Adventure books!

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Yep :) I wonder if more of the survivors did... cos I'm determined to get to the bottom of it now :D

It's tough reading though when you know what's coming for some of them... and that they're real people, not just characters in a book.

Yeah, I think that's what I loved most about Shantaram, that it was real. Just seemed to draw me in all the more and made it a much more emotional read because of it. I guess it's better to know than have the bad news sneak up on you. Imagine how much more devestating to not know what's going to happen to some? But yeah, sounds like the Titanic effect. Good point Hels, I'll have to keep that in mind when I read them.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    "Choose Your Own Adventure"

Anyone remember those books?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Danimal wrote:
    "Choose Your Own Adventure"

Anyone remember those books?
    Nope.. what were they?

Jeanie. I can't wait til ya read them and then we can discuss on the other thread :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Nope.. what were they?

Jeanie. I can't wait til ya read them and then we can discuss on the other thread :D

They are little kids books. I used to read them all the time.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Danimal wrote:
    They are little kids books. I used to read them all the time.
    :D Awww... well I'm not really into kids books right NOW... I'm sure I'll go through a phase of that in the near future though.

I really wanna read Enid Blytons The Faraway Tree again :D cos it was FANTASTIC when I was a kid :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Faraway_Tree_series
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Nope.. what were they?

Writing them on my book list right now Hels! :D Should pick them up over the weekend. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Writing them on my book list right now Hels! :D Should pick them up over the weekend. :)
    Yayyyyyyyyyyyyy :) You'll have them read by Monday then so :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    :D Awww... well I'm not really into kids books right NOW... I'm sure I'll go through a phase of that in the near future though.

I really wanna read Enid Blytons The Faraway Tree again :D cos it was FANTASTIC when I was a kid :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Faraway_Tree_series
    Hey, The Faraway Tree was my favourite aswell, wasn't there a bloke with a big moon shaped head, and also one with a saucepan on his nut? Or did I dream that?
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Oooooooooohhhh Helen I love you! I am a voracious reader of adventure/historic adventure books. I go through them like an elder eating Indian Tacos at a pow wow
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • jamie uk wrote:
    Hey, The Faraway Tree was my favourite aswell, wasn't there a bloke with a big moon shaped head, and also one with a saucepan on his nut? Or did I dream that?
    Yep.. eh... moonface and mr saucepan man, I think :o

I remember being absolutely amazed by that book.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Oooooooooohhhh Helen I love you! I am a voracious reader of adventure/historic adventure books. I go through them like an elder eating Indian Tacos at a pow wow
    :D You must have some recommendations then so?

I've only started but can't believe I wasted so long reading such shite when there are such amazing REAL life stories out there.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • polaris wrote:
    it's a recount of a really bad season on K2 (second highest peak - some, say the tougher climb) ... i think 7 died that season or something and its the story told by one of the survivors ... it also intertwines his passion and motivation for the mountain that gives a great insight into how mountaineers operate ...

http://www.amazon.com/Kurt-Diemberger-Omnibus-Summits-Secrets/dp/0898866065

crikey - i didn't know there were so many books with that title ... :)
    I must have a look for this one... I'm STILL on this buzz. I've read several of them now :D . Touching the void was a great recommendation... thoroughly enjoyed that one. And now I'm following up with some of his other books. Just finished 'this game of ghosts' which is another good read and the 'sequel' to touching the void. And this morning I started 'dark shadows falling' which has started so far so good :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Jeanie wrote:
    did you ever get around to reading them Jeanie?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    did you ever get around to reading them Jeanie?

No Hels. :o I have no idea what I've done with my book list I had with all the great suggestions from the pit. They were on it. And then I just forgot all about it till you reminded me. In my defence, I do have a mind like a goldfish! ;):o

Anyway, I'm reading Into The Wild at the moment, oh and chaddle's book. :)

But I'll start another booklist today and pop those on it again. With a bit of luck I'll be able to pick them up after Christmas. Thanks for reminding me! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    No Hels. :o I have no idea what I've done with my book list I had with all the great suggestions from the pit. They were on it. And then I just forgot all about it till you reminded me. In my defence, I do have a mind like a goldfish! ; ) : o

Anyway, I'm reading Into The Wild at the moment, oh and chaddle's book. : )

But I'll start another booklist today and pop those on it again. With a bit of luck I'll be able to pick them up after Christmas. Thanks for reminding me! : )
    Hahaa... no pressure m'dear :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Hahaa... no pressure m'dear :)

Oh Hels! :o But I do feel the pressure! :eek: I've got really slack about reading. I have a pile of books beside the bed that I just had to have, that I really want to read, I just can't seem to get into anything. :( Lately I've had the concentration span of a gnat! It's really bad. I think the last book that I got truly lost in and had to read it cover to cover in under a week was the final Harry Potter.
    I used to read all the time. I mean as a kid I was a voracious reader. And even as I grew up, always with the reading. But I dunno, I just can't seem to get into it lately. It's really disappointing. :(
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Oh Hels! :o But I do feel the pressure! :eek: I've got really slack about reading. I have a pile of books beside the bed that I just had to have, that I really want to read, I just can't seem to get into anything. :( Lately I've had the concentration span of a gnat! It's really bad. I think the last book that I got truly lost in and had to read it cover to cover in under a week was the final Harry Potter.
    I used to read all the time. I mean as a kid I was a voracious reader. And even as I grew up, always with the reading. But I dunno, I just can't seem to get into it lately. It's really disappointing. :(
    I go through phases... I was a crazy reader when I was younger too and then I didn't read much at all for YEARS until I got into these books. You'll get there :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    I go through phases... I was a crazy reader when I was younger too and then I didn't read much at all for YEARS until I got into these books. You'll get there :)

