Vick gets 23 months

vitodacatvitodacat Posts: 475
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Seems a little steep to me.

Sentencing guideline was 12-18 months, 1st time offender and takes a plea deal, and gets more then the guideline ??

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
wont let the darkness swallow me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    yes for bankrolling the entire operation and repeatedly stating that he had nothing to do with dog fighting at first. I'm satisfied with the sentencing.

wonder how long till he violates his probation....
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • he'll probably be out in 12-18 anyway

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    24 months until he signs with the Argos!!

ARRRRRRRGOOOOOOOS!
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    even flow? wrote:
    24 months until he signs with the Argos!!

ARRRRRRRGOOOOOOOS!
    Lmao, i wonder if he will be as a good as Ricky Williams in the CFL if that does happen.(which i doubt)
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,204
    not long enough ....it should of been 1yr for evry dog he had killed fucking creep ........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Ah yes, the epic fall of Michael Vick.

Can't wait till the ESPN TV movie.
  • well considering he electrocuted and hung dogs, I say the sentencing isn't as steep as you think it is.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    23 months... he will be out in 10.

thought he would get a longer sentencing than that...
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    I betcha the Falcons wish they could go back in a time machine and never make that trade for him with the Chargers. The Chargers got LT - The Falcons Vick. I wonder where that trade will go down in terms of onesidedness when all is said and done.

But this sentence for all intensive purposes ends his American football career. Counting this year and you figure a year and a half of jail time when all is said and done and probably an additional year of being suspended by the NFL, the odds of him returning to the NFL after a 4 year break are next to none.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    The other two in the case got 18 and 21 months.

Plus he failed a drug test before a court date. I'm sure the judge did not forget that. I mean the guy knew it was coming but still felt he had to blaze one down.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    not long enough ....it should of been 1yr for evry dog he had killed fucking creep ........

Exactly...he should have been sentenced much longer. Asshole..
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    in my world, it's 23 years
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,385
    Don't forget, he'll probably get more time after he goes to court with the State. This was just federal punishment as I understand.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    I thinks its a bit steep
    despite his early denials, he has taken responsibility for his actions and admitted the wrong doing
    two year sentence for vick but Tank and Pacman are free (this troubles me)

Since he already started serving time, i think there is a chance he will be back in the NFL next year
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Get_Right wrote:
    I thinks its a bit steep
    despite his early denials, he has taken responsibility for his actions and admitted the wrong doing

Since he already started serving time, i think there is a chance he will be back in the NFL next year

Early opinion is 2010. tune into sports center tonight though i'm sure they'll be talking about it 24/7

Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in federal prison Monday for financing a dogfighting ring. He also received three years of probation.

http://www.rotoworld.com
    Worst-case scenario. That length is a big surprise; five months higher than the recommended maximum of the prosecutor in Vick's case. Since Vick has already served one month, he can be expected to leave prison in October of 2009. Federal sentences are rarely shortened. If Vick was readmitted into the NFL, what Chris Mortensen believes would happen without any additional penalty, Vick couldn't play until 2010. He would be thirty years old then. Dec. 10 - 10:48 am et
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    this sucks, I miss watching him play, at least I caught him once before it was over. This whole thing makes me laugh at how ridiculous humans are as social beings. For example how many of those people who are sickened by what Vick did to dogs are chomping down on cows, chicken, turkey, pigs, and other animals that are treated just as cruelly as those dogs? What do they do with "underperforming" animals in those settings? It's not much different, but somehow people in this country love their dogs...brilliant.

On the flip side for my wedding we are offering filet mignon, which, in India would get us arrested and treated like critical offenders like Vick, whereas Vick's dog fight would have been treated like nothing out of the ordinary. The interesting this to me is that no journalist has even contemplated writing a story thinking through the issue at hand like this...probably because the meat industry would stop advertising in their papers.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    ryan198 wrote:
    this sucks, I miss watching him play, at least I caught him once before it was over. This whole thing makes me laugh at how ridiculous humans are as social beings. For example how many of those people who are sickened by what Vick did to dogs are chomping down on cows, chicken, turkey, pigs, and other animals that are treated just as cruelly as those dogs? What do they do with "underperforming" animals in those settings? It's not much different, but somehow people in this country love their dogs...brilliant.

On the flip side for my wedding we are offering filet mignon, which, in India would get us arrested and treated like critical offenders like Vick, whereas Vick's dog fight would have been treated like nothing out of the ordinary. The interesting this to me is that no journalist has even contemplated writing a story thinking through the issue at hand like this...probably because the meat industry would stop advertising in their papers.

Have you seen the videos of those dog fights. Yes people in this country are
    upset b/c it was dogs but most people would be upset to see any animals treated that way. I don't think the sentence was harsh enough.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    vitodacat wrote:

Sentencing guideline was 12-18 months, 1st time offender and takes a plea deal, and gets more then the guideline ??

no, not really. He never did fully come clean and lied to the court, then he failed a drug test. 85% of the sentence means 19 and a half months. Then 3 years probation.

The recommendation was changed to 18-24 after he failed the lie detector test.

