of free online rentals, meaning watch on the computer. my husband utilizes that often, brings his laptop to work :p....i never do that. but whateva. it IS a really good deal, but i still do miss the immediacy of popping in the video store spur of the moment and getting a new flick or an old one i just *have* to se, right now. kinda how i feel about the demise of record stores too.

c'est la vie, eh?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• says someone typing on a message board. ;)

so what was the bad experience about? please, do tell. :)
  • Damn ! 50 a month

i've seen quite a few movies this year... i bet you anything you've seen more movies than you actually think.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I need to cancel my Netflix account. I never use the fucker. I think it's been six months since I watched anything. Here's the kicker though...my best friend's son....my God son...I gave the password to him and he watches shit all the time. :fp:
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I was quite surprised to find a Blockbuster in Eau Claire