2008 Baseball Season

Character ZeroCharacter Zero Posts: 96
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Who's excited for baseball season to start?
Personally, spring training can't start soon enough for me.
Talk about your team, you favorite players, whatever you want!!

Go Red Sox!!
I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I'm excited and the Pirates are my favorite team, doesn't make a lot of sense.
  • I think it is great that a lot of teams have taken the approach of promoting from within, developing their own young players.
    One of the best examples is the Rockies, they have an almost entirely home grown team, and it is working well for them.
    Red Sox and Yankees are even realizing that this is how it is done.
    I think it promotes a lot of loyalty on the part of both players and fans.
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • I'm excited and the Pirates are my favorite team, doesn't make a lot of sense.

Hey, I was a fan when the Red Sox dropped stink bombs every year, the only way you can go is up. I do feel for Pirates fans though, their ownership really needs to get it together. That is such a rich baseball history city, and they have great fans, the ownership needs to do them right.
  • Jamie Moyer and his 80 mile per hour fastball owns every one of you AND your favorite teams!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Jamie Moyer and his 80 mile per hour fastball owns every one of you AND your favorite teams!

Lol! I used to play a baseball video game with my dad and I would play Seattle and use him and strike my dad out all the time throwing shit. Haha.

I have to say i'm excited for the Tigers. The middle of their bullpen looks kind of iffy, but they should be able to produce runs more often than not. Plus I thought last year they kind of had a world series/playoff hangover that should hopefully be gone. If Detroit doesn't make it to the ALCS at least I think it will be considered a dissapointment.

Go Tigers!
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Tigers are going to be filthy this year I believe. That line up is just going be vicious. I hope Dontrelle can pick it up again, I want a competitive season all around.
  • Go Sox...Back 2 Back.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • If the Blue Jays stay healthy they may finish the year under 10 games back.

Go Blue Jays!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I can't wait to go west over to Fort Meyers for Opening Day of Spring Training of THE defending World Champions. I met Manny last year, maybe I'll meet Ortiz this year.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Tigers are going to be filthy this year I believe. That line up is just going be vicious. I hope Dontrelle can pick it up again, I want a competitive season all around.

I'd say they and the Red Sox are probably the two best teams in baseball. At least on paper.

Even so, go METS!
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    I'd say they and the Red Sox are probably the two best teams in baseball. At least on paper.

Even so, go METS!

On paper? the Sox are returning their entire World Series line up. Thats about as real life as it gets for me. I'm so excited the team I love didn't dismantle after a championship like the '04 squad did.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    what the heck? you're overlooking the Perfect Pats already?

History happens tomorrow night :D
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • On paper? the Sox are returning their entire World Series line up. Thats about as real life as it gets for me. I'm so excited the team I love didn't dismantle after a championship like the '04 squad did.

Dismantleing that 04 squad lead directly to the 07 championship. They used the draft picks they picked up to draft people like Ellsbury and Buchholz. Getting rid of guys like Pedro, Lowe, and Damon seemed like questionable moves but they reaped the rewards last year and will for at least 5 years to come. They're willingness to stick to their guns is the greatest thing about the Sox now.
  • LongRd. wrote:
    what the heck? you're overlooking the Perfect Pats already?

History happens tomorrow night :D

I still think that no matter how many SB's the Pats win the Red Sox will always be king up here. It's in the blood. It's the father-son thing, passed down from generation to generation. I can remember watching games as a kid with my Dad on Friday nights. Back 15-18 years ago you couldn't even watch Pats home games.
  • cant wait. planning on driving out east to catch games at yankee stadium, fenway, pittsburgh and in philadelphia.
    hopefully i can meet some of you assholes so you can buy me a beer.

go dodges and angels!
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    On paper? the Sox are returning their entire World Series line up. Thats about as real life as it gets for me. I'm so excited the team I love didn't dismantle after a championship like the '04 squad did.

You're definitely right. "On paper" was more referring to the Tigers because even though their lineup seems sick right now, who knows how it'll pull together. The Sox on the other hand are definitely the real deal.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Dismantleing that 04 squad lead directly to the 07 championship. They used the draft picks they picked up to draft people like Ellsbury and Buchholz. Getting rid of guys like Pedro, Lowe, and Damon seemed like questionable moves but they reaped the rewards last year and will for at least 5 years to come. They're willingness to stick to their guns is the greatest thing about the Sox now.

