Options

XBox 360 - buyer's remorse

2»

Comments

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    dirt wrote:
    The gaming is pretty good, but I feel that the Xbox pricing is excessive compared to PS3. You have to spend $299 (not the $199 they advertise) to get the system w/ a hard drive for Live. No built-in wireless??? There's another $100. No rechargable battery controller? $30. ...And then there's the Blu-ray factor.

Wal Mart (yeah I know :rolleyes: ) has a PS3 bundle for $488 or something.. a 80GB PS 3 and 2 select PS3 games as well as 4 select Blu-ray movies... PS3 titles aren't that bad but most of the Blu-ray titles are horrible...
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    I have both systems, but tend to use the PS3 more just because of the blue-ray player. Not to take anything away from the x-box. I hear the live capabilities are great, I have just never really got into the whole online gaming thing.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    xbox live is ultimately what makes the system ... it takes a game and exponentially increases it's life ... halo is a great example of that ...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    chromiam wrote:
    Wal Mart (yeah I know :rolleyes: ) has a PS3 bundle for $488 or something.. a 80GB PS 3 and 2 select PS3 games as well as 4 select Blu-ray movies... PS3 titles aren't that bad but most of the Blu-ray titles are horrible...

The Blu-ray choices I got to choose from when I got my PS3 were pretty crappy (I mean, really crappy! LOL!). That said, you can pretty much get any new movie (and many old) on BD now. My local Best Buy has an entire aisle to Blu now, as does my local Blockbuster.

Blu on a nice TV is truly incredible. I've had my 50" 1080p HDTV for a couple years now and I'm still amazed at times when i pop in a BD on my PS3.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    return madden & pick up FIFA.

you won't be sorry.
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    mca47 wrote:
    The Blu-ray choices I got to choose from when I got my PS3 were pretty crappy (I mean, really crappy! LOL!). That said, you can pretty much get any new movie (and many old) on BD now. My local Best Buy has an entire aisle to Blu now, as does my local Blockbuster.

Blu on a nice TV is truly incredible. I've had my 50" 1080p HDTV for a couple years now and I'm still amazed at times when i pop in a BD on my PS3.

I agree that you can get basically any movie on BR now... I was commenting on the selection of "free" BR movies included with the WalMart bundle...
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    polaris wrote:
    xbox live is ultimately what makes the system ... it takes a game and exponentially increases it's life ... halo is a great example of that ...
    Gears 2' co-op campaign and Horde mode is eating up many many hours thanks to live!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,939
    What's your gamer tag? Mines demetrios1 for the Xbox 360. I've only been playing Guitar Hero World Tour like crazy style! Soon it's gonna be Gears Of War baby! :)

There's an option to enable the gamer tag profile to start up automatic. Can I ask you, do you have any other gamer tags saved on your system? I had friends come on over, with over 5 plus gamer tags, and it won't start up with mine by default, but the last one who entered their gamer tag, prior.

Forget now my PS3 gamer tage. Something redmosqutio. Will check tonight! I mostly use it for watching blu-ray discs, and custom downloads from various sites where you can download sweet hd clips! With the latest update, still, it doesn't fix the option if you to watch a movie, and want to download in the background, it won't work. Like how the Xbox 360 does. Hopefully they get that fixed.
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    There are some striking enhancements w/ Blu-ray titles -- I notice it with the audio as much as I do with the video. The firmware updates for PS3 and the up-conversions to standard DVDs look really great too.

As for the Xbox, I haven't really gotten in to Live too much yet but we'll see how it goes...
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    What's your gamer tag? Mines demetrios1 for the Xbox 360. I've only been playing Guitar Hero World Tour like crazy style! Soon it's gonna be Gears Of War baby! :)

There's an option to enable the gamer tag profile to start up automatic. Can I ask you, do you have any other gamer tags saved on your system? I had friends come on over, with over 5 plus gamer tags, and it won't start up with mine by default, but the last one who entered their gamer tag, prior.

