Options

what do people do on new year's eve

xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
edited December 2007 in All Encompassing Trip
it's never been a big deal for me in terms of partying, over the years, i've stayed home, worked, gone to the movies, gone over other people's houses. so what does everyone else do?
Reading 2004
Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
Chicago 2007
Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
Fenway 2, 2018
MSG 2022
St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
"I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
Things happen in the game. Nothing you
can do. I don't go and say,
"I'm gonna beat this guy up."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I do a "Power Hour" from 11pm to Midnight

Then I drop like the ball

:D
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    it's never been a big deal for me in terms of partying, over the years, i've stayed home, worked, gone to the movies, gone over other people's houses. so what does everyone else do?

this year I got tickets to see chris rock at msg....I'm sure I'll laugh a lot....
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,081
    this year I got tickets to see chris rock at msg....I'm sure I'll laugh a lot....

cool, that sounds like fun. he's always been very funny.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    nothing special....we build a bon fire with friends and just hang out.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    one radio station was giving away tickets...when I first heard it I thought... eww 'Kid Rock'....then it clicked when the radio person said something about it being a funny show...I was like oh....then I thought, let me see, and they had tickets available...I was surprised.....my seats are way up at the top but I'm sure the sound system is great:)
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Last year I took in a WHL (Major Junior) hockey game during the evening, and I think I'll be doing the same this year. As for the actual countdown, I really don't give a shit. I'll probably be sitting here at my Mac, doing nothing of importance.
  • Options
    cool, that sounds like fun. he's always been very funny.

if the show gets out early...if I have time... maybe I'll walk up to see the ball drop.....I've never saw it live before....
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    All across the board. Some years we go to parties, some years we have a party, some years we stay home, some years we travel. It's always different. We always have fun though. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    i spent too many nye's at CHURCH. yes, CHURCH foos. i dumped that tradition about 8 years ago so from then on, its all about partying like a SUPERSTAR!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    I've never been a fan of the whole New Years crap. I always end up way too drunk at a party with shitty beer. I think this year I'm going to chill out a bit, get a bottle of wine, maybe have some friends over and just chill. Or i'll just go out and black out again :D
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    one radio station was giving away tickets...when I first heard it I thought... eww 'Kid Rock'....then it clicked when the radio person said something about it being a funny show...I was like oh....then I thought, let me see, and they had tickets available...I was surprised.....my seats are way up at the top but I'm sure the sound system is great:)

what the DEVIL is wrong with seeing KID ROCK ON NEW YEARS EVE!!!!!! i would LOVVVVVVVVE THAT!!!! oh my GODDDDDDDD.

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    I'm usually asleep by 10pm.

X-man, hmm...it's too bad you don't live in a city with any great New Year's festivities! ;):D
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    recently the hubby and I have been going for a nice dinner and relaxing the rest of the night because we have family over on New Years day.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    my wife worked last years and is working this years too (she's a nurse) so im just gonna stay at home with a nice bottle of wine and smoke some cigars with my dog :D New Years Eve message boarding sounds the order of the day/night.
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    When I was 13 I went to a kegger type party, except it was a lot bigger than your typical kegger type party. The house had a gigantic yard and the whole damn yard which included the back, sides, and front yard were jam-packed full of people, which I thought was pretty neat. For a 13 y/o, it was a pretty cool experience.

My dad was in the special forces when I was growing up, and he used to throw keggers at our house. Those got pretty wild at times because it was all these special forces guys and some of the fighter pilots from the nearby airbase would show up too.

Well, this kegger I went to when I was thirteen was way more out of control.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    When I was 13 I went to a kegger type party, except it was a lot bigger than your typical kegger type party. The house had a gigantic yard and the whole damn yard which included the back, sides, and front yard were jam-packed full of people, which I thought was pretty neat. For a 13 y/o, it was a pretty cool experience.

My dad was in the special forces when I was growing up, and he used to throw keggers at our house. Those got pretty wild at times because it was all these special forces guys and some of the fighter pilots from the nearby airbase would show up too.

Well, this kegger I went to when I was thirteen was way more out of control.

You've exceeded the quota for "Kegger" in a post

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    low lighterlow lighter Land down under Posts: 59
    I don't do a great deal, i've never been one for a huge night on nye, especially out clubbing or whatever, i cannot stand the behaviour of people out on nye so I sometimes have a BBQ and games night at my place.. i think that's what i'm doing this year too, much more fun and you can have a few drinks with your friends/family and it's much nicer.
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    I'll be working in the E.R. on New Years Eve, elbow deep in other peoples misadventures. Its always crazy !
  • Options
    Most New Years I party hard and get brutally drunk.... normally in Birmingham or at a friends house, but, due to said friends having a wee sproglet, they won't be having a party. I've been invited to London, Leicester, Coventry AND Birmingham (probably cuz i'm a party in a person :rolleyes: ) but you know what? I really can't be arsed to go.

Think i'm just gonna stay in with good friends and have a quiet on this year.... looking forward to that more than anything :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    Obi OnceObi Once Posts: 918
    The plan for this year sounds bad ass! Last year was a slow nite without going to a party, but this year we start we a party at a friend's place at 5pm, eat something and bust out the champagne at midnite and relocate to a party in an empty factory just outside the city, great location!
    your light's reflected now
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    For a long time we hosted a house party for all our neighbors so no one had to drive and the adults could spend it with their kids. Most of our neighborhood has either divorced or turned over, so we don't have the party anymore. Last year we went out for a 5 course wine tasting gourmet meal at a very good restaurant only 2 minutes from the house. This year we are having a few friends at the house for FONDUE!! We will be making cheese, seafood and then a chocolate fondues. This way dinner will be an all night affair.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    I'll be going on an all-inclusive dinner cruise on the Delaware River with fireworks at midnight at Penn's Landing. Should be a good time.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Stay in. Or at least stay off the roads. There's no real reason to go out that night.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    well i surely dont go to times square with 2 million tourists :eek:

31 years in nyc and ive never been there once for new years eve
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    well i surely dont go to times square with 2 million tourists :eek:

31 years in nyc and ive never been there once for new years eve

im disappointed. *sigh*

• Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    SENROCK! wrote:
    im disappointed. *sigh*

why??????? id rather party in a house

up there u cant drink or do anything in the streets,, i dont see the fun in that?
    plus u cant move,, no where to use bathrooms
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Party at my house. Stevie style.

And some dude from my neighborhood asked me if he could bring over a refridgerator full of beer. I looked at him like he was the Christ Almighty and almost kissed his feet!
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    You've exceeded the quota for "Kegger" in a post

;)

HOWL!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    I never used to to do much. The town where I lived was not convenient for taking a cab anywhere and I never wanted to be on the road with the drunks and the cops. I've done my share of driving under the influence but I never took chances on NYE, etc. So I usually stayed home, my mom would come over for snacks, couple of martinis and a movie. We'd never make it to midnight.

I bought a new house in my old town last year...cab-convenient! My mom had plans with her family in North Conway, NH so I booked a reservation for myself at my favorite restaurant. Cabbed it there, had a fantastic meal and several martinis. There were shots involved in there somewhere and I vaguely remember seeing the ball drop on TV there. I'm friendly with the owner of the place and a few of the regulars so I was surrounded by good people. I had a great time. Not sure what I'll do this year....maybe go there, maybe stay home....
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Well.....In 1992 I saw Pearl Jam and kissed Ed. :)

This year? Having a party...even though it is looking like there may only be 3 people at it (including me and my one year old....) I am making sure it is a PARTY....with some good food, drinks, other such fun...and lots of music. Oh yeah...and a fire in the fireplace.