:) Gee thank Hels. You're probably right. It's just so weird to me is all. I feel like I've lost an old friend. I always got so much pleasure out of curling up and getting lost in a book. And I miss it now. And I'm frustrated with myself. I get a few chapters in and I just lose interest. I've even toyed with the idea of reading the odd Mills & Boon just to get myself back in the habit! :eek: ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • :D mills & boon? If that's what does it for ya and if you think it would work to get back into the habit, go for it. It was actually a Marion Keyes book last year I think kinda started me back reading... it had been so long since I'd read that I wanted something light and well basically easy to read... and it was such a fantastic story. I'm not normally into the whole chick lit thing but this one was called 'anybody out there' and it really was brilliant... maybe you should try something like that?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    mills & boon? If that's what does it for ya and if you think it would work to get back into the habit, go for it. It was actually a Marion Keyes book last year I think kinda started me back reading... it had been so long since I'd read that I wanted something light and well basically easy to read... and it was such a fantastic story. I'm not normally into the whole chick lit thing but this one was called 'anybody out there' and it really was brilliant... maybe you should try something like that?

haha! :D Yeah, how embarrassment? :o But perhaps a romance might be just the thing? At least I know I'd probably read it and finish it. Gosh how crappy would it be if I couldn't even finish one of them? :eek: :o
    Might see if I can get my hands on a Marion Keyes. I think I have her in a book of short stories I got called Girl's Night In. Maybe short stories is the way to go? That way I can build up my concentration again?
    Thanks Hels! That really helped. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    haha! :D Yeah, how embarrassment? :o But perhaps a romance might be just the thing? At least I know I'd probably read it and finish it. Gosh how crappy would it be if I couldn't even finish one of them? :eek: :o
    Might see if I can get my hands on a Marion Keyes. I think I have her in a book of short stories I got called Girl's Night In. Maybe short stories is the way to go? That way I can build up my concentration again?
    Thanks Hels! That really helped. :)
    well it's worth a try. That's the only book of hers I've ever read but it's really hysterically funny, and yet sobbingly sad too and I can't recommend it enough.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    well it's worth a try. That's the only book of hers I've ever read but it's really hysterically funny, and yet sobbingly sad too and I can't recommend it enough.

Just quickly started meself a new booklist and all the suggestions on this thread are on it! :D
    So now I just gotta pull me finger out and get them! :)
    A trip to the library might be in order. :)

Thanks girl. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Jeanie wrote:
    Just quickly started meself a new booklist and all the suggestions on this thread are on it! :D
    So now I just gotta pull me finger out and get them! :)
    A trip to the library might be in order. :)

Thanks girl. :)
    Yep, this is an expensive habit :eek: . There's another one about a polar explorer called Tom Crean... it's called 'an unsung hero' written by Michael Smith. He was probably the most amazing man I've ever read about... superhuman!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Books about road trips or discovering the meaning of life are no longer enough for me it would seem :rolleyes:

Can anyone recommend some books about survival against the odds? About people in extreme conditions. I'm currently reading 'call of the wild' by Guy Grieves... while it really is a brilliant book, I'm really enjoying it, his experience was probably still a little on the 'safe' side. He had help from locals, tools to build his cabin, a DOG for Christ sake :D

Anyway, I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for... but I'm hoping some of you will :) . And nothing too hard... I've a very short concentration span :o :rolleyes:

Check out 'Papillon' if you haven't already. It's an amazing book.
  • well it's worth a try. That's the only book of hers I've ever read but it's really hysterically funny, and yet sobbingly sad too and I can't recommend it enough.

You MUST read all of her books!!! Rachel's Holiday and Last Chance Saloon are probably my faves. Come to think of it I should try to get my hands on a copy of that because I think it is brilliant :D
  • You MUST read all of her books!!! Rachel's Holiday and Last Chance Saloon are probably my faves. Come to think of it I should try to get my hands on a copy of that because I think it is brilliant :D
    :D yep, I do have a couple of home... but I've got so obsessed with this other genre of books for the moment... I've said in another thread when somebody suggested reading something that was unrelated to extreme climbing or polar expeditions, that the thought of it actually, to my surprise, disgusted me :D
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Outside Magazine's top 30 books of all time - for your adventurer types.

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/200710/top-30-books-1.html
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    this book is pretty skinny - Eaters of the Dead. http://www.myshelf.com/literary/06/eatersofthedead.htm
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Outside Magazine's top 30 books of all time - for your adventurer types.

http://outside.away.com/outside/culture/200710/top-30-books-1.html
    wow, into the wild AND into thin air? I'd agree with into thin air but into the wild was good but I don't think it should be that high up.

And I see touching the void's there too :)

Is it just me though or does the top 30 only comprise of 15? :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    :D hard boiled detective kick? Examples? Maybe I can help ya out with THAT one.

Into the wild cannot be found at ANY bookstore in Dublin right now :( cos I found these other ones when I was searching for it. I've ordered it though and they SHOULD have it next week. I think I'd like to buy something this afternoon though.

I like reading them so I WON'T be the first one dead :D . I now know how to build a log cabin... how spruce sap is a great healer... how a dog is ESSENTIAL in the wild... that bacon and beans is one of the best meals you could have... and several other stuff.

See... I'm almost ready :)

i totally lost this thread. oops! anyway, the hard-boiled stuff i read is the classics... dashiell hammett, raymond chandler, that sort of thing.

michael chabon has a new "adventure" book out which is supposed to be a last. about a couple of guys on the old silk road around the turn of the previous millenium.