Forget now my PS3 gamer tage. Something redmosqutio. Will check tonight! I mostly use it for watching blu-ray discs, and custom downloads from various sites where you can download sweet hd clips! With the latest update, still, it doesn't fix the option if you to watch a movie, and want to download in the background, it won't work. Like how the Xbox 360 does. Hopefully they get that fixed.
    You can go into account details for each profile to change the way it signs in (on the main blade select the gamertag and then go into account management, and then startup (I'm pretty sure startup is not on that first menu, but after act. mgmt).

I don't think that is what dirt meant - I assumed he meant that he has to download his profile from live to his machine every time, which takes around 10 minutes to accomplish.
  • Options
    dirt wrote:
    There are some striking enhancements w/ Blu-ray titles -- I notice it with the audio as much as I do with the video. The firmware updates for PS3 and the up-conversions to standard DVDs look really great too.

As for the Xbox, I haven't really gotten in to Live too much yet but we'll see how it goes...
    If you have older movies on DVD there's not much sense in buying BRD to replace them, as your PS3 upscales the DVDs anyway.
    Some tranfers look really good (The Thing!), and Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are great.
  • Options
    dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Rygar wrote:
    If you have older movies on DVD there's not much sense in buying BRD to replace them, as your PS3 upscales the DVDs anyway.
    Some tranfers look really good (The Thing!), and Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are great.

Exactly. They look really, really good.

However, one old title that got some Blu-ray love: The Song Remains the Same. I think they did an awesome job re-working the audio on that Zeppelin release. Check out the audio on Since I've Been Loving You -- completely sick!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    Gears 2' co-op campaign and Horde mode is eating up many many hours thanks to live!

i asked this question on the COD 5 thread ... but are any of the new games have co-op campaign for 4 or more players? ... my buddies and i like the mission type games - need 4 players tho ...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    polaris wrote:
    i asked this question on the COD 5 thread ... but are any of the new games have co-op campaign for 4 or more players? ... my buddies and i like the mission type games - need 4 players tho ...

COD5 has 4 player co-op
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    COD5 has 4 player co-op

thx
  • Options
    polaris wrote:

The new Left 4 Dead game that comes out this week supports 4-player co-op. The demo is out and is pretty awesome, even though some think it could get repetetive. It's made by the team who made all the Half-Life and Team Fortress games, so you know the online components will be top-notch. It's like an interactive 28 Days Later where you're one of four humans left fighting off hordes and hordes of zombies.
  • Options
    The new Left 4 Dead game that comes out this week supports 4-player co-op. The demo is out and is pretty awesome, even though some think it could get repetetive. It's made by the team who made all the Half-Life and Team Fortress games, so you know the online components will be top-notch. It's like an interactive 28 Days Later where you're one of four humans left fighting off hordes and hordes of zombies.
    Decent but the Source engine is d-a-t-e-d.
    Might grab it, but not for $60 bucks.

Gears 2 is also 4-5 player coop.
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    return madden & pick up FIFA.

you won't be sorry.

for someone who doesn't watch the game that much and certainly doesn't play it, do you think this game could be fun?

i ask because i do enjoy baseball games...actually, the only game i have played is The Bigs and i enjoy it everytime some friends come over

so is FIFA arcade?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    for someone who doesn't watch the game that much and certainly doesn't play it, do you think this game could be fun?

i ask because i do enjoy baseball games...actually, the only game i have played is The Bigs and i enjoy it everytime some friends come over

so is FIFA arcade?
    Are you confused, or am I?
    FIFA = soccer.
  • Options

i d/l it ... it did get boring after a while ... i think the fun part in the game would be in trying to work as a team with your buddies ...
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    Rygar wrote:
    FIFA = soccer.

my post was very confusing...i just read it, sorry :D

i meant that while not particularly liking the game of baseball, i do enjoy playing certain baseball video games.

the same goes for soccer...would i enjoy this game?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    FIFA = soccer.
    I think he is asking if FIFA is an arcade like soccer game or more of a sim

I dont watch/like soccer too much and found soccer games to be fun if playing against a friend.......against the computer, not so much
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?