He made a lot of this a lot harder on himself than he had too. I loved watching him play for the last 6 years... I was as big a supporter as you could get for his play on the field... but he's just not earned any shred of trust. I don't doubt he's not a jerk to most people he's a likeable guy... but this is a lifestyle he never should have been involved in and he's at best a habitual screw up with terrible judgement. He'll get out and maybe play in 2009 or 2010 but he's got to reform himself.

Really sad.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    Have you seen the videos of those dog fights. Yes people in this country are
    upset b/c it was dogs but most people would be upset to see any animals treated that way. I don't think the sentence was harsh enough.
    have you seen videos/documentaries on what happens with the food you eat? Cows injected with 'roids to make their udders more full of milk, some become infected and the puss drips into the products we drink. How about putting the baby cows in stands so that they don't move so that our veal is more tasty? How about overstocking hogs in poor living conditions so that they pollute our water supplies like in North Carolina? This stuff happens with any animal we just only seem to care in the U.S. when it comes to dogs/cats, but it's fine when any other animal is subject to the same type of conditions. To me it just seems weird.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    He deserves jail time, but the judge is out of line imo. To go above and beyond the prosecutions sentencing reccomendations is not common practice in trials for killing humans.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
    MCG wrote:
    He deserves jail time, but the judge is out of line imo. To go above and beyond the prosecutions sentencing reccomendations is not common practice in trials for killing humans.

yes it is.. the guidelines are just that, guidelines. It is up to the judge's discretion to dole out the sentence he seems fit. And after Vick's failed drug test after his plea, I can see why the judge would and should up the punishment.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

chromiam wrote:
    yes it is

No, it is not common practice. If the prosecution reccomends life, the judge/jury rarely hands down a death sentence.
    Which came first,
    MCG wrote:
    No, it is not common practice. If the prosecution reccomends life, the judge/jury rarely hands down a death sentence.

well if the prosecution recommended life, I would hope that the judge/jury didn't hand down the death sentence since they are two completely different things. It is practice for judges and juries to make informed decisions using sentencing guidelines. Some judges take the low end of the guideline and start up from there, others start from the middle and work up or down. This judge subscribes to the latter policy and Vick's sentence is indicative of that.

Admin

chromiam wrote:
    well if the prosecution recommended life, I would hope that the judge/jury didn't hand down the death sentence since they are two completely different things. It is practice for judges and juries to make informed decisions using sentencing guidelines. Some judges take the low end of the guideline and start up from there, others start from the middle and work up or down. This judge subscribes to the latter policy and Vick's sentence is indicative of that.

You have no idea what you are talking about and it is quite obvious. This agument can no longer contribute anything of interest to the forum.
    Which came first,
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Get_Right wrote:
    I thinks its a bit steep

Tank served the time for a far lesser crime....Pacman is still awaiting trial on some of his trouble...plus Vick took no responibility for his actions until the 11th hour.......I don't suspect that he will be back in the NFL next year.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    MCG wrote:

EXACTLY
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    vitodacat wrote:

This was hilarious, coming from someone named vitodacat
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    ryan198 wrote:
    have you seen videos/documentaries on what happens with the food you eat? Cows injected with 'roids to make their udders more full of milk, some become infected and the puss drips into the products we drink. How about putting the baby cows in stands so that they don't move so that our veal is more tasty? How about overstocking hogs in poor living conditions so that they pollute our water supplies like in North Carolina? This stuff happens with any animal we just only seem to care in the U.S. when it comes to dogs/cats, but it's fine when any other animal is subject to the same type of conditions. To me it just seems weird.

I have seen it and i feel the same way about the way those animals are treated. I just think he's getting off a little easy b/c who he is. He's not exactley a saint who made a misstake and he doesn't seem to
    care either.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    MCG wrote:

As part of his plea agreement Michael waived his right to appeal the sentence. When he entered his plea the judge reminded him that not only did he give up his right to appeal but also that the judge was not bound to follow the government's recommendation regarding sentencing.

Two things operated against Michael at the sentencing. The first is that as part of his plea agreement he was required to cooperate with the government. We now know that even though his public statement suggested he was accepting responsibility for his conduct, in his dealings with the federal government, he continued to deny his involvement in killing dogs. It was not until he had an unfavorable result on a lie detector that Michael actually came clean and acknowledged participating in and killing dogs. The other factor that worked against him was there were certain conditions on his release when he was arraigned. One of them was not to use illegal substances. He ultimately tested positive for marijuana. The judge actually looked at the federal guidelines for sentencing and gave Michael two points that took the sentencing range from 12-18 months to 18-24 months.

In the federal prison system a prisoner typically serves 85 percent of the sentence if there are no complicating factors while he is actually incarcerated. So Michael should serve 15-20 months.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I have seen it and i feel the same way about the way those animals are treated. I just think he's getting off a little easy b/c who he is. He's not exactley a saint who made a misstake and he doesn't seem to
    care either.
    I think we are somewhat on the same page, all I am saying is that the corporate CEO's that make mad loot off of doing the same thing to other animals should be put to the same criminal proceedings if they are doing essentially the same thing. OR neither could be criminal activities...I just don't see the reason for differentiating between cruel animal treatment.