Options

Green Tea Latte from Starbucks

failedpersephonefailedpersephone Posts: 3,424
edited August 2008 in All Encompassing Trip
SO I was drinking a green tea latte from starbucks (I usually go to coffee bean and tea leaf - so don't yell at me)

and it tasted like dishwater.

so i had to go back and I told the dude and he was like "SIGH...we can give you a new one." and I said I didn't want a new one, I just wanted them to know that their machine or something was broken.

and he rolls his surly little emo eyes at me and is very rude about it.

"you don't want a new one - you just wanted to complain? well...thanks, lady" TOTALLY sarcastic.

So...I asked to talk to his manager - and I am not one of those types of people...anyhow, she started to yell at him and they got into this huge argument and he told her to go "F" her self and left...like left his job...

of course the entire staff and all of the customers were staring at me...like I got this punk ass fired.

and the manager gave me 20 vouchers. and I dont even want them!

so - here is the thing...I didn't want a new latte since, it wouldn't be possible for me to drink it after drinking DISHWATER...but, I just wanted them to know that there was a problem with their equipment...

ugh...what the hell happened??? that is what i was left thinking.

should I have just not said anything? because normally I wouldn't have said anything...

ugh, anyhow it was embarrassing and horrible.
IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    that was pointless, and you seem like an idiot
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    that was pointless, and you seem like an idiot

Agreed.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    SO I was drinking a green tea latte from starbucks (I usually go to coffee bean and tea leaf - so don't yell at me)

so i had to go back and I told the dude and he was like "SIGH...we can give you a new one." and I said I didn't want a new one, I just wanted them to know that their machine or something was broken.

"you don't want a new one - you just wanted to complain? well...thanks, lady" TOTALLY sarcastic.

So...I asked to talk to his manager - and I am not one of those types of people...anyhow, she started to yell at him and they got into this huge argument and he told her to go "F" her self and left...like left his job...

of course the entire staff and all of the customers were staring at me...like I got this punk ass fired.

so - here is the thing...I didn't want a new latte since, it wouldn't be possible for me to drink it after drinking DISHWATER...but, I just wanted them to know that there was a problem with their equipment...

should I have just not said anything? because normally I wouldn't have said anything...

I use to manage a restaurant. You shouldn’t have complained to the manger, you should have just took a new drink and let it go. It’s rough working in the food business. Have mercy on the poor souls who do.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    hindsight is 20/20 ... i'm sure you wouldn't have made that big a deal of it had you known the outcome but you can't so shit like this happens all the time ...

only person you gotta answer to in this world is yourself
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    I use to manage a restaurant. You shouldn’t have complained to the manger, you should have just took a new drink and let it go. It’s rough working in the food business. Have mercy on the poor souls who do.

you're right....a customer should never complain about a shitty product :rolleyes:
  • Options
    kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    I worked at Starbucks FOREVER, and the big thing with them is that if you aren't happy with your product, you either get a new one or get a refund. I think FP did the right thing--hell, those things aren't cheap. It's not FP's fault that the manager and the employee got into a shouting match. It seems like FP didn't create the scene, the Starbucks' employees did. Lighten up a bit on FP.

Although I don't follow the "customer is always right" philosophy at my store, I do appreciate it when a customer lets me know that something isn't right or they aren't happy. The Starbucks employee should have read his manual, and gotten the manager when he realized he couldn't help FP.

BTW, a green tea latte sounds nasty in the first place. Some of the things they come up with are just sad. Poor Starbucks...

Take care.
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • Options
    SammyK14SammyK14 Posts: 287

i'll take them!
    5 years of Jam...

06: Pittsburgh
    07: Lollapalooza
    08: Bonnaroo, DC
    EV (second row!!!!!!) in DC
    09: Philly 2 & 3
    10: Newark
  • Options
    Although I can't figure out why you posted this on "The Porch", I don't see any problem in what you did. You paid for something, it was poorly made, and you wanted to make the staff aware that they were serving something that wasn't right.

The fact that the snotty emo kid behind the counter was unable to handle such a small situtation without sarcasm isn't your problem. The inability of the store to provide adequate service isn't your problem. Most importantly, the sensitive nature of those working in the food service industry isn't your problem. Food service IS a demanding, and often frustrating business to work in . I haven't dealt with it since about 10 years ago, and have since moved on to bigger and brighter things, but I spent my teen years and early 20's working in a similar atmosphere. It's a hectic job with little in the way of pay, but the fact remains:

If it was fun, you wouldn't get paid. You take a job in full understanding of what the posistion entails, and the money you will be paid to provide that service. If it's too much for you, then go work somewhere less "demanding".

Damn emo kids. LOL!
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    bryn_cmbsbryn_cmbs Posts: 407
    cutback wrote:
    you're right....a customer should never complain about a shitty product :rolleyes:

I didn't say that, I said she sould have took the replacement drink that was offered and left it at that. She complained to the manger and it ended up with the kid losing his job and making a scene.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Fuck the kid who got fired. He deserved it. You did nothing wrong. His attitude toward his job, the customer, and his manager, is what got that self-important kid fired. Think of what you did as community service.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    bryn_cmbs wrote:
    I didn't say that, I said she sould have took the replacement drink that was offered and left it at that. She complained to the manger and it ended up with the kid losing his job and making a scene.

the kid made the scene...she wanted to let them know that the drink wasn't good and it may have something to do with whatever it was made in....in what universe can an employee call tell their boss to fuck off and still have said job? i'd love to work there
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    I'm totally on your side. What you did was exactly right. Maybe these problems are the reason Starbucks is closing so many of its stores.
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    jeffbr wrote:
    His attitude toward his job, the customer, and his manager, is what got that self-important kid fired.

I agree with this. unless you demanded that the manager fire the substandard employee, it's not your fault. it sounds like you mainly wanted him to take notice that their machine might not be working properly, but he wasn't too concerned.

customer service in this country sucks. apparently minimum wage means its ok to suck at your job and not give a shit if the customer is satisfied. it's a sad situation.

edit: from what I've read, starbucks does a great job of advancing its employees and giving them stock options, etc., some incentive to do well, but some people in this country just dont give a shit, and those people dont deserve to have a job.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,649
    manhattan wrote:
    Maybe these problems are the reason Starbucks is closing so many of its stores.

Not sure many is a term I would use for less then 4%.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Rjonesrm20Rjonesrm20 Posts: 380

you must live in L.A.
    1998: Indy 2000: Indy, Cincy 2003: Lexington (m.e.o.), Cincy (cancelled),Indy 2004: Toledo 2005: Atlantic City 2 2006: Cleveland, Cincy 2008: Los Angeles1 (EV solo)-front row center!West Palm Beach-2nd row!, Tampa, Chicago 1&2-(EV solo) 2009: Nashville 1&2(EV solo) Memphis(EV solo) Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    lowlight10 wrote:

customer service in this country sucks. apparently minimum wage means its ok to suck at your job and not give a shit if the customer is satisfied. it's a sad situation.

Exactly. The entire situation could have gone in a comletely different direction if the stupid kid had an ounce of common sense.

failedpersonphone: This latte tastes like dishwater. There might be something wrong with the machine.

barista: I'm sorry, can I make you another one?

failedpersonphone: No thanks, I just wanted you to know that there might be a problem with the machine.

barista: Thanks for letting me know. I'll see if we can figure out what is wrong.

failedpersonphone: Great. Have a nice day.

barista: Thanks. You, too.

That scenario would have taken less than 20 seconds, and everyone would have been back to their day. Instead the kid acted put upon, and completely disrespected the customer and his manager. He turned a non-event into a firing. In the end, everyone wins. The stupid kid gets to find something he's happier with, Starbucks sheds some dead wood, and the customers at that store don't have to put up with that little shit.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    LostdoggieLostdoggie Posts: 257
    That kid sounds like a jerk off.
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone

8/20/98 - Montreal
    8/29/00, 8/30/00 - Mansfield
    7/02/03, 7/03/03, 7/11/03 - Mansfield
    9/28/04, 9/29/04 - Boston
    5/24/06, 5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08, 6/30/08 - Mansfield
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:
    Exactly. The entire situation could have gone in a comletely different direction if the stupid kid had an ounce of common sense.

failedpersonphone: This latte tastes like dishwater. There might be something wrong with the machine.

failedpersonphone: No thanks, I just wanted you to know that there might be a problem with the machine.

barista: Thanks for letting me know. I'll see if we can figure out what is wrong.

That scenario would have taken less than 20 seconds, and everyone would have been back to their day. Instead the kid acted put upon, and completely disrespected the customer and his manager. He turned a non-event into a firing. In the end, everyone wins. The stupid kid gets to find something he's happier with, Starbucks sheds some dead wood, and the customers at that store don't have to put up with that little shit.

I agree with you. You captured it perfectly. I would also guess that the kid was probably like that with other customers and the manager before this episode.
  • Options
    this is related to pearl jam how ??
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I can understand how the kid would get mad, but I would never take it that far. If I knew I made something wrong, and then they complained, then I understand. If for instance a customer tells me they want everything, and then they see the sandwich and decide they didnt want tomatoes, then they can go fuck themselves. (and that has heppened before. I work at a quiznos) I never/ never will believe in the "customer is always right" BS. I just look at any fast food place as a cheap disgusting place to get food. If someone makes a mistake, then big deal. Is it going to ruin your day that there are tomatoes on your sandwich when you didn't want them?

I dont think you over-reacted, and as long as you were nice about it, then thats totally fine. but some people get reeaaal pissy about their FAST food. Just deal with it. The only way I can see someone getting upset is if they are either A)allergic to something in the food (in which case, just tell me) or B) got a completely different sandwich that they ordered. There are more important things in life to worry about then a stupid piece of food you ordered at a fast food chain.

Anytime I order fast food and people mess up on whatever I rodered I just let it slide. I understand how minimum wage can make you not really give a shit about your job. And yes I am going to quit very soon.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    You did the right thing!!!!!!!

Sounds like the little emo kid had issues to start with!!!!

I love the starbucks I go to..... They are the best, 80% of them know me by name and what I drink!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445

It is one thing for the kid to sound apathetic, but seems like he just thru the matter back on you.

It sounds like the fella would have mouthed-off sooner or later, so the incident may have simply been the straw that broke the camel's back.

I am pretty laid-back, but if I ever sense above-average bad attitude from someone in a biz situation, I will say something, even with my clients!....can't no one crack wise with me and not expect something back!
    :)
  • Options
    lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    The only way I can see someone getting upset is if they are either A)allergic to something in the food (in which case, just tell me) or B) got a completely different sandwich that they ordered.

I'm vegetarian. I've never had a piece of meat in my life. you cant understand why I would be upset if I found a piece of ham in my sandwich? it has happened to me several times, and the employee usually seems befuddled as to why I would bother to complain, whether its a piece or an entire sandwich of meat.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,555
    This reminds me of a scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [Los Angeles 5/21/24], [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options

"if you don't shut up I'm gonna kick one hundred percent of your ass!"

:D:D
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Isn't a Green Tea Latte supposed to taste like dishwater?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445

Mister, if you don't shut-up, I'm gonna kick 100% of your ass!
  • Options
    Yeah my exact words to the barista were " hey 'scuse me dude? this GTL tastes pretty foul, I think somethin' is wrong with your machine. this drink has no flavor."

then he got all pissy-assed...so I said "seriously dude I don't want a new drink just let someone know...it's foul, son!" (he rolled his eyes and called his Manager. I didn't really WANT to talk to the manager.

But since the Manager was there I told her the same thing - only I added "dishwater" as a descriptive, and dropped the "dude" and she turns to him and asked if I were offered a replacement...and he freaks about that...which sucked because I was trying to tell them that I was offered one, and didn't want or need it.

I dunno i think it may just be my day. I almost took the arm off of the gas man who came to read the meters today...it should have been a stay under the covers day. hahaa...you know the days where you are trying to help and you end up doing harm? it's been like that.

I get that I didn't cause that emo kid to walk on his job - but I feel like a strange catalyst today...might be a good idea to remove electrical appliances from my reach!
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    jeffbr wrote:

Starbucks employees in my experience have always been pretty pleasant. This guy must have been ready to go. I think when you tell your boss to fuck off and leave it means you quit not got fired. Maybe I'm wrong.....
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    comebackwomancomebackwoman Posts: 7,271
    Sounds like there was already a whole lot of drama going on at that place. You definitely did the right thing. Don't feel bad about it. You're not responsible for him acting like a freak...he did that all on his own.
    There's a light when my baby's in my arms :)