I'm aware of the benefits and it was an incredible move, and there is no doubt that is why they are where they are now. I was speaking on more of an emotional level. Watching Pedro all those years, and Lowe, he was a gamer, and then seeing them go elsewhere just didn't feel right. I'm glad those guys got rings with the Sox and not anybody else.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    I still think that no matter how many SB's the Pats win the Red Sox will always be king up here. It's in the blood. It's the father-son thing, passed down from generation to generation. I can remember watching games as a kid with my Dad on Friday nights. Back 15-18 years ago you couldn't even watch Pats home games.

The Pats could win the next 4 Super Bowls and the Red Sox would still be #1 in Beantown.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• I'm aware of the benefits and it was an incredible move, and there is no doubt that is why they are where they are now. I was speaking on more of an emotional level. Watching Pedro all those years, and Lowe, he was a gamer, and then seeing them go elsewhere just didn't feel right. I'm glad those guys got rings with the Sox and not anybody else.

I totally understand what your talking about. Thinking back on that team and all the emotions that it brought, wow. I can remember calling people at 1am and talking like I was 13 years old.

It was awesome.
  • g under p wrote:
    The Pats could win the next 4 Super Bowls and the Red Sox would still be #1 in Beantown.

Peace

HELL YEAH.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091

GO DODGERS!!!

I won tickets on a radio station last week to their exhibition game with the Red Sox in the L.A. Coliseum :D:D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Lizard wrote:

GO DODGERS!!!

I won tickets on a radio station last week to their exhibition game with the Red Sox in the L.A. Coliseum :D:D

conrats!!! i forgot, i gotta get some seats!! :D
  • Braves fan here.....can't say I'm too excited about the Mets getting Santana....
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    Braves fan here.....can't say I'm too excited about the Mets getting Santana....

ahhh fuck em! Injuries are gonna be the mets worst nightmare. And injuries always happen in baseball. I can't wait to see Texeira in a Braves uni for a full season. Two of the best switch hitters in the game batting back to back....swweeeet!
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."

Hey, that statement applies to me as well. I even went to Piratefest this year. I can't believe how many people still pack the Convention Center for that thing, even after umpteen losing seasons.

My wife and I are planning a nice little ballpark-run for the weekend of our anniversary (this year is the 5th). Our anniversary is Saturday, May 3, and the Pirates are playing at the Nationals new park at 12:30 that day (hopefully we'll be able to get tickets---new ballparks seem to sell out like PJ shows). Then we are driving to Harrisburg to catch their minor league team that evening (we've always heard their ballpark is cool.) We'll stay overnight and catch the Phillies game Sunday afternoon. Then we'll drive home back across PA.

As for this season, I guess I'm pulling for Cleveland or Detroit since my Buccos will be out of contention before tax day. Did I hear right that my man Sean Casey is with the Sox now? I always liked him. Man, the AL is going to be tough this year.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    go padres.
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Did I hear right that my man Sean Casey is with the Sox now? I always liked him. Man, the AL is going to be tough this year.

I didn't know this but I guess it's true. I liked him in Detroit, I'm glad he's in Boston now. The Boston PJ fans will love him, he always played Even Flow as his intro/up to bat song.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Indians are coming out of the AL this year, feel free to quote me on that and be really, really impressed when it happens. 2 Cy Young caliber pitchers in Sabathia and Carmona who now have some playoff experience. Can't wait for the season to start.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm ready for spring training to start! I'm heading down to Fort Myers at the end of March but unfortunately the Sox will be in Japan playing while I'm there. I'll probably try to catch a Twins game though. The lull after the Super Bowl sucks for me. I like college basketball but I'm definitely ready to watch some more baseball by the time March Madness gets here.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
  • Indians are coming out of the AL this year, feel free to quote me on that and be really, really impressed when it happens. 2 Cy Young caliber pitchers in Sabathia and Carmona who now have some playoff experience. Can't wait for the season to start.

With the Redsox in the East and the Tigers, Indians or White Sox possibly claiming 2 spots, could this be the year the Yankees miss the playoffs